Start by marking “The Lost Years (The Lost Years of Merlin, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lost Years (The Lost Years of Merlin, #1)

The Lost Years (Merlin #1)

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  13,999 Ratings  ·  588 Reviews
When Merlin, suffering from a case of severe amnesia, discovers his strange powers, he becomes determined to discover his identity and flees to Fincayra where he fulfills his destiny, saving Fincayra from certain destruction and claiming his birthright and true name.
Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Published July 2nd 2002 by Ace (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Years, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Richard It is explained later in the series. In the Wings of Merlin.

Paul Sheckarski
Oct 15, 2010 Paul Sheckarski rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the prose, particularly when it describes the natural world. However, the novel is poorly plotted, with the protagonist bouncing from one coincidental encounter to the next. Nearly every problem is solved by something fortuitously dropping from the sky, appearing out of the blue, etc. No fewer than FIVE chapters end with the protagonist falling unconscious. Once is a cliche; five times is an offense against literature. The protagonist is almost willfully stupid. Either that or the auth ...more
Jeremey Christian
Feb 05, 2013 Jeremey Christian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading The Lost Years Of Merlin series when I was in Middle School. From what I remember, I LOVED them and decided to re-read them now, over 10 years later. I still enjoyed the book, but did not find it as amazing as I did when I was little.

Emrys does not know who he is, who his parents are, or what his real name is. After a terrible fire that leaves him almost blind, Emrys sets out to sea to find where he belongs. He finds himself in a terrible storm and is washed onto a shore, half
Norah Una Sumner
Real rating; 3.5.

Too much description for my taste.If there's one thing I don't like it's a book whose plot is really good but has too many unnecessary descriptions.I don't really care how the sky looked when Emrys woke up or how the grass smelled when he traveled.I kind of liked Shim,but Rhia is a different story-you know I'm not a fan of insta-connection between characters.I'm also not liking the fact that Emrys saved his cruel father but left his mother easily.I mean,the woman took care of yo
Nada Sobhi
Merlin: The Lost Years is the first installment in the Merlin Saga by T. A. Barron. The prologue is written in the third person, while the rest of the novel is narrated in the first person by a 12-year-old Merlin, or as he is called throughout the novel, Emrys.

The opening lines of the story remind the reader of the popular scene when an arm rises from the water holding Excalibur.

Emrys washes up on a shore, alone at first, and has no memory of who he is and how or why he got to this place. He no
Patrícia
Opinião completa, aqui:

Que jovem nunca desejou ser uma personagem, um confidente ou um mero ajudante numa qualquer aventura ímpar de um dos maiores magos de todos os mitos e lendas? Que sonhador nunca ponderou acerca da ideia imaginária de espalhar magia por um mundo que, demasiadas vezes, se vê perpetrado pelas trevas? E que mente desperta nunca antes idealizou a infância, a juventude de alguém que admira, ou de alguém cujo um dia gostaria de ser?

Merlin
Maree
Jun 28, 2011 Maree rated it liked it
I really think that the whole foundation for this story and series is really solid, especially in relation to the title, which I think is perfect. The Lost Years of Merlin, where he is not only kind of lost, wandering around wondering where he belongs, but these stories of his youth have been lost to time as well. And Merlin's youth, be him the wizard or simply wise man of King Arthur lore, has got to be one of the most interesting parts of the story, though one we know nothing about. Barron's t ...more
Tokio Myers
Apr 04, 2016 Tokio Myers rated it really liked it
To tell the truth this is a three star book. The story is very predictable and the characters are somewhat bland. Merlin complains a lot and only cares about himself at first which works for his character but causes me to find it hard to relate to him. I guess I have nothing in common with eight year old boy who knew. The thing that caused me to give this book four stars is the world building. For a book that has simplistic writing the world was very detailed and magical. T.A Barron doesn't expl ...more
Fernanda
:/ wellllll....
não gostei por ai alem.
não consegui de facto sentir empatia pelos personagens, pelo que a historia em si não me seduziu minimamente.
apesar de a escrita ser fluida e os personagens bem caracterizados, o tema não é para mim garantia de uma boa historia.
fica com as 3* porque apesar de tudo gosto do "Merlin" :P
R. L. Snowe
Jun 04, 2015 R. L. Snowe rated it did not like it
I could not finish this book after five chapters; it was just so boring and icky. Dull, dull, dull. I didn't like it ok?
Millicent Prendergild, Cybrarian
The Lost Years of Merlin is the initial installment of the five book series chronicling Merlin’s life as a boy, a prequel to Arthurian legend. It follows the ambiguous details of Emry’s obscure youth and the path he followed leading to the emergence of his magic and the wizarding name he proclaimed of Merlin. Barron’s imagineering of this portion of the great wizard’s life gives new depth to the renowned character as we see his life through the eyes of a young boy.

