Start by marking “The SOS File” as Want to Read:
The SOS File

The SOS File

The students in Mr. Magro's class submit stories for the SOS file about their biggest emergencies, and then they read them aloud for extra credit.
Published May 1st 2004 by Henry Holt and Co. BYR Paperbacks

Scope
Jan 02, 2009 Scope rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When a book can grab students from page one and hold their interest throughout, it’s a keeper. When said book can accomplish these feats in a read-aloud setting, well, it’s a book that you need to have on hand. “The SOS File” is just such a book. A collection of short stories that will no doubt be a read-aloud standby for upper elementary students.

“SOS” works like this. The first page shows a file folder with the following instructions:

Have you ever needed to call 9-1-1, but you couldn’t get to
KidsFiction Teton County Library
J Short Chapter

The concept of this great book is that students of Mr. Magro's class have written extra credit "SOS" stories - stories of students' experiences that have made them feel like they needed to call 911, but didn't have a phone, or run when their legs felt like spaghetti. The result is a group of stories written from the perspective of different students about a variety of subjects. The stories include a funny go-cart adventure that went out of control, a surprise home run for a kid wh
Molly
Jan 21, 2008 Molly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
Mr. Magro offered his class the chance to get some extra credit. To earn these points, they simply had to write a short story about a time they had an SOS, or a life changing, moment. Each student's story is presented in this slim book for young readers. The stories vary (widely) from a boy who encountered a bear in the woods, to a girl who was adopted as an infant after a kind stranger rescued her from a dumpster outside a local motel. I mention that last story, because some of the themes are p ...more
Cat Bryson
Very cute! This book is a collection of very short essays from Mr. Magro's class about times in their lives when they had SOS moments. I think this book would be useful for students who are struggling with reading because the stories are short and each one is like its own mini book. Students will be able to read a few stories at a time and feel an accomplishment. I think this would be good to use for a class activity where you could read the book to them and then ask them to write their own SOS ...more
Edward Creter
This is from the Files of the SOS (Scribblers of Outlandish Stories). Your mission, should you choose to accept it: (SHOULD you choose to accept it? Up to you.) read these humorous mini-stories from three well-known kids' authors with kids who figure out problems for themselves and then decide for yourself how to take what info you've gleaned, and how to apply it to your own walk in life. Good luck. Meanwhile, I'm going to take a nap. This critic will self-destruct in five seconds!
Callie
Apr 13, 2009 Callie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ethan-Temur says "I liked everything. That it was funny and that it got my attention and it was interesting. I liked the story about swimming with sharks best."

It was a great read-aloud for my kindergartner. Each chapter tells the story of a different student and a time when they had an SOS situation. A wide range of characters and problems, along with short chapters, kept both my son and me entertained.
Heather
Jan 26, 2008 Heather rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This won a Monarch award. It's a great premise--each kid in the book tells a story about a time they were in "grave danger" and needed to call 911 but couldn't. Each chapter is unique and the kids' personalities really shine through with a light touch. My kids and I started reading it and we couldn't wait to go on to the next adventure. Definitely popcorn reading and a fantastic read aloud for K-3rd grades!
Dolly
Mar 14, 2009 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is a wonderful collection of short stories. In each, the narrator describes an emergency or crisis. Each tale is dramatic, and all are very different. The stories are engaging, and many prove to be cautionary (note: kids, do not try this at home!) Some are bound to bring a tear to your eye.

