Start by marking “The Foreigner” as Want to Read:
The Foreigner

The Foreigner

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  849 ratings  ·  25 reviews
What does a shy Englishman in search of rest do when he visits a fishing lodge in Georgia? In Larry Shue's hilarious farce, Charlie Baker, a proofreader by day and boring husband by night, adopts the persona of a foreigner who doesn't understand English. When others begin to speak freely around him, he not only becomes privy to secrets both dangerous and frivolous, he also ...more
Paperback, Acting Edition, 72 pages
Published June 1st 1995 by Dramatists Play Service, Inc. (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Foreigner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Foreigner

A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee WilliamsThe Crucible by Arthur MillerDeath of a Salesman by Arthur MillerThe Glass Menagerie by Tennessee WilliamsWho's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? by Edward Albee
Best American Plays
58th out of 181 books — 252 voters
Hamlet by William ShakespeareMacbeth by William ShakespeareThe Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar WildeRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareA Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams
Best Plays Ever
467th out of 534 books — 683 voters

More lists with this book...

Caroline
Dec 15, 2014 Caroline rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who love The Importance of Being Earnest, fans of P.G. Wodehouse
The ultimate "I laughed so hard I cried" read. It's even funnier performed, if that's possible. The characters here are larger than life and lovable. "The Foreigner" is a hidden gem that should be shelved right alongside The Importance of Being Earnest.
Chris
A funny play with some good characters and a nice premise.

I was bothered a bit at how plainly bad the bad guys were and fully good the good guys were and so there is no ambiguity. Plus the play misses a couple of the ideas it opened up dealing with making up for the regrets in one's life.

This being said, the play is quite funny (even with the obvious jokes), characters are sympathetic, and I enjoyed reading it.
Emily Lewis
Fun to read, but I imagine better to watch. It moves quickly, which is usually good, but sometimes I felt in this case things were being rushed. "That escalated quickly" doesn't even begin to cover the ending. All that said, the characters are lovable and funny, the premise solid, and the conclusion both surprising and satisfying (mostly).
Neil
A funny play about a glum Englishman deposited by his friend in a backwater Georgia lodge for a holiday. Through a misunderstanding, the people there think he can't speak English, and because of this, some of them start babbling evil secrets to him, a young woman unburdens herself of the doubts about her love life, and a young man thought to be dense by others discovers his gifts for "teaching" English. Hilarity ensues.

I enjoyed this, but can't help but wonder if it's a little dated. Can you put
Haley Page
Love this play!
Maureen
One of my students won't shut up about how much he loves this play - and now I can see why. Wildly entertaining slapstick, which, if you're in the mood for, can be quite fun. I wish it needed a bigger cast, though...still, a distinct possibility for next year's comedy!
Fauzia Lakh
Funny and sweet. I can almost hear Froggy's dialect, I read it out loud for a bit just to listen to the way it sounded.

I was definitely scared for Charlie for a while there and happy it turned out the way it did. Nice little twists.
Hanley
Apr 09, 2008 Hanley rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Hanley by: Ann Marie Costa
Shelves: plays
The funniest thing I've both read and seen in a long time! Quick, brilliantly constructed, yummy characters and a happy ending. Several good monologues, too!
Jeremy
A very quick read. I was done in about an hour. It was quite amusing. Very humorous and entertaining. I laughed the whole time while reading it.
Sara
Aug 10, 2007 Sara rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: drama
It's funny, but it is easy funny. I prefer wit to slapstick, but I did enjoy it. 5 Men, 2 Women, which is probably why my interest in it is limited.
Lauren
Loved it! So funny- would love to direct this play one day! Challenges- different accents (dialects) and the trap door. So much fun!
James Dutcher
Larry Shue was funny. I listened to a performance of this by LA Theatre Works starring Paxton Whitehead.
Lexie
Hilarious. Hilarious. It was a little silly but hilarious. Not a serious play, but kind of serious.
Katie
i absolutely love this play. So much fun and a great comedy. One of my most favorite plays.
Karly Eaton
This is a play that you must see on stage to truly appreciate the comedy and character development.
Hanna
This was amazing. Laughed out loud several times while reading this. Brilliant writing.
CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian
Directed this show in 2001. Wonderful show love it. Fo-work two words.
Sam

Funny. Ther's no better way to describe it.
Leah
I loved this play, and hope to see it live.
April
Confusing, like life. About real people~yeah...
Margaret
One of the funniest plays I've ever seen.
Jennifer Mancini
Hilarious show. Just hilarious.
Alan
This was a very funny play.
P
Did this play in high school.
Anna Rose
Anna Rose marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
  • Dancing at Lughnasa
  • The Miss Firecracker Contest
  • Dead Man's Cell Phone
  • Rumors
The Nerd Wenceslas Square My Emperor's New Clothes: Musical Grandma Duck is Dead