Start by marking “Troll and the Oliver” as Want to Read:
Troll and the Oliver

Troll and the Oliver

There is a Troll, and there is an Oliver.

Every day Troll tries to eat the Oliver, but the Oliver just doesn't play fair.

Until one day Troll goes missing and the Oliver thinks he's won! But has he?

Fortunately for Trolls and Olivers everywhere, maybe there's a way that everyone can be happy...

Fabulous storytelling from Adam Stower who also brought us Silly Doggy and Naughty
Published September 1st 2013 by Templar Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Troll and the Oliver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Troll and the Oliver

Clouds
Nov 30, 2014 Clouds rated it it was amazing
My little boy, Fin, is 2 years and 5 months old.

Last week, he got his first library card, chose his first batch of library book, and checked them out all by himself - ("Finley do it!")

For me, this is definitely the pick of the bunch, joining a select bunch of 5-star picture books!

Let me count the awesomes:

1) The cover is thick cardboard, with holes cut through the gaps in the tree, to give a great 3D effect of Troll spying on the Oliver

2) Visual style - both cutesy and quirky, reminds me of Chri
78sunny
Feb 21, 2014 78sunny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 von 5 Sternen
*Aufmachung/Qualität*
Das Buch ist etwas ganz besonderes. Wie bei allen Langescheidt-Büchern ist das Hardcover wieder sehr hochwertig. Die Seiten sind schön stabil und gehen nicht so schnell kaputt, falls auch jüngere Kinder das Buch in die Hand bekommen.
Das Besondere ist aber das Cover. Es ist sozusagen 3D, der Zwischenraum zwischen den Bäumen ist ausgestanzt und man lugt mit Troll zusammen hindurch und sieht Oliver. Das Cover ist sehr stabil und man muss durch das Ausgestanzte n
Lynn
Aug 08, 2015 Lynn rated it really liked it
I loved the set-up of this fairy-tale like story with the ridiculously cute little boy avoiding and taunting the troll who tries to catch him - and then wham! The central reveal is a total surprise but what comes after is perfectly tuned to a 5 year old sense of humor. Terrific die-cut cover sets the stage for this really clever book.
Melissa
Nov 22, 2016 Melissa rated it it was amazing
So much to love about this book. It's clever and quirky and subversive. It has a twist (I love a twist) and songs. And cake! I recommend that grown-ups -- especially those faint of heart -- to read the book through once before reading aloud to children. And then read to children, often and with great feeling.

Stephanie
Nov 16, 2016 Stephanie rated it really liked it
This book was actually pretty cute. Funny little story to read to your little ones.
Kellie Fronk
I loved this book! It has a quirky feel to the illustrations that really help the reader get a feel for the different emotions the troll is feeling. It definitely did not turn out the way I thought it would, but I thought the twist was cute and fun. I liked the different perspective the author took on who is the main character, I thought it added to the uniqueness of the story.
Jacinda
Sep 23, 2016 Jacinda rated it it was amazing
Picture Book: This book was just lovely. I loved the illustrations and the story. I also love the surprise right before the end. It made me laugh out loud. I would definitely put this book in my classroom library.
Themistokeles
Oct 30, 2015 Themistokeles rated it really liked it
Bei diesem Kinderbuch merkt man einfach, dass es mit sehr viel Liebe zum Detail gestaltet wurde. Vor allen Dingen in den Bildern, in denen man immer wieder etwas Neues zu entdecken gibt und die einfach mit viel Liebe gezeichnet wurde. Besonders auch Troll gefällt mir dabei sehr, da er trotzdem er zunächst nicht ganz so nett scheint, nicht einen so arg bösen Eindruck macht.

Und neben den vielen schönen Bildern bietet das Buch noch einiges mehr zum Entdecken, denn schon allein das Cover ist dazu sc
Kelsey Sant
Sep 18, 2016 Kelsey Sant rated it really liked it
This is a cute, humorous little book. It is about a troll who is trying to eat "the oliver" and oliver keeps escaping. One day, Troll catches up, but they realize they both prefer eating cake to eating little boys. Mostly a fun read, this would be great for k-2 readers.
Anne-Marie
This was one of my top picture books for 2013 but I still haven’t written about it properly. It’s one of those books that you love so much so you know you can never do it justice and therefore don’t write about it at all. Well, that’s what I do…

Troll and the Oliver is funny and subversive. I adore subversive picture books. I’m afraid this is going to be a spoilery review, so be warned if you continue reading.

(view spoiler)
Amy
Jan 31, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: slj-reviews
PreS-Gr 2—Troll is determined to eat "the Oliver," an impish, red-haired little boy who delights in taunting him at every turn. Troll chases Oliver through woods and over bridges but is unable to catch his most coveted prey. Despondent, he decides to give up the chase and return to his hole to eat twigs while Oliver triumphantly goes home to bake himself a victory cake. Alas, just as Oliver is about to commence with the celebrations, Troll jumps out of the pantry and eats him in one gigantic ...more
Aylea
Oct 02, 2015 Aylea rated it it was amazing
This review was originally published at The Children's Book and Media Review

All Troll wants is to be able to eat an Oliver. However, catching an Oliver is tricky and no matter what Troll does, he has a hard time succeeding. Oliver won’t stand still and let himself get caught. By spring, Troll becomes discouraged because all he has had to eat are twigs and stones. The next day the Oliver is on the lookout for Troll, but Troll never comes. Just when Oliver thinks he has won, the tables turn and Tr
kleine_buecherinsel
Oliver ist ein mutiges Kind, welches mit viel Power und Ideenreichtum dem Troll begegnet. Der Troll sieht zwar ein wenig gruselig aus, aber man muss keine Angst vor ihm haben. Das wird den Kindern auch schnell klar. Eigentlich ist es ziemlich witzig, wie Oliver den Troll ärgert.
Die Illustrationen sind wie beim Schnuffi und der Mieze einfach nur herrlich. Sie passen zum Text und es macht riesen Spaß, sie sich einfach nur so anzuschauen. Denn sie erzählen die Geschichte in bildhafter Weise.

