Nocover-blank-133x176
After The Fire

J.A. Jance

After The Fire

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Decades ago, J. A. Jance published some poems in a thin chapbook, not yet ready to tell the world directly about the terrible struggles in her life. At last, she's telling the whole story, in a narrative that explains what was happening in her life as she created each poem. She explores her past with burning words set in the dust of the Arizona desert, revealing in the pro...more
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published November 28th 2005 by Sound Library (first published January 1st 1984)

Kathryn
Poetry has always been a struggle for me, but I thoroughly appreciated Ms. Jance's narratives. I have had friends suffer through similar marriages and divorces, and although I hurt for them, I never truly understood. Thanks to the vulnerable and open sharing of AFTER THE FIRE, I think I understand much more now. I'm also encouraged by the happiness and success that Ms. Jance has experienced in the second half of her life.
Christy
That fire can cleanse as well as destroy is no mystery to J. A. Jance. Before she found fame as a best-selling mystery author, Judith Jance wrestled with the personal anguish of being married to an alcoholic. For years she composed poetry in secret and kept it locked away. Finally it was published as After the Fire in 1984, the year before her debut novel. After the Fire c
Nora
I am not familiar with Ms. Jance as a mystery writer and will now read some of her other work out of respect for this wonderfully written memoir. She describes various events in her life, and shares the poems she wrote to cope with the darkness of her marriage to an alcoholic.
SteffieStar
Very Powerfull Poems!! A lot of them hit close to home for me. I got married at 18, right out of High School. Took me 22 yrs to get the balls to leave him, he gave me many reasons...emotional abuse, affairs. Why do we stay?? The one and only thing I can give him brownie points for was his being an AWESOME father to our to children(son/30 & Daughter/28)

I am a changed woman with a husband who loves & adores me, we have been together 13 yrs..Feb. 14th! Married since 8-7-2003!

So to say the l...more
Jeffrey
Insightful - I wish every author wrote the way J.A. Jance does in this book. She puts a lot of her self into this one. She tells about where she was and what was happening at the time of the writing. She brings up passed abuses (hers) and the accusation of abuse (her daughter's at the hands of her ex-husband).

A must read for anyone who likes reading J.A. Jance and even those who haven't read her.
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
Although I don't normally read books written in poetry or prose, I couldn't pass this one up being as it came from an author who I have greatly enjoyed and I love to read about authors.

For me, a reader who doesn't do poetry much, the added benefit of her telling the story behind the poem, about the time and setting with which it was written was perfect!

It was simple, small and perfect to read in one sitting. I wouldn't mind reading more of these biographies of authors that I enjoy.
Sara
These are poems Jance wrote in the early years of her first marriage which was to an alcoholic telling of her anguish as well as her enabling, some due to the time period (1950's and 60's) when unnecessary burdens were place on women to maintain their marriages no matter what. And shockingly, considering what a popular author she now is, she was denied admission to the Writing School at the U of Arizona because they refused to allow women.
A
This is a very well done book of poems and very insightful for those living and dealing with an alcoholic, especially a spouse. Although I have never dealt with such a situation, the poems expressed Jance's thoughts and feelings so well that I could understand and feel her frustrations and why she stayed in the marriage so long. Unfortunately, one of her children could not.
Devon
I loved this book which is really a record of the difficulties in Ms. Jance's marriage and the poems she wrote at the time about what was happening and how she felt. A good read. On the flyleaf it says: "Devon: my #1 Canadian fan." (She autographed it for me using my words, I must admit.)
Marjorie
Very nice presentation and good poetry. At least the poetry appealed to me, which a lot does not.
Very personal and honest revelations of Judith's background, views, changes, growth, and gratefulness.
Good choice as a gift to someone coping with grief.
Judith Kerr
These poems are a moving account of Judy Jance`s heartaches during her marriage to an alcoholic. I was moved to tears as I read her soul reveaing feelings. Now I can understand some of her characters in the books she has written since that time.
Sharon
Outstanding collection of poetry from one of my favorite authors. Jance shares her heart and soul and I felt much admiration for her courage and strength.
Adrienne Teague
I don't feel like it's great poetry, but the feelings it inspires are genuine, and I think that's what matters most.
Jeanne
An ugly but true revelation of spousal abuse. A must read for giving spirits.
7thhvn
heard her speak and sing remarkable for her age...
Sandra
This a book of poetry written by J A Jance. They are moving, emotional, emotion filled words. She takes you on a personal journey through parts of her own life. It moved me very much.
Daniell
Daniell marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Marylou Bouchard
Marylou Bouchard marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
M B
M B marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Barbara Heil
Barbara Heil marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Maricruz Hernandez
Maricruz Hernandez marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Amber Petersen
Amber Petersen marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
NV
NV marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
Lorraine Fields
Lorraine Fields marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Judith Ann Jance is the top 10 New York Times bestselling author of the Joanna Brady series; the J. P. Beaumont series; three interrelated thrillers featuring the Walker family; and Edge of Evil, the first in a series featuring Ali Reynolds. Born in South Dakota and brought up in Bisbee, Arizona, Jance lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington, and Tucson, Arizona.

Series:
* J.P. Beaumont
* Joann...more
More about J.A. Jance...
Desert Heat (Joanna Brady, #1) Until Proven Guilty Betrayal of Trust (J.P. Beaumont, #20) Fire And Ice (J.P. Beaumont, #19 / Joanna Brady, #14) Partner In Crime (J.P. Beaumont, #16 / Joanna Brady, #10)