Start by marking “All Our Relations: Native Struggles for Land and Life” as Want to Read:
All Our Relations: Native Struggles for Land and Life

All Our Relations: Native Struggles for Land and Life

This eagerly awaited non-fiction debut by acclaimed Native environmental activist Winona LaDuke is a thoughtful and in-depth account of Native resistance to environmental and cultural degradation.LaDuke's unique understanding of Native ideas and people is born from long years of experience, and her analysis is deepened with inspiring testimonies by local Native activists s ...more
Published October 15th 1999 by South End Press

To ask other readers questions about All Our Relations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Our Relations

This book has been on my shelves since the US Election Season of 2000. No, I didn't vote for either George W. Bush or Al Gore...I was a Nader-Voter (due mostly to a belief that the US needs more than two viable political parties rather than alignment with his platform). The author of 'All Our Relations', Winona LaDuke, was Ralph Nader's running mate.

I struggled to crack the book for over a decade out of a great hesitancy to encounter the very legitimate injustices that Native Americans have been
Emily Kimball
Jan 01, 2013 Emily Kimball rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"The lesson is that the war on nature is a war on the psyche, a war on the soul. It is seen in the faces on Pine Ridge. It is seen in the monocropped field awash with chemicals and in the blood of a slaughtered Yellowstone calf. Healing in buffalo cultures must be multi-dimensional. It is not enough to provide detox centers and job-training programs. One must courageously venture to the heart of the whole to heal the individual. To heal the soul."
Grace
May 05, 2017 Grace rated it liked it
An excellent if slightly textbooky overview of Indigenous struggles in North America in the past fifty years or so to preserve traditional lifeways and national sovereignty in the face of capitalism, colonialism, and environmental degradation. Unfortunately it offers only reformist solutions to these problems
Melissa Conner
Oct 28, 2010 Melissa Conner rated it liked it
For centuries the Native Americans have been fighting “the system” to obtain control over their land and their way of life. In most cases, it’s been a bloody exhausting struggle to a finish line that keeps disappearing.

Unfortunately, the Earth can’t speak for itself. It can’t play the blame game or say for certain who’s right and who’s wrong; however, there are people who speak on the Earth’s behalf…a Lorax, if you will. Winona LaDuke is one such Lorax.

