Start by marking “The Country Cousin” as Want to Read:
The Country Cousin

The Country Cousin

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  12 ratings  ·  5 reviews
A high school graduate, undecided about her future, finds the three summer months spent working in her cousin's dress shop a decisive element in choosing a career.
Hardcover
Published 1967 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about The Country Cousin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Country Cousin

Gabrielle
I've owned this book for years and never read it because I thought it was about a shy country cousin who went to live with her city cousins who bullied her. It turns out that that is not what the book is about! Mindy's struggles to figure out who she is and what she wants out of life will ring true with readers today. Although readers today won't have the luxury of deciding to apply to college in the summer right before college. I always find the descriptions of clothes to be fascinating.

To any
CLM
I was always a big Betty Cavanna fan, and I enjoyed the descriptions of the clothes at the store in this book, particularly one scene where the heroine had to decide whether to buy a sharp white bathing suit to show off her tan.
Carolynne
Country girl Mindy, graduated from high school with no clear direction for her future, goes to work at The Country Cousin, a trendy dress shop run by her capable, widowed cousin Alix. She learns a lot about herself and her capabilities, and decides to try to learn fashion design once she has received a little positive feedbadk about her own sewing and design. She even learns to evaluate the boys she meets more realistically, and finds romance with pal Dana, who is studying in Paris when Alix and ...more
Kim
One of my all time favorites. Makes me want to be on the Main Line. mindy is such a great heroine.
Betsy
This book always makes me crave homemade cookies. From a cookie jar.
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Grettel
Grettel marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2013
Erica
Erica added it
Sep 11, 2012
Tracy Hatch
Tracy Hatch marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2012
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2012
Mira
Mira marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2012
Bekah Reed
Bekah Reed marked it as to-read
May 27, 2012
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 17, 2011
Kat
Kat added it
Mar 01, 2011
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2009
Lori
Lori added it
Jun 17, 2009
Bron Gibson
Bron Gibson marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2009
Robin
Robin added it
Oct 14, 2008
American juvenile author (full name: Elizabeth Allen) Betty Cavanna suffered from a crippling disease, infantile paralysis, as a child, which she eventually overcame with treatment and exercise. During her convalescence, attentive adults read to her until she was old enough to read to herself, beginning a long love affair with books.

Cavanna majored in journalism at the New Jersey College for Women
More about Betty Cavanna...
Going On Sixteen Paintbox Summer Ruffles And Drums The Boy Next Door Angel on Skis