Start by marking “Lost Daughters (Micky Knight, #4)” as Want to Read:
Lost Daughters (Micky Knight, #4)

Lost Daughters (Micky Knight #4)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  288 ratings  ·  15 reviews
"Micky Knight is a to-die-for creation . . . a Cajun firebrand with the proverbial quick wit, fast tongue and heavy heart."-"Lambda Book Report"

"One of the most hard-boiled and complex female detectives in print today."-"San Francisco Chronicle"

Published May 1st 2005 by Bywater Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Lost Daughters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost Daughters

Tipping the Velvet by Sarah WatersFingersmith by Sarah WatersAnnie on My Mind by Nancy GardenKeeping You a Secret by Julie Anne PetersFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Best Lesbian Fiction
141st out of 1,042 books — 1,250 voters
Death by the Riverside by J.M. RedmannDeaths of Jocasta by J.M. RedmannHunter's Way by Gerri HillThe News in Small Towns by Iza MoreauMadness in Small Towns by Iza Moreau
best lesbian mysteries
6th out of 120 books — 25 voters

More lists with this book...

Justina
This fourth book in the Micky Knight series is extraordinarily balanced with multiple story lines that delightfully intersect and support the shared searches for lost daughters. There are also a disturbing number of murders that hit home and at the heart for Micky and her close friends. Micky is not only a key element in the searches, but uncovers the curious link that really ties all the murders together. Such a magnificent story that weaves back and forth between the harsh realities and delica ...more
Kennedy
Intense and engaging.
Elaine Burnes
She's done it again. Whew. This one was great. I love that in each book Micky also solves some important mystery in her own life. I was bawling at the end. And though I figured out what would happen, the details took me by surprise, yet they fit perfectly. Terrific.

I see Bywater has a version of this. I read the Bold Strokes Books edition and was very disappointed in the binding. It was stiff and hard to hold.
Katy
May 25, 2012 Katy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of lesbian noir/detective stories
Book Info: Genre: Detective/Lesbian Noir Reading Level: Adult

Disclosure: I received a free copy of book 7 in this series in exchange for an honest review. I purchased the rest of the books in the series myself, so am under no particular obligation, but am happy to provide an honest review.

Synopsis: Micky takes on the cases of a widowed mother looking for her daughter and a tough gay boy hunting for his biological mother. Together they stir in Micky a desire to search for her own mother, who aba
tres
The book starts off almost three years after the events of its predecessor. Cordelia and Micky are still together happy and rolling, something Micky never thought would be possible, which is pretty easy to understand as her previous relationships rarely lasted more than a week and even rarer more than a day.

Story is pretty much focused on Micky, her personal life and again her past. Side characters like Joanna and Danny doesn't get much space and only appears on a few occasions, which made me a
Alena
I remember really liking this when I first read this.

And I did again, but I must say it somehow lacked in intensity compared with the previous two books. I'm not quite sure why, as both the crime plot and Micky's journey to somehow complete the puzzle that is her past are intense and emotional. Maybe it has to do with the binge-ing.

Style-wise and character-wise it is the least edgy and raw book in the series. I think the author has grown into her style and Micky has grown into her life in a way
Gill
I enjoyed this far more than its forerunner, The Intersection of Law and Desire. Lost Daughters is set some time later, when Micky & Cordelia are celebrating their 3rd anniversary. Prompted by this and a couple of her cases, Micky delves deeper into her own past in a bid to understand why her mother left her to the tender mercies of Aunt Greta and family.
Kathryn Bundy
This is fourth in Redmann's Micky Knight mystery series. Published in 1999, it is a little dated, but only by technology. The story is intact. Micky is finally ready, at 33, to address the hole left in her life when her mother abandoned her at the age of 5. Concurrently, she is solving two cases of "mother-child reunion", so they all dovetail.

The book was intriguing enough to keep me reading late into the night to finish it.
Sandy
I liked this, the 4th in the Micky Knight series. My least favorite part of it was the serial killer theme. I know it's a detective series but this would have been fine with just the "lost child" part of the story (2 cases and Micky's own story). Sometimes, being a PI is boring and the serial killer story felt tacked on to make it more interesting in an unnecessary way. But that's more a nitpick than anything.
Hazey
J. M. Redman rarely disappoints!

Lost Daughters #4 is a stand alone book, but you might wish to start with "Death by the Riverside" and read the Micky Knight series in order.

Good news for fans of the Micky Knight series is this books answers a lot of questions interestingly well. Looking forward to reading the next book already. Not sure how many complete this series?
Freyja Vanadis
Much better than the second book in the series, although the ending is just a little too neat for my tastes. Everyone who was adopted and looking for their birth mothers, including Micky Knight herself, finds them and it's all hunky dory. And the murderer accidentally kills his own self. Hmm.
Ulla
The Micky Knight mysteries get better on every reading! Looking forward to reading "The Death of a Dying Man" and the one after that!
Nicole
I thoroughly enjoyed learning Micky's past. Read this in less than 24 hours!
SuperCat
she's not Agatha Christie, but it was an easy, fun read.
Connie
This is a really fun lesbian detective series.
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Anne Hagan
Anne Hagan marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Ia
Ia added it
Dec 09, 2014
Mostly Lesfic: Lost Daughters 3 16 Oct 01, 2011 07:29AM
  • Amateur City (Kate Delafield, #1)
  • Rainey Nights  (Rainey Bell, #2)
  • Conflict of Interest
  • Deal with the Devil (Cain Casey, #3)
  • Justice in the Shadows (Justice, #3)
  • Stoner McTavish (Stoner McTavish Mysteries, #1)
  • Without Warning (Shaken, #1)
  • Hunter's Way (Hunter, #1)
  • Infinite Loop
  • Tropical Storm (Dar and Kerry, #1)
  • Lethal Affairs (Elite Operatives, #1)
Jean Marie Redmann is an American novelist best known for her mystery series featuring New Orleans private investigator Micky Knight.

Main themes of Redmann's novels are the protagonist's troubled childhood and how it affects her adult life, discrimination based on sexual orientation and alcoholism.

Her novels follow the tradition of hardboiled fiction. Redmann's third book The Intersection of Law a
More about J.M. Redmann...

Micky Knight (8 books)
  • Death by the Riverside (Micky Knight, #1)
  • Deaths of Jocasta (Micky Knight, #2)
  • The Intersection of Law and Desire (Micky Knight, #3)
  • Death of a Dying Man (Micky Knight, #5)
  • Water Mark (Micky Knight, #6)
  • Ill Will (Micky Knight, #7)
  • The Shoal of Time (Micky Knight, #8)
Death by the Riverside (Micky Knight, #1) Deaths of Jocasta (Micky Knight, #2) The Intersection of Law and Desire (Micky Knight, #3) Death of a Dying Man (Micky Knight, #5) Water Mark (Micky Knight, #6)