Start by marking “Little Boy” as Want to Read:
Little Boy

Little Boy

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  32 reviews
The simple playthings, the everyday moments, picking up that hundredth rock -- all of these are brimming with possibility...if you slow down and let the future begin with the small moments of today. Because everything depends on letting a little boy...be a little boy.
Published April 15th 2008 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Little Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Boy

Carolyn Hart
A lovely picture book, Little Boy is a celebration of play and a reminder – especially for adults – that small moments can have great meaning and impact. We watch from morning until night as a young boy plays with his dog, enjoys time in the out-of-doors, has fun with a large cardboard box, helps with cooking, plays with his toys and spends time with his dad.

Little boy, so much depends on a blue mixing bowl,
a ball in the goal,
the tree that fell,
that wet-dog smell, and…
your big cardboard box.

Note
Julie
Apparently, I dislike Alison McGhee. This book is sappy and senseless at the same time. I appreciate boys and I appreciate living in the moment. However, this book (including those two themes) did not charm me.
Wooden Horse
We're working on transitioning from being a "baby" to a "toddler" and due to the title I thought this might help the little guy realize he is growing up even if his parents would prefer he stay cute and adorable for a few more years. I fear instead this book has inspired him to use every last band-aid in the box and to hoard boxes for spaceships and race cars. It probably doesn't help that I bought him his first "super hero" cape two weeks ago. He pretty much wants to try everything in this book ...more
Justin Guardiani
A great book to read to your child. I would recommend to anyone regardless if you have a boy or a girl. The themes of imagination, curiosity, explorations and simply being a kid are so universal and charming. The illustrations are warm and fun. It's also fun to read this and catch yourself remembering all the endless possibilities a card-board box possessed. The story is childhood at it's simplest and happiest.
Chenae
If you have a "little boy" this book will hold a special place in your heart. After getting it at the library I had to own this book. When I'm at a loss trying to figuring out to mother a little boy, I read this book to remember the simple joys of watching my little boy experience life and that he is a good example of living in the "now". :)
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
The text of this book read like it was aimed at grownups rather than kids, especially picture book aged kids. The book is written from the point of view of a parent reminiscing on the preciousness and wonderfulness of their little boy, which is very nice but not really a children's book. I do think the illustrations are charming, though.
Jo
A sweet ode to little boys and cardboard boxes. Adorable illustrations by Peter H. Reynolds. This is a children's book that parents will probably enjoy more than their kids or the type of book that Mom and Dad read to their new baby boy. <3
Dona
This is a tender story about little boys and the joys that they bring. I was going with three stars until the very end when I got all sentimental thinking of my 4 little boys, who are not so very little anymore (one of them is 6' 4"). The last line is, "Little boy, you remind me how so much depends on days made of now."
Denise
What a beautiful, simple story celebrating all the wonderful things about a little boy that serve as daily reminders to live in the moment. I don't think I would use this for storytime, for one thing, the book itself is too small for large groups, but I feel this would be better served as a one-on-one book.
Paula
Cute illustrations with short text, might be more interesting to parents than to kids but could be a nice read aloud for a parent.
A father reflects on how the future depends upon the all of the little things in his son's world, from his yellow drinking cup to a big cardboard box.
Michelle Nero
Love both the author and the illustrator working together. A sweet story about a boy and the reminder to the parents to live in the now -- there will be no other time than right now with your child. I think it's written for the parents than children.
Molly
Cute story about all the reasons a mother loves her son. My son listened, but I don't think we'll read it together again, its really more for parents. This would make a nice gift for a new mom, or a mom who may have forgotten just why she loves her son...
Josiah
I immediately got the resemblance in this book to the William Carlos Williams poem, as I am a big fan of Sharon Creech's "Love That Dog", in which the poem also figures prominently! This story is well written and enjoyable. A good book.
MissInformation
"Little boy so much depends on..." many homey objects and daily activities listed. A rhyming book that is nice and very simple. The ending is geared to the adult:
"Little boy, you remind me how
so much depends on days made of now."
Andrea Paterson
Adorable illustrations in this book. From the perspective of a parent who watches their child navigating the world and learns through him the value of small things and living in the present moment. Really touching and sweet.
Cristina
I really love this book for my son. We read it to him every other night before bed time. The story line is so simple but beautiful and true! We love the illustrations. We definitely recommend it!
Holli
Nov 04, 2010 Holli added it
This book is so sweet and made me get all teary-eyed thinking about my little boys. How quickly time passes and they are growing up. Boys are so fun and I love mine very much. Enjoyed this book.
Carrie
A storytime mom with 2 boys just gave me this book as a little gift and it is sweet! :) I now know that cardboard boxes to play with are vital to having a healthy, happy boy!
Elizabeth Glaittli
I love this book about a "little boy" and how his life depends on so many things, including his "big cardboard box". Super cute story I love reading it to my nephew!!!
Christi
Cute story. Purchased without even opening it because I liked "Someday" so much. My 4yo son gives it to all his buddies now for birthday gifts.
Grace
Everything that a little boy is - his dog, his toys, his imagination, and most of all...his big cardboard box.
Susan
Very sweet, but may be better for parents to read than kids. Maybe a good baby gift for a new mom?
Katy Brandes
Very cute illustrations, but that's all there is to it. Otherwise, it's totally bland.
Colby Sharp
I liked this book, but it felt more geared to the parent reading it then the child.
Evan
I liked it because it had all this great stuff like a cardboard box.
Ann
this might be my new go-to book for baby gifts. Adorable.
Lisa
would make a nice gift for parents of a baby boy
Jennie
This is what little boys are all about.
Erika
  • Rainstorm
  • Fuddles
  • Before You Were Mine
  • Oh, Baby! Go, Baby!
  • Can I Play Too? (Elephant & Piggie, #12)
  • Help Me, Mr. Mutt!: Expert Answers for Dogs with People Problems
Alison McGhee is the award-winning author of picture books, poems, and novels for all ages, including the young adult novel ALL RIVERS FLOW TO THE SEA and the #1 NEW YORK TIMES bestseller SOMEDAY, illustrated by Peter H. Reynolds. Alison McGhee lives in Minnesota.
More about Alison McGhee...
Someday Shadow Baby Julia Gillian (and The Art Of Knowing) All Rivers Flow To The Sea Snap