Start by marking “Nate the Great and the Big Sniff” as Want to Read:
Nate the Great and the Big Sniff

Nate the Great and the Big Sniff (Nate the Great #18)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  458 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Beginning readers are introduced to the detective mystery genre in these chapter books. Perfect for the Common Core, kids can problem-solve with Nate, using logical thinking to solve mysteries!

Nate the Great solves crimes with his dog, Sludge. But this time, Sludge can’t help. Sludge is lost! Nate looks high and low. But every clue leads to a dead end until . . . Nate real
Published October 28th 2009 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Nate the Great and the Big Sniff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nate the Great and the Big Sniff

This book is a well-balanced junior mystery tale that should appeal to readers of all ages. From very early grade school I have been a fan of Nate the Great as a detective, and I think that his mysterious lead very nicely into Donald J. Sobol's Encyclopedia Brown volumes for older kids. Marjorie Weinman Sharmat and her group of associates do a very good job with the Nate the Great books, and I would certainly reccomend them.
Additionally, these volumes do well to encourage and enhance lateral t
A good short chapter mystery book for upper elementary. Lots of scenery and information to take in. Very good illustrations.
Sludge was lost. Nate had to find him. He was in the cafeteria. It was on of Nates favorite places.
I think that Nate the great should have left Sludge home because he was buying him a gift. When you buy someone a gift you want to suprise them. Nate was not thinking when he took Sludge with him because when it rain people and animals look for a place to go into. When Nate seen that the line was to long in the store he should have put the bowl down and left maybe Sludge would have still been waiting for him. Nate was sad that he could not find his dog but Sludge was the detective that left his ...more
Michelle. D.
Nate the Great books aren't that great. I hated them when I was a kid, yet I would always read them.The endings of the books were always the same, they figured out what or who did it. And where are Nate's parents? They just let their son walk around everywhere and question people. That is very irresponsible of them. Nate the Great books always made me fall asleep and always wasted my time. I would not recommend this book to anyone, especially little kids. If kids want real mystery, they should r ...more
A fun story with independent, smart, and reliable child characters. The back of the book has good, non-fiction information related to the story. Statistics about found pets and the cost of keeping one are included along with sylish graphs, charts and true stories about lost pets and craft projects that celebrate pet ownership. I wish I had a dog to make a dinner placemat for! Really fun for beginning chapter book readers and all others who relish the idea that our dogs are more intelligent than ...more
Sep 15, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a classic "Nate the Great" mystery. It has Nate, his dog Sludge, Annie and her dog Fang, Rosamond and of course, pancakes. What more could you want? Our girls really enjoy these stories.

We've reread this story in a book with ISBN 0440415020 (ISBN13 9780440415022). This version has 32 additional pages of facts about pet ownership, jokes, crafts, and a true story about a lost and then found pet. It was a nice addition to the book.
Tammy  King Carlton
This is Rebekah's new interest - she loves how he calls himself "Nate the Great", and that he has a dog who helps him solve his cases, and of course, that he always eats pancakes when he needs to think. Those of you who know us know that Rebekah and I eat pancakes three to four times a week. It's just how my dad raised me.
This is part of a huge series of Nate the Great books, and all of them are awesome. My mom read these a lot to me when I was little, and I still read them now. Nate is the 11 year old version of Sam Spade, solving neighborhood cases with his dog Sludge, and eating pancakes whenever required.
Lisa Cohn
Michael, age 5, loves Nate the Great books, in part because he loves that these are detective stories. This is a special book because Nate's helper, Sludge the dog, gets lost. Watch Michael's review on YouTube here:
Nate the Great has a big problem--he's lost his dog, Sludge! Solving this mystery will be pretty tricky without his trusty sidekick Sludge at his side. Will Nate ever find his best pal in the huge department store?
Jan 10, 2009 Kate rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kate by: Read for Children's Literature portfolio
Shelves: 2007, age-middlegrade
Eight chapters tell the story of Nate the Great, a boy detective, searching for his dog Sludge, who has gotten lost in a department store. Nate follows clues and uses his knowledge of Sludge’s behaviors to find him.
A fun Nate the Great story as he sets out to solve another mystery. My daughter thought these stories were fine, though they were not her favorites.
Nate the Great and the Big Sniff
Sharmat, Marjorie Weinman
good early mystery for better
Nate loses Sludge in a department store.

Library copy.
Transitional chapter book about a spy who has lost his dog.
Transitional chapter book about a spy who has lost his dog.
Kristyna is currently reading it
Nov 17, 2015
Liz added it
Nov 08, 2015
  • The Missing Mummy (A to Z Mysteries, #13)
  • Big Nate: #1-2 Punch [2 Books in 1 Box]
  • Stanley in Space (Flat Stanley, #3)
  • Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Uranium Unicorns from Uranus (Ricky Ricotta, #7)
  • The Mystery of the Dinosaur Bones (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #3)
  • Minnie and Moo Go to the Moon (Minnie and Moo (DK Hardcover))
  • Danny and the Dinosaur Go to Camp
Marjorie Weinman Sharmat is an American children's writer. She has written more than 130 books for children and teens and her books have been translated into several languages. They have won awards including Book of the Year by the Library of Congress or have become selections by the Literary Guild.
More about Marjorie Weinman Sharmat...

Nate the Great (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Nate the Great
  • Nate the Great Goes Undercover
  • Nate The Great And The Lost List (Nate The Great)
  • Nate the Great and the Phony Clue