In what’s come to be known has her critical
Algernon
Dec 27, 2015 Algernon rated it liked it
In his introduction to Red Alert!: Saving the Planet with Indigenous Knowledge, Daniel R. Wildcat wrote that his personal reaction to the consequences of climate change amounted to: "Here we go again - another removal of indigenous peoples." Having survived the physical displacement on numerous trails of tears, the removal of children from families to boarding schools to be saved from their tribal identity by liberal education, and the removal of culture, there is now in progress an ecological r ...more
Ben Williams
Mar 09, 2009 Ben Williams rated it liked it
A thoughtful, eloquent telling of the struggle many Native American communities face, as they undergo abuse and relocation, to keep alive or revive aspects of their culture that are of utmost importance. LaDuke came to my hometown in South Dakota to talk sometime in 2004. Having lived, and still living, in a place where indigenous peoples have suffered so much, i feel that the very least i can do is make an effort to understand some of this story--the story of our peoples' past and their peoples ...more
Priyanka
May 24, 2007 Priyanka rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those interested in Environmental Justice and Human Rights
Winona LaDuke is one of the leading voices against environmental injustice against Native communities. Each chapter in this book is about a particular nation and its struggle with environmental racism. Issues covered relate to mining, dumping of toxic and nuclear waste, military exercises, etc. for which Native communities have been targeted. It is about resistance against governments and corporations perpetrating these atrocities. I was really inspired by this book to learn more about Environm ...more
Clayne
Mar 02, 2010 Clayne rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Very statistical, but yet very compelling with a modest amount of theory. The numbers simply speak for themselves. The dominant culture has forced indigenous cultures to struggle just to retain their own self and way of life, at every turn. It never gives up in it's attempt to eradicate. And thankfully, there are good people who never give up that struggle against the oppressors: government and industry, fueled by racism and the myth of "progress". I WOULD recommend, and I certa ...more
Courtney
Jan 04, 2013 Courtney rated it it was amazing
This was a very eye-opening book. Every American should read it. We've hear about the struggles of African Americans, Jews, Asian Americans and just about everyone else in the world's plights throughout history. But, our schooling doesn't even scratch the surface of the suffering of the Native people of this country. It's a very humbling read and had me upset. It made me embarrassed to be so uninformed and wasteful. Read it.
Robin
Dec 26, 2012 Robin rated it it was amazing
A must read for anyone who considers themselves a part of or an ally to the environmental justice movement. It is rare to find a book so densely packed with information and so delicately interwoven with personal stories and spiritual teachings. I knew environmental racism has been decimating indigenous cultures for generations, but this book brought to light just how insidious this damage is to Native communities.
Audrey
Jul 24, 2016 Audrey rated it really liked it
A book that would appeal to people interested in Social Justice issues, especially those issues surrounding corporate and government practices and policies that have had dire effects on many Indian Nations and our ecosystem. Good information, but reads more like a textbook with all the data it includes.
Bart
Apr 09, 2008 Bart rated it really liked it
Winona LaDuke provides brief overviews of a few indigenous North American and Hawaiian environmental justice struggles. Well-written and interesting, All Our Relations is a good springboard for further investigation into specific movements.
Lisa
Mar 07, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Am still reading this book but it is fantastic so far; Includes everything that I am interested in: Native rights and struggles; environmental degradation and the fight to save Native homelands--finished this book and it is as fabulous as I first thought
Lauren Tamraz
Jan 11, 2008 Lauren Tamraz rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone.
Recommended to Lauren by: read for Ecofeminist Lit course
Learned so much about Native American culture and the environment from the one-time Vice Presidential hopeful and incredibly smart lady. A powerful book that will make you get very, very angry at the state of the world.
Matteo
Sep 16, 2009 Matteo rated it really liked it
Winona LaDuke does a wonderful job of describing the struggles - and some successes - of Native communities throughout the US and Canada. Just in case you were convinced that the struggle over the land and resources on this continent was a "thing of the past"
Sam
Nov 27, 2016 Sam rated it really liked it
Winona LaDuke wrote this in the same voice she speaks in. Well versed, with data and research to back her statements up. I may not know these issues as well as her, but I've learned so much. I only wish I had read this book sooner!
Ryan Mishap
Cogent and well-written survey of the state of Native north america. Long ons tatistics, but a critical and humane explanation of the toll on humans and the environment on and around reservations because of continuing colonization/capitalism.
Margo Solod
Sep 17, 2007 Margo Solod rated it it was amazing
This is one amazing book.
rose
Aug 03, 2007 rose rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2005
i liked this book, but think there are better written books on environmental justice.
Erin Mcdonald
Jan 14, 2008 Erin Mcdonald rated it really liked it
Perspective
Ryan
Jan 05, 2014 Ryan rated it liked it
Every story is at once heartbreaking and inspiring. The reader is thus left with a sense that there is a lot of work to be done, but that good will eventually triumph.
John
Nov 01, 2016 John rated it it was amazing
Should be required reading for all high school students.
Brooke
Feb 24, 2012 Brooke rated it it was amazing
A must read, seriously.
Lola
Dec 10, 2008 Lola rated it it was amazing
if we want to save the world, we need to look back at what we have done to over the last 500 years.
Ann
Mar 01, 2014 Ann rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
Lots of really interesting information but it was so dryly written that I couldn't finish it.
retusa
retusa rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2014
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2012
Coffee4me
Coffee4me rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2012
Nick
Nick rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2007
  • Red Earth, White Lies: Native Americans and the Myth of Scientific Fact
  • The Sacred Hoop: Recovering the Feminine in American Indian Traditions
  • Medicine Stories: History, Culture and the Politics of Integrity
  • Killing the White Man's Indian: Reinventing Native Americans at the End of the Twentieth Century
  • From a Native Daughter: Colonialism and Sovereignty in Hawai'i
  • Genocide of the Mind: New Native American Writing
  • Freakery: Cultural Spectacles of the Extraordinary Body
  • Nothing About Us Without Us: Disability Oppression and Empowerment
  • June Jordan's Poetry for the People: A Revolutionary Blueprint
Winona LaDuke is an Anishinaabe Native American activist, environmentalist, economist and writer. She ran for vice president of the United States Green Party in the 1996 and 2000 Presidential elections. She is currently the Executive Director of Honor the Earth and the White Earth Land Recovery Project. She has authored the following books: Last Standing Woman (1997), All our Relations: Native Str ...more
More about Winona LaDuke...