Start by marking “Dream of Danger (Brown and de Luca, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Dream of Danger (Brown and de Luca, #1.5)

Dream of Danger (Brown and de Luca #1.5)

SPECIAL E-Only Novella

She didn't want to need him.

Murder brought self-help guru Rachel de Luca and Detective Mason Brown together. Their shared secrets drove them apart. But now they're together again in this riveting novella that begins where New York Times bestselling author Maggie Shayne's Sleep with the Lights On ended.

She may have been blind for twenty years, but Rach
Published November 1st 2013 by Harlequin MIRA (first published September 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Dream of Danger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dream of Danger

Mei
Nov 19, 2013 Mei rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
This is a short story of only 50 pages, so I read it very quickly.

I loved the first book of the series Sleep With the Lights On (Brown and De Luca #1) by Maggie Shayne. This one is a direct sequel.

It's just like a quick snack before the next installment Dream of Danger (Brown and De Luca #1.5) by Maggie Shayne

Here Mason and Rachel are in search of Amy who's disappeared while going to her parents house for Thanksgiving.

There's still a very strong attraction between them, but their remain firm about remaining separate, even if we see that it's becoming more difficult.

There's Myrtle too. She's got obese. LOL

Amy's a
Lynne
Jul 22, 2015 Lynne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: free-kindle
Very good short story; I usually don't like novellas. This was an enjoyable read!
Dina
May 30, 2016 Dina rated it liked it
Recommended to Dina by: Kindle freebie
3 1/2 stars (rounded down to 3 stars, because the mystery of Amy's disappearance wasn't completely explained by the end of the story - and for that, I don't think this installment of the series stands on its own)
A Reader's Heaven
Aug 08, 2014 A Reader's Heaven rated it really liked it
Self-help guru and author Rachel de Luca was blind for 20 years before recently regaining her sight. While blind, she developed a knack of reading people and seeing through their lies. So when she meets her assistant, Amy, new boyfriend, her senses go into overdrive. She distrusts him from the very beginning.

Amy is heading up to see her family for Thanksgiving with her new beau but on the morning of Thanksgiving, Rachel gets a phone call from Amy's mother saying that she didn't arrive home. Rach
Sher
Nov 03, 2013 Sher rated it it was amazing
This is the sequel to Sleep with the Lights on..It is great to see that the chemistry between Rachel and Mason is still there.. They are taking a cooling off period from each other tho , and it is definitely getting to both of them.
Since she has regained the site she lost years ago, she is getting to know her self and the world again..But they definitely want to take their relationship to another level.
And Myrtle is back.. I can see her sitting in the car with her goggles and her scarf on..lol.
A
Anita
Actual Rating: 2.5 Stars

This short novella was enjoyable, but felt kind of pointless and open-ended, like it would have been better off as a full-length novel with more material. That being said, I DID still enjoy it if only because I'm kind of in love with Rachel's voice and narration, and I'm kind of in love with Myrtle, the adorable blind bulldog. The mystery/suspense/thriller part was a little 'meh'. And Mason really just did not even feel present.

There are hints that there might be more to
Laura (Kyahgirl)
3.5/5; 4 stars; B+

A good filler between book 1 and 2, this short story is not absolutely required but I enjoyed it just the same. Amy is a cool character and it was good to spend a bit more time with her.
Huda Al-Anbar
Dec 12, 2014 Huda Al-Anbar rated it liked it
Short Thanksgiving novella starring my favorite couple Rachel de Luca and Mason Brown.
Rachel's assistant Amy goes missing on her way to her parents for thanksgiving, and it is up to Rachel to find her and return her home safely.

Hbeebti
Mar 12, 2014 Hbeebti rated it really liked it
Shelves: freebies
This was a really good novella. I enjoyed Mason and Rachel teaming up again to find Amy. But what wasnt explained was who it was and why it happened. I wanted the details. Oh well.
Dannica Zulestin
Oct 19, 2016 Dannica Zulestin rated it liked it
Shelves: freebie, hq
I liked it but it was really short. Just a teaser for the rest of the series, I suppose, which I will probably never get the chance to read. If I do, though, I'll give it a shot-Maggie Shayne seems to be a good author and I liked the protagonist's voice, even if this novella was mediocre due to a lack of plot and depth because of its length. Enjoyable popcorn.
Peggy
Oct 01, 2016 Peggy rated it it was amazing
Love love the DeLuca series
Liam Hamer
Dec 16, 2013 Liam Hamer rated it it was amazing
Picking things up soon after the dramatic conclusion to Sleep With The Lights On; we see how Rachel De Luca and Mason Brown are faring in their attempt to readjust to 'normal' life. Thanksgiving is approaching and it soon becomes clear that Rachel and Mason's heads will have to be put together once again to uncover a mystery; this time the disappearance of Amy, Rachel's friend (beloved friend actually, but Rachel would be hesitant to admit this) and assistant.

