Start by marking “Until I Saw Your Smile” as Want to Read:
Until I Saw Your Smile

Until I Saw Your Smile

At Smith's Sweet Treats and Coffee, you'll find Brooklyn's best house blend and the freshest homemade pastries. It's more than a business to owner Angela Smith. It's her home and her refuge--one she stands to lose thanks to her gouging landlord. Then a new regular offers to cover her rent increase if Angela lets him meet his clients there. If Matthew McConnell weren't such ...more
Published May 27th 2014 by Kensington (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Until I Saw Your Smile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Until I Saw Your Smile

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
I'm officially in love with this book! It was a great way to break a rather long interracial romance fast. JJ Murray has managed to take an book about ordinary people and make it an extraordinarily romantic and delectable read. It has a Lad Lit feel that I rather liked, despite the fact I'm not a fan of either Lad Lit or Chick Lit. Highly recommend it.

Reviewed for Affaire de Coeur Magazine for the June 2014 issue. http://affairedecoeur.com.
Mary Gramlich
May 26, 2014 Mary Gramlich rated it it was amazing
Matthew McConnell was a man that everyone thought had it all. A stellar legal career, the best money could buy in fashion, a revolving door of women always anxious to please, and friends that never failed to let him down. The problem with all of this for Matthew was the way he got the power and fame was by giving up any ethical behavior he may have possessed but when you have a conscious, at some point you are going to have to decide what matters most – doing the money thing or the right thing.

A
Cassandra
Apr 24, 2014 Cassandra rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley and am providing an honest review.

I had mixed feelings based on where I was in the book. First, I really liked Until I Saw Your Smile. It was funny and I really enjoyed the developing relationship. Then, things took a turn for the serious and started feeling like a different book. Separately, they could have both been good books, but I have a hard time with my comedies turning into dramas.

Matthew was funny and it was interesting to read about his mis
Reading in Black & White
I have slowly become a fan of books told from the male’s POV so I thought I would enjoy this book. It has that plus a beautiful cover and it is about an interracial couple which I was happy to see. And, as added bonus is that a pastry shop is the central location and who doesn’t love a book that includes tasty goodies???

Until I Saw Your Smile felt like it was two different books. Part of it was quite funny and was well on its way to becoming a cute romance novel. And, then without warning it too
Anino
May 03, 2014 Anino rated it really liked it
***ARC supplied via Kensington/Netgalley.com in exchange for an honest review***

As a fan of Interracial Romance and anything that's captivatingly awesome, I have to say that I am more than impressed by J.J Murray's latest endeavor.

Not only was it captivating and intense, but it was also thought-provoking as well. The characters were touchable, and the world-building was so incredible, that you actually felt like you were right there with the characters.

However, let me say that even though I lo
Mariel Hoss
Jun 06, 2014 Mariel Hoss rated it liked it
***ARC from NetGalley in Exchange for an honest review***

I liked that this book was told from the man’s POV entirely and Matthew proved to have a very hilarious POV. With that being said, this was a slow read for me because of what I felt like an excessive attention to detail (description of places, events, etc.). So I skimmed and concentrated on the meat of the story. It is heartening to know that men have the same issues with “romantic bad luck”. I liked that I was witness to his “awakening” t
Shelly
Jun 23, 2014 Shelly rated it liked it
I’ve read one other story from Murray so I’m somewhat familiar with this writing style. I was hoping to like this one a lot more than I liked the other story I read but I’m not anymore impressed now than I was back then.

Angela Smith owns and runs a local coffee and pastry shop in Williamsburg, NY. She inherited the business from her parents who have since move away but she’s doing the best she can until a chain coffee store moves across the street from her shop. Looking at an increase in rent fr
Kesha
Sep 27, 2016 Kesha rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this book. I loved the characters, especially Matt and his crazy dates.
LaToya
Aug 04, 2014 LaToya rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Romance readers
Recommended to LaToya by: NetGalley
Shelves: arc
Fans of J.J. Murray should like Until I Saw Your Smile. Business owner Angela Smith loves her coffee shop, Smith's Sweets & Eats, and her customers love her warm smile and great service, especially attorney Matthew McConnell who entertains Angela with stories of his latest exploits when he comes in for coffee. Matthew helps Angela with her rent increase for the opportunity to rent a booth in her store for his practice. Eventually, they develop more than just a working relationship.

Overall, I
Rita
May 05, 2014 Rita rated it liked it
Until I Saw Your Smile is the first book that I've read by this author. I enjoyed the beginning of the book. The women Matthew went out with were all somewhat extreme, and it was funny reading about his dates. Matthew and Angela were both really likeable characters. Both were smart (except for Matthew when it came to women), and both were down-to-earth characters that people can relate to. The only thing I didn't like about the story is how much Matthew kept talking about the city/neighborhood. ...more
Denise Gray
Aug 19, 2014 Denise Gray rated it really liked it
It was an okay read. I mistakenly read the book immediately after I took the bar exam. I figured I'd be able to not think and relax as I read the book.

However, I found myself yelling out loud because most of the book is a violation of ethics which all attorneys must follow. Then the courtroom scene was almost too much for me.

