Start by marking “Doctor Who and the Terror of the Autons (Doctor Who, #63)” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who and the Terror of the Autons (Doctor Who, #63)

Doctor Who and the Terror of the Autons (Doctor Who Library (Target) #63)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Novelization of the Doctor Who TV episodes/story of the same name.

The Earth is in terrible danger! The Master has arrived with an evil scheme to destroy humanity and silence the Doctor forever. His plan? To awaken the awesome power of the Nestene - a ruthlessly aggressive alien life form. With their control over all types of plastic, they form into faceless automatons, a w
Published May 1st 1983 by Target Books (first published May 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who and the Terror of the Autons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who and the Terror of the Autons

The Master
Here he is, the Master! His debut story shows him doing what he does best: plotting, conniving, menacing his victims, forging alliances to suit his nefarious purposes and discarding them as circumstances merit. Throw in the Third Doctor, the Nestene Consciousness, new assistant Jo and the UNIT lads and this is a cracking adventure. The Autons creeped me out in "Spearhead in Space" and "Rose", but I have not seen "Terror of the Autons." With the DVD release nowhere in sight, this read is the best ...more
rabbitprincess
May 18, 2012 rabbitprincess rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Doctor Who!
The Master, a renegade Time Lord and the Doctor's nemesis, is acting as a sort of Fifth Column element to allow a nefarious alien species called the Nestene to invade the Earth. Their favoured medium is plastic, through which they transmit energy and attack their enemies, particularly as the ruthless Autons. The Doctor repelled a previous Auton invasion, but can he do the same again?

This is a Third Doctor story that introduces one of his assistants, Jo Grant, who may not be the qualified scienti
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/1033342.html?#cutid1[return][return]This is one of Dicks' better efforts - introducing three new regular characters (Jo Grant and the Master both get good introductions here, Mike Yates rather less so) and bringing back the Autons. The Doctor is an inveterate name-dropper, and basically more fun than the character as actually played by Pertwee. It is a very rare case of Dicks actually improving on a Robert Holmes script - certainly when I eventually saw the original TV ...more
Ant Harrison
An exciting adventure from the era of the third Doctor, once more fighting those nasty Nestenes in the shape of the creepy Autons. Took me right back to my childhood as I zipped through this easy, but compelling story.

Author Terrance Dicks recreates brilliantly the characterisations of the Doctor, Jo, et al and I love the human touches that help ground the story and allow for that all important suspension if disbelief...something that (with the exception of Mark Gattis), few of today's Who writ
Travis
Since this story was introducing a new companion ( JO Grant) and a new villain ( The Master) the writers decided to hedge their bet, by having an old monster return. The Auton's are even creepier in this story and this version of the Master just serves as a reminder that all the versions that followed were pretty watered down and weak.
Good solid story that gives everybody something to do and establishes the Doctor/Master relationship.
stormhawk
I like first episodes, and this gives us several firsts ... first appearance by The Master, the best Doctor Who villain, and Jo Grant, who wasn't one of my favorite companions. The Autons are only mildly menacing in comparison to their appearance in Spearhead from Space. The story is chock full of action, and the story moves swiftly.
Daniel Kukwa
Another early, old-school, Terrance Dicks classic. He takes Robert Holmes lovely dark-and-twisted version of Doctor Who and translates it exceptionally well into prose. It also comes with one of my all-time-favourite book covers (second edition, natch)...now THAT is a DW monster!
Thasc
A very good story, well narrated, there's more to it then the televised version. Some cracking sound effects, and when Geoffrey Beevers reads the part where the Master is hypnotising someone his voice is electronically altered, it's almost as if the listener is being hypnotised too.
Jacqueline
I still can't window shop thanks to this Doctor Who story and this audio book didn't help. Wonderfully read by the late Caroline Johns this is a must listen for any Doctor Who fans classic or new series.
Simon
I enjoyed this one a lot, but I do have a soft spot for this story as it scared the crap out of me as 3yr old. Not helped when I knocked over a department store dummy shortly after seeing the episodes. :-)
Matt Heavner
fun good audiobook listening for cruising through DC traffic. It was my first Dr. Who audiobook and I think I'll get more -- it was good brain candy.
Wealhtheow
The Master vs. the Doctor and UNIT. The Master has living plastic (later seen in the very first episode of New Who), but the Doctor is irrepressible.
S.e.
Classic Doctor Who story.

Deadly plastic daffodils that threaten mankind. Need I say more!?

Vince
Vince marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Dan J
Dan J added it
Jun 29, 2015
Bobby Corry
Bobby Corry marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Viviane Azevedo
Viviane Azevedo marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Margo White
Margo White marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Alys
Alys added it
May 26, 2015
Niclas1224
Niclas1224 marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Heather Calder
Heather Calder marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Cary Morton
Cary Morton marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
  • Doctor Who and the Ice Warriors (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 33)
  • Doctor Who and the Cave-Monsters
  • Doctor Who and the Tomb of the Cybermen (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Doctor Who And The Daemons
  • Doctor Who and the Ark in Space
  • Doctor Who And The Crusaders
  • Doctor Who: Galaxy Four (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 104)
  • Doctor Who: Mawdryn Undead (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Doctor Who and the Zarbi (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Doctor Who: Enlightenment (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 85)
  • Doctor Who and the Masque of Mandragora (Target Doctor Who Library, No 8)
  • Doctor Who: Frontios (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 91)
  • Doctor Who and the Leisure Hive (Target Doctor Who Library)
Terrance Dicks is an English writer, best known for his work in television and for writing a large number of popular children's books during the 1970s and 80s.

His break in television came when his friend Malcolm Hulke asked for his help with the writing of an episode of the popular ABC (ITV) action-adventure series The Avengers, on which Dicks received a co-writer's credit on the broadcast. He als
More about Terrance Dicks...

Doctor Who Library (Target) (1 - 10 of 156 books)
  • Doctor Who and the Abominable Snowmen (Doctor Who Library Target, #1)
  • Doctor Who And The Android Invasion
  • Doctor Who and the Androids of Tara (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Doctor Who and the Ark in Space
  • Doctor Who and the Armageddon Factor (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Doctor Who and the Auton Invasion
  • Doctor Who and the Brain of Morbius
  • Doctor Who and the Carnival of Monsters
  • Doctor Who and the Cave-Monsters
  • Doctor Who and the Claws of Axos (Target Doctor Who Library)
Doctor Who: The Eight Doctors Doctor Who and an Unearthly Child Timewyrm: Exodus Doctor Who and the Abominable Snowmen (Doctor Who Library Target, #1) Doctor Who: Made of Steel