Start by marking “Hamlet and Me” as Want to Read:
Hamlet and Me

Hamlet and Me

It's time, Mikey Cleary decides at the age of very nearly twelve, to put away childish things.
He is a bright boy from a working class, Anglo-Irish family in nineteen-sixties London who wants to understand what's going on around him. But he lives in a confusion of worlds, each with its own senseless rules and bizarre inhabitants.
Why does police constable 'Killer' Wells chas
Published November 2nd 2012 by mikehoganbooks

To ask other readers questions about Hamlet and Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hamlet and Me

Linda
Apr 19, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had the best opening I have ever read. Plot, mechanics, etc., were good. I traveled London with Mikey Cleary for awhile. He and most of his family were scoundrels. Even one priest and a few cops gave a wink and a nod. Through Mikey I met Sir Lawrence Olivier and Peter O'Toole. Richard Burton was out of the country at the time. We were bookies and thieves. We roamed London picking pockets and receiving rewards for alerting good citizens whose pockets had just been picked by rival ...more
Demetrius Sherman
Dec 01, 2012 Demetrius Sherman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book begins with a boy as typical as we all were—hiding nudie magazines under the bed and getting into trouble. The boy is a bright quick thinker—a trait that comes in handy when coppers appear. He’s worried about puberty, and happy with features the girls might like. This boy has a secret life in the world of gambling Mike Hogan does an excellent job of putting us into the boy’s world and creates a page turner in doing so. We ask ourselves; what will happen to this lad as the world and his ...more
Martyn
Nov 11, 2012 Martyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be a great fun read. It was also a wonderful trip down memory lane being set in 1960's London particularly the personalities who make appearances like Peter O'Toole, John Gielgud, Sid James and many more. The central character Mikey is very believable torn between his family, the church and lots of shady goings on with his mates.

I highly recommend Penny for the Guy Mr Oliver and hope there is a sequel with further adventures of Mikey.
Linda Laher.
Linda Laher. rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2014
Leslie
Leslie rated it did not like it
Jul 12, 2015
David Ruffle
David Ruffle rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Literary  Chanteuse
Literary Chanteuse marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2012
Henry
Henry marked it as to-read
May 08, 2013
Kasane Teto
Kasane Teto marked it as to-read
May 09, 2013
Mike Hogan
Aug 24, 2013 Mike Hogan added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: biography
Hope Dee
Hope Dee marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Jennifer Bradshaw
Jennifer Bradshaw marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2016
I've lived most of my life in Africa, Asia and the Far East manufacturing handicrafts and teaching. I decided to quit regular work and write. There wasn't really a plan, just an instinct that I could write in different historical and contemporary settings.

I completed a Sherlock Holmes novel trilogy in which Winston Churchill, aged twelve, joins Sherlock and Watson at 221B Baker Street. All are ava
More about Mike Hogan...