Start by marking “The House of Tudor” as Want to Read:
The House of Tudor

The House of Tudor

Apersonal rather than political history examining the origins of the family and interweaving the lives of the five Tudor monarchs with lesser-known branches of the tree

The Tudors ruled England for little more than a century, but no other dynasty has so impressed itself on the popularconsciousness. This history examines the origins of this astonishing family that appeared o
Published April 1st 2011 by The History Press (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The House of Tudor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House of Tudor

Linda
Oct 12, 2009 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
With all the historical fiction I've been reading of the Tudor era, I thought it might be worthwhile to read some nonfiction. This book is a fairly readable though not very in depth account of how the Tudors came to power through the last Tudor ruler, Elizabeth.

Because it compresses over a century of events into a few hundred pages it is necessarily brief about the particulars. In general, the author paints a fairly kind portrait of the Tudors though she does tend to mention their less than idea
Lucy
Mar 02, 2015 Lucy rated it really liked it
A very readable account of several reigns - obviously in 300 pages to cover all these monarchs, much has to be compressed and omitted, but she writes clearly and well without the urge that present-day historians succumb to to speculate - no 'he would have' or 'she must have thought' here, thankfully. She realises that the facts are dramatic enough without overwriting. Yes, I'm concurrently reading Dan Jones's hysterical 'Plantagenets'.....
Rachel
Nov 04, 2010 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
to paraphrase Elizabeth I " it is marvellous in mine eyes" ..loved the book...love the Tudors
Matt
Oct 23, 2016 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
5 stars for the subject matter and the contents but 3 stars for reading enjoyability, so average 4 stars for House of Tudor by Alison Plowden.

First of all, I am Episcopalian, so in my opinion, this book is kind of required reading for anyone wanting to learn about how the Anglican Church was formed. Everyone knows it all started with Henry VIII wanting to get a divorce from his first wife, Catherine of Aragon, but there was much more than that going on than just Henry not getting his way with t
Hessah
Jan 10, 2012 Hessah rated it liked it
An easy read and a good introduction to the Tudors rise to power. The unfortunate dependance of Screen ( Tv/ Movie ) writers on Fiction novels when they prepare for True events is what I hate the most when I sit to watch such movie. Altering Historical events and elating the statues of some characters, where you sometimes question the character authenticity are such examples of their wrongdoing.

The Tudors History is vast and full of events that can not be explained and exposed in 300+ pages. It
Helene Harrison
Review? - A little disappointing, as it was lacking in places with some of the key figures and executions. Not much about the rebellion by the Earl of Essex in 1603, or about the execution of the Duke of Buckingham in 1521. Nevertheless, a good overview of the period, particularly for someone with little knowledge of the wider context, chronology and events. Just not as detailed as some other histories I have read, notably Tudor: The Family Story by Leanda de Lisle.

General Subject/s? - Tudors /
Charli
Apr 01, 2014 Charli rated it really liked it
A great overview of the Tudor monarchs and the main political players of the time - a fantastic bridge into the subject for anyone that is interested in history. However, when covering such a large time period, it of course leads to loss of detail of key events.

A great introduction to Tudor history - guaranteed to get you intrigued to find out more! :)
Heathery
Aug 17, 2015 Heathery rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
This is a great basic rundown of the Tudor dynasty, including the events leading up to and immediately after. It's pretty detailed. It can read like a textbook at times, but it is interesting. It definitely shows how messed up this family was at times! I especially enjoyed looking through the illustrations and was pleasantly surprised to see so many included!
Sydney Schoenhals
Nov 23, 2015 Sydney Schoenhals rated it liked it
I enjoyed learning about Tudor history, because it's something I only know bits and pieces of. This book, however a bit tough to get through because it was so dry. It was so full of every name remotely related to the Tudors, to the point of almost being overwhelming. I learned a lot, but next time I'll go with a more engaging book.
Mikeh5972
Jun 17, 2016 Mikeh5972 rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable read which gives a very good overview of the Tudors. it avoids getting bigged down by too much detail but also skips over some quite prominent events of the dynasty. In the space of 300 pages this counts as a most informative read.
Evangeline Ravencraft
Jun 10, 2012 Evangeline Ravencraft rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I really liked this book, it is not an exhaustive history but has all of the pertinent information and is written in a manner that is more story-like than just dry facts which makes it enjoyable to read.
Emma Glaisher
Jan 23, 2011 Emma Glaisher rated it liked it
Fascinating stuff, padding out my meagre knowledge derived from historical novels. Rather rushed through Elizabeth's reign though. Very readable and enjoyable.
Grace Beagan
Grace Beagan rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2014
Jo
Jo rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2013
Rose fleming
Rose fleming rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2011
Soph
Soph rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2014
Kenny
Kenny rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2016
Patricia Carter
Patricia Carter rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2015
Terrie Jackson
Terrie Jackson rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2011
Susan Miller
Susan Miller rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2015
Ladyhawke
Ladyhawke rated it liked it
May 04, 2015
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2014
Rachael McDiarmid
Rachael McDiarmid rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2011
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2013
Andrea Engle
Andrea Engle rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2014
Crista*rose
Crista*rose rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2008
Rachel Green
Rachel Green rated it really liked it
May 03, 2014
Bekki Driscoll
Bekki Driscoll rated it really liked it
May 04, 2014
Jennifer Gray atwood
Jennifer Gray atwood rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2014
Deedee
Deedee rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Bessie Blount: Mistress to Henry VIII
  • The Last White Rose: Dynasty, Rebellion and Treason. The Secret Wars against the Tudors
  • The Tudor Age
  • Catherine Howard: The Queen Whose Adulteries Made a Fool of Henry VIII
  • Young Henry: The Rise of Henry VIII
  • In the Lion's Court: Power, Ambition, and Sudden Death in the Reign of Henry VIII
  • Elizabeth and Essex
  • The Boleyns: The Rise & Fall of a Tudor Family
  • Henry VIII
  • The Pirate Queen: Queen Elizabeth I, Her Pirate Adventurers, and the Dawn of Empire
  • Katherine Howard
  • 1536: The Year That Changed Henry VIII
  • Death And The Virgin: Elizabeth, Dudley and the Mysterious Fate of Amy Robsart
  • Queens of England