Start by marking “How to Get Rich” as Want to Read:
How to Get Rich

How to Get Rich

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,654 Ratings  ·  138 Reviews
'Making money is a knack, a knack that can be acquired. And if someone like me can become rich, then so can you - no matter what your present circumstances. Here is how I did it and what I learned along the way.' So writes Felix Dennis, who believes that almost anyone of reasonable intelligence can become rich, given sufficient motivation and application.

How To Get Rich is
Published August 2nd 2007 by Ebury Press

To ask other readers questions about How to Get Rich, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Get Rich

The One Thing by Gary KellerHow to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieTotal Recall by Arnold SchwarzeneggerThe 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyPitch Anything by Oren Klaff
Tai Lopez - Book Recommendations
94th out of 108 books — 15 voters
Freakonomics by Steven D. LevittOutliers by Malcolm GladwellThe Tipping Point by Malcolm GladwellNickel and Dimed by Barbara EhrenreichBlink by Malcolm Gladwell
Sociology Books
183rd out of 379 books — 295 voters

More lists with this book...

Lena
Jan 26, 2012 Lena rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, business
I don't have much interest in "How to get rich" books, in part because they are so often written by people who a.) overestimate the skill and underestimate the luck that brought them their own success or b.) made more money writing books telling people how to get rich than they ever did at whatever business they were previously in.

I decided to give this one a try, however, since it was written by Felix Dennis, a man who had the foresight to purchase a major stake in the crack-like news periodic
Tim Pendry
Aug 16, 2008 Tim Pendry rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone young, losers who blame others, relatives of losers who blame others
This is a book that I am going to pass straight on to my seventeen year old son, not because of its insights into business (although it rings true on that account) but because of its insights into human nature and into the world 'out there' that he is going to have to negotiate in the coming years.

Like all sons, he won't listen to his Dad (and no real reason why he should) but he might listen to 'uncle' Felix.

Why should he? Because Felix Dennis is going to stop him wasting a lot of time believ
Vaishali Joglekar
Jan 06, 2016 Vaishali Joglekar rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-improvement
Possibly one of the most important books I've ever read, from the late founder of Dennis Publishing. His personal fortune was estimated at 600 million.
A very brass tacks -sometimes vulgar - testimony on how he amassed his wealth.
The following notes still omit a tremendous amount of useful info, so please read the book ! :)

NOTES :
----------------------
The term "rich" starts at a total asset value of $22-$60 million. This is also known as "the lesser rich".

You will never get rich if you:
——————————
Bill
Aug 14, 2010 Bill rated it really liked it
While it sounds like one of those "get rich quick" books that often make it to the top of bestseller lists, "How to Get Rich" by Felix Dennis is the real thing.

Dennis is a British multi-millionaire AND poet. The combination makes for intriguing reading.

Most importantly, he doesn't cut corners or beat around the bush. He tells the reader what it really takes. And, for most people, the commitment, sacrifice and pure energy required to become rich will simply be too much.

But, if you're interested i
Mohammad
Mar 08, 2016 Mohammad rated it it was amazing
How to get rich
I listened to the audio version. It had a British accent. Fun to listen to. I don’t know if the narrator and the author was the same or not.
It starts with personal characteristics necessary for getting rich; Pig-headed determination, stamina, boldness, self-belief, persistence, and of course, execution.
Then it shows you how to get capital, upsides and downsides of every method, errors entrepreneurs usually make, cash flow, how to negotiate, importance of ownership, delegation, inc
Jim
Mar 16, 2013 Jim rated it it was amazing
It takes the immortal words of C Montgomery Burns of The Simpsons to summarise this book: "Family, religion, friends.. these are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business." Felix Dennis is an eccentric, a character, a legend in his own wine-fueled lunchtime, and let's be thankful for it. In terms of having a voice, this book is one of the most forceful, and enjoyable books I've read for a long time. Felix harangues you from almost every page. So you want to be rich? Okay. ...more
Nicholas
Oct 22, 2010 Nicholas rated it it was amazing
Angelo Karageorgos
Oct 15, 2014 Angelo Karageorgos rated it it was amazing
This is a really excellent book from a person that has achieved everything he claims. He doesn't sell cheap advice or unrealistic expectations. That's the most important thing.

