Start by marking “A Thief in the Theater: A Kit Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)” as Want to Read:
A Thief in the Theater: A Kit Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)

A Thief in the Theater: A Kit Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  312 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Kit Kittredge spends a week of her summer vacation volunteering at the local theater--she wants to write a newspaper article about a play that's opening soon. It even stars famous actors from New York City! But behind the scenes, Kit and her friend Stirling discover more drama than they bargained for.
Set in Cincinnati in 1935.
Published March 1st 2008 by American Girl Publishing Inc (first published 2008)

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. KonigsburgThe Westing Game by Ellen RaskinEncyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective by Donald J. SobolThe Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn KeeneThe Magic of Finkleton by K.C. Hilton
Mysteries for 2nd-7th graders
24th out of 60 books — 65 voters
Clue in the Castle Tower by Sarah Masters BuckeyThe Smuggler's Treasure by Sarah Masters BuckeyThe Curse of Ravenscourt by Sarah Masters BuckeyLady Margaret's Ghost by Elizabeth McDavid JonesThe Stolen Sapphire by Sarah Masters Buckey
American Girl Mysteries
45th out of 57 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Nicole Long
Great age appropriate mystery for my 10 year old! We enjoyed reading it together!
Elizabeth Long
it was very good it was about kit and she has to find out who the thief is
Children's Literature Project
Kit Kittredge wants to write a newspaper article about how a play is made. Instead of the planned pay, A Midsummer Night's Dream, the theater plans to put on McBeth. Kit volunteers to work at the theater so she has a better idea of what goes into producing a play. As she is talking with the theater owner, someone bursts in and yells that someone has stolen the cash box. Kit and her friend, Stirling, help to solve the mystery. The American Girl books are typically historical fiction/mysteries and ...more
Tyra
This is our first in this series and Alex really liked it.
Jeff
This is a chapter book about Kit Kittredge. It is one in a series of American Girl mystery books. In this story, money is stolen from a theater and Kit eventually discovers that one of the actresses is the thief. By the end of the story, Kit helps to solve the mystery. This book is easy to read. The author is able to build suspense into the story that helps the reader stay interested. There aren't many words used that are difficult for the intended audience (10-11 years) to understand. I think g ...more
Angela
I really enjoyed reading this book. Steve said it was impossible to finish it in two days. I finished it in less than an hour. But, this is why. I started reading it on Wednesday and then I read it on Sunday. It was really good. Steve said it was impossible, but I finished it. It was really good. Hopefully Steve will read it. I think he will really like it. A thief in the theater was really good.
Beth Moorhead
In 1935, the Federal Theatre Project gave jobs to unemployed actors, directors and stagehands across the country. It also created some of the most memorable theater of the 1930's and gave many Americans and opportunity to forget the cares of the day during the Great Depression. A great glimpse at live theater, and a touch of Shakespears' Macbeth and the superstitions associated with it.
Snorkle
Kit is a take-charge sort of girl, who doesn't let setbacks easily overtake her. I thought this book was fairly entertaining, and I was puzzled over who was the thief until they revealed it at the very end. I would probably recommend for fans of the Kit series.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Terri
Kit is a reporter for the children's page of the Cincinnati paper during the depression. She decides to write a column about the theater and works backstage during a performance of the cursed Scottish Play. After the box office receipts are stolen, she decides to investigate.

I really enjoyed Kit and her family and friends. This was an entertaining light mystery.
Jordanna
Kit is working a newspaper place. There is a play in town. Kit decides to go to it for a newspaper article. She decides to also interview a few actors. But then they change the play. Kit and her friend Stirling help set up the new play. The play is supposed to be bad luck. Then bad things start happening. Can Kit and Stirling figure out what is going on?
Meg
this book is about Kit and her friend Stirling spending their time in a theater that summer. A lot of strange things are happening. Kit and Stirling are determined to find out who The Thief In The Theater is. " Who is it?" " Why did they do it?" This book is suspenseful.
Dayna
We love Kit...but this book just isn't working for us. We are going to put it down for now.

The book is well written and the story line interesting enough - perhaps we are just not in the right mood right now.
Liv
Cute story with interesting info about theater during the Great Depression. Not the best mystery, but it was a nice read.
Kelly
A great story for Kit filled with real mystery and history. Unexpected turns throughout and a great reveal. Loved it.
Amanda
Nice addition for Kit. I really love the inclusion of MacBeth and the MacBeth curse. Quite fun!
Emmy
I don't like to read but last year I read it and literally could not put it down!
Kathrine
I thought this book was Bo-ring at parts! But also weird at parts!
Kathryn
This was interesting and funny.I think it was a good mystery.
Jaylene Harmon
I liked how the author puts a little bit of foreshadowing in it.
Emma
these american girl mystery books are very well written
Elise
This plot is WAY to easy to guess.
Amber
So fun. Always so fun.
Kimberly
Jul 25, 2010 Kimberly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any Kit fan
Shelves: adventure, mystery
Really cool Kit book!
Marianne
This was a fun mystery book.
Sheila Wilkins
It's is an amazing book
Jasmine
mysterious!!
Susan
May 08, 2010 Susan added it
good
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
  • Danger at the Zoo: A Kit Mystery (American Girl Mysteries (Quality))
  • The Cry of the Loon: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Lady Margaret's Ghost: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries (Quality))
  • A Spy on the Home Front: A Molly Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Tangled Web: A Julie Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Shadows on Society Hill: An Addy Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Silent Stranger: A Kaya Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Bravo, Mia! (American Girl of the Year)
  • Thanks to Nicki
  • Brave Emily (American Girls: Molly)
  • Shadows in the Glasshouse (American Girl History Mysteries, #10)

American Girl Mysteries (1 - 10 of 35 books)
  • The Silent Stranger: A Kaya Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Peril at King's Creek: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Traitor in Williamsburg: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Lady Margaret's Ghost: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries (Quality))
  • Secrets in the Hills: A Josefina Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Runaway Friend: A Kirsten Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Shadows on Society Hill: An Addy Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Curse of Ravenscourt: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Stolen Sapphire: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Cry of the Loon: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
The Smuggler's Treasure (American Girl History Mysteries, #1) The Curse of Ravenscourt: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries) Meet Marie-Grace (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #1) The Stolen Sapphire: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries) The Light in the Cellar: A Molly Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)