Start by marking “The Little Colonel's House Party” as Want to Read:
The Little Colonel's House Party

The Little Colonel's House Party (The Little Colonel #3)

Annie Fellows Johnston (1863-1931) was an American author of juvenile fiction, most well-known for the Little Colonel series, the first book of which was made into a 1935 movie starring Shirley Temple, Bill "Bojangles" Robinson and Lionel Barrymore. Johnston based her characters on friends and family, many of whom appear in several different series. Her semi-biographical c ...more
Paperback, Illustrated Edition, 176 pages
Published July 13th 2007 by Dodo Press

To ask other readers questions about The Little Colonel's House Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Colonel's House Party

Magda
Sep 02, 2007 Magda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had forgotten how sweet these books are. The children are portrayed as normal, but struggling (with the help of their parents and other adults) to become better, not necessarily for the sake of "being good" but because they see the benefit of it for themselves.

Lloyd, Eugenia, Joyce, and Betty all get together for a house party at Locust (Lloyd's home in Kentucky). Eugenia convinces the others to go against Lloyd's mother's wishes (except Betty, who had spoken to Lloyd's mother in person also).
Victoria
Aug 02, 2012 Victoria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was a child every Christmas Eve I would read either this book or "Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm" because I would be incapable of sleeping that night. My copy, from 1916, is now battered and taped, but this year it called to me for a re-read. Having done so I am struck by just how much this sweet little book, very much a product of its turn-of-the-century time frame, has affected me over the years. It's really the tale of how one poor, orphan girl's goal of building her own "road of loving ki ...more
Sue
Oct 30, 2013 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books, written in the late 1890's, were given to me when I was 5 years old, perhaps younger, in the mid-1940's. They had belonged to a neighbor whom I greatly admired. I didn't start reading them until I was 8 or older and then just fell in love with them. I still have the books, although the set was not complete. This is the series of books that gave me the love of reading I have to this day. Thank you, Frederica.
Abigail
May 18, 2014 Abigail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the little colonel is so comforting -- and historically interesting, too. i spent quite a while researching what betty might have had the first time she had the measles (since you really can't get it twice), and, thanks to my previous reading, i think she might actually have had variola minor, which was going around the area at the time. connections!
CLM
Feb 27, 2008 CLM rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Carney's House Party first, and obviously came to this series via Maud Hart Lovelace but now own nearly all of them.
Diana Lambert
Dec 29, 2011 Diana Lambert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written older book - much vocabulary. Enjoyed the morals in the story. It would be fun to hear a 'tween' readers review!
Marti Wade
Silly, dated, etc. But mentioned in another book I loved as a child... so in searching for easy reads that are free and fun and pass the time, I picked up this one. Sweet.
Ysa
Ysa rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2014
Megan
Megan rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2008
Katy
Katy rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2010
Bea Jacques
Bea Jacques rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2011
Liza
Liza rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2010
Lila
Lila rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2009
Jdwok
Jdwok rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2012
Valari
Valari rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2017
Casie
Casie rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2017
Kate Leupin
Kate Leupin rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2012
Carey Roberts
Carey Roberts rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2013
Elise
Elise rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2007
Lori Bow
Lori Bow rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2012
Paula
Paula rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2016
Beatrice
Beatrice rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2012
Aidy
Aidy rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2010
Karen Elmquist
Karen Elmquist rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2013
Alissa
Alissa rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2013
Elma
Elma rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2008
Gin
Gin rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2010
Panda Incognito
Panda Incognito rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2011
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Annie Fellows Johnston (1863-1931) was an American author of children's fiction who wrote the popular "Little Colonel" series, which was the basis for the 1935 Shirley Temple film The Little Colonel. She was born and grew up in McCutchanville, Indiana, a small unincorporated town near Evansville, Indiana.
More about Annie Fellows Johnston...

The Little Colonel (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Little Colonel