Start by marking “Nate the Great and the Big Sniff” as Want to Read:
Nate the Great and the Big Sniff

Nate the Great and the Big Sniff (Nate the Great #18)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  506 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Beginning readers are introduced to the detective mystery genre in these chapter books. Perfect for the Common Core, kids can problem-solve with Nate, using logical thinking to solve mysteries!

Nate the Great solves crimes with his dog, Sludge. But this time, Sludge can’t help. Sludge is lost! Nate looks high and low. But every clue leads to a dead end until . . . Nate real
Published October 28th 2009 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published 2001)

Nathan
Mar 13, 2009 Nathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
EVERYONE CALLS ME NATE BUT WHEN THEY READ THESE BOOKS THEY CALLED ME NATE THE GREAT
Josiah
May 06, 2009 Josiah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is a well-balanced junior mystery tale that should appeal to readers of all ages. From very early grade school I have been a fan of Nate the Great as a detective, and I think that his mysterious lead very nicely into Donald J. Sobol's Encyclopedia Brown volumes for older kids. Marjorie Weinman Sharmat and her group of associates do a very good job with the Nate the Great books, and I would certainly reccomend them.
Additionally, these volumes do well to encourage and enhance lateral t
Joseph
Sep 10, 2014 Joseph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good short chapter mystery book for upper elementary. Lots of scenery and information to take in. Very good illustrations.
Seth
Feb 21, 2014 Seth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: by-myself
Sludge was lost. Nate had to find him. He was in the cafeteria. It was on of Nates favorite places.
Kcrosland
I think that Nate the great should have left Sludge home because he was buying him a gift. When you buy someone a gift you want to suprise them. Nate was not thinking when he took Sludge with him because when it rain people and animals look for a place to go into. When Nate seen that the line was to long in the store he should have put the bowl down and left maybe Sludge would have still been waiting for him. Nate was sad that he could not find his dog but Sludge was the detective that left his ...more
Michelle. D.
Sep 04, 2010 Michelle. D. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: was-awful
Nate the Great books aren't that great. I hated them when I was a kid, yet I would always read them.The endings of the books were always the same, they figured out what or who did it. And where are Nate's parents? They just let their son walk around everywhere and question people. That is very irresponsible of them. Nate the Great books always made me fall asleep and always wasted my time. I would not recommend this book to anyone, especially little kids. If kids want real mystery, they should r ...more
Christina
Feb 10, 2011 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun story with independent, smart, and reliable child characters. The back of the book has good, non-fiction information related to the story. Statistics about found pets and the cost of keeping one are included along with sylish graphs, charts and true stories about lost pets and craft projects that celebrate pet ownership. I wish I had a dog to make a dinner placemat for! Really fun for beginning chapter book readers and all others who relish the idea that our dogs are more intelligent than ...more
Dolly
Sep 15, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a classic "Nate the Great" mystery. It has Nate, his dog Sludge, Annie and her dog Fang, Rosamond and of course, pancakes. What more could you want? Our girls really enjoy these stories.

We've reread this story in a book with ISBN 0440415020 (ISBN13 9780440415022). This version has 32 additional pages of facts about pet ownership, jokes, crafts, and a true story about a lost and then found pet. It was a nice addition to the book.
Tammy  King Carlton
This is Rebekah's new interest - she loves how he calls himself "Nate the Great", and that he has a dog who helps him solve his cases, and of course, that he always eats pancakes when he needs to think. Those of you who know us know that Rebekah and I eat pancakes three to four times a week. It's just how my dad raised me.
Rebecca
Mar 15, 2007 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is part of a huge series of Nate the Great books, and all of them are awesome. My mom read these a lot to me when I was little, and I still read them now. Nate is the 11 year old version of Sam Spade, solving neighborhood cases with his dog Sludge, and eating pancakes whenever required.
Lisa Cohn
Oct 25, 2013 Lisa Cohn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michael, age 5, loves Nate the Great books, in part because he loves that these are detective stories. This is a special book because Nate's helper, Sludge the dog, gets lost. Watch Michael's review on YouTube here:
Kim
Nate the Great has a big problem--he's lost his dog, Sludge! Solving this mystery will be pretty tricky without his trusty sidekick Sludge at his side. Will Nate ever find his best pal in the huge department store?
Kate
Jan 10, 2009 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kate by: Read for Children's Literature portfolio
Shelves: 2007, age-middlegrade
Eight chapters tell the story of Nate the Great, a boy detective, searching for his dog Sludge, who has gotten lost in a department store. Nate follows clues and uses his knowledge of Sludge’s behaviors to find him.
Sheila
Sep 18, 2011 Sheila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
A fun Nate the Great story as he sets out to solve another mystery. My daughter thought these stories were fine, though they were not her favorites.
Theresa
Apr 06, 2015 Theresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
Nate the Great and the Big Sniff
Sharmat, Marjorie Weinman
good early mystery for better
Kaethe
Nate loses Sludge in a department store.

Library copy.
Becky
Transitional chapter book about a spy who has lost his dog.
Becky
Transitional chapter book about a spy who has lost his dog.
Claire N
Claire N marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Connor
Connor marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
C Reid
C Reid added it
Jul 24, 2016
LeLu
LeLu rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Mari-Lyn Snow
Mari-Lyn Snow rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Owen Lang
Owen Lang rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
Aiyah
Aiyah added it
Jul 13, 2016
Song
Song rated it it was ok
Jul 16, 2016
Swapnil Mehta
Swapnil Mehta rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Keisha Willard
Keisha Willard rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2016
avrianna
avrianna marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
  • Big Nate: #1-2 Punch [2 Books in 1 Box]
  • Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Mutant Mosquitoes from Mercury (Ricky Ricotta, #2)
  • Happy Birthday, Danny and the Dinosaur!
  • The Mystery of the Dinosaur Bones (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #3)
  • The Missing Mummy (A to Z Mysteries, #13)
  • Minnie and Moo Go to the Moon (Minnie and Moo (DK Hardcover))
  • Henry and Mudge and the Wild Wind (Henry and Mudge, #12)
  • The Class Election from the Black Lagoon
  • The New Padawan
  • Get Well, Good Knight
  • The Berenstain Bears' Bedtime Battle
  • Franklin's Bad Day
  • Stanley in Space (Flat Stanley, #3)
  • Fancy Nancy: Nancy Clancy Sees the Future
Marjorie Weinman Sharmat is an American children's writer. She has written more than 130 books for children and teens and her books have been translated into several languages. They have won awards including Book of the Year by the Library of Congress or have become selections by the Literary Guild.
More about Marjorie Weinman Sharmat...

Nate the Great (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Nate the Great
  • Nate the Great Goes Undercover
  • Nate The Great And The Lost List (Nate The Great)
  • Nate the Great and the Phony Clue