Start by marking “The Rustlers of Pecos County” as Want to Read:
The Rustlers of Pecos County

The Rustlers of Pecos County

Texas. They took the most contrary bunch of frontiersmen, ranchers, farmers, cowpokes, shiftless no-accounts, shootists rascals, and politicians, jumbled them together, and somehow formed a state. They called it Texas, but for defenseless women and children, it was hell.

Texas Rangers. Although they were outnumbered a thousand to one, the Texas Rangers fought a holding acti
Published May 17th 2012 by Duke Classics (first published 1923)

To ask other readers questions about The Rustlers of Pecos County, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rustlers of Pecos County

Samuel
Sep 02, 2011 Samuel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good story, but it's very different from other Zane Grey novels I have read. I notice that it's from later in his career, so it makes me wonder if this was one of the books (as has been rumored on other books) where one of his children co-wrote it with him. It has some of his characteristic writing, but the story-telling is uncharacteristic. More emphasis on the love affairs than I can remember in any other Grey novel I've read (but reminds me of the writings of his son [or grandson, ...more
Floyd
Jul 24, 2015 Floyd rated it it was amazing
Great read

I love westerns and Zane Grey is a classic in the westerns of the last century. Anyone who likes western action with a little romance mixed in will like this book set in lawless western Texas in the time before law was established when outlaws were the law and no real crime went to court and good citizens were terrorized. The Texas Rangers were fighting for support. Can they succeed or will gang of rustlers drive them out of Pecos badlands.
Carole Moran
May 02, 2013 Carole Moran rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westerns
This book is a partial manuscript (at least in e-reader form). It obviously picks up partway through a story and proceeds to the end. I've read this story under a different Zane Grey title before. This may be an attempt by someone to publish a "new" title and make more money on an unfinished manuscript. Regardless, it is typical Zane Grey western adventure.
Mikkel Libby
Mar 06, 2014 Mikkel Libby rated it really liked it
One of Grey's finest love stories.

Only Grey can write a love story that isn't full of lurid sex, and still keep the reader spellbound. I know it seems to be to idealistic but surely is what most readers word wish for in their own lives.
R.G. Phelps
Jun 20, 2016 R.G. Phelps rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
The Rustlers of Pecos County had a special hero and typically Zane Grey did a superb job in telling the story about him. I'm sure that you will enjoy how he put it all together as much as I did. No matter how many of his books I read I'll never tire reading them. Read and enjoy!
Ghaggard
May 29, 2014 Ghaggard rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good western story about cattle rustlers. Too much romance circa 1917. As always, great description of the terrain and atmosphere. If you are new to this author, Riders of the Purple Sage is the place to start.
Randy Andrews
Jun 20, 2014 Randy Andrews rated it it was ok
To much romance

hard to follow in the beginning. and to much romance for me. other than that it was a good story.
JEAN GRUNDY
May 24, 2016 JEAN GRUNDY rated it liked it
Bulls Eye

Never read a Zane Grey book I didn't like even though this one hit the bulls eye I have read better Grey books therefore he gets 3 stars this time.
Steve
Jan 03, 2012 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, reviewed, western
First book read on my Kindle Touch.

Zane Grey is one of the great western writers, and this was typical of his writing.
Ashley Carmichael
Jan 12, 2016 Ashley Carmichael rated it it was amazing
This is my style. A western. A romance. A spellbinding novel capturing the mythos of Texas. Zane Grey is straight forward, descriptive and exciting. One of my favorite of his.
Salvador Ortega
Apr 28, 2015 Salvador Ortega rated it it was amazing
Awsome

Great story, well written a great mix of the wild west and a love story. I wish all westerners could be written this well.
Frederick L Owen
Frederick L Owen rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2016
Tom Cattani
Tom Cattani rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2015
megan dye
megan dye rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Meade
Meade rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2010
William Gerald Walker
William Gerald Walker rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2014
John Watts
John Watts rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2014
thomas a jones
thomas a jones rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2015
Terry Beadle
Terry Beadle rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2016
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2012
Gary
Gary rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Laura rated it it was ok
Feb 09, 2016
Shelby
Shelby rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2013
Richard Winters
Richard Winters rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2015
Nate Nygren
Nate Nygren rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
Geoffreyhastings
Geoffreyhastings rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2016
  • The Night Horseman
  • Long Ride Home
  • Rebel Spurs
  • Showdown At Yellow Butte
Pearl Zane Grey was an American author best known for his popular adventure novels and stories that presented an idealized image of the rugged Old West. As of June 2007, the Internet Movie Database credits Grey with 110 films, one TV episode, and a series, Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theater based loosely on his novels and short stories.
More about Zane Grey...