Start by marking “Four Tragedies” as Want to Read:
Four Tragedies

Four Tragedies

4.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  10,281 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
"Hamlet"
One of the most famous plays of all time, the compelling tragedy of the young prince of Denmark who must reconcile his longing for oblivion with his duty to avenge his father's murder is one of Shakespeare's greatest works. The ghost, Ophelia's death and burial, the play within a play, and the breathtaking swordplay are just some of the elements that make Hamlet a
Unknown Binding, 760 pages
Published January 1st 1988 by Perfection Learning Prebound (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Four Tragedies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Tragedies

Michael
Dec 17, 2008 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If there is a lesson common to all of these tragedies, it is not to go jumping to conclusions. You may have an enemy muddying the waters (Othello). You may have mispercieved the situation because your ego is in the way (King Lear). You may think you are avoiding fate, when actually you are placing yourself right in the way of it by doing something ethically questionable (Macbeth). Or you may just be a little to self-righteous for your own good (Hamlet). Tragedy in these works is usually brought ...more
Maureen
Nov 13, 2012 Maureen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Up front, I love Shakespeare. I love the sonnets, the comedies, some of the histories, and all of the tragedies. The first play I ever saw onstage was Richard Burton's rehearsal dress "Hamlet" back in the Sixties when I was in my teens. I was so astounded to discover such a thing, such language, that I literally could not get out of my seat for the standing ovation. A whole world had opened up to me. I knew I did not understand everything that had transpired on that stage--I was too naive, too l ...more
Jessica
Jan 13, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Okay, I love Shakespeare! I have read this book over and over, for classes and for leisure, and my absolute favorite play is King Lear. I love the disruption of gender conventions and the vanity of the characters. I love how Lear goes from being king down to being nothing. I think that it's Shakespeare's most brilliant and misogynist play. Regan and Goneril are so united and terribly ambitious and they pretty much throw it away over Edmund, going along with saying that "down from the waist they ...more
Chris brown
Dec 04, 2013 Chris brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Diane
Apr 16, 2016 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Four tragedies written by William Shakespeare are provided in this quite portable book. Hamlet, Othello, King Lear, and Macbeth all share the pages and are edited by four different people, one for each play. Because of this, the editing techniques, footnotes, and connotations tend to be different from play to play and it isn't recommended to sit down and try to read all four in one go. In particular, the editor for King Lear is very heavy handed in his edits and suggestions of meanings. Regardle ...more
Will
May 17, 2014 Will rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Google “Shakespeare” and you will be met with over 36,000,000 results. On my page 14 I found the Shakespeare Animal Fund, and beyond that was Manga Shakespeare, workplace advice taken from Othello, a cluster of bull-shitty Thought Catalog articles, and Canadian Shakespeare. The list goes much further.

What could I possibly add to a 400 year old discussion? Do I really need to add to that pile? Of course the answer is no, but we are so far beyond straws breaking camels’ backs, the camel now crushe
Kate
Apr 19, 2010 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Kelsey
May 13, 2016 Kelsey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is great in that it compiles Shakespeare's four main tragedies, but its font is very small, its pages are short, and putting together all of these texts makes it difficult to hold the book and flip the pages. The notes that go along with the plays are difficult to read because they are listed beneath each page of the play, and the formatting is just awkward. Definitely much harder to read than the Barnes & Noble Editions of Shakespeare's works.

I think that the plays in this book ar
Alison
Jan 21, 2015 Alison rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
I know I read Shakespeare in highschool but must have blocked it from my memory because I can't remember a thing. I had to read Hamlet for a college class and it was as horrible as I dreaded it would be. Thank goodness for No Fear Shakespeare!
Michelle
Mar 04, 2011 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed these with great productions on DVD from Netflix and The Teaching Company course "Shakespeare's Tragedies" with lecturer Claire McKinney from University of Virginia.

Movie versions I watched and recommend:

Hamlet: Compare the Royal Shakespeare Company's production of Hamlet starring David Tennant and Patrick Stewart as Claudius (2009) with Kenneth Branagh's chandelier-swinging version (1996).

