Start by marking “The SOS File” as Want to Read:
The SOS File

The SOS File

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  253 ratings  ·  44 reviews
The students in Mr. Magro's class submit stories for the SOS file about their biggest emergencies, and then they read them aloud for extra credit.
Published May 1st 2004 by Henry Holt and Co. BYR Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The SOS File, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The SOS File

Scope
When a book can grab students from page one and hold their interest throughout, it’s a keeper. When said book can accomplish these feats in a read-aloud setting, well, it’s a book that you need to have on hand. “The SOS File” is just such a book. A collection of short stories that will no doubt be a read-aloud standby for upper elementary students.

“SOS” works like this. The first page shows a file folder with the following instructions:

Have you ever needed to call 9-1-1, but you couldn’t get to
KidsFiction Teton County Library
J Short Chapter

The concept of this great book is that students of Mr. Magro's class have written extra credit "SOS" stories - stories of students' experiences that have made them feel like they needed to call 911, but didn't have a phone, or run when their legs felt like spaghetti. The result is a group of stories written from the perspective of different students about a variety of subjects. The stories include a funny go-cart adventure that went out of control, a surprise home run for a kid wh
Edward Creter
This is from the Files of the SOS (Scribblers of Outlandish Stories). Your mission, should you choose to accept it: (SHOULD you choose to accept it? Up to you.) read these humorous mini-stories from three well-known kids' authors with kids who figure out problems for themselves and then decide for yourself how to take what info you've gleaned, and how to apply it to your own walk in life. Good luck. Meanwhile, I'm going to take a nap. This critic will self-destruct in five seconds!
Molly
Mr. Magro offered his class the chance to get some extra credit. To earn these points, they simply had to write a short story about a time they had an SOS, or a life changing, moment. Each student's story is presented in this slim book for young readers. The stories vary (widely) from a boy who encountered a bear in the woods, to a girl who was adopted as an infant after a kind stranger rescued her from a dumpster outside a local motel. I mention that last story, because some of the themes are p ...more
Susanne Davison
Fictional students write SOS (their biggest emergencies) essay's then share them with the class for extra credit. Clever! Great read for encouraging children in the writing process. A good read aloud with upper elementary age children.
Cat Bryson
Very cute! This book is a collection of very short essays from Mr. Magro's class about times in their lives when they had SOS moments. I think this book would be useful for students who are struggling with reading because the stories are short and each one is like its own mini book. Students will be able to read a few stories at a time and feel an accomplishment. I think this would be good to use for a class activity where you could read the book to them and then ask them to write their own SOS ...more
Dolly
Dec 05, 2012 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is a wonderful collection of short stories. In each, the narrator describes an emergency or crisis. Each tale is dramatic, and all are very different. The stories are engaging, and many prove to be cautionary (note: kids, do not try this at home!) Some are bound to bring a tear to your eye.

Overall, we really enjoyed reading this book of stories and I think this would be a fantastic book for a teacher to use in class, perhaps around grades 4-6.
Maggie
This book was very interesting and fun.
Callie
Ethan-Temur says "I liked everything. That it was funny and that it got my attention and it was interesting. I liked the story about swimming with sharks best."

