Start by marking “The Cambridge Encyclopedia of the English Language” as Want to Read:
The Cambridge Encyclopedia of the English Language

The Cambridge Encyclopedia of the English Language

4.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  572 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
This celebrated book offers a unique experience of the English language in all its richness and diversity. Clear and accessible, it abounds with insights into how the language evolved and how it works. Superbly illustrated in color throughout, and updated for this first paperback edition, "The Cambridge Encyclopedia of the English Language" is the most comprehensive genera ...more
Published May 26th 1995 by Cambridge University Press (first published 1987)

Patricia
Oct 22, 2007 Patricia rated it it was amazing
Wow.

A history of English, as it is spoken, written, taught, and learned.

Many, many maps, illustrations, references, sidebars, and photographs are included in this wonderful encyclopedia. The scope and breadth of this work includes examples of English literature from Beowulf, Chaucer, Hamlet, and The Cat in the Hat. There are studies of accents and pronunciations, Scandinavian place names in the English speaking world, how English grammar evolved from that of a quasi-Saxon tongue into a blend of
Peter dohan
Nov 21, 2014 Peter dohan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I am dipping into the 1993 hardback edition; it is not a book to read through cover to cover. open any page and be amazed. it is an unusually well-crafted book - a treasure trove, indeed, with pieces of eight on every page. I am heading to the far east soon and will read it every night till then. not plane carry on material unfortunately. peter
Jim Peterson
(I wrote this review at work for learners of English, so I thought I'd add it here too.)

Organized by topic and full of interesting images and diagrams, The Cambridge Encyclopedia of the English Language is exactly what your coffee table has been missing. Most topics are covered in just two pages, so they can be read in small bits. You can really open it up to any page and find something interesting. Due to its value for occasional engaging reading, I would recommend it for intermediate learners
Wayne
Oct 06, 2011 Wayne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who speaks, reads or thinks
Recommended to Wayne by: the English Tongue,
This is not the type of book you have to read from cover to cover.It's one of those you just wade through in whatever direction you like as well as using it for specific references.
In other words it's a treasure chest of goodies...amusing, enlightening, absorbing and satisfying.

I recall David Crystal talking about a competition they had run for someone to create a 'new' word.
They awarded it to the entry 'BAGONIZE' which means the feeling you have at the airport when you are anxiously waiting for
Alba
Aug 30, 2014 Alba rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english-language
Hello,

I am 17 and I'm a Spanish student who aims to study English Literature at University.

I've always asked myself things like: "What are the English accents like?; What does this English name come from?; How much did French language influenced over the English language?; Where could I find anything about the Old English literature (for instance: documents, songs, words...)? [...]"

What I didn't know was that it does exist an encyclopedia of such things!!!!

Although I'm Spanish, I think I woul
Ceridwen
Dec 17, 2007 Ceridwen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in language
As linguistics books go, this is a fascinating read. Very informative, interesting and surprisingly funny. And if you ever have the chance of visiting one of Mr. Crystal's lectures, do it. I hear he regularly has the audience rolling in the aisles.
Trevor
Mar 30, 2016 Trevor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: language, history, kew-nf
Everything you ever wanted to know about English, written in witty, accurate and clear prose by language genius David Crystal. Don't let the title put you off...it's a fascinating read!
Taylor
Sep 20, 2015 Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: English majors; lovers of etymology
Shelves: reviewed
Great resource and very well-written. I could actually see myself revisiting this down the road. Crystal's book is exhaustive and engaging.
Jack Pyke
May 27, 2013 Jack Pyke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's by Crystal, of course it's goooood ref material.
Amber
Jan 02, 2015 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my go-to Encyclopedia for years.
Matthew Jarman
Sep 16, 2010 Matthew Jarman rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have ever read.
Steve Cox
Mar 22, 2015 Steve Cox rated it really liked it
A great 'dippy' book; one you can happily dip into, confident of finding interesting nuggets about the English language. It includes sections on the history, vocabulary and grammar of English, as you would expect, but it also discusses the many variations of modern English used around the world and even has sections on the way children learn English from infancy. A marvellous resource to have and keep as a reference.
Katya Epstein
Jul 26, 2011 Katya Epstein rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore this book. If you love the English language, you will love this book. I know it's a hackneyed phrase, but this really is a treasure trove. I have seen my friends' eyes light up as they leaf through it. Everything you might want to know about English, written in clear and charming language, by a true linguist. David Crystal is not just some journalist with a list of clever etymologies or a self-appointed punctuation maven. He manages to cover an enormous breadth of topics with surprising ...more
Cecily
Dec 31, 2009 Cecily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: language-related
A superb reference book covering all aspects of the development of the English language, its vocabulary, usage, orthography, spelling, variants, punctuation etc.

