Start by marking “The Better Brain Book: The Best Tool for Improving Memory and Sharpness and Preventing Aging of the Brain” as Want to Read:

Loss of memory is not a natural part of aging-and this book explains why.

Celebrated neurologist David Perlmutter reveals how everyday memory-loss-misplacing car keys, forgetting a name, losing concentration in meetings-is actually a warning sign of a distressed brain. Here he offers a simple plan for repairing those problems, and regaining and maintaining clarity by offer

Published August 2nd 2005 by Riverhead Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Better Brain Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Better Brain Book

KD
Jan 06, 2014 KD rated it it was amazing
Have to say - a must read if you are having memory problems or have a history of Alzheimer's in your family genes. The Tier 2 supplement system REALLY works! And I have so much more energy too!
Oct 26, 2010 Jennifer rated it liked it
This book has some pretty fascinating points but is incredibly repetitive. It probably could have been written in about 1/3 the number of pages.

I did learn a few things about eating better (no fried foods, more omega-3, importance of antioxidants). It also talks about a few, simple tests you should take which are related to brain health. Nothing in the book is really revolutionary but there are good things to be reminded of and remember.

We did a video book report which summarizes things. Our b
Janey Bennett
Nov 12, 2012 Janey Bennett rated it it was amazing
I read a lot of books like this, looking for some smart-sounding, believable information about how to manage these bodies we walk around in. This book seems really useful. I added several more vitamins to my daily dose as a result of his explanation why they were a good idea. THe idea of nourishing the mitochondria in the brain is really helpful.

Check back and see if I can still remember having read it!!
Ideen Solhtalab
Sep 13, 2011 Ideen Solhtalab rated it it was amazing
Practical and informative. Learned a lot of little things...like: B-complex vitamins and fish oil supplements are good. Predatory fish (like tuna and swordfish) are laden with mercury, which is very bad for you. More than 2 drinks of alcohol per day can seriously mess up your brain (in the long term). Health conscious? Read this book.
Aug 21, 2009 Jennifer rated it liked it
I don't know enough about nutrition to accurately critique this book, but I am inspired to learn more. The author seems well-informed and passionate about his work, but at times, I felt like he was just pushing his own products.
Paula
Mar 29, 2014 Paula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health, self-help
I am so thankful I read this book. As a personal who has Alzheimer's run on both side of the family (mother's and father's), I want to learn what I can and do what I can to prevent getting it myself. This book is very informative and helps you develop a plan.
Cheryl
May 06, 2009 Cheryl rated it really liked it
I always enjoy this type of book. Food choices, supplements, mental stimulation all help to push away Father Time. Now if I could only remember all those things I need to do to build my better brain.....
Zan Baldwin
This book was written a decade ago; whilst it has very useful knowledge compiled into one source, the majority of it is what I would class as common knowledge to those already interested in the field.
Tracy Scott
Apr 17, 2013 Tracy Scott rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this--especially is you MS, Parkinsons, Alzheimers, or other brain diseases in your family history.
Kw
Apr 18, 2009 Kw rated it it was amazing
Very, very informative, with practical instruction regarding protection
and enhancement of the brain.
Don Gubler
Oct 01, 2012 Don Gubler rated it liked it
Shelves: improvement
I can save you having to read this book. Use your brains.
LWDC
Jul 02, 2016 LWDC rated it really liked it
A good book informing you about fats and how they can heal you from ailments you may have decided that you were going to live with...
Cindy Brown
Aug 26, 2012 Cindy Brown rated it really liked it
Informative, gave me some new ideas about nutrition. Practical advice I can really use.
Betsy
Jul 27, 2009 Betsy rated it it was amazing
Great brain health information...a lot to digest.
Scott
Aug 23, 2009 Scott rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
book focused on diet, nutrition and vitamins to keep the brain going a little better. DHA, b-complex, possibly CoQ10. cutting sugars, fats. Interesting book.
Shelly Nicholson
Mar 21, 2012 Shelly Nicholson rated it liked it
Maybe I can improve my thinking?????!!!!!!
Merko
Nov 10, 2014 Merko rated it it was amazing
Outstanding...a must read!
Jul 28, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
very interesting regarding food and health..
Richard
May 08, 2009 Richard rated it really liked it
Dr. Perlmutter approaches nutrition from a neurologist point of view. His regimens of antioxidants have proven records on the severely ill.
The
Mar 24, 2011 The rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
some interesting ideas.
Marilyn
Marilyn rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2014
Carissa
Feb 02, 2014 Carissa rated it it was amazing
Great book.
Jim Southard
Jim Southard rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2015
Tom Smith
Tom Smith rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2016
cajunqueen
cajunqueen rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2013
Roseanne Fowler
Roseanne Fowler rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2014
rita melvin
rita melvin rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Ulla
Ulla rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2015
Laura rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2016
Alamzeb Chauhan
Alamzeb Chauhan rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Living Paleo for Dummies
  • Mind Hacking: How to Change Your Mind for Good in 21 Days
  • Detoxify or Die
  • Coffee is Good for You: From Vitamin C and Organic Foods to Low-Carb and Detox Diets, the Truth about Di et and Nutrition Claims
  • Ultraprevention
  • Breaking the Food Seduction: The Hidden Reasons Behind Food Cravings--And 7 Steps to End Them Naturally
  • Unstuck: Your Guide to the Seven-Stage Journey Out of Depression
  • Fail Fast, Fail Often: How Losing Can Help You Win
  • The Diet Cure
  • Toxic Oil: Why Vegetable Oil Will Kill You And How To Save Yourself
  • Prince Charming Isn't Coming: How Women Get Smart About Money
  • Married to Distraction: Restoring Intimacy and Strengthening Your Marriage in an Age of Interruption
  • Sleep
  • Ingredients: A Visual Exploration of 75 Additives & 25 Food Products
  • I Can Make You Sleep: Overcome Insomnia Forever and Get the Best Rest of Your Life!
  • The Up and Down Life: The Truth About Bipolar Disorder--the Good, the Bad, and the Funny (Lynn Sonberg Books)
  • I Want What She's Having, Now!: Exactly How You Can Be So Hot & Healthy You'll Barely Recognize Yourself
  • The Gorgeously Green Diet: How to Live Lean and Green
David Perlmutter, MD, is a board-certified neurologist, the president of the Perlmutter Health Center in Naples, Florida, cofounder and president of the Perlmutter Brain Foundation, and a Fellow of the American College of Nutrition. He is the recipient of numerous awards, including the Humanitarian of the Year Award from the American College of Nutrition and the Linus Pauling Award. He serves on t ...more
More about David Perlmutter...