Being a freebie and teaser for the s
Kathy
Christina T
Marketed as a free novella, this is, at best, a short story with very little closure but still a nice glimpse into the progression of the Brown/de Luca romance.

The Good: The suspense was actually pretty good. I was honestly scared for Amy and was afraid she was certainly going to meet her end. Perhaps it was because I'm a fan of The Walking Dead where they tend to kill off their regular cast with, well, regularity but I was really thinking they'd find Amy all butchered by some whackadoo serial k
Kathy Martin
Dec 28, 2014 Kathy Martin rated it really liked it
This novella fits into the series after SLEEP WITH THE LIGHTS ON and before WAKE TO DARKNESS. Rachel's assistant Amy disappears on the way to Thanksgiving Dinner with her family. Her plans had been to take her new boyfriend home with her. Rachel never liked the guy; she feels that something isn't right about him. So, she snaps a picture of his car showing his license plate when he takes off with her.

When Amy's mother calls the next morning to say that Amy didn't arrive, Rachel's first call is to
LaFleurBleue
Nov 19, 2014 LaFleurBleue rated it it was ok
This freebie came in second position in a series featuring the same recurring leads.
And reading this short story was in fact enough to convince me not to try the rest of the series.
I did not like the writing, which felt too familiar, too spoken with plenty of passages written like those were thoughts from one of the character, and therefore with their oral slang. Too much of it for my taste.
When learning progressively bits and pieces of what happened in the first book and what was the plot ther
Christyn
Dream of Danger is an in-between novella set between Sleep with the Lights On and Wake to Darkness. It helps if you've read the first book, if you haven't then you'll be missing stuff. In this in-between book, Amy, Rachel's assistant, goes missing on the way to her family home for Thanksgiving. Rachel and Mason work together to track her down. As with many novellas and short stories I wish it was longer, simply because I felt the length just doesn't give room to do the storyline justice. It fel ...more
Shirley
Nov 09, 2013 Shirley rated it really liked it
4 1/2.... Most definitely

I’m really liking this series. I think what I like most is Rachel’s personality. She is just real. I’m not sure if it’s her sharp, opinionated tongue. Her love of color – everywhere. The way she dotes over her dog or the way she doesn’t think she just acts, especially when it comes to loving and protecting her friends. The combination that makes Rachel who she is definitely works. I love her relationship with the other characters too and not just the heat that is palpab
Charity Costa
Mar 04, 2015 Charity Costa rated it it was amazing
I loved seeing Rachel and Mason again, but I am over the moon excited I got to see how Myrtle was doing in the novella.

Rachel was blind for 20 years and now she can see, she is going to need a little time to adjust but can she stay away from Mason long enough to adjust the way she needs to. Well that is not going to happen right now because she needs Mason's help.

Mason also needs some time to adjust after his brothers suicide and after discovering his brothers deepest darkest secret. He has take
Mary
Nov 12, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing
She may have been blind for twenty years, but Rachel's always had an uncanny gift for seeing through people--and she distrusts her assistant's new boyfriend at first sight. Amy isn't interested in Rachel's misgivings, though. She's too eager to celebrate Thanksgiving by introducing her family to the new man in her life.

Then Amy doesn't show up for the holiday....

Desperate to find her missing friend, Rachel has no choice but to turn to Mason. Their investigation into Amy's disappearance takes the
Kym
Sep 25, 2014 Kym rated it liked it
This novella picks up a few months after Sleep With the Lights On. Rachel and Mason's relationship is on hold while each deals with big life changes. The plot here is that Rachel's assistant, Amy, has gone missing on the way to her parents' house for Thanksgiving. Amy's mom calls Rachel, who texts Mason "need u" and he shows up to help her. They spend the day together trying to track Amy down.
This is basically an exploration of where the relationship between the protagonists could go, wrapped up
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Jul 08, 2014 Kris - My Novelesque Life rated it really liked it
4 STARS "She may have been blind for twenty years, but Rachel's always had an uncanny gift for seeing through people - and she distrusts her assistant's new boyfriend at first sight. Amy isn't interested in Rachel's misgivings, though. She's too eager to celebrate Thanksgiving by introducing her family to the new man in her life.

Then Amy doesn't show up for the holiday....

ArtfullySin
Jul 16, 2015 ArtfullySin rated it liked it
A little bit rushed but otherwise fine for a filler, in between novella. Amy, Rachel's assistant for as long as she's been an author, goes missing after a fight with her fourty-two year old married boyfriend. After a huge fight between the two, Amy packs up to leave, leaving behind a photography of the license plate and truck of her kidnappers. Together, Rachel and Mason follow the trail to an old motel, where they discovered where Amy was held captive. After getting struck by a crowbar, Mason ...more
Jamie
Feb 10, 2014 Jamie rated it it was ok

This was a kindle freebie - it turned out to be one of these slightly pointless half-books that are the infomercials of the book world. This one failed for me, I can't see me looking to read anything else by this author.

