Start by marking “Moving Target” as Want to Read:
Moving Target

Moving Target

Ani King left her entire life behind when the Russian mafia brutally murdered her family. The Witness Security Program has kept her safe for two years, but with one simple phone call her cover is destroyed—and there is only one man left who can save her.

Published January 2nd 2008 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published November 9th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Moving Target, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moving Target

Julie (jjmachshev)
Feb 07, 2008 Julie (jjmachshev) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-reads
"Moving Target" is a fast-paced romantic suspense that keeps your heart pumping from start to finish. Cheyenne McCray writes characters that feel real, like they could be someone you know or would like to know. For me, that's one of the reasons I enjoy her stories...well, that and the smoking sex!

Ani has been in hiding for two years now under the Witness Protection Program. Her testimony will put away the man who murdered the rest of her family and strike a blow against the Russian mafia in New
Christa
Aug 19, 2008 Christa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moving Target was a very good fast paced romantic suspense novel. I enjoyed the story, and liked both the hero and heroine. Even though their connection to one another prohibited a personal relationship between them, neither the hero or heroine denied their deep feelings for one another. I find it refreshing when the characters admit they have feelings for one another without going through angst and denial first. Since their relationship was forbidden, the author could have turned up the unease ...more
Holly
Anistana King has been living in Bisbee, Arizona for the last year, almost two years since having witnessed the murder of her family by the Russian mob. She's been safely ensconced within the Witness Protection program, awaiting the day she can stand in court and testify. Her personal Inspector, US Marshall Daniel Parker has been her only link to her former life and she looks forward to his phone calls with joy and an ever growing amount of love. Two days before the trial, after having lived inc ...more
Auntee
Feb 09, 2008 Auntee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romantic Suspense fans
I loved this book! It was one of the best romantic suspenses I've read in a while. It had everything I like in a RS: a feisty, brave heroine; a sexy, sweet and courageous hero; a disgusting villain; a hot romance; and an exciting, suspenseful premise.

The heroine witnesses the murder of her family by the Russian mafia, and narrowly escapes her own death. She's placed in the witness protection program and has to stay hidden from the mob for 2 years until she has to testify at the trial. During tha
Miss Kim
Aug 26, 2008 Miss Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Miss Kim by: Kathrynn, JJ, Auntee
I liked Ms. McCray's Moving Target. I've had it my TBR for a while, and was happy I ended up liking it so well.It's actually a quick read, but I kept getting interrupted so it stretched out over the course of a few days, and I would lose my momentum. Arg! I'm looking forward to more from her. The HEA was so sweet! I wonder if her sister will get her own story?
♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
I saw the stupendous reviews for this book. I figured that since I love suspense and law enforcement, this book would be A-Ok with me.

I was so, so wrong.

I wanted to stop about 80 pages or so into the book. Ok, let me be truthful. I wanted to stop about 10 pages or so into the book.

Why? Because of our heroine, Ani King. Ani is in witness protection and she has been for two years. Two years in WITSEC means that Ani knows the deal. This is important because Ani's on the run from the Russian mob, wh
Amy
Apr 26, 2008 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When my favorite author, Cherry Adair, writes "suspenseful, edgy, and red hot sexy" to describe this book and author Cheyenne McCray, I figure it has to be awesome.

I think someone misquoted Cherry. Or out-and-out made it up.

This book was sincerely mediocre. The dialogue stunk. The plot was beyond unbelievable. And how many times can people in a book say the words "Russian Mafia"? It was about 1,004 times too many.

I'd also like to know why so many men and women in so many romances get so caugh
Kathrynn
Mar 04, 2008 Kathrynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathrynn by: Auntee
Felt this book had the potential to be a solid 5 stars, but there was a lot of repetition and fluff that had me wrinkling my nose a bit.

The two main characters, Daniel and Ani were good and well-developed. A few times the dialogue between the two got hokey for me. Ani, understandably, was very emotional and cried...often. But, some parts seemed to much like "eye-rolling-stuff-only-found-in-a-romance-book." And it was.

The book involved Ani going under the Witness Protection Program due to witnes
Shawna
5 stars – Romantic Suspense

Moving Target is a terrific romantic suspense read. It had all the essential elements that I love in a good romantic suspense novel, including an intriguing and thrilling plot that unfolds like a movie, a sexy, tough, protective, brave hero, a spirited, sweet, courageous heroine, a truly malicious villain, and scorching hot romance. It’s a very suspenseful, action-packed, steamy read that had me addicted from beginning to end. I look forward to reading more novels by a
Barbara ★
Ani King is testifying against the Russion Mafia and is in the witness protection program. Her handler (so to speak) is US Marshall Daniel Parker. During the two years before the trial, Ani and Daniel talk every week and develop a relationship. While travelling from Arizona to New York for the trial, the mafia does it's damndest to kill Ani and everyone near her. During this life threatening time, Danial and Ani fall in love.

