Start by marking “American Ways: A Guide for Foreigners in the United States” as Want to Read:
American Ways: A Guide for Foreigners in the United States

American Ways: A Guide for Foreigners in the United States

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  10 reviews
This title seeks to provide insights into the American psyche and character. It looks at American values, assumptions and ways of reasoning to help foreigners to understand the enigmatic Americans. This edition features a new chapter on race and ethnic relations.
Published October 1st 2002 by Nicholas Brealey Publishing (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about American Ways, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Ways

Patrick
While this book is written for non-Americans, I enjoyed reading it and getting a sense for how other cultures might have trouble integrating with ours. It gives me a sense for how I can be more sensitive and accommodating when working with my foreign colleagues.

It was an extremely quick read.
Oliver
This is book by a US University foreign student adviser who presumably has written about the kind of issues he has to deal with on a daily basis. Actually that would probably make a very funny book but you wont find any laughs here. It's mostly aimed at students for whom English is not their first language; and I think most Western Europeans wont find too much here that they didn't expect. Also it's a bit dated (1988) - probably wouldn't use the term Foreign now. Still there are a few interestin ...more
Cooee
It was interesting seeing how our behavior appears - or might appear - to someone from another culture. But mostly I found myself wanting more detail of cultural comparisons. Of course, I realize this book wasn't designed to entertain someone who grew up American. I wish I could give it one more star, but... I don't know, by the time I got halfway through I was skimming. What can I say, I'm American and therefore quite possibly ill-informed and semi-illiterate. LOL sorry I couldn't resist. Actua ...more
Joy Jiang
It's good for me. I learned more.
Oteau Rehagle
From the title
Obviously, it will show us about Chinese, (-_-" not funny! damn it.

This is my text book, that talk about the point of view in American ways, very interesting cause my background is plenty different with US.

Anyway, I live here,I have to understand more about US. Something in this book, I believe it was not truth, Probably the view of author was different to when he wrote about eastern.

Eventually, I believe it was not a very bad book, good. just spend time to read it!!
Agnes
It is good for English language learners, because it is not a difficult reading. I think it is helpful guide, it gathers the tipical stereotypes and explains the American culture. Lots of customs were obvious for me but I know that in many other cultures these are not as evident as in my country.
The only problem with this book was that it is very-very didactic.
Ann
Focuses on general customs and habits of Americans for foreigners coming here for a short or extended period. A good read for Americans going abroad or in interactions with foreigners so that we don't come across as heavy-handed.
Terry
Sep 12, 2012 Terry added it
Great book. Helped me fall in love with world cultures and how little we all know about ourselves and others ways of being.
Lily
Feb 16, 2010 Lily added it
Shelves: culture, non-fiction, 2009
It's a textbook - but interesting to read because of an outsider's view of American culture.
Huma Rashid
Solid and informative.
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Quinn
Quinn marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Klahan
Klahan marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Elaine_24rhotmail.com
Elaine_24rhotmail.com marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Dania Al-harbi
Dania Al-harbi is currently reading it
Aug 11, 2014
Fatika
Fatika is currently reading it
Jul 30, 2014
An
An is currently reading it
Jun 16, 2014
Mai Hương
Mai Hương is currently reading it
Jun 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
American Ways American Ways, Third Edition: A Cultural Guide to the United States of America Handbook of Foreign Student Advising American Ways, Third Edition: A Cultural Guide to the United States of America American Ways: A Cultural Guide to the United States of America