Overall, we really enjoyed reading this book of stories and I think this would be a fantastic book for a teacher to use in class, perhaps around grades 4-6.
Catharine
I used this as a read aloud with third graders since I was looking for something that I could read a little of each class. The short story format worked out well for this purpose, but if I think if I were to use it again I would mark maybe half the stories that I thought were the best and connected with the age group and just read those.
Jada
Mar 15, 2009 Jada rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good. I read it twice in 2nd and 3rd grade. Its simply a bunch of stories about when little kids did something stupid..... for instance, eating all the chocolate bars you were SUPPOSED to sell for school....its a silly book, but its pretty good.
Daniel O.
Sep 22, 2010 Daniel O. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book was a um a um i wiil think about it.is about mr.margos class writing s.o.s. each chapter is a s.o.s there are pink panther,white lithning,wanted s.o.s,pumkin man and HELD BACK.only one person did not got extra credid find out in this relistic fiction chapter book.
LouAnne
My students love the 12 stories in the SOS Files! Did you ever need to yell SOS? Let's see - my SOS -- my volkswagon on fire rolling down a hill in the middle of nowhere!!!! Oh-- and me chasing after it!
Susanne Davison
Feb 22, 2014 Susanne Davison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kiddy-lit
Fictional students write SOS (their biggest emergencies) essay's then share them with the class for extra credit. Clever! Great read for encouraging children in the writing process. A good read aloud with upper elementary age children.
Ricardo L
Dec 20, 2011 Ricardo L rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book that is realistic fiction.The problem is thata bunch of people are in troubel.My squema is that I have bin in troubel.My question is why do theye say SOS all the time.I recommend this book to Melvin because he likes this book so much.
Karen Arendt
Nov 23, 2010 Karen Arendt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I could see reading this to second grade and have them write their own SOS story. I especially like the story about the person who was held back in 1st grade and the teacher (during the second time in 1st grade) was the SOS. Very inspiring stories.
Hillvan
Easy chapter book. Short individual exciting stories about/supposed written by children. In one story a girl tells the story of her being left in a dumpster as an infant and her quest to locate the man who found her there. Gives rise to good conversation.
Carol Jen
Mar 16, 2009 Carol Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Fun and the style of each chapter being written by a different student makes is a quick read and a good pick for reluctant readers.
Mariah
Cute, very short stories that serve as enjoyable models for elementary-aged writers.
Mrs.
What a fun easy read, Great read aloud and would lend itself to a creative writing follow up project.
Gabriella 11-12
This was a very short but funny book.

It was good because there was a bunch of funny stories.

I recamend this book to the class if you want a book to read that is not to long but just right.
John Roxas
Dec 10, 2009 John Roxas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of the stories in here are funny!
Kirsten Murphy
I love that each chapter is a "contribution" by a different student in Mr. Magroo's 3rd grade class, providing the book with many voices and lots of perspectives.
Donalyn
I have used this book several times as a mentor text for "emergency" stories my students can write. This is a great read aloud with each story showcasing one SOS in a child's life.

Mary
May 04, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! Excellent mentor text for third grade writers working on personal narratives. Reread every year! Do NOT miss this!
Steph
Feb 01, 2016 Steph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite thing about this book is that it immediately lends itself to an awesome writing activity as a follow-up. What a perfect second grade read aloud!
Caroline
too kidish for me...one of my bro's summer reading books.
Tiffany Neal
These are cute short stories that would be great to read at the beginning of the year to the kiddos to show them what a great personal narrative sounds like.
A
Jul 10, 2013 A rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short, entertaining chapter book about the little emergencies in life. Excellent resource for personal narrative writing.
Dan
  • Gabriel's Horses
  • The Legend of Spud Murphy
  • How Oliver Olson Changed the World
  • Keena Ford and the Second Grade Mix Up
  • Tales of Bunjitsu Bunny (Bunjitsu Bunny #1)
  • Smarter than Squirrels (Down Girl and Sit)
  • The Magician's Boy
  • Play, Louis, Play!: The True Story of a Boy and His Horn
  • The Million Dollar Strike (The Million Dollar Series, #4)
  • The Case of the Weird Blue Chicken: The Next Misadventure (Chicken Squad Adventure, #2)
  • Greetings from the Graveyard (43 Old Cemetery Road, #6)
  • Geek Chic: The Zoey Zone
  • Jasper John Dooley: Star of the Week (Jasper John Dooley, #1)
  • Secret Identity (Shredderman, #1)
  • Maybelle in the Soup
  • Please Bury Me in the Library
  • The 6th Grade Nickname Game
  • Any Small Goodness: A Novel of the Barrio
Betsy Byars has written over sixty books for young people. Her first published in 1962 and since then she has published regularly. Her books have been translated into nineteen languages and she gets thousands of letters from readers in the United States and from all over the world.

She has won many awards. Among them are the Newbery Medal in 1971 for her novel The Summer of the Swans, the American
More about Betsy Byars...