After Dennis acquired a lot of money through the magazine business only then was able to calmly focus on the love of his life, poetry. And this is a lesson to all of us or to all those who read "self-development" advice that just says do what you love and will make you rich... Only a few people have the luck(?) to have suc
Neil Sharma
Apr 07, 2016 Neil Sharma rated it it was amazing
The title sounds like it was conceived by a snake oil salesman who wrote a self-help book. I almost skipped this one, but the good reviews got the better of me. I'm glad I read it, though I think a better name is 'Entrepreneur's Manifesto'.

This book is anything from a self-help book -- Felix's advice often warns people of the perils entailed from the desire to be ostentatiously rich, and reiterates that reading this book will not make you any money.

Rather, it is about a rich, retired media mogul
Brandon Seevers
Feb 23, 2012 Brandon Seevers rated it liked it
Just like the other reviews have stated, this book doesn't have some swift Ponzi scheme to create wealth. It's more like a swift kick in the ass to create motivation. Mr. Dennis didn't write this for a paycheck (he receives plenty of those, estimate net worth, 1.5 Billion); he's able to be highly blunt and he's not selling you anything. Much of what he speaks may come off as common knowledge, it just sounds considerably more legitimate coming from a man who has built an empire from basically scr ...more
Mohamed Embaby
Sep 09, 2011 Mohamed Embaby rated it really liked it
كتاب رائع فى ريادة الاعمال
هذا الكتاب يحكى كيف صنع اغنى ناشر مجلات بانجلترا وواحدا من أصحاب المشاريع عبر القارية نفسه من البداية المعدمة الى ان اصبح ما اصبح عليه، يتكلم فليكس دنيس فى هذا الكتاب عن نجاحه وفشله واسرار صناعته للثروة وبأخطائه فى رحلة صعوده لدنيا المال والاعمال
ليس هذا الكتاب وصفة سحرية ولن يرشدك إلى السعادة التى لا يشتريها المال ولن يجعل منك إنسانا أفضل.. فهذا امر آخر. فليكس يخبرك بأنه يتطلب منك طريق الثراء ان تكون ضاريا متبلدا مثابرا مستقيما في جميع تعاملاتك.. يتطلب منك التحرر من ك
Mary Mimouna
Jun 19, 2016 Mary Mimouna rated it it was amazing
I read this book some time ago and still have it as a permanent addition to my bookshelf.

I especially recall two points from the book that I want to share with other readers.

Dennis was broke and unemployed and ended up becoming a successful self-made millionaire. His book is the fascinating and hopeful story of how he did it, through TAKING ACTION, rather than just dreaming and talking.

The other really useful thing is that he discusses how and why one passes through the stage of reckless hedon
Richard
Dec 18, 2014 Richard rated it it was ok
Shelves: given-up-reading
I started off enjoying this book. It's definitely not a "self development" book, and neither is it a biography either - although it could be argued it contains elements of both.

The late Mr. Dennis has a very open and honest approach to describing his life and his fortunes (both good and bad) and this book weaves lessons on how to get rich with stories from Dennis' own life (which offer context and background) as well as a lot of poetry (one of Dennis' passions).

Unfortunately, after a few chapter
Mihai Pintilie
How to get rich by Felix Dennis - From The Vault

1. Nothing is infallable
Don't be too optimistic or too pessimistic, be a 7

Mark Cuban said he'll work like hell 2 years so he can party afterwards.. And he formed amazing habits after that

2. Chunking starting small

3. You can't do it alone:
Identify people
Attract
Hire, do the work
Nurture, reward
Protect, when you're with me it works
Fire

How many people stayed the same in your opinion as the first time you saw them

How many people that you identified were
Joanna
Nov 07, 2014 Joanna rated it liked it
A how-to-get-rich book written by a millionaire poet. Interesting stuff.

"Rich enough to live where you want, to go where you want, to do what you want, to meet who you want. Rich enough to buy the only two things apart from health and love worth fussing about in life. Time. And the option of not having to be in any particular place on any particular day doing any particular thing in order to pay the rent or the mortgage."

"Team spirit is for losers, financially speaking. It's the glue that binds
Heidi
Dec 18, 2009 Heidi rated it it was amazing
This is a fun book, quite readable, by a very funny man. I will most likely not follow his path or patterns, as we are very different temperaments. but he gives some really good advice on attaining and keeping wealth. Through many lessons he had to learn himself.
Oli
Mar 03, 2016 Oli rated it really liked it
Decided to read this because I'd heard that it was pretty 'real' and, seeing as though my last book is about 'realness', I thought I'd better check it out.

