Start by marking “American Ways: A Guide for Foreigners in the United States” as Want to Read:
American Ways: A Guide for Foreigners in the United States

American Ways: A Guide for Foreigners in the United States

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  73 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
This title seeks to provide insights into the American psyche and character. It looks at American values, assumptions and ways of reasoning to help foreigners to understand the enigmatic Americans. This edition features a new chapter on race and ethnic relations.
Published October 1st 2002 by Nicholas Brealey Publishing (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about American Ways, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Ways

Patrick
Dec 23, 2010 Patrick rated it liked it
Shelves: textbook, non-fiction
While this book is written for non-Americans, I enjoyed reading it and getting a sense for how other cultures might have trouble integrating with ours. It gives me a sense for how I can be more sensitive and accommodating when working with my foreign colleagues.

It was an extremely quick read.
Bar
Jun 25, 2015 Bar rated it really liked it
Reading this book, I was proud of myself to have had "figured out" the American culture and society through my own personal experiences! Although there were definitely very helpful passages which entangled some all-American notions, mostly abstract, such as American individualism, most of the book was not particularly enlightening for me. I do, however, strongly recommend it to any foreign citizen wishing to stay in the States for a period of time (or for good!).
Oliver
Sep 11, 2011 Oliver rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: americana
This is book by a US University foreign student adviser who presumably has written about the kind of issues he has to deal with on a daily basis. Actually that would probably make a very funny book but you wont find any laughs here. It's mostly aimed at students for whom English is not their first language; and I think most Western Europeans wont find too much here that they didn't expect. Also it's a bit dated (1988) - probably wouldn't use the term Foreign now. Still there are a few interestin ...more
Cooee
Sep 18, 2010 Cooee rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
It was interesting seeing how our behavior appears - or might appear - to someone from another culture. But mostly I found myself wanting more detail of cultural comparisons. Of course, I realize this book wasn't designed to entertain someone who grew up American. I wish I could give it one more star, but... I don't know, by the time I got halfway through I was skimming. What can I say, I'm American and therefore quite possibly ill-informed and semi-illiterate. LOL sorry I couldn't resist. Actua ...more
Ali
Feb 19, 2016 Ali added it
This book was assigned for us in the culture class after high school in 2007.
Joy Jiang
Feb 08, 2014 Joy Jiang rated it liked it
It's good for me. I learned more.
Oteau Rehagle
Oct 13, 2007 Oteau Rehagle rated it did not like it
Shelves: mytextbook
From the title
Obviously, it will show us about Chinese, (-_-" not funny! damn it.

This is my text book, that talk about the point of view in American ways, very interesting cause my background is plenty different with US.

Anyway, I live here,I have to understand more about US. Something in this book, I believe it was not truth, Probably the view of author was different to when he wrote about eastern.

Eventually, I believe it was not a very bad book, good. just spend time to read it!!
Agnes
Dec 22, 2012 Agnes rated it really liked it
It is good for English language learners, because it is not a difficult reading. I think it is helpful guide, it gathers the tipical stereotypes and explains the American culture. Lots of customs were obvious for me but I know that in many other cultures these are not as evident as in my country.
The only problem with this book was that it is very-very didactic.
Ann
Nov 13, 2009 Ann rated it really liked it
Focuses on general customs and habits of Americans for foreigners coming here for a short or extended period. A good read for Americans going abroad or in interactions with foreigners so that we don't come across as heavy-handed.
Terry
Sep 12, 2012 Terry added it
Great book. Helped me fall in love with world cultures and how little we all know about ourselves and others ways of being.
Lily
Feb 16, 2010 Lily added it
Shelves: non-fiction, culture, 2009
It's a textbook - but interesting to read because of an outsider's view of American culture.
Huma Rashid
Jul 15, 2012 Huma Rashid rated it really liked it
Solid and informative.
Gia Huang
Gia Huang rated it really liked it
May 15, 2016
Weishubuduo
Weishubuduo rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Mnuz
Mnuz rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2016
William
William rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2016
Ngocmy35sptath1gmail.Com
Ngocmy35sptath1gmail.Com marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Quân
Quân marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Laura Fike
Laura Fike rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Derrick-jamie
Derrick-jamie rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2015
Pegah nazari
Pegah nazari marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Ashley Destroya
Ashley Destroya rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2016
Yomi Wanimbo
Yomi Wanimbo marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Aegina Barnes
Aegina Barnes marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Bader Abuqamaz
Bader Abuqamaz rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2015
Ngan Le
Ngan Le rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Nelke
Nelke marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015