This book is loaded with action and danger as every time they turn arou
Shireen Hakani
Very interesting and full of action. Couldn't put it down.
ATreads
Aug 14, 2016 ATreads rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, before I tear this book a new one, let me be fair. I don't read romance/erotica. Not my thing. But, I stumbled across this one and the Russian Mafia angle teased me and I took the bait. I thought, "Maybe there's just enough suspense there that I can tolerate this as a thriller instead of a romance novel, and by doing so, I will go beyond my comfort zone a little bit."

Give me back my comfort zone. Please.

The writing is terrible. I hope, I mean really, really, REALLY hope that this is not em
Kerry  sullivan
This book was reviewed for musings of a bookworm

The synopsis
Ani King left her entire life behind when the Russian mafia brutally murdered her family. The Witness Security Program has kept her safe for two years, but with one simple phone call her cover is destroyed and there is only one man left who can save her.
Protecting the brave, beautiful Ani became more than just a job a long time ago for Deputy Marshal Daniel Parker. And now, just days before the trial where she's slated to give a damnin
Colleen
I guess I'm the odd ball out. I chose to read this book because of the great reviews. It definitely had it's moments, but for the most part I found myself frustrated by how cheesy & hokey it was. It had action, definitely a lot of action and it had sex, very detailed sex. I'm not against that, but I definitely have to be in the mood for a book like this. I guess I just wasn't in the mood because this book didn't do a thing for me.
Jen
Great stuff! Some truly palpable chemistry between Daniel and Ani, and truly horrid villains (ah, these ruthless Russians) makes for an addictive read. Though I have to say, it wasn't as suspenseful as I'd imagined or rather, hoped. There was potential in that, I think.
Cheryl Meares
Mar 26, 2008 Cheryl Meares rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like Ani and Daniels story. Ani who witnesses her family murdered by the mafie is in Witness Protection and when she makes a fatal error by calling Daniel, the two are brought together my a series of events that will rock the pages out of the book.

Stephanie
Steamy page turner! What a fantastic book!

Kathleen
May 26, 2010 Kathleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when it first came out and LOVED it!
Cindy
Mar 05, 2009 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The original plot device to start the plot was way past annoying... The rest was pretty good but I found it hard to deal with heroine's stupidity. Very well written otherwise.
Tiffany Chen
1. Anistana has no charm.
2. McCray's narration makes it seem as if all the characters were of one mind.
3. McCray shoots herself in the foot with any suspense she tries to build up.

I would never recommend this to anyone unless they were just looking for some long, drawn-out erotica.

--- SPOILERS BELOW ---

McCray builds up the male lead and imbues him with many desirable characteristics (chiseled, attentive, giving - if you catch my drift, and loyal); he's willing to risk it all for a woman I can't
Borderstar
Did not finish - 1.5 stars
I don't normally add a rating to a book I don't finish, as I feel it's not fair if I haven't completed the book, but in this case I think it is valid for me to rate it, as I got 75% of the way through the story and no matter how good the ending might be, it couldn't make up for the first 3/4.

This started off well enough with a relatively interesting, although in no way unique, storyline... but it just dragged.

At half way in it seemed like really we were almost at the en
Ladiibbug
Sep 09, 2008 Ladiibbug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romantic Suspense Fans: Steamy
Romantic Suspense (Steamy!) - Stand Alone

Very entertaining - After two years hiding in the Witness Protection Program, it's time for Ani to finally testify against the Russian Mafia guy who killed her father, mother, and sister, and seriously wounded Ani.

But Ani makes a critical mistake -- one unauthorized phone call to a person from her past is all it takes for the mobsters to finally pinpoint Ani's location. Mob assassins swoop in, multiple car chases, shoot outs, and suspense ensues.

Good guy
Samantha
Jun 15, 2015 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I honestly didn’t know whether to give this four or five stars, I struggled a little with this rating. I decided to settle on five stars though because I did love this book.

While it did focus on the connection between the two characters, it still kept the plot and all the action up front and center.

The writing was beautiful and most of the questions I have are about if there will be a second book and if there is, maybe I’m just having trouble finding it.

