Start by marking “Fear” as Want to Read:
Fear

Fear

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Shawn Mathews is in an abusive relationship, spurning all attempts to help him until his lover almost beats him to death.

Doctor Gene Collins understands what Shawn has gone through, and after the beating he takes him under his wing, trying to help him to regain control of his life and live without fear.

In the process each man learns it is possible to care for someone and t
Published September 21st 2013 by Silver Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Fear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fear

Gigi
On paper, this is a slam dunk for me. I'm a HUGE fan of healing/comfort and here is a young man being physically and sexually abused by his boyfriend with a Good Samaritan doctor coming to his rescue. Unfortunately, I was not able to feel any heat between the two MCs in this book so it left me unsatisfied. I didn't feel any sexual tension and they did not consummate their relationship until the final 90% of the book.

I wasn't thrilled with this one, but it might just be me, so if you are a M/M r
Serena Yates
This is a book about abuse and its consequences, ranging from physical to emotional and mental, so it is not an easy read. However, it is written with clear understanding of situations like this, and a huge amount of compassion for the men affected. And what I really liked about it is that it took me through all the stages of Shawn's fight to become an independent person and his own man. It didn’t sugarcoat anything and didn’t leave anything out. The story begins with the final stages of Shawn's ...more
NancyM
Before and after reactions to this book.

description

Just wasn't feeling it.
I like books that have the hurt/comfort/nursing back to health plot. This (despite the blurb) had very little. Sure there was a hospital scene - very briefly, but mostly it discussed the psychological aspect of abuse and even that somewhat fell flat. I felt like the MCs had no chemistry/connection.
JustJen "Miss Conduct"

3.5 stars Review written for The Blog of Sid Love.

This was a really sweet story. Poor Shawn was so disillusioned by Jared and what he believed was a normal loving relationship. Jared, of course, was an abusive bastard, both physically and mentally, and while quite a lot of abuse takes place, there are not a lot of details given in that respect. Eventually, Jared goes too far and puts Shawn in the hospital.

Gene Collins, a man with a similar past abusive relationship, sees signs of the same thing
Candice
domestic abuse photo: stop the male abuse STOP_Domestic_Abuse_by_MediaGambit.jpg

I am going to keep this at a 3, because while I liked the story, the romance was...off.

Shawn Mathews is a 20something year old mechanic. He's in a long term abusive relationship with his boyfriend, Jared. Can I just say that my heart hurt for Shawn. He tried so hard, but didn't understand the term "abuse". It actually makes me sad and pissed off at the same time. Sad that domestic abuse happens and the victims feel like they have nowhere else to go or that they deserved it and pissed off becaus
Dena
Sep 21, 2013 Dena rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: abuse, m-m
I am a big fan of books where an abused person is able to overcome their past and learn to trust and love again so I knew I needed to read Fear. I'm glad it didn't gloss over the long term effects of abuse--it's not something someone just gets over--but on the other hand I prefer a little more emotional intensity/passion between my mc's. I want to know there is a real attraction and that the relationship is not just about convenience or safety. With Fear I didn't really feel that--it was more fo ...more
Angelmira
This was comfort/hurt story which i really loved. And i like this one. It was sweet. And the abusive relationship was very well described. Gene was awesome friend. i would really want someone like him in my life. But there was something missing for me. Some kind of spark between main characters.
Cathy Brockman
:Review Written for http://mmgoodbookreviews.wordpress.com/
Shawn has been abused but doesn’t really see it that way. Gene meets him and can tell the man has been abused and steps in to help him. Gene has his own reasons for taking Shawn under his wing.
This is a very poignant story of abuse. My heart goes out to Shaw and I can relate to his feelings of insecurity and independence. This author has a way of making characters feel so real, so dull of depth that you just get sucked right in. I eve
Pat
Richardson takes on an issue that isn't often dealt with in gay fiction - the physical abuse of one man on his partner - even though it must be as prevalent in homosexual relationships as it is in heterosexual ones. How the abused man frees himself from the tyranny of another and breaks the chains in his mind that tell him abuse equals love makes for a moving and poignant story.

Twenty-something auto mechanic Shawn Mathews seems to suffer quite a few mishaps, his boss Max tells 30-year-old Dr. G
Natālija
I've started this book twice before and couldn't get past the 1st chapter because the subject matter hits a little too close to home. Now that I have read it, I can't seem to find the right words to express my thoughts. Most importantly, it's a good book, one definitely worth reading. I wouldn't call it a story with a typical happily ever after ending because there is a long road ahead of the characters, but they are definitely on the right path. Despite the subject, there are many things I love ...more
-RMG
1·5 stars - Didn't enjoy this one. I felt that the MC's lacked heartfelt chemistry, and the events happening in the book were a little too exaggerated in some parts and just plain annoying. Shawn fell out of love way too easily with his abuser and too quickly in love with Gene. Sometimes I don't mind that, but in this case it felt out of place considering the theme of the story. There were other areas that bothered me as well, too many to get into really. This story was definitely not for me.
Trisie
It wasn't a bad book but it was dragging too much for my personal taste, I found myself skipping through some parts that tend to appear over and over again in many novels with hurt/comfort theme. If you are in the mood for a healing focused book without much action, then it could be just your kind of story, otherwise you'll have to wait almost till the end for some sexing between MCs, the thing I don't mind at all only in very engaging books.
Edson
Edson added it
May 08, 2015
Janet Morris
Janet Morris marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Johanna
Johanna marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Christie
Christie marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Shelby P
Shelby P marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Born and bred Cleveland, I earned a degree in technical theater, later switched to costuming, and headed to NYC. Finally seeing the futility of trying to become rich and famous in the Big Apple, I joined VISTA, ending up in Chicago for three years. Then it was on to Denver where I put down roots and worked as a costume designer until just recently.

I began writing five years ago after joining an o
More about Edward Kendrick...
Everyone's Man Forbidden Fruit Hitman's Creed (Hitman's Creed, #1) Abstract Realism An Honorable Man