Start by marking “The Sleeping Warrior” as Want to Read:
The Sleeping Warrior

Read Excerpt

The Sleeping Warrior (Libby Butler #1)

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  38 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
LONDON solicitor Libby Butler’s life is in a mess. Her affair with her boss is going nowhere as is her position in a city law firm. A narrow escape from the knife of south London’s elusive serial murderer, The Vampire Killer, has challenged her outward bravado and left her nerves in tatters.

Paperback, 1st edition, 320 pages
Published September 14th 2013 by Ivy Moon Press (first published September 2nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Sleeping Warrior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sleeping Warrior

Maxine  (Booklover Catlady)
What a freaking awesome book! I started this last night and was up to 50% with my eyes closing and nearly falling out of my head, I was fighting sleep to finish it but alas, The Sandman got to me. I woke this morning and didn't even have breakfast or coffee before I got stuck back into it again. I loved the fact that I went in to this book with hardly any expectations of it and it turned out to be one of my favourite reads of the year (2014).

Let me tell you why shall I?

LONDON solicitor Libby But
Dianne
Do we all have a sleeping warrior within ourselves? Does it take one significant event to bring it out? Libby is a London solicitor whose life is in turmoil. When she just barely escapes from the clutches of The Vampire Killer, her life takes a turn that will lead her into a dark world she never thought could exist, as well as a man who is more than he seems. Gabriel is on the hunt for a stone, one that is beyond imagination in worth and this ancient warrior has Libby standing up and paying atte ...more
Liz Barnsley
When duty calls Libby to a police station in the middle of the night, she meets the enigmatic Gabriel Radley. Dressed like an ancient warrior, Gabriel has a habit of disappearing from police custody and danger appears to dog him.

Thoroughly enjoyed this – you know in the kind of way that makes you remember the joy of your first of any type of novel – I dived right in and found myself caught up in a strange and wonderful world sitting right next to reality…

Libby is such an engaging character – and
Bill Kirton
Sep 04, 2013 Bill Kirton rated it it was amazing
This really is an intelligent, clever book. And that’s precisely the sort of sentence that could put off potential readers so let me qualify it. I don’t mean that it uses long, posh words or that its characters sit around sipping absinthe and talking about Plato. No, the intelligence is that of the author, who’s deliberately set out to follow a piece of advice one often hears – write what you’d like to read. In one of her author interviews, she revealed that she’s always read fantasy and so want ...more
Barbara Ann
Oct 03, 2013 Barbara Ann rated it really liked it
When I travel, I enjoy dining at eateries that reflect the local flavor of the area I’m visiting, and I tend to bypass major restaurant chains whenever possible. I used to wonder why someone visiting small town, USA, for example, would choose to stop at a McDonald’s over the one and only small town diner that you wouldn’t find anywhere else. McDonald’s restaurants are practically everywhere and you can always eat there, so why pass up an opportunity to sample some local cuisine? I now see that i ...more
Lucy Catten
May 10, 2016 Lucy Catten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
This book came highly recommended by a fellow bookworm. I couldn’t wait to read it so a huge thank you to Sara Bain for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review.

As any of you that know me will be aware, my TBR list sits at about 4 years long so it takes a pretty interesting-sounding read to push its way to the front of the queue. This is what happened here...

What the blurb says:

LONDON solicitor Libby Butler’s life is in a self-inflicted mess. Her affair with her boss is going nowhere
Steve
Nov 06, 2014 Steve rated it liked it
Shelves: recommended
I know, you see three stars and you pause, should you read this? My answer is yes. The is a wonderfully written piece of supernatural fiction.
The characters have many flaws they must overcome in order to try and catch a killer. Flaws of vanity, hypocrisy , moral values, just to name a few. They are all brought together by a supernatural being who shows them how to get past their shortcomings. Along the way, the discuss many moral and religious issues confronting society today. These conversatio
Karen
Oct 13, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
The 1st novel by Sara Bain and what an excellent story, well written and a page turner.

Having met the 'heroine' Libby in Sara's 2nd novel The Ghost Tree, I was intrigued to find out where Libby had started her literary form. I will say that at no point whilst reading this book did it feel like a 1st novel, the story ripped along with twists and turns keeping the suspense right up to the end.