Othello: Oliver Parker starring Laurence Fishburne as Othello and Kenneth Branagh as Iag
Pierre
Aug 25, 2012 Pierre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can really be said about Shakespeare that does him justice or hasn't been said before?

'Not much' is the answer, but I always loved the following quote by Robert Graves:

"The remarkable thing about Shakespeare is that he is really very good - in spite of all the people who say he is very good."

And it's a thought that continues to shine in truth every time I read Shakespeare. He really is the grandaddy, the quarterback, the star, the most beautiful girl in school and so on and so forth.

In sh
Heather
Jan 22, 2016 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love, love Shakespeare! Truly are Four Great Tragedies!!
Swifero
Jan 27, 2016 Swifero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
only Hamlet until know has been read by me.
Meredith
I had to read this for school, and only the Hamlet section. It took forever to read, but I'm glad I did. The footnotes really helped me to understand some of the odd phases, which in turn helped when I had to watch the movie for class.
Noa
Nov 11, 2011 Noa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First off you will be surprised to find out that 'Hamlet' alone was this lengthy.
Secondly, it takes unbelievably long because of old archaic words that needs translation almost word by word.
Yes, same English but how words have changed over time!
Last but not least, you thought you knew about the story, maybe so, but not Hamlet himself until you read it with great concentration.
Forget about different versions and missing parts.

'Cause you still have enough to carry on!
Tamara
Aug 06, 2012 Tamara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I originally bought this book years ago when we read Macbeth and Hamlet. I just finished King Lear and it was good (we read Othello earlier in high school). The thing I Telly like about this text is that it leaves the text itself pretty much alone. It does make notes, but they are all at the bottom of the page leaving the reader as interrupted as they choose. Its also really nice to have four of Shakespeare's greatest tragedies right there.
Max
Jul 18, 2007 Max rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good texts of four of Shakespeare's key plays. The Macbeth text includes some of the scenes with Hecate that were likely written by other authors, and the Hamlet text is inclusive of scenes that appear only in Q2. Those of you who haven't read these plays - drop what you're doing and get an edition and read them. The Ardens are the best, but if you are in China and only have access to the Bantam, then the Bantam it must be.
Patricia Carpenter
Wow! My daughter gave me Shakespeare's Complete Works for Christmas last year (behind in notes and dates - strange year). I decided to read the 4 tragedies first. My mother's father (a teacher in the Appalachians) used to tell me Shakespeare plays as childhood stories but he would recite some soliloquies. My favorite was MacBeth because of the Lady MacBeth role. Thank you Grandpa and thank you Mom.
Mercer
Aug 21, 2007 Mercer is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: a.p. english students
i'm rereading hamlet for the first time since high school, and this time around, my favorite line comes from polonius: this is too long. that guy cracks me up.

i read the history plays earlier this summer, and the difference between their more-or-less constant plot movement and hamlet's indecision is pretty great. i think prince hal might have finished off claudius while he was praying.
Emilydokken
Dec 30, 2010 Emilydokken rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it. I have read Hamlet and watched the Branagh film of it too many times to count. I first read Hamlet in November of 2005. I read King Lear in the fall of 2008 and was in a play called Lear's Daughters where I played Regan. Othello I also read in the fall of 2008. I am embarrassed to admit I have never read Macbeth. There is nothing better than Shakespeare in my opinion.
e luce fu
May 22, 2010 e luce fu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
well.. my liking to these four tragedies varies from one to another. Yet I enjoyed the whole collection!! Feel like I would have never enjoy if I read some of them & left the others!!
It was a pleasure to meet four different glorious personae, regfardless their flaws. It just helped me heave a deep sigh of releif saying to myself: it's not only me who make disateroud things :-|
Kenny
Jul 15, 2011 Kenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Introductions for each play give a brief synopsis, inserting factoids like, Hamlet is the longest play, Macbeth is the shortest, as well as, the ways Shakespeare himself adapted many of the plays from earlier sources.