Other than JJ Murray's lack of knowledge legal procedure, the book was a good read. I couldn't your it down.
Jae
Uhhhh, yeahno. You know what stereotype I could really live without? The money-hungry "spicy" Latina. Maybe this douche-nozzle's girlfriend left him because he looked down on her. And maybe because he wanted a "caliente" sex life without having to deal with an actual Hispanic woman.

Also, this guy's internal monologue is well-nigh unendurable. If there's going to be so much navel-gazing, it should be written in first-person, not third. I give up at 5%.
Clorie
Apr 20, 2015 Clorie rated it liked it
I now understand the reviews saying it was like 2 different books in one. Yet I liked them both. I can go with as the relationship evolved the book changed. But I enjoyed how it started and how it ended.

What I didn't love was how he writing seemed bundled together. It seemed like run on chapters. Didn't stop me from liking the overall story but could have been more stars if there was more separateness.
Helen
Aug 02, 2014 Helen rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Funny, sweet and sexy! I read several reviews that said they were surprised to read a romance from a male POV. I have read many romances from a male POV, at least part of the book was from his perspective. This is the first romance I have read by a male author, however. Kudos to J. J. Murray. I will be reading all of his work.
Alicia
Jul 26, 2015 Alicia rated it it was amazing
I love this author's work more and more. Murray's books are thoughtful. Characters are entertaining. Scenarios entertaining. Plots and endings are always heartfelt. Looking forward to reading lots more of his work.
Bobbie
Jul 13, 2014 Bobbie rated it it was amazing
I fall in love with each novel I read of JJ Murray. I enjoy the male POV writing, if give a different feel to the story. The characters were fun to get to know. What I like the most are the personalities seem real, not over done. Fun, emotional and loving story to read. Very hug worthy!
Calley
Mar 02, 2015 Calley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
didn't make it past 11%. Super slow start, and I just couldn't get into it. It rambled a ton, and while there were spots that were pretty funny, I just couldn't get into it. Maybe it gets a lot better as it gets further in- as the premise seemed like it would make a cute story.
Genevieve Woods
Jun 17, 2014 Genevieve Woods rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I REALLY LIKE THE BOOK AND FLOW IT STARTED OUT LIGHTHEARTED BUT BECAME A FULL DRAMA. THE HERO WAS PAITENT AND KIND AND THE HEROIN WAS NEUROTIC AND LOVEABLE. 4 STARS BECAUSE A COFFEHOUSE LAWYER WAS JUST FUNNY.
JoAnne
May 12, 2014 JoAnne rated it really liked it
Read my review on RomanceJunkies.com by clicking on the link below:

I rated it 3.5 for the review but rounded up to 4 on Goodreads.com
Karen
May 13, 2014 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
This was a good story! I liked the beginning more the end. Possibly because it was lighter and I found myself laughing out loud at parts. I enjoyed it tho and will be looking for more from this author!
Deloris
Aug 17, 2016 Deloris rated it it was amazing
5.0 out of 5 stars
Excellent!
APB Perspective Reviews :

I'm new to this author. This story was right! It had the right amount of everything, romance,humor and drama. I couldn't put it down until I read the last page.
Shannan Harper
Apr 06, 2015 Shannan Harper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've never read anything from this author, but because of recommendations from others in our online book group, I decided to give Him a try, and I'm glad I did. It was a very engaging story, and I enjoyed it from beginning to end. This is another author added to my list.
Tya
Jul 23, 2015 Tya rated it it was ok
Ok. I liked the interracial relationship but I felt like there was entirely too much emphasis on her "brownness". He got better as the book progressed but--he was annoying.
Nafisah Mason
Apr 18, 2015 Nafisah Mason rated it liked it
decent story took me a while to get into because of the various points of view used in the authors writing style. once i got used to that it was a good read with light humor and heart.
Tameka
Apr 15, 2015 Tameka rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh

I've put this book down several times. It was ok. Had some trouble getting through it. Slow read... I would recommend
Atinuke
Jan 02, 2016 Atinuke rated it really liked it
This author is a recent discovery. His books so far are a light read with lots of laughter. Feel good is my best description of this book.
Deloris
Excellent!

Lynne Gooden
Lynne Gooden rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2015
Deniseskelton
Deniseskelton rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2014
Edshara
Edshara rated it it was ok
Jun 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Lavender Lane Lothario (Berger and Mitry, #11)
  • Burn
  • Harmony
  • The Color of Love
  • Being Plumville
  • Stranded!
  • Connelly's Flame (The Megalodon Team, #3)
  • Unfinished Business
  • Finding Opa! (The Lonely Hearts, #2)
  • A Friend and a Lover
  • Negotiating Skills
  • A Batter of Life and Death (A Bakeshop Mystery, #2)
  • Once Touched, Never Forgotten
  • Darwin's Children (Darwin's Children, #1)
  • The Widow's Daughter: A Novel
  • Lucky Charms
  • Ebony Eyes
  • Before Dawn Breaks
See biographical information at: J.J. Murray
More about J.J. Murray...