David Crystal wears his expertise lightly, which makes the book a delight to use and very accessible, with lots of illustrations, diagrams, photos and examples. There are also appendices and lists for further reading.

In general, Crystal is a pragmatist who loves language; he is certainly not an authoritarian pedant. He accepts and explai
Badiuddin
Feb 28, 2015 Badiuddin rated it really liked it
Shelves:
reffered by my friend i wanDavid Crystalt to read it and rated by her reference
Lindsay
Great reference material on the history of the English language as well as English dialect/ regional differences. It has a wealth of information!
Richard Thomas
Dec 04, 2014 Richard Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english-usage
A fascinating reference book. It's both learned and accessible and essential for anyone who wishes an understanding of English in all its forms
Renate
Jun 09, 2015 Renate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: study
A great general insight in the development and structure of the English language.
Kame-nyan
Mar 25, 2016 Kame-nyan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the many reasons why to adore the genius of David Crystal.
CRyan
An endlessly interesting book.
Apr 24, 2015 375257888798 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
exellent book
Rikki Chadwick
U svrhe fakulteta :)
Erin
Mar 07, 2011 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Purchased this book to use as a reference book for my Sociolinguistics class and kept it because it is a great book for writers as well. Sometimes if I need to jumpstart myself to write I pull this book out, flip to a random page and make myself write a poem or something about whatever is on that page. Very useful as an academic resource AND a creative resource.
Rachel
Jan 05, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: word nerds and grammar geeks
Read (and I'm using the word "read" pretty loosely here) this for the class I'm auditing, "The English Language." I'm delighted by how engaging it is--best written reference book I've read, actually (I'm looking at you, The New Princeton Encyclopedia of Poetry and Poetics!).
Kelly
Jul 23, 2007 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: college, non-fiction
This book is great for anyone interested in the history of the English language but who doesn't want to wade through the pages of more dense and esoteric texts. This book narrows it down to the key ideas and provides the reader with loads of fun facts and lots of pictures! :)
Uticensis
Jun 11, 2011 Uticensis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a ridiculously good book. Packed with information on the English language to the gills, and it's not the one bit dry at all. The author seamlessly weaves in contemporary trends with linguistic research. Anyone lover of English must buy this book.
Fiona Ranson
Dec 30, 2013 Fiona Ranson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing reference book, which will not be read as a reference book but cover to cover- it's packed of 'read out loud facts'.
Roberta
Apr 03, 2016 Roberta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent encyclopedia on the English language from all the angles one can imagine, with plenty of diagrams, images, and quotes from a plethora of sources. Now slightly outdated when it comes to the digital use and form of English.
Jeffrey
Jun 30, 2008 Jeffrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academic
Don't know much about the English language? Here's your chance to negate that problem. Here we go back in time to middled English, old English and beyond. Way back to the Jutes, Angles, Saxons . . . So get your reading fedora out.
  • The Oxford Companion to the English Language
  • Roget's Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases (Reference Books)
  • A Dictionary of Modern English Usage
  • The English Language: A Historical Introduction
  • Contemporary Linguistics: An Introduction
  • Far from the Madding Gerund: And Other Dispatches from Language Log
  • The Oxford Illustrated History of Britain
  • They Have a Word for It: A Lighthearted Lexicon of Untranslatable Words & Phrases
  • Language
  • Serendipities: Language and Lunacy
  • 501 French Verbs: Fully Conjugated in All the Tenses and Moods in a New Easy-To-Learn Format, Alphabetically Arranged
  • The University of Chicago Spanish - English English - Spanish Dictionary
  • English Phonetics and Phonology
David Crystal works from his home in Holyhead, North Wales, as a writer, editor, lecturer, and broadcaster. Born in Lisburn, Northern Ireland in 1941, he spent his early years in Holyhead. His family moved to Liverpool in 1951, and he received his secondary schooling at St Mary's College. He read English at University College London (1959-62), specialised in English language studies, did some rese ...more
More about David Crystal...

“There is little scientific data on the point, but evidently people do speak to themselves.” 3 likes