I read another book by this author, Chosen
RomReader❤️Spoiler Giver❤️
Heroine, who's been part of witness-protection program the last 2 years, unknowingly puts her life in danger when she calls an old friend 2 weeks before testifying in court against the son of notorious Russian mafia who murdered her family. The US-Marshall agent who she's been getting close to via regular phone calls in the last 2 years rushes to her aid. Both eventually succumb to their strong attraction to each other in midst of getting her safe from repeated close calls on her life.

McCray kno
Hope Frost
Dec 03, 2011 Hope Frost rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In an effort for full disclosure, I have been in a reading slump lately. Not much has kept my attention, and there have been several books I have started and not finished. Luckily, THIS isn't one of those books. I loved this one from cover to cover. There is nonstop action and hotness between Ani and Daniel. Up against all odds, she had backbone and gumption and steel determination. Daniel tried, he really tried to see her as only his charge, but all those weekly phone calls, really cemented her ...more
Oct 08, 2011 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I chose this book randomly from the library shelf, so I deserve what I got. It was a fast read and kudos to McCray for her research on PTSD and the Federal Marshals. Unfortunately the plot is knocking on the "yeah right" end of the believable scale. You can only have so many shoot outs, car chases, and explosions before a decent romance novel becomes the script for a bad action movie. This book tries to bridge the gap between romance and thriller but falls short of either. Two stars because I di ...more
ZaBeth  Marsh
Feb 16, 2009 ZaBeth Marsh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ZaBeth by: Julie (jjmachshev) Anderson
A typical Russian mobster's attempts to kill a witness are hampered by a determined U.S. Marshall, Daniel Parker, who discovers that his drive to protect Ani King go way beyond his commitment to the job.

Ani and Daniel are strong likable characters. The bad guys are bad. The threats are threatening. While I found this to be a good quick read it was a rather predictable mobster story.

What saved this book for me was the incredible hot, passion between Ani and Daniel. Those two know how to turn up
Kim_bab
aku jadi penasaran, napa ren tanya, "kuat ga baca novelnya chey??" aku jadi penasaran dunkkkkk =)) sekarang aku aku tau maksudmu ren haghaghaghag [image error]

Ani King selama 2 tahun harus tinggal di safe house setelah menjadi saksi pembunuhan keluarganya yg dilakukan oleh mafia rusia (mengingatkanku akan novel lain <3). tetapi karena kesalahan kecil,tempat persembunyiannya terdeksi oleh mafia rusia tersebut, akibatnya ani harus menyelamatkan diri di bantu oleh Deputy Marshal Daniel Parker ya
Patty

Fast paced read. Suspense kept me hooked in.

Storyline: "Ani King left her entire life behind when the Russian mafia brutally murdered her family, in a fire. The Witness Security Program has kept her safe for two years, but with one simple phone call her cover is destroyed—and there is only one man left who can save her. Protecting the brave, beautiful Ani became more than just a job a long time ago for Deputy Marshal Daniel Parker".
Amy
Mar 03, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What do the Russian Mob, the Witness Security Program and a sexy US Marshall named Daniel Parker have to do with Ani King? LOTS!

Ani King left her entire life behind after her fmaily was brutally murdered by the Russian Mob 2 years ago. During this time, the Witness Security Program (WITSEC) has kept her save, but that all changes. With one simple phone call, her cover is blown and there is only one man left who can save her!

• Pursuit
  • Long, Lean and Lethal (FBI #2)
  • Caught (Gemini Men, #1)
  • Shoot to Thrill (Passion For Danger, #1)
  • Broken (Rafferty, #2)
  • Dark and Dangerous
  • Naked Truth (Dragon One #1)
  • Under Fire  (Under Fire #1)
  • Ready (Mercenary Trilogy, #1)
  • Slow Hands
  • Woman On The Run
  • Hot Night
  • Lie With Me (Shadow Force, #1)
  • Never Say Never (Callahan Brothers, #2)
  • No Regrets (Delta Force, #1)
  • Edge of Sight (The Guardian Angelinos, #1)
  • One Scream Away (Sheridan, #1)
Cheyenne McCray is an award winning, New York Times and USA Today Best Selling author who is a rare native Arizonan but refuses to be put behind glass as an endangered species.

In her spare time she loves to torture characters—whether they’re misbehaving or not—and kill off deserving individuals. She also totally gets off on blowing things up. All fictionally, of course. She’d rather chew glass th
More about Cheyenne McCray...

“Sometimes you know that no one can replace the person you love, and your heart will never be the same.” 13 likes
“Jenn: Do you love him?
Ani: Yeah, I do.
Jenn: Then you can forgive him. It's not worth it to let love slip through your hands.”
6 likes