Start by marking “Shot on Location (Key West, #9)” as Want to Read:
Shot on Location (Key West, #9)

Shot on Location (Key West #9)

Take three speedboats, a disgruntled ghostwriter, and a hit TV show starring a gorgeous but impossible diva and created by a driven genius who may be losing his marbles. Add a fearless and gleefully profane stuntwoman, an ancient Mafioso with a chihuahua, and a revenge-crazed blonde in gladiator sandals. Stir in a thug with a heart of gold and an inveterate slacker who ...more
Published August 19th 2013 by SKLA

To ask other readers questions about Shot on Location, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shot on Location

D.R.
Sep 18, 2013 D.R. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's great that Shames is back writing about Key West and some of the wacky characters who inhabited his earlier comedy/mysteries set in that unique little town. Highly recommended. If you like Hiassen and that sort of thing, don't miss it.
Tim
Apr 20, 2015 Tim rated it really liked it
Good plots, interesting and well written. 9 of 10 stars
Stephen Campbell
Shot on Location brings back some wonderful Laurence Shames characters from past books, but you don't need to have read them to appreciate this witty tale.

The story is about a ghostwriter, Jake Benson, who takes a job writing a tie-in book for a television show that's being filmed in Key West. He has no interest real interest in writing the book, but he does want to get out of New York in January, so he hops on a plane and the fun begins.

The cast of characters includes, the ghostwriter, a maniac
Jeff
Sep 10, 2013 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally. I have waited and hoped for years for this book. Laurence Shames wrote some of the funniest books i've ever read. He wrote them consistently and they were all great. Then he stopped. Finally he's back.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was funny, it was set in Key West, it brought back characters from previous books. What more could I have asked for?
This book is a funny mystery with a lot of heart. It tells the story of a grumpy ghost writer hired to pen a tie in novel to a hit tv show
Kathie
Feb 24, 2014 Kathie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable story of a writer hired to write a book to accompany a popular television show. He goes to Key West, the location where the televisiion show is filmed. The female star is difficult. The star's stunt woman/double is anxious for the chance to take over the leading role. The stunt woman has an on-again-off-again relationship with a thug with a sensitive side. Mix in an elderly, retired Mafia fellow and some other crazy characters who may want the television star dead and you have ...more
Thomas Fitzsimmons
A lethal, beautiful stalker. Mobsters, both active and "retired." A Hollywood diva. A manic producer. A ghost writer searching for meaning in his life. Throw in a believable cast of supporting characters. Although a stand alone mystery, "Shot on Location" is the perfect continuation of the author's Key West mystery series--I felt like I was spending time with old friends. Once again the story is so tight, the prose so inspired, that I intend to re-read this book again and again. Highly ...more
Lee Lipps
Nov 10, 2013 Lee Lipps rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laurence Shames is one of the lesser known south Florida authors and one of the best. It's sorta a sequel to his very first novel, Florida Straits and brings back Bert the Shirt and his chihuahua, an aging, retired mafioso who is one of Shames most beloved characters (Bert, not the pooch). Shames is wryly humorous in all his novels and has very interesting characters. Moreover, I'll read just about any novel set in the Florida Keys. I've always looked forward to a new Shames book.
Paul O'Grady
Jun 27, 2016 Paul O'Grady rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Shot on Location is a fun read. Like most of Shames's work, this book is not intended to challenge the reader. Instead, it is the equivalent of a fun long weekend in Key West -- interesting characters, some wacky hi-jinks and a nice mystery story. Take this book to the beach with you and enjoy the ride.
Jim
Jan 18, 2014 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun romp for fans of Shames' Key West series. If you haven't read some of the earlier books, this installment may not appeal to you. Lots of plot twists and characters not all of which are fleshed out fully. Definitely a "fan's" book.
Paul
Dec 27, 2013 Paul rated it really liked it
It's great to have Laurence Shames back with another Key West mystery with regulars Joey and Bert the Shirt. Funny stuff, and so well written you'll keep interrupting your friends with, "Hey, listen to this!" I'm ready for the next one.
Linda
Jun 29, 2014 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted a quick read, something that wouldn't make me think too much, and this book was perfect. It's a whodunit about a man writing a book about a TV show that takes place in Key West. I love Key West, and I loved all the references to the places there.
Paul
Jan 05, 2014 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laurence Shames is back with his Key West Series, and thank god he is. This is as good as any of the others in the series and a fantastic way. To start a very cold 2014. I think it is time to re-read the series.
Sara
Feb 17, 2014 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Laurence Shames book that I have read. I enjoyed the plot and the fact that it was a fast read. However, this was billed Asa Floridian comic thriller and I don't think it's that funny.
Christina Correa
Feb 10, 2014 Christina Correa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was pretty excellent. My impression is that it's a quickie, even pulp, novel, written by a someone of extraordinary talent, who should be doing so much more with himself.
Craig Brown
Fun book to read. This book would make for a pretty good made for TV movie. It was fun, had some good scenes and characters. I enjoyed the read. Quick read.
Wanda
Nov 25, 2013 Wanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun. Read the previous books from this author and it was good to see what happened to some of the characters from years past.
Jeff
Nov 07, 2015 Jeff rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
One more Wacky Florida Book to finish out the summer. Well, I'm back to my old slow reading pace. Took me about 6 weeks t finish this.
Joe Faust
One of those goofy, Hiaasenesque novels filled with so many quirky characters that they all get in each other's way.
Jo
Apr 22, 2014 Jo rated it really liked it
Entertaining

This author's style is reminiscent of Dashiell Hammet, though his story and characters are more modern. I enjoyed this book and plan to read more of Laurence Shames.
Mark Vargo
Not his best, but solid...leaves Shames near the top of my beach reads.
Ron
Ron rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2014
GumInMyHair
GumInMyHair rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2015
Nick Miller
Nick Miller rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Beth Pease
Beth Pease rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2016
Brian Kennedy
Brian Kennedy rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2015
Terri Albritton
Terri Albritton rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2014
Monika Schmitt
Monika Schmitt rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2015
Bryan Smith
Bryan Smith rated it really liked it
May 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Air Dance Iguana
  • The Road to Key West
  • Going Dark (Thorn, #13)
  • The Storm Killer
  • Death in Four Courses (Key West Food Critic Mystery, #2)
  • Seeing Trouble (Deadwood Shorts, #1)
  • Key West, Tequila, a Pinch of Salt and a Quirky Slice of America
  • Getting Old Can Kill You (Gladdy Gold, #7)
  • Full of Beans
  • Mystery Spring Fling
  • Trap Line
  • The Cat Sitter's Whiskers (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #10)
  • Final Mercy
Laurence Shames has been a New York City taxi driver, lounge singer, furniture mover, lifeguard, dishwasher, gym teacher, and shoe salesman. Having failed to distinguish himself in any of those professions, he turned to writing full-time in 1976 and has not done an honest day’s work since.

His basic laziness notwithstanding, Shames has published twenty books and hundreds of magazine articles and es
More about Laurence Shames...

Key West (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Florida Straits (Key West, #1)
  • Scavenger Reef (Key West, #2)
  • Sunburn (Key West, #3)
  • Tropical Depression (Key West, #4)
  • Virgin Heat (Key West, #5)
  • Mangrove Squeeze (Key West, #6)
  • Welcome to Paradise (Key West, #7)
  • The Naked Detective (Key West, #8)
  • Tropical Swap (Key West, #10)
  • Chickens (Key West, #10.5)