What I liked was that all the characters were well rounded, evil or otherwise. Very clever tension scenes
Renita D'Silva
Nov 03, 2014 Renita D'Silva rated it it was amazing
What a fabulous book! A truly original story, one I couldn’t put down. A wonderful way to spend my Sunday evening. Once I started reading I was hooked and would not be swayed until I had read the last page. This book has everything: a serial killer, a Russian assassin called Rose Red, an ancient warrior in Gabriel, mystery, intrigue and action all served with ladles of humour. I absolutely adored Libby. She is the funniest, bravest, most original heroine I have had the pleasure of getting to kno ...more
Anne Stenhouse
Oct 27, 2013 Anne Stenhouse rated it it was amazing
Sara Bain's debut novel for Ivy Moon press is an exciting compilation of modernity and fantasy. Complex strands of theme and plot are woven together. London lawyer, Libby Butler, is a sharp modern success, but beneath her façade lies a troubled soul. She first encounters Gabriel Radley when called to a police station to defend him. Is he a serial killer? Is Libby on his hit-list: she's certainly on someone's. At times the novel reminded me of a great river, like the Amazon, seen in aerial shots. ...more
Jola
Jan 19, 2014 Jola rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. The main character, Libby Butler, is very unique. I liked that she's flawed, it brings much more realistic trait to her. Gabriel Radley is an interesting character also and I couldn't wait to find out more about his mysterious life.
I'm glad that it wasn't just a typical fantasy story, that it had a crime mystery compelling enough to keep me at the edge of my seat.
It was a very good debut novel and I'm sure I'll read other works by Sara Bain.
Thnaks for sendi
Glenn Conley
Nov 12, 2014 Glenn Conley rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This book is just a really bad Law & Order episode. And I fucking hate Law & Order. Can't stand that stupid show. This book does have some supernatural elements, but still, it's mostly procedural bullshit.

The book starts like this: some guy shows up at a police station in London, looking like a bum, smelling like a bum, and pretty much ruining everyone's day. So, this lawyer chick comes to the rescue, at like 2 AM in the morning. Who needs a lawyer at 2 AM? Nobody does.

The lawyer chick f
Debbie
Sep 07, 2014 Debbie rated it really liked it
Libby, the duty solicitor, answers her phone one night and finds herself embroiled in a fight of good vs evil. But she isnt too sure which side she needs to be on, and who else is on which side. Searching for the stone that will help, the death toll rises, and Libby is forced to find herself, and face who she has become.

Interesting, different, gripping but left soooooooooo open ended! Sara Bain tells me, she meant to leave you with questions, since life doesnt always provide the answers, but but
Red Lace
Sep 21, 2014 Red Lace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers wanting a mix of fantasy, mystery and crime
Woken up in the middle of the night, Libby Butler has no choice but to rush into work as the on-duty solicitor and offer her services to a very strange man wearing battle attire. With a killer on the loose appropriately named "Dracula", a beautiful warrior searching for a powerful stone, and a cult rampaging about the city, she has no idea just how much her life is going to change from that night on, with herself in the centre of it all.

(I received this book from the author in exchange for an ho
Tracey-anne McCartney
Okay, so I've just finished reading 'The Sleeping Warrior'. What an amazing debut!

Author Sara Bain writes in a beautifully captivating way, enticing the reader to turn page after page until the book is finished. Just when you think you have the story-line all figured out, the author takes you off in a different direction.

To start with, I connected with the gritty South London vibe. Every place mentioned, I know well, which drew me in even more. The author's description is spot-on, it really fe
Maxine
Jan 23, 2015 Maxine rated it it was amazing
I was given this book by the author for the purposes of providing an honest review.

It took me a couple of chapters to get into this book, however once I did I loved it. There is a mix of Police procedural crime, with fantasy, a serial killer, a little romance and some cracking twists.

I loved the fact that the novel had the classic Good v Evil conflict, but also took the main character on a personal journey of reform. She (along with most of the other main characters) emerge at the end, significa
Kelly Smith Reviews
Dec 30, 2013 Kelly Smith Reviews rated it really liked it
Libby Butler was attacked by the serial killer the police are calling “the Vampire Killer” and it leaves the tough lawyer with shot nerves. After that, it all seems to go downhill for her: her boss and lover was seen with another, younger, employee and her new client just might get her killed.