Der Te
Sandy Brehl
I was utterly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. It uses several structural elements very effectively- the heavy board/cut-out cover, the surprise fold-out interior page, and the delightfully clever semantic device of naming "the troll" TROLL, and naming Oliver as "the Oliver" and referring to him as "it".
Who can blame Troll for wanting to eat something besides sticks and twigs? That clever little Oliver takes huge satisfaction in eluding Troll, but the twist arrives when he's about to
Barbara
The lively ink and wash illustrations feature a troll and a boy who are engaged in a game of sorts. The troll is rather serious about catching the boy since he has every intention of eating him. The boy, Oliver, manages to outsmart that troll at every turn. But one day, the troll outsmarts the boy, hides in the cupboard, and gets ready to enjoy a little snack. Hmmm...as it turns out, Oliver doesn't taste very good, but the cake he's making does. Perhaps it's time for the troll to change his diet ...more
Kristina Jean Lareau
There is the Oliver and there is Troll. Troll really wants to eat Oliver, but Oliver outwits him constantly!

Using ink and wash to create dynamic and fun illustrations smattered with taunting speech bubbles, this picturebook would make a great read-aloud. It is fun and silly, with a great little twist.
Tara
Feb 22, 2016 Tara rated it it was amazing
This book is very, very funny with excellent comic pacing. It has inspired my 6 yo to read it aloud (despite the fact that he is learning to read in Dutch, not English) and to analyze the word usage and pictures, because it is that good. We have read it every night for the last three weeks, and it is still extremely funny. Highly recommend.
Kristen
Oct 07, 2015 Kristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This would be a fun choice for story time. I'd probably pair it with Dexter Bexley and the Big Blue Beastie, Hungry Hen, and maybe Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy or The Wolf's Chicken Stew.
Paula
Every day, Oliver goes to the shops and every day Troll tries to eat him. But Troll finds catching an Oliver is very tricky - he's too fast, too sneaky and too plain clever! It is only when it looks like Troll has given up and Oliver celebrates winning that - CHOMP!
Bmack
This is a really cute book about a troll who wants to eat Oliver but Oliver is too clever and can never be caught....until one day. Troll realizes that Olivers don't taste very good. You will have to read to see what Oliver's solution is.
E
Nov 02, 2015 E rated it it was amazing
A very cute story, perfect for read-alouds, and the plot twists will keep children guessing. I love how the author flipped our intended sympathies on their heads; Oliver is irritating and everyone will be rooting for the troll.
Jessica Lawson
Feb 04, 2016 Jessica Lawson rated it it was amazing
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! This is now absolutely a family favorite, right up there with THOSE DARN SQUIRRELS! Not only are the kids crazy about it, they actually act out the story around the house. I'll admit that the twist/surprise totally caught me off guard~ such a fun, fun, clever book!
Lynne Marie
Feb 22, 2016 Lynne Marie rated it it was amazing
OMG love this book - so many good elements. A Monster, a cute little boy nodding to Red Riding Hood, It's a trickster tale, and it has cake. Not to mention, good plot, with tension and great structure. Wish I had written it!
Rebecca Gomez
Oct 15, 2015 Rebecca Gomez rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Super cute, clever book. I enjoyed the perspective of the poor, hungry troll just trying to catch a good meal. And the little rhyming chants by "the Oliver" are a fun touch.
Lori
Sep 11, 2015 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
My 3 1/2 year old grandson made e read it to him three times in a row. It is what he calls "fun scary," especially since it has an ending that will please trolls and little boys.
Elizabeth Beverley
Oct 25, 2014 Elizabeth Beverley rated it liked it
Really enjoyable troll story, very fun & the revelation that trolls actually prefer cake to Oliver's is great.
Angelic
Mar 23, 2016 Angelic rated it liked it
I read it to my 2 year old. Really cute book about perseverance, determination and friendships. I'm kidding...lol.
Karyn The Pirate
Sing-songy book that put me in mind of the Gingerbread boy with a twist. Plus a Troll Cupcake recipe at the end only makes it more fun.
Ruth
Apr 13, 2016 Ruth rated it it was amazing
One of my kid's favorite picture books. It hits the target perfectly with a cute story and charming illustrations. It's earned a spot on the permanent bookshelf.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Hoot Owl, Master of Disguise
  • Beep! Beep! Go to Sleep!
  • Breathe
  • Fraidyzoo
  • My Dog, Bob
  • Marilyn's Monster
  • The Tea Party in the Woods
Adam completed a BA in Illustration at Norwich and an MA in Narrative Illustration at Brighton where he now lives and works. Adam is now represented by Arena agency.

Adam has a passion for drawing and a great love of traditional illustration. He specialises in fiction for children, editorial, character development and product design.

from http://www.worldofadam.com/main.htm
More about Adam Stower...