Start by marking “The Runaway Friend: A Kirsten Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)” as Want to Read:
The Runaway Friend: A Kirsten Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)

The Runaway Friend: A Kirsten Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)

Kirsten Larson has been living on the Minnesota frontier for only a few weeks when her neighbor and friend, Erik Sandahl, disappears. Erik had promised to help the Larsons at harvest time--and he owes Uncle Olav money. Has Erik run out on his promises? Everyone seems to think so--except Kirsten. Can she figure out what's happened to her friend?
Takes place in 1854.
Published March 1st 2008 by American Girl Publishing Inc (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Runaway Friend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Runaway Friend

Sky Destrian
Jun 02, 2008 Sky Destrian rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers, American Girl fans
Shelves: read-in-2008
There are only a few good mysteries in the world, and I think that this one qualifies under that category. It was a little below my reading level, but that wasn't a big deal. I thought it was really intriguing; I never guessed what was going to happen, well... except when I read ahead! ;) Anyway, I liked this book, and it was very well-written.
Sesana
More like 2.5 stars. I'm not surprised that I didn't like this one as well as some of the others. Kirsten was never a favorite.
Ciara
Dec 31, 2011 Ciara rated it liked it
jeez louise. this book seemed needlessly complex to me. especially for a kiddo. let's go to the recap:

it's unclear to me when exactly this book takes place because i haven't read kirsten's introductory series in a long time. kirsten doesn't speak, understand, or read english at this point, so it must be before her school story? i'm not sure.

kirsten & her family are living with mr. larson's brother & his family. they have a lot of other swedish immigrant neighbors, & everyone socializ
Laura Verret
I hadn’t read an American Girl story in years…

The Story.

Kirsten and her family have only just arrived on the Minnesota frontier – and they’ve traveled all the way from Sweden to get there! They are happy to be reunited with Papa’s brother, Olav, and his family. After all, what greater blessing could they have than to start their new life alongside family?

But then, trouble begins. It seems that Uncle Olav signed a loan with his friend, Erik Sandahl, promising to pay the loan off if Erik was unabl
Ashley
Jun 04, 2012 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Kirsten has been living on the Minnesota Frontier for only a few weeks when her neighbor and friend, Erik Sandahl, disappears. Erik had promised to help the Larsons at harvest time, and he owes Uncle Olav money. Has he run out on his promises? Everyone seems to think so - except Kirsten. Can she figure out what's happened to her friend?

About The Author: Kathleen Ernst is a writer and a historian. She spent twelve years working at a living-history museum called Old World Wisconsin, where she expe
Marya
Jun 04, 2013 Marya rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-series
While the main books in the series and the subsequent short stories are addressed for girls in the 8-10 range, this followup books is for a noticeably older age group. Perhaps the nature of a mystery stories (which must create an atmosphere of intense suspense), and the pioneer books (which must find a multitude of ways to threaten the characters with death from the elements) is what gives this book such a sinister spin. The Very Special Issues included in this book include domestic violence, ...more
Amanda
Jul 06, 2012 Amanda rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2012
Although its nice to see more development for Kirsten, its hard to fit this into her storyline. Ernst doesn't seem to quite get Kirsten. An alright little mystery.
Alexis
Jun 09, 2009 Alexis marked it as to-read
These AMerican Girl books are always so cute! And fun to read. I love 'em! THis was due at the library really soon so I didn't have the chance to read it. I totally will tho. I love 'em!
Katharine Ott
Apr 30, 2015 Katharine Ott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
"The Runaway Friend" - written by Kathleen Ernst and published in 2008 by American Girl Publishing. An engaging American Girl story featuring immigrants to Minnesota.
Sue
Sue rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2015
Nicole Marie
Nicole Marie rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2011
Christine Marie
Christine Marie rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2011
Madeleine
Madeleine rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Makenna
Makenna rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2015
hhertzof
hhertzof rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2014
Bayley
Bayley rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2012
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2015
Louisa
Louisa rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2014
Jenny
Jenny rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2011
Chloe
Chloe rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2012
Maureen
Maureen rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Lori
Lori rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2014
Emma
Emma rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2013
Sarah Bartsch
Sarah Bartsch rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Alicia Pollard
Alicia Pollard rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2015
Joey Susan
Joey Susan rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Abena Clarke
Abena Clarke rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2016
Savvy Jones
Savvy Jones rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2008
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2014
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
May 11, 2015
  • Traitor in Williamsburg: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Clue in the Castle Tower: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Cry of the Loon: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Shadows on Society Hill: An Addy Mystery
  • The Tangled Web: A Julie Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Silent Stranger: A Kaya Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • A Spy on the Home Front: A Molly Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Under Copp's Hill (American Girl History Mysteries, #8)
  • The Crystal Ball: A Rebecca Mystery
  • Shadows in the Glasshouse (American Girl History Mysteries, #10)
I grew up in Maryland, in a house full of books! Both of my parents were avid readers, thank goodness. Before we traveled to a new area, my librarian-mom used to bring home historical novels set in that place. It was a great way to get excited about history.

I began writing stories when I was maybe 10 or 11. At 15 I wrote my first novel; I sold my first novel to a publisher 20 years later! Writing
More about Kathleen Ernst...

American Girl Mysteries (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Silent Stranger: A Kaya Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Ghost Wind Stallion: A Kaya Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Peril at King's Creek: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Traitor in Williamsburg: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Lady Margaret's Ghost: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries (Quality))
  • Traitor in the Shipyard: A Caroline Mystery
  • The Traveler's Tricks: A Caroline Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Smuggler's Secrets: A Caroline Mystery
  • Secrets in the Hills: A Josefina Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Glowing Heart: A Josefina Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)