The story was rushed, I didn't like the characters very much and the multitude of quirks of the characters might work better in a longer story instead of being jampacked into a few short chapters.

Maybe if you have read the first book and are familiar with the reasons why Rachael
Caro
Dec 05, 2014 Caro rated it really liked it
Shelves: shayne-maggie, own
This was a really good novella. I definitely loved the characters, although it probably would've been best to read the first book before this one. However, I wasn't really lost cause the author gives you some little hints to get the background idea of the characters. I loved the 'unique' talent and the characters. I liked the way this was written too. Humorous, but still suspenseful with some action. More of a fun suspense, then the serious horror feel to it. There were sparks and spunk, ...more
Cheryl
Mar 06, 2014 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Novella brings Rachel and Mason to us again

I just finished the first book in this new series by author Shayne "Sleep With the Lights On" and was getting ready to start on the second book in the series "Wake to Darkness" when I noticed this nifty little novella. Set between the two novels, it fills in details in Rachel de Luca's and Mason Brown's relationship.

Snappy dialogue and a feisty protagonist make this novella just as much fun to read as "Sleep With the Lights On" was.

Rachel's assistant, A
Book_recs4u
Jul 03, 2014 Book_recs4u rated it it was amazing
I can't get enough Rachel De Luca and Mason Brown; they are a great team! This story in the Brown and De Luca series is a short one preceding "Wake to Darkness". Rachel's long time friend and assistant goes missing. She never showed at her parents house for thanksgiving. When Amy's parents get in touch with Rachel to see if she's heard from their daughter, Rachel enlists the help of Mason to get to the bottom of things. They quickly discover all signs point to foul play and must retrace Amy's ...more
Robin
Jul 13, 2014 Robin rated it really liked it
Rachel De Luca and Mason Brown are stepping back and taking a break from their relationship when Rachel's assistant, Amy, goes missing. Amy and her latest boyfriend were on their way to her family home for Thanksgiving. Amy's mother called looking for her, saying Amy had never shown up. Rachel is suspicious of the boyfriend, Mel, since she really didn't like him when she met him. Soon she is calling Mason asking for his help in finding Amy.

This short story is a nice follow-up to "Sleep With the
Allie
Mar 05, 2015 Allie rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
What a great little novella to help ease the wait between books (I know this series has been out for a while but I'm waiting for the second book to be available from my library!) I loved how we got to spend more time with Rache and Mason, and see her start to really open up to the seriousness of her feelings for him. What I love about Rachel is the way Maggie writes her. Rachel sounds so similar to me that I sometimes feel like I'm the one solving the mystery! (and hey, I wouldn't mind my own ...more
Valerie Dixon
Dec 20, 2013 Valerie Dixon rated it it was amazing
5 stars to Maggie!
Dream of Danger is a novella in Maggie Shane's Brown & de Luca series. This novella falls between the first and second books. I was seriously going into withdraws after finishing the first book in the series in one day, SO I was thrilled to get the tasty morsel that is this novella! I fell further in love with Detective Mason when he rushed to Rachel's side to help her locate her favorite missing gothic assistant. Truth be told I did not want this novella to end, but I was
  • Rock Point (Sharpe & Donovan, #0.5)
  • Freedom's Promise (Task Force 125, #3)
  • Guardian Agent (Agents Under Fire #1)
  • Roll The Dice (Vegas, #2)
  • High Seas Deception
  • A Hero's Welcome (Heroes at Heart #1)
  • The Edge of Lies (Paradise Valley Mystery, #2.5)
  • A Very Important Guest
  • The Face of Evil (Faces of Evil, #7.5)
  • My Everything
  • The First Sinners (The Sinners Club, #0.5)
  • Lethal Confessions
  • The Academy: A Short Story (The Tracy Crosswhite Series)
  • Taken (Dark Grove Plantation, #2)
  • Needing Nita (Serve and Protect, #3.5)
  • Heated Match (Coded for Love, #1)
  • Dance With Me (The Everetts of Tyler #1)
  • In Seconds (Bulletproof, #2)
I live in the teeny, tiny town of Taylor, NY, (Alliteration Alert!) though my mailing address is Cincinnatus, my telephone exchange is Truxton and I pay taxes and vote in Cuyler. All of these are at least in the same rural county in the southern hills of New York State; Cortland County. There are more cattle than people here. The nearest “big” cities are Syracuse and Binghamton and they are an ...more
More about Maggie Shayne...

Brown and de Luca (4 books)
  • Sleep with the Lights On (Brown and de Luca #1)
  • Wake to Darkness (Brown and de Luca, #2)
  • Innocent Prey (Brown and De Luca, #3)
  • Deadly Obsession (Brown and de Luca, #4)

“It was nine forty-five. I had Myrt’s designer goggles dangling from one finger. Amy held out her hand. “I’ll take vet duty if I can borrow the Subaru.” 0 likes