According to Prof. Huang, "Folgers is good for K-12, but this is for serious grad students." Emphasis on serious.
Mitra
From Othello the moor of Venice:
Iago: ”Zound, sir ,you are robbed. For shame ,put on your gown, your heart is burst, you have lost half your soul. Even now ,very now, an old black ram is tupping your white ewe. Arise, arise, awake the snorting citizens with the bell or else the devil will make a grandsire of you. Arie, I say.
Amy
Jun 19, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
So I loved Othello because of Iago, and Macbeth was interesting because of Lady Macbeth. Lear, and Hamlet were okay, but they didn't really grab my attention. I'm seeing a pattern though, and it's pointing to deviously insane people. Especially because one of my favorite Harry Potter characters in Bellatrix.
Solitude
Apr 13, 2013 Solitude rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent collection of Shakespeare's finest tragedies at a reasonable price. The footnotes are a nice addition that eases the unfamiliar reader into Shakespeare. The one problem with this edition is the book's quality itself, and for that, I took away a star. The content itself earns a five.
Eleece
Mar 17, 2013 Eleece rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In English class, we read Othello from this book. My rating is based solely on Othello because we didn't have enough time for the others. Anyway, I really enjoyed Othello. The majority of it was very easy to understand. I'm actually really glad we read this, but we were rushed too much.
Mark
Sep 28, 2008 Mark rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The most important thing I could not forget about Shakespeare is that he creates haunting-personalities and dramatic stories that somehow in one way or another reflect our own selves and our own shadows and the particular world in which we born into.
Jeni
Jul 09, 2009 Jeni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this isn't the exact book i read, but it was the best one i could fine to represent othello, especially since ive already read the others, lol.

i thought othello was pretty good, i really enjoy shakespeares tragedies for the most part.
Janet Wilcox
Aug 18, 2009 Janet Wilcox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of Shakespeare's greatest tragedies. At one time I had 100 lines memorized from this, but only remember, "Beware my Lord of jealousy, It is the green-ey'd monster, which doth mock the meat it feeds on.. ."
Marc
Aug 08, 2011 Marc rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far, just Hamlet. It takes some time to wade through, that's for sure. Sometimes I ask myself, why am I reading this? But then I see how many of our idioms are (mis)used that come from the Bard.
Macbeth's Downfall? 1 1 Apr 18, 2014 03:27PM
regarding physicality efficiency 2 13 Mar 21, 2012 05:39PM
  • Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet
  • William Shakespeare's: A Midsummer Night's Dream (Shakespeare Retellings, #2)
  • King Lear
  • Antigone / Oedipus the King / Electra
  • Iphigenia / Phaedra / Athaliah
  • John Milton: The Major Works (Oxford World's Classics)
  • The Burial at Thebes: A Version of Sophocles' Antigone
  • Four Major Plays: A Doll's House / Ghosts / Hedda Gabler / The Master Builder
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer & Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
  • The Canterbury Tales: Nine Tales and the General Prologue: Authoritative Text, Sources and Backgrounds, Criticism
  • The Portable James Joyce
  • The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Volume 1: The Middle Ages through the Restoration & the Eighteenth Century
  • A History of Christian Thought Volume II: From Augustine to the Eve of the Reformation
  • Tartuffe and Other Plays
  • Creeds of the Churches: A Reader in Christian Doctrine from the Bible to the Present
  • The Critical Tradition: Classic Texts and Contemporary Trends
  • Four Plays: Summer and Smoke / Orpheus Descending / Suddenly Last Summer / Period of Adjustment
  • Adobe Photoshop Cs2 Classroom in a Book
William Shakespeare (baptised 26 April 1564) was an English poet and playwright, widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language and the world's pre-eminent dramatist. He is often called England's national poet and the "Bard of Avon" (or simply "The Bard"). His surviving works consist of 38 plays, 154 sonnets, two long narrative poems, and several other poems. His plays have been tr ...more
More about William Shakespeare...

“Zounds, sir, you are one of those that will not serve God if the devil bid you...I am one, sir, that comes to tell you your daughter and the Moor are making the beast with two backs.” 2 likes
“There is flattery in friendship - William Shakespeare” 2 likes