Start by marking “The Effect of Her” as Want to Read:
The Effect of Her

The Effect of Her

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  7 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Mags Perry, a journalist, flees her marriage in England to create a new life in what she hopes is a different Ireland.

Francis Strong, a teenager obsessed with literature, leaves his family for the dizzying freedoms of the capital.

CJ, a disgraced politician in search of a way back to power, meets a woman who may change the direction of his life.

In his breathtaking new novel
Published May 21st 2013 by Old Street Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Effect of Her, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Effect of Her

Allan
Jun 29, 2014 Allan rated it it was amazing
I read and loved this novel last year, but decided to reread it directly after finishing a reread of its predecessor, 'Unspoken', to help freshly contextualise some of the fictional characters that it took me a while to remember on first read.

Where Unspoken followed the main twin threads of family life with the Strongs in 1960s Limerick and the political career of Donagh O'Malley, the minister who introduced free secondary education to ROI during the same decade, The Effect of Her carries on the
Barbara
I loved reading about the 1970's in Ireland, a time when seismic shifts occurred in Irish society, primarily related to the status of women and the beginnings in changes in possibilities in the realms of sexuality. I was very familiar with the Late Late Show episode that centered on the women's movement and the "contraceptives train" episode. But much of the thread that revolved around politicians was lost on me. Though I am familiar with Garret Fitzgerald, it wasn't easy to follow the ins and ...more
Aine
In the first book of this series, “Unspoken”, Stembridge traced the social history of 1960s Ireland. Returning to the Strong and Liston households, he continues their story with the 1970s “The effect of her”. Tracing the abortion debate, the impact of free secondary education and evolving family groups, Stembridge follows Francis and Marian, Matthew, Susan and Simon through their school years and into their forays into college life.

Simultaneously, national political landmarks such as the Arms Tr
Sheu Quen
I'm sorry but this is the most difficult book to read, ever. Partially because of its Irish politics that I don't really understand much of to begin with, and the plot that puts me to sleep every time I picked the book up to read. Sure, I had to go online and do some basic research about the restrictions on women during the 1970s in Ireland and I finally understood what the whole book is about, but there were still the technical Irish jargon that made my brains go 'bzzt bzzt'.

Because I hate leav
Aoife
Aoife rated it really liked it
May 03, 2015
Emma Flanagan
Emma Flanagan rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2014
Elissa de Heer
Elissa de Heer rated it it was ok
Jan 05, 2015
Judith Caball
Judith Caball is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2013
Nav Logan
Nav Logan marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2013
Lise Højer
Lise Højer marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Seraphina
Seraphina marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Louise
Louise added it
Oct 25, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Carol McGuire
Carol McGuire marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Rita Magalhães
Rita Magalhães marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Fion
Fion marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Nadirah T.
Nadirah T. marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Tk
Tk marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Patricia Normanly
Patricia Normanly marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Ainsakinah
Ainsakinah marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Stela
Stela marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Faiza  Yousuf
Faiza Yousuf marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Cathleen
Cathleen marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Declan L
Declan L marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
dicky prastya
dicky prastya marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2016
Gerard "Gerry" Stembridge is an Irish writer, director and actor. He was educated at CBS Sexton Street in Limerick. While attending University College Dublin, he was auditor of the Literary and Historical Society. He taught English and drama at Mount Temple Comprehensive School in Clontarf.
More about Gerard Stembridge...