Start by marking “The Twilight Zone Companion” as Want to Read:
The Twilight Zone Companion

The Twilight Zone Companion

4.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  668 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
The Twilight Zone has captivated, teased and haunted the imaginations of countless millions of viewers from its 1959 debut through its 156 subsequent episodes and many years of steady rebroadcast.

The Twilight Zone Conpanion, a 1983 American Book Award nominee, is the complete show-by-show guide to one of television's all-time greatest series. Zicree's account of the series

Paperback, Second edition, 466 pages
Published December 1st 1992 by Silman-James Press (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Twilight Zone Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twilight Zone Companion

Brenda
Nov 09, 2008 Brenda rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No One
This book has tons of errors. For years I thought this to be the Bible of all things Twilight Zone, but recently I acquired a book titled "Thw Twilight Zone: Unlocking the Door to a Television Classic" by Martin Grams and WOW! Someone finally gave the TV series justice.

Don't get me wrong. Zicree's book is a nice read, but no facts. "Four O'Clock" and "Mr. Garrity and the Graves" is left to one paragraph of commentary and opinion. Information regarding "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" is so w
Tom Harold
Apr 06, 2011 Tom Harold rated it it was amazing
This book is pretty fantastic, far better than I had predicted. I thought it would amount to no more than a recounting of episodes, but there is a great deal of background concerning the show, Serling himself, and the other writers involved. Numerous episodes feature particular notes related to the writing, music, or filmography involved. This is a great resource for any fan of the show.

I began this review before I finished the book, and now that I am done my opinion has not changed. The amount
Trisha Drape
Jan 27, 2010 Trisha Drape rated it it was amazing
This is the most worn-out book I own; it is referred to often throughout the years, and I actually have read it cover to cover. Most importantly, it was essential in my quest for finding and watching every single Twilight Zone episode every aired. It took a few years, but I accomplished the goal a year ago (a strange and misunderstood goal, I know). But the various writers who contributed to The Twilight Zone and, of course, Rod Serling, are among the most creative storytellers ever.
CaliGirlRae
Jul 04, 2009 CaliGirlRae rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Twilight Zone fans
One of my favorite reference guide for one of my fave spec antho shows of all time. I love that this shows and describes all the episodes including the opening and closing narration by Serling. I wish there was more objective commentary and behind the scenes as the author tends to give his opinion a bit too much (which shifts it away from a true companion guide). But all in all a good resource that every T-Zone fan should have on their shelf.
Evan
Feb 18, 2008 Evan rated it it was amazing
My grandfather gave me this book, too. I used to watch The Twilight Zone when i would visit him and drink coke and eat toast and bread & butter sandwiches. I didn't read it for a few years (seems to be a running theme), but not for as long. Now i own the entire DVD collection and it's one of my favorite TV shows, ever. Thanks grandpa!
Dottie
Nov 02, 2007 Dottie rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Who was that in the episode when...? When was that episode on? Where does that episode fit into the whole? What was that episode called? These answers and the answers to most questions on this landmark series will be found here.
Lou Salvaggio
Feb 10, 2008 Lou Salvaggio rated it liked it
Good to just rifle through. Just saw and episode and what to know if that dashing young buck was a youthful Robert Duvall? Just whip out this book...that's what I did. Best part is I found this in the trash by my job.
Aaron VanAlstine
Aug 07, 2014 Aaron VanAlstine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, audiobooks
Back in the early 80s I lived in a house with some friends and we enjoyed many late evenings watching “The Zone.” One of my roomies had this book and it became a fixture during those hazy beer & pizza nights. A great reference on individual episodes, it also contains a lot of background information on the actors. I recently found the audiobook version and so I decided to give it another “read.”

Each episodic chapter begins with Rod Serling’s opening narration, a brief synopsis of that episode
John
Jun 02, 2010 John rated it really liked it
"You're travelling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind; a journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead -- your next stop, the Twilight Zone!"
Rod Serling.

It was fun to revisit "The Twilight Zone" and learn about the characters and background that went into each of the 156 episodes. "The Twilight Zone" was Rod Serling's brilliant creation which persuasively played on human fears, prejudices and dream
Conal Cochran
The Twilight Zone was one of my gateway drugs into appreciation of the horror genre, and back when I was getting into it, I read this book dozens of times. The only problem with the book is that the quality sort of oscillates depending on the author's interests, and not necessarily with the importance of the episode--thus something seminal like "Occurrence at Owl Creek" gets the shaft.

Still, it's an engaging and well-illustrated resource, and is especially good when talking about the early days
Rebecca McNutt
Apr 28, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it it was amazing
Well-written, simplistic yet detailed and very informative; I've been a long-time fan of The Twilight Zone for years and I still learned some new trivia after reading this guide! Definitely something that every fan of this brilliant television program should read.
R.
Jul 23, 2008 R. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1974-2002
Read around the same time as Something Wicked This Way Comes. At the time, Twilight Zone wasn't available on VHS...the only knowledge I had of it was from parents, grandparents talking about how old episodes related to present situations...or comic book adaptations found in flea market bins (4/$1 was the usual asking price). I cozied up (I believe I was struck with a bad cold, thus the book-gorging) and read this from cover to cover between servings of graham crackers and bowls of chicken soup. ...more
Eric
May 01, 2008 Eric rated it liked it
Shelves: novels
"twilight zone dissected...but sometimes out of order"

like many of the things i like today, my love of twilight zone ressurrected from my childhood fear of some key episodes. fear turned into interest and then into fanaticism. this provides any twilight zone fan more than enough reading material, although the a number of the author's episodic verdicts i do not agree with. however, thats what made much of the book a great read, seeing as how many people my age do not/have not watched an episode.
Andy
Apr 26, 2015 Andy rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2015
I read the first edition of this book when it came out way back in the day. This was before Twilight Zone: The Movie and well before the second incarnation of the series in the 80s. This second edition discusses both, although with far lesser coverage than Zicree gives for the original show.

The Twilight Zone Companion was probably the first serious attempt to write about the show and it still holds up well, but more recent books have gone into more detail. Here, for all practical purposes, when
carl  theaker
Jul 30, 2010 carl theaker rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-scary

A good overview for the Zone fan. In the late 80s before
cable was omnipresent we'd watch the reruns after the news
at 10:30pm. This book was key to figuring out what season
the episode was from, if we had seen them all, who was
that actor, etc.

With this I was able to figure out I probably saw the
original airing of 'Nightmare at 20000 feet' with the
long before Star Trek Shatner. My folks woke me up
to see it cause I liked monsters. I viewed the
terrifying gremlin behind the curtain on the
wing, and th
Stewart Mitchell
Mar 29, 2016 Stewart Mitchell rated it it was amazing
If you're a friend of mine, chances are you know that I love The Twilight Zone. It's the first thing that I can remember both blowing my mind and making me think. It's the first black-and-white show I ever saw, and it made me realize that old stuff can be cool, too. Most importantly, it was a way for me to lay around for hours with my dad whenever there was a marathon and get swept up in whatever the TV threw at us. It's a magical thing, and the best show that's ever been made.

While it would see
Alexei Russell
Aug 13, 2015 Alexei Russell rated it it was ok
Shelves: reference
Well organized and put together. The author's personal position as a Hollywood insider certainly added a degree of legitimacy to the work, in general. However, the work is seriously marred by the fact we read mostly about Marc Zicree's personal opinions and anecdotes and very little about the actual twilight zone episodes. Indeed, some episodes have no more than a paragraph devoted to them, all of which is merely the author's opinion of the episode. Very unsatisfying. