Start by marking “Infinity and Zebra Stripes: Life with Gifted Children” as Want to Read:
Infinity and Zebra Stripes: Life with Gifted Children

Infinity and Zebra Stripes: Life with Gifted Children

All children deserve an appropriate educational challenge - but frustrating barriers and unexpected surprises often prevent this from happening. This is why parents need to speak up and effectively advocate for their children. In Infinity and Zebra Stripes, Wendy Skinner shares her family's story of struggle and eventual success in working with the school system to meet he ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Great Potential Press

To ask other readers questions about Infinity and Zebra Stripes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Infinity and Zebra Stripes

Kerry Kenney
Nov 15, 2015 Kerry Kenney rated it it was ok
Shelves: parenting
This book was a selection by my son's classroom teacher. It's an easy book to provoke discussion and I won't even get into gifted public education because why should I? The author certainly didn't. She invested some text in this slim volume to the fact that her son aced an IQ test with an IQ of 160 but added zero information about the veracity of IQ testing children. She agonized over kindergarten and math accceleration and meeting with her school and the switch from Spanish immersion school to ...more
Kirsten
Jul 06, 2016 Kirsten rated it it was ok
I had high hopes for the book. As a teacher of gifted students, parent of a gifted child, and someone who went through gifted education programs, I am always looking for books to recommend to parents. Instead, there were frequent self-reminders that the author was just trying to be the best advocate for her children. There were an excessive amount of examples to mark how gifted her children were. It drew away from the journey she was trying to illustrate.
Lisa
Jul 03, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it
I wish I had read this book earlier in my experience with my son's GIEP development. I found a lot of parallels between this mother's experiences and my own. I may not have had so much frustration over my son's teachers treating me like I was crazy if I had had this book!

The comments of others who find the author to be a braggart are unfair, in my opinion. The author's intent is to raise awareness and share her family's experiences.

Summer
Jul 13, 2008 Summer rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008
Fun memoir about raising two highly gifted children. This ended up depressing me because these kids had so many more options available to them then when I was a kid, and because here I am all grown up and my brain isn't as nimble anymore and I've lost my creativity and I just sit on the couch all evening reading comics, but that doesn't mean that this isn't a good book.
Marianna
First this book needed a better copy editor.

I felt like at times she came off as a little too much of a braggart with some of the anecdotes she included.
Mar 07, 2009 Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
Mother's reflections on learning her children were gifted...ended up browsing, did not hold my attention.
Kelly Lawson
Kelly Lawson marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
2eVillage~K
2eVillage~K marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Simone Anderson
Simone Anderson marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Jan-maree
Jan-maree marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Jennifer Sick
Jennifer Sick rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2015
Denise Yoh Meyer
Denise Yoh Meyer marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Julia Morum
Julia Morum marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Rachael Herbst
Rachael Herbst marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2013
Kendra
Kendra added it
Oct 02, 2013
Kristen Dorsett goode
Kristen Dorsett goode rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2013
Kathryn Elliott
Kathryn Elliott rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2013
Cora An
Cora An marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2013
Gifted &
Gifted & rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2012
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2012
Connie
Connie rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2011
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2010
Trevor
Trevor added it
Dec 01, 2009
Dawn
Dawn is currently reading it
Mar 07, 2009