It was a great read-aloud for my kindergartner. Each chapter tells the story of a different student and a time when they had an SOS situation. A wide range of characters and problems, along with short chapters, kept both my son and me entertained.
Heather
This won a Monarch award. It's a great premise--each kid in the book tells a story about a time they were in "grave danger" and needed to call 911 but couldn't. Each chapter is unique and the kids' personalities really shine through with a light touch. My kids and I started reading it and we couldn't wait to go on to the next adventure. Definitely popcorn reading and a fantastic read aloud for K-3rd grades!
Catharine
I used this as a read aloud with third graders since I was looking for something that I could read a little of each class. The short story format worked out well for this purpose, but if I think if I were to use it again I would mark maybe half the stories that I thought were the best and connected with the age group and just read those.
Daniel O.
this book was a um a um i wiil think about it.is about mr.margos class writing s.o.s. each chapter is a s.o.s there are pink panther,white lithning,wanted s.o.s,pumkin man and HELD BACK.only one person did not got extra credid find out in this relistic fiction chapter book.
Hillvan
Easy chapter book. Short individual exciting stories about/supposed written by children. In one story a girl tells the story of her being left in a dumpster as an infant and her quest to locate the man who found her there. Gives rise to good conversation.
Jada
It was good. I read it twice in 2nd and 3rd grade. Its simply a bunch of stories about when little kids did something stupid..... for instance, eating all the chocolate bars you were SUPPOSED to sell for school....its a silly book, but its pretty good.
Ricardo L
I love this book that is realistic fiction.The problem is thata bunch of people are in troubel.My squema is that I have bin in troubel.My question is why do theye say SOS all the time.I recommend this book to Melvin because he likes this book so much.
Karen Arendt
I could see reading this to second grade and have them write their own SOS story. I especially like the story about the person who was held back in 1st grade and the teacher (during the second time in 1st grade) was the SOS. Very inspiring stories.
L
My students love the 12 stories in the SOS Files! Did you ever need to yell SOS? Let's see - my SOS -- my volkswagon on fire rolling down a hill in the middle of nowhere!!!! Oh-- and me chasing after it!
Gabriella 11-12
This was a very short but funny book.

It was good because there was a bunch of funny stories.

I recamend this book to the class if you want a book to read that is not to long but just right.
Donalyn
I have used this book several times as a mentor text for "emergency" stories my students can write. This is a great read aloud with each story showcasing one SOS in a child's life.

Kirsten Murphy
I love that each chapter is a "contribution" by a different student in Mr. Magroo's 3rd grade class, providing the book with many voices and lots of perspectives.
Tiffany Neal
These are cute short stories that would be great to read at the beginning of the year to the kiddos to show them what a great personal narrative sounds like.
Carol
Fun and the style of each chapter being written by a different student makes is a quick read and a good pick for reluctant readers.
Mary
Loved this book! Excellent mentor text for third grade writers working on personal narratives. Reread every year! Do NOT miss this!
A
Short, entertaining chapter book about the little emergencies in life. Excellent resource for personal narrative writing.
Mrs.
What a fun easy read, Great read aloud and would lend itself to a creative writing follow up project.
Sheila
The unusual format will intrigue students. What a great teaching tool for writing teachers!
Camille
A cute compilation of "emergency moment" stories by an elementary class. A quick, fun read.
Kelly
Mr. Magro has his students write a short report about a personal emergency. Cute, quick read.
Jen K
Recommened by third grader, Sydney...could be a great tie in for writing workshop.
Jen
This book is ideal for giving students examples of how to structure a short story.
DId you like it? 1 0 Nov 29, 2007 10:21AM
  • The Case of the Weird Blue Chicken: The Next Misadventure (Chicken Squad Adventure, #2)
  • The Legend of Spud Murphy
  • Gabriel's Horses
  • Project Mulberry
  • How Oliver Olson Changed the World
  • Secret Identity (Shredderman, #1)
  • Play, Louis, Play!: The True Story of a Boy and His Horn
  • Greetings from the Graveyard (43 Old Cemetery Road, #6)
  • You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Stories to Read Together
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Please Bury Me in the Library
  • Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Summer Vacation (Charlie Joe Jackson, #3)
  • Jasper John Dooley: Star of the Week
  • The 6th Grade Nickname Game
  • Say What?
  • The Million Dollar Strike (The Million Dollar Series #4)
  • The Magician's Boy
  • Alvin Ho: Allergic to Girls, School, and Other Scary Things (Alvin Ho, #1)
Betsy Byars has written over sixty books for young people. Her first published in 1962 and since then she has published regularly. Her books have been translated into nineteen languages and she gets thousands of letters from readers in the United States and from all over the world.

She has won many awards. Among them are the Newbery Medal in 1971 for her novel The Summer of the Swans, the American
More about Betsy Byars...
The Summer of the Swans The Pinballs Tornado The Midnight Fox Keeper of the Doves