The story opens with a dream se
Anastasia
Oct 08, 2016 Anastasia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, fantasy
ich würde sooooooo gerne ein buch aus der sicht von dem mädchen lesen :o <3
Nuno Ferreira
Ouvir falar no nome de Merlin, o sábio feiticeiro e conselheiro do Rei Artur, sempre despertou algum fascínio dentro de mim. Mas este livro deitou por terra todas as minhas expectativas. Já quando peguei nele e vi uma alusão a Harry Potter na capa, pensei: um livro que vai agradar aos fãs de Harry Potter? Bem, nunca fui fã do Harry Potter, mas não há como experimentar. A leitura começou lenta, as primeiras cem páginas do livro foram em slow-motion, achei até algo aborrecidas as descrições. De re ...more
Jarrett K
Dec 02, 2010 Jarrett K rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Skylar7879
Sep 15, 2016 Skylar7879 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read the whole series and I love it, the fantasy aspect and the amazing characters will hook you on the series really quickly.
Ruth E. R.
I just want to point out that after I had been recommending this book to my 12/13-year-old niece, and pulled it out for her on a recent trip to the library, she suddenly blurted out that she had not known it was about a boy! She had thought it was about a grownup man, which was her only reason for not being interested in reading it. I hope she gets around to reading it soon! Also has a 13-year-old girl in it, who can "never have enough honey." My niece LOVES honey!

This series must not be creatin
Elphaba J
Opinião completa em: http://historiasdeelphaba.blogspot.pt...

«ara todos aqueles que sempre tiveram curiosidade a respeito do mago mais famoso de todos os tempos, T. A. Barron idealizou uma narrativa que remete o leitor para a infância desta maravilhosa personagem num universo fervilhante em criaturas mágicas, com aventuras emocionantes em cenários extraordinários, que agradará a todos os leitores jovens de fantasia épica.

Com uma nota de autor interessante que oferece a quem lê a possibilidade de
Gail
Jul 06, 2012 Gail rated it really liked it
I love stories about Merlin, King Arthur and knights, etc. I read these books a long time ago and decided to read them again. I really like this book and am anxious to reread the other ones in this series. Emrys is washed up on shore with his mother and has no memory of where he came from or anything about his life before. He helps a woman on shore and she tells him, she is his mother, but he feels that since she won't tell him about his past that she isn't really his mother. After some things h ...more
Annika
Apr 16, 2012 Annika rated it it was amazing
I adore these books. Don't let the thought of "young adult" dissuade you from reading them. I read them the first time when I was 13, re-read them again at 18, and now at 23 own them and read them for leisure at various times when I'm in between quality books. They're chalk full of fascinating characters, plot twists, enriching and exotic places, evil villains, beautiful love stories...these five books have it all. In my humble opinion, they're books that don't come along often. I wish they had ...more
Mary JL
Jan 28, 2014 Mary JL rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: YA readers
I rated this book two stars only because of a lot of flaws. However, I rate books on how I feel about them now. I will freely admit had I read this book at age 12 or so, I would have not hesitated to give it three stars.

The plot is self-explanatory from the title---Merlin as a youth, before he was known as a wizard. There was some very good writing in places and some good ideas---but also too many co-incidences and careless writing.

And frankly, I am really not a huge Merlin fan--I wanted to see
Lily
Mar 15, 2015 Lily rated it liked it
Mariam
“Stories help me. To live. To work. To find the meaning hidden in every dream, ever leaf, every drop of dew.”

Like other reviewers have said before, there is too much description in this book. It's nice to have a little, but Barron used way too much. It would have been better with more dialogue.

Emrys, (later known as Merlin) Shim, and Rhia all have individual and unique personalities. The side characters weren't as good, but were still exciting. (I wish Barron did more showing then telling their
Sharon
Mar 21, 2011 Sharon rated it it was ok
What a lame read. I was REALLY disappointed. After Avalon totally winning my heart, this was a huge let-down. Merlin was a prideful, ignorant, annoying guy that got himself into all sorts of trouble because of his own stupid mistakes. And for what? To become the most famous wizard of all time? Sheesh.
I admit Hallia and her brother were fairly cool, but Rhiannon was the only I really liked. It DID help enlighten me on some stuff in the Avalon series since this a prequel series, but the whole sti
Tara
Sep 25, 2011 Tara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't knock it till you try it. This book is obviously intended for a younger audience but should not be underestimated. I re-read this book atleast once every two years. The narator explains all that is happening with the most vivid detail. There are also some really surprising moments in the book that show you a glimpse of the message behind the story. This book is filled with many beautifuly written verses that could be as easily from a great work of literature as a adolesence fantasy book.
Zachary White
Having read the story of Emrys when I was a child, I hoped dearly going into this that it would be as exciting as I remember it being.

It was.

