Start by marking “Stormsinger (Storms in Amethir, #1)” as Want to Read:
Stormsinger (Storms in Amethir, #1)

Stormsinger (Storms in Amethir #1)

Captain Arama Dzornaea thought she was just supposed to transport Crown Prince Vistaren Doth'Mara to meet his contracted bride. As the king's top privateer, she thinks she can handle anything. What Arama doesn't anticipate is storms out of season, an unruly stormwitch, and a strange witchery echo that puts Arama, her ship the Dawn Star, and everyone aboard smack in the ...more
Published August 28th 2013 by Stephanie Cain

To ask other readers questions about Stormsinger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stormsinger

Saruuh Kelsey
Jun 04, 2016 Saruuh Kelsey rated it it was amazing
Super cute, and exciting, and so damn intriguing. I LOVE Arama and Lo and I need them to be H.E.A. There's a gay main character, which is awesome. It's set on A SHIP which is my favourite setting of all the settings. Plus it has a really unique sea creature. And it's a quick read. And it's free!! (as of 05.06.16) Excited to read more books!
Elissa
Oct 25, 2016 Elissa rated it it was amazing
Pirates and princes and witches and stormsingers--oh, my! This charming short story/novella is a compelling tale of its own and a wonderful introduction to a series that I can't wait to read.
A.K. Lindsay
Jul 30, 2015 A.K. Lindsay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommended, fantasy, gay, deaf
Wow! This is such an amazing read. Fast-paced, with a diverse and interesting cast that I immediately connected with, and an intriguing world.

Arama is strong, touch, and competent. She has an air of mystery that made me want to read on about her. Her complicated relationship with Lo has me longing to see them both again, and hoping for a happily ever after between them at some point.

I loved seeing a gay prince, even if he was on his way to an arranged (het) marriage. His commitment to doing wh
Erisel
Sep 09, 2016 Erisel rated it really liked it
Lovely read if rushed

Mind you, I know this is a short story, but something about this tale seemed rushed through. Like there were tons of parts skipped over. Or maybe I just want to read a longer version of it. But the world itself sounded interesting and I'm a sucker for love stories that don't just begin with happily ever after so awesome and lovely read altogether.
Quartzen
Sep 06, 2016 Quartzen rated it liked it
A short, fast read about a privateer escorting a prince by sea to meet his arranged bride and an unexpected danger that only the stormwitch aboard can stop. I liked the weather magic quite a bit, but unfortunately most of the page space was taken up by the will-they-won't-they romance between the privateer and the general escorting the prince and the prince's anxiety about meeting his bride and whether she'll understand that he's exclusively attracted to men, neither of which are resolved in ...more
Anneke
Jul 28, 2015 Anneke rated it really liked it
A short novella introducing a world of woman privateers, gay princes forced to marry and unexperienced stormwitches tasked to bring the ship safely through their sea voyage... sounds good, doesn't it? And it makes for good reading as well. S. A. Cain is a talented storyteller; she has a way with words and descriptions. I like the characters she introduces in "Stormsinger", even though about seventy pages don't very much space for intense personality representation. Means, I'll have to go and get ...more
Laura Baugh
Aug 29, 2013 Laura Baugh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
"Whenever that particularly disconcerting [romantic] desire hit her, she went looking for a Strid ship to attack. Blowing things up always made her feel better."

And that's when I decided I would enjoy reading about Captain Arama Dzornaea.

This novelette manages to weave several stories together as Arama, a stormwitch, a young prince, and a singer wrestle individually and together with their conflicting longings. There are hints of a much greater world than we see, which I expect will be explored
Furio
Oct 15, 2013 Furio rated it really liked it
Disguised as a fantasy short story, what we get here is an apparently casual snapshot of a short time lapse in the life of four characters plus one creature.

There is nothing particularly new nor original: every detail of setting and characterization has been read several times before and yet the author manages a tight, compelling plot with characters caught in the middle of their own relatable struggles.
The captain, who is by far the most complex one, could have used a little more shading: her r
Chasia Lloyd
Jul 13, 2016 Chasia Lloyd rated it really liked it
Really fun (perma-freebie!) novella with an interesting ensemble of characters. The story itself was a bit missing, but I loved the stormwitch/stormsinger/leviathan lore packed into this high seas adventure. Plus bonus gay prince main character, who doesn't like that?

Definitely would like to read more in this series!
Jenny Koch
Quick, cute freebie but I don't really see it as having a high re-read potential for me. It seemed more like a prequel short than a full, complete story.
Jan
Jan rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2014
Theresa Farris
Theresa Farris rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2016
Denise Dukette
Denise Dukette rated it did not like it
Sep 09, 2016
Timothy D Jones
Timothy D Jones rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2016
Kim Mcfarland
Kim Mcfarland rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Boo Hooper
Boo Hooper rated it it was ok
May 22, 2014
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2013
Inamoena
Inamoena rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2015
Grace
Grace rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Waheela
Waheela rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2016
Bre
Bre rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Harmony Williams
Harmony Williams rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2015
Dawn
Dawn rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2014
Tamara
Tamara rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2014
Jennifer Decker
Jennifer Decker rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2014
Candice
Candice rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2015
Jason Corfman
Jason Corfman rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2016
Glenn Nichols
Glenn Nichols rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
Danielle Rainwater
Danielle Rainwater rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Sarajeanie
Sarajeanie rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2016

Stephanie A. Cain writes epic and urban fantasy for fun and a history blog for work. She lives in Indiana. She enjoys hiking, reading, singing, and general geekery. She has three cats, which she is well aware puts her firmly in crazy cat lady territory, and way more dice and painted miniatures than she needs.
More about Stephanie A. Cain...

Storms in Amethir (3 books)
  • Stormshadow (Storms in Amethir, #2)
  • Stormseer