Start by marking “A Concise History of Modern India” as Want to Read:
A Concise History of Modern India

A Concise History of Modern India (Cambridge Concise Histories)

In a second edition of their successful Concise History of Modern India, Barbara Metcalf and Thomas Metcalf explore India's modern history afresh and update the events of the last decade. These include the takeover of Congress from the seemingly entrenched Hindu nationalist party in 2004, India's huge advances in technology and the country's new role as a major player in w ...more
Published October 9th 2006 by Cambridge University Press (first published October 1st 2001)

Priscilla Ferrara
Feb 02, 2015 Priscilla Ferrara rated it liked it
A great resource for South Asian history, which is quite a feat! India has a very complex history and it was very hard for me to crack into it. However, the book provides a great reference point and overview to refer back to. The only setback of this book was the dry writing style.
Tarun Gupta
Feb 19, 2012 Tarun Gupta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, ias
D. Metcalf has tried well to present the Indian history in a very small book. be concise and sense of completeness is very hard to accomplish. This book is base for awareness building about India.
Sydney O
Feb 22, 2017 Sydney O rated it really liked it
Shelves: history-travel
I really enjoyed this book. The information was presented chronologically in a way that made it easy to follow and easy to keep track of the people involved. (The writing is academic, not flowy- which I found helpful in this case). There was a lot of detail, but you have to remember that it says 'concise' in the title; so, there are quite a few points missing.
Overall, there was a lot of useful information in this book, and it was presented in a fairly neutral manner with a lot of details that he
Scott Strand
Nov 11, 2016 Scott Strand rated it liked it
It's exactly as advertised: concise (very), historical (in the academic sense of the term), and focused on Modern India (with regrettably little exploration of the profound depths of political and religious history that led to modern events).

The Metcalfs deserve applause for condensing 450 years of history - in a region better classified as a continent than a country - into 362 pages. More than a year a page! Seriously, wow! They cover the highlights, the major figures (their sketch of Nehru's
Colin
Sep 11, 2014 Colin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
India is a really fascinating country. Unfortunately, this is possibly too concise to really do it justice. There is little time to cover many things in great detail, which leads to it being rather difficult to get in to. Additionally, I wasn't too impressed by the quality of the prose. There are several sentences that are very heavy on subclauses, with some that could do with being left to the end of sentences or cut out entirely. Nevertheless, in a short page limit Metcalf seems to do a good j ...more
Bertport
Feb 10, 2014 Bertport rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this is a good way to get yourself orientated with Indian history from the Mughal period to the present. I was mainly just trying to get to know the lay of the land, so to speak, establishing some rough familiarity with major events, people, and trends. There were some interpretive surprises for me, too, though. The authors write that in the Mughal Empire, Muslim and Hindu had more in common, and worked together more harmoniously, than has been commonly thought, and that the social diffe ...more
James Benenson
Jan 07, 2008 James Benenson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After going there I realized I knew next to nothing about the factors that shape modern Indian views of the world; after reading this I realized I barely knew anything at all about India.

This is a fascinating, dense, readable history that i would highly recommend to anyone with plans to travel to India, or who wants to better understand this up and coming world power.

Greg
Aug 30, 2008 Greg rated it really liked it
Shelves: academic
This is not a recommendation to pick this up unless you have an assigned interest in the subject, but for what it is, it's probably the best survey available. Indian history is very challenging and ridiculously diverse - probably the most difficult history I've ever tried to wrap my brain around. A good survey is useful to have on hand.
Neelroop
Jan 01, 2010 Neelroop rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read it on my trip to India, it's extremely well written and surprisingly engaging. The authors depict India's history from an academic perspective and put events in a global context, enabling the reader to understand the nation and its current sociopolitical environment.
Xianglong Yu
Jun 09, 2014 Xianglong Yu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english
From pre-colonial India, the East India Comapny Raj, to the Nehru's speech, this book presents the ups and downs of the modern India society, triumph and tradedy, shinning or others. That is a good story 'with clear and friendly eyes'.
Jonathan
Feb 28, 2015 Jonathan rated it really liked it
Complete waste of my time
Julia
Feb 28, 2012 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really great--moves along at breakneck speed historically but manages to be detailed and general at the same time. Quite the feat.
Nikki
Though this book was a bit much at times - there are LOTS of difficult names in Indian history - I felt like it was a well-written, *interesting* history book.
Deb
Nov 17, 2007 Deb marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I won't have even started this, I think, till after I return from Hyderabad. Ah well. A gift from Chris' parents, I'm sure it's a good primer on Indian history.
Shaheera Pesnani
Aug 12, 2015 Shaheera Pesnani rated it liked it
Deatiled but Metcalf & Metcalf are quite sympathetic towards the British.
ih
Feb 08, 2010 ih marked it as to-read
Shelves: nonfiction, own
This is informative, fairly short (i.e. fits my attention span), and interesting! I read it chapter by chapter for a class, but I'd like to think I would have read it on my own.
Nora W
Read during Mrs.Foley's History of India class, Upper Spring.
George Carter
George Carter rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2014
David
David rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2015
Megan Stewart
Megan Stewart rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2016
arafat
arafat rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2016
Mohamed Gamal
Mohamed Gamal rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2012
Aishwarya Sakpal
Aishwarya Sakpal rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2014
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2014
Mik Hamilton, D.C.
Mik Hamilton, D.C. rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2007
Euphorium
Euphorium rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2012
Asad
Asad rated it really liked it
May 14, 2007
Oberlin Shansi
Oberlin Shansi rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2015
  • The Other Side of Silence: Voices from the Partition of India
  • A Concise History of Russia
  • Peace & War: A Theory of International Relations
  • The Penguin History of Europe
  • The Anchor Atlas of World History, Vol 2: From the French Revolution to the American Bicentennial
  • A New History of India
  • Provincializing Europe: Postcolonial Thought and Historical Difference
  • Gunfighter Nation: The Myth of the Frontier in Twentieth-Century America
  • The Kodansha Kanji Learners Dictionary
  • The Mughal Empire (The New Cambridge History of India, Volume 1, Part 5)
  • With Respect to Sex: Negotiating Hijra Identity in South India
Barbara Daly Metcalf is a Professor Emeritus of History at the University of California, Davis. She is a specialist in the history of South Asia, especially the colonial period, and the history of the Muslim population of India and Pakistan. She previously served as the Dean of the College of Letters and Science at the University of California, Davis, and as the Alice Freeman Palmer Professor of H ...more
More about Barbara D. Metcalf...

Cambridge Concise Histories (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • A Concise History of Canada
  • A Concise History of Wales
  • A Concise History of Greece
  • A Concise History of Australia
  • A Concise History of Germany
  • A Concise History of Brazil
  • A Concise History of Poland
  • A Concise History of Italy (Cambridge Concise Histories)
  • A Concise History of Bulgaria