Yes, the author at times used stories that were not as amazing as my prepubescent mind remembers, but such is the work of nostalgia. All in all, I have a feeling I will be diving back into the whole series.
Lindsical
Jul 14, 2012 Lindsical rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This fantasy novel is rich with creative and lovable characters and a lush environment that will instantly draw you in. The book begins with excitement and mystery, intriguing you to read further. I can't wait to continue on with this series! Barron's writing is fun and he paints a great story of his theory on Merlin's young adult years.
Laulitta
L'auteur revient sur le mythe de Merlin en s'attaquant à une partie peu développée de sa vie : son enfance. Un récit peuplé de péripéties dans lequel Merlin part à l'aventure dans une quête de soi.
Mon avis avec plus de détails sur Songe d'Une Nuit d'Ete : http://songedunenuitdete.com/2016/03/...
Dominic Ferro
Jun 15, 2016 Dominic Ferro rated it liked it
Evan Hays
Nov 22, 2014 Evan Hays rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Finally got through this one too. Really quite good for a first time effort in children's fantasy. Definitely good enough that I will read the rest of this series soon. A good balance of history, fantasy, mythology, and just good story telling. I also think it set up well for a longer series. The fact that this author was mentored by Madeline L'Engle shows up strong.
Carol
Aug 29, 2012 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Encontré estos libros de churro en la librería, hace unos años, nada más compré el primero para ver qué tal estaba y no me duró ni un día.
Es la historia de Merlín cuando muy joven. El muchacho queda ciego y debe aprender a ver con su ojo interior, y es así como empieza a descubrir que puede ver mucho mejor y puede hacer muchas más cosas.
James
Apr 05, 2016 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book for all ages.

In this excellent tale of the wizard between the mortal and divine, voices appear in Merlin's head and he wants his memory back to know who and what he is. Later Merlin learns, like Luke Sky Walker in Star Wars, that his father is the evil one. It is in Chapter 4 "Sacred Time" that Merlin recreates the classic myth of the eternal return, rebirth.

Favorite characters 1 6 Mar 02, 2015 01:24PM
fantasy book review 1 17 Jul 02, 2012 01:03PM
  • Sword of the Rightful King
  • I Am Mordred
  • The Princess, the Crone, and the Dung-Cart Knight (The Squire's Tales, #6)
  • The Broken Sword (Forever King, #2)
  • The Seeing Stone (Arthur Trilogy, #1)
  • Goblins in the Castle
  • Here Lies Arthur
  • The Arkadians
  • Land of Loss (Everworld, #2)
  • Colors in the Dreamweaver's Loom
  • A Wizard Alone (Young Wizards, #6)
  • The Book of Mordred
  • The Battle for the Castle (The Castle in the Attic, #2)
  • Castaways of the Flying Dutchman (Flying Dutchman, #1)
  • Lancelot Du Lethe
  • Above the Veil (The Seventh Tower, #4)
  • The Idylls of the Queen: A Tale of Queen Guenevere
T.A. Barron grew up in Colorado ranch country and traveled widely as a Rhodes Scholar. He is the winner of the de Grummond Medallion for “lifetime contribution to the field of children’s and young adult literature” and many other awards. T. A. Barron is the author of more than 30 highly acclaimed books, many of which are international bestsellers. They include The Lost Years of Merlin (now being d ...more
More about T.A. Barron...

Merlin (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Seven Songs (Merlin Saga, #2)
  • The Raging Fires (Merlin Saga, #3)
  • The Mirror of Fate (Merlin Saga, #4)
  • A Wizard's Wings (Merlin Saga, #5)
  • The Dragon of Avalon (Merlin Saga, #6)
  • Doomraga's Revenge (Merlin Saga, #7)
  • Ultimate Magic (Merlin Saga, #8)
  • The Great Tree of Avalon (Merlin Saga, #9)
  • Shadows on the Stars (Merlin Saga, #10)
  • The Eternal Flame (Merlin Saga, #11)

“And I came to understand, in a way I never had before, that books are truly the stuff of miracles. I even dared to dream that someday, somehow, I might surround myself with books from many times and many tongues...” 22 likes
“As the wind swelled, my tree started to sway. Almost like a human body it swung back and around, gently at first, then more and more wildly. While the swaying intensified, so did my fears that the trunk might snap and hurl me to the ground. But in time my confidence returned. Amazed at how the tree could be at once so flexible and so sturdy, I held on tight as it bent and waved, twisted and swirled, slicing curves and arcs through the air. With each graceful swing, I felt less a creature of the land and more a part of the wind itself.
"The rain began falling, it's sound merging with the splashing river and the singing trees. Branches streamed like waterfalls of green. Tiny rivers cascaded down every trunk, twisting through moss meadows and bark canyons. All the while, I rode out the gale. I could not have felt wetter. I could not have felt freer.
"When, at last, the storm subsided, the entire world seemed newly born. Sunbeams danced on rain-washed leaves. Curling columns of mist rose from every glade. The forest's colors shown more vivid, its smells struck more fresh. And I understood, for the first time in my life, that the Earth was always being remade, that life was always being renewed. That it may have been the afternoon of this particular day, but it was still the very morning of Creation.”
11 likes