'Happy' to say that there's a lot of overlap between some of the lessons I've learned in my own life so far and some of the things that Dennis has to say after actually 'making it'. Ultimately, it all boils down to 'personal responsibility' and acknowledging that action is the only real cure for anything. The hard part is clearing the polluti
Andreas Michaelides
I remember distinctly that one of the first things he says in his book is that there is no recipe for getting rich, a nice autobiography of the writers; I love the fact that he started his business publishing a magazine about Bruce lee and he was the first to cover the events from his death.
A very down to earth informative book that shows in real time what you need to do to get rich, but there are no guaranties, what I understood in order to get rich is to take risks and to take risks you need t
Lori Grant
A must-read book on entrepreneurial success stories for the knowledge worker or aspiring entrepreneur.
Brandon Bellinghausen
Mar 05, 2016 Brandon Bellinghausen rated it really liked it
Much, much better than I was expecting it to be.

Dennis writes honestly and bluntly communicates that there are many reasons why certain people will not get rich. He does not paint the blithe and naive picture that most get-rich-quick or self-help authors do (i.e. "If you follow these 7 steps..."), but rather honestly walks through the sacrifices and skills involved in the pursuit of wealth.

I have concluded that I will never be rich because of what I value and what I would like to achieve with
Fotis Chatzinicolaou
Αν υπάρχει κάτι που λατρεύω σε βιβλία επιχειρηματικότητας είναι να διαβάζω το τι έχουν καταφέρει άνθρωποι που έγιναν πλούσιοι ΠΡΙΝ βγάλουν ένα βιβλίο επιχειρηματικότητας και όχι ΑΦΟΤΟΥ το βγάλουν.

Στο How to Get Rich, ο Felix Dennis μας λέει πως έγινε πλούσιος πριν το βιβλίο.

Απλό ανάγνωσμα σχετικά, αρκετές ιστορίες από την ζωή του Felix και για τις δύσκολες αποφάσεις που έπρεπε να πάρει για να γίνει εκατομμυριούχος. Μέσα στο βιβλίο υπάρχουν κάποια tips τα οποία θα πρέπει να έχεις κάποια ιδέα περ
Achtung Englander
Feb 01, 2016 Achtung Englander rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
It is odd to read a book whose author died half way through reading the book. The words in the book take on a magical effect from "this guy has a point" to "this guy had a point". Weird.

The book itself is excellent. A totally no bullshit advice on the sort of character you need to become to get rich. Most book of this kind all have a common message "do not be scared to go for it". This one is more honest in that Dennis says to become really rich you have to think like a predator. The business (
Adam
Apr 30, 2014 Adam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm almost done with this book. Very well written by the owner of Maxim, Blender, PC World, MicroWarehouse, etc. etc. This guy is a down to earth guy who will tell you straight in your face how the game of "getting rich" works which is what makes reading this book really enjoyable. I first learned about this person when I watched his TED appearance and before reading this book I encourage watching the video first: http://www.ted.com/talks/publisher_fe...
Saša Tomislav
Oct 22, 2012 Saša Tomislav rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biz
As Felix Dennis self-described "anti self-help book", this gem deals with the real side of getting rich.
The gritty, no-nonsense, get-it-done side of business. It's ruthless and sincere. He doesn't shy away from describing his own mistakes, and he urges the reader to review his own motivations and aspirations. It's not enough to want to get rich, it's not enough to have a desire. A drive, a compulsion is crucial. Stamina is crucial. Growing a thick skin is important.

The book acknowledges the fact
Bill Harrison
Dec 23, 2009 Bill Harrison rated it liked it
Recommends it for: The young and ambitious. Those who appreciate British humor.
Recommended to Bill by: Andrew Sheppard
This is not the type of book that I typically like and had it not been highly recommended by my good friend Shep, I would not have read it. Does the world really need another "Here's how I got rich and how you can to" book with all the attendant back-patting and self worship of the egocentric author? But this book has an interesting twist and I think it is a very worthwhile read. The author did make a large fortune by founding a publishing empire but his story is more of a cautionary tale than a ...more
Nic Brisbourne
Sep 12, 2011 Nic Brisbourne rated it really liked it
Felix Dennis gets across some important messages using humorous and well crafted prose. Overall, a very enjoyable book for anyone interested in the character traits of successful entrepreneurs (defined as those acquiring 15m or more).