Gabriel Radley is enigmatic, accused to be the killer Scotland yard is looking for, but all be wants is to find this stone be has lost which, be claims, has unimaginable value.

A cult is now after him and Li
Shirley Golden
Sep 10, 2015 Shirley Golden rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed 'The Sleeping Warrior' for its mix of crime and fantasy. Libby is a feisty, solicitor, and well-drawn character, who develops as the story unfolds. She isn't immediately likeable but she is a flawed, interesting character, and one I warmed to as I read on. Gabriel is an enigmatic, attractive character right from the off, and the connection between Libby and him is clear.

The mystery of what Gabriel might be helps to give the narrative impetus. A particular highlight for me was t
Nora Moffat
Nov 16, 2014 Nora Moffat rated it it was amazing
This book had me hooked from the very beginning. I don't want to give away anything about the plot, I love the way the story is laid out, you are just given enough information about the plot and characters to keep you hooked but not enough to predict what is going to happen. The book is superbly written and I cannot wait for her next novel.

Libby is introduced to us as a chaotic character, whose life is a mess but there is something vulnerable about her that makes her extremely likeable and draws
Zarah
Sep 15, 2013 Zarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a2r-done
4.5
I generally thought this was an entertaining story with a number of interesting, seemingly independent threads that eventually wind together into a neat little package. There were some interesting characters. I particularly liked Libby, Gabriel, Rose and Lars (as we're supposed to). It was also interesting to see, what would otherwise be considered bad guys, fighting on the side of good. That seems to be a sub-theme (is there such a thing?) of the book. Actions alone aren't enough to judge th
Terry Reid
Jan 11, 2014 Terry Reid rated it it was amazing
The Sleeping Warrior tells the tale of Libby, an alcoholic 28-year-old London lawyer who is suddenly catapulted into the criminal underworld after she meets the dark, handsome and mysterious Gabriel Radley. Gabriel has no memory of who he is but it quickly becomes apparent that a lot of people want him dead.

Libby was a great protagonist and I hope she appears in a sequel. Instead of being a cliché of the typical female heroine, Libby is much rougher around the edges. She drinks too much, has an
Sonya Alford
Mar 17, 2016 Sonya Alford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was sent a copy of this book by the publisher in return for an honest review.

Libby Butler’s life is in a bit of a mess. Working as a solicitor in a prestigious London law firm her career appears to be at a standstill. Her rather ill-advised affair with her boss isn’t really doing her any good either. To top it all off Libby has a terrifying encounter in a park late at night with what is presumed to be the Vampire Killer, an evil knife-wielding maniac. She is lucky to escape but this incident o
Mrs D Whitehead
Feb 20, 2016 Mrs D Whitehead rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

I read the second book before this, the first book but thankfully both are complete stories in their own right.

I enjoyed book 2 but loved this one. Libby is my kind of woman and I enjoyed her acerbic wit which makes you smile even when she's in danger.
The story is well written, fast paced and very believable and entertaining. It's a book that has you wondering what's happening while you're busy doing other things!
You can understand, like and/or loath the characters, their reactions and
Kathee
Sep 27, 2015 Kathee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars.
rachel
Jun 24, 2016 rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

A really good read with twists and turns. I was not Disappointed. Good characters. Read this in a day. Go on buy the book.
J.B. Simmons
Nov 29, 2013 J.B. Simmons rated it really liked it
This is a great story of good versus evil in a modern world infused with fantastical touches. Author Sara Bain weaves different genres and styles together nicely. The book took a few good, unexpected turns. I liked the complexity of varying characters driving the plot, but for me, the compelling centerpiece was the character Gabriel, and the ending left me wanting to know more. Who is this mysterious man?
Lisa Short
Lisa Short marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Sherry Murray
Sherry Murray marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Jody Sunderland
Jody Sunderland marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Making Connections: 1637. - THE SLEEPING WARRIOR by Sara Bain 16 76 Jan 12, 2014 08:16AM
UK Amazon Kindle ...: Crossing the genres Sara Bain 19 25 Sep 08, 2013 04:23AM
Sara is an author of fantasy and paranormal fiction.
She is a freelance newspaper journalist, press and media officer, graphic designer and photographer and has her own publishing company called Ivy Moon Press.
More about Sara Bain...