Felix's primary interest is in giving advice to those who would be rich, and his main piece of advice is not to embark on the journey of getting rich unless you really, really want to be rich. As Fhe sees it, and I agree, trying and failing is far worse than not try
Waseem
Dec 17, 2014 Waseem rated it liked it
I couldn't continue to ignore this book as it kept coming up in my life as recommendations ... Similar books I've purchased via amazon and glowing reviews .. So I finally got round to reading it . And to be honest I don't see what the big fuss is about .. Granted it is a ' good book' so in a way I dnt have a lot complain about .. Yet I think am bring abit harsh - because I was expecting so much from it...

If you remotely liked this book I HIGHLY recommend and ( prefer ) a similar straight talking
Dawn Buffham-Bates
Jun 16, 2009 Dawn Buffham-Bates rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone thinking of becoming a SMEM
Loved it! for the reasons that it was direct, no nonsense and highlighted a lot of mistakes made by people running businesses - myself included. I spotted quite a few of the mistakes I have made in business - some I realised and corrected, some I was still unaware of.

I found the whole thing about becoming insanely rich quite confronting. Yes I want a nice life and do not wish to worry about spending, I want to know that I do not have to check my bank account before making changes to my property
Thomas Cooper
Mar 08, 2016 Thomas Cooper rated it it was amazing
The author (sadly departed) is as brash as the title, however don't be put off thinking that this is some self help idiots that make their money from selling $5,000 weekend conferences.

For me, getting rich is a secondary result of building a company who's products or services improve societies lot. This book kicks anyone eager to start such a company up the arse - hard. Just get a discrete cover or the ebook version when sat reading it on the beach!
Neil Soni
Jan 31, 2015 Neil Soni rated it it was amazing
Didn't realize the book's title would be somewhat ironic - or how self-deprecating Felix Dennis is. One of the best/most entertaining business books I've read. Felix Dennis keeps it real. Shouldn't have expected anything less from a guy who became a world class poet after getting rich and donated a huge percentage of his fortune DURING his lifetime (as opposed to billionaires who donate it after they die). Read this.
How to get Rich - Felix Dennis 1 12 Apr 23, 2013 07:35AM
  • The Entrepreneur's Guide to Business Law
  • Transparency: How Leaders Create a Culture of Candor
  • Against the Odds: An Autobiography
  • Lucky or Smart?: Secrets to an Entrepreneurial Life
  • Don't Send a Resume: And Other Contrarian Rules to Help Land a Great Job
  • Co-Opetition
  • The Millionaire Fastlane: Crack the Code to Wealth and Live Rich for a Lifetime!
  • Peak: How Great Companies Get Their Mojo from Maslow
  • Ahead of the Curve: Two Years at Harvard Business School
  • Seven Years to Seven Figures: The Fast-Track Plan to Becoming a Millionaire
  • Start Small, Stay Small: A Developer's Guide to Launching a Startup
  • The Ten Roads to Riches: The Ways the Wealthy Got There (and How You Can Too!)
  • Reality Check: The Irreverent Guide to Outsmarting, Outmanaging, and Outmarketing Your Competit ion
  • Warren Buffett Speaks: Wit and Wisdom from the World's Greatest Investor
  • The First Billion Is the Hardest: How Believing It's Still Early in the Game Can Lead to Life's Greatest Comebacks
  • Unleashing the Killer App: Digital Strategies for Market Dominance
  • Billion-Dollar Lessons: What You Can Learn from the Most Inexcusable Business Failures of the Last 25 Years
Felix Dennis (born 1947 in Kingston-upon-Thames, United Kingdom) was a British magazine publisher and philanthropist. His privately owned company, Dennis Publishing, pioneered computer and hobbyist magazine publishing in the United Kingdom. In more recent times the company has added lifestyle titles such as its flagship brand The Week, which is published in Britain, the United States and Australia ...more
More about Felix Dennis...

“When you come across real talent, it is sometimes worth allowing them to create the structure in which they choose to labor. In nine cases out of ten, by inviting them to take responsibility and control for a new venture, you will motivate them to do great things.” 6 likes
“Talent is indispensable, although it is 'always' replaceable. Just remember the simple rules concerning talent:
Identify It,
Hire It,
Nurture It,
Reward It,
Protect It.
And when the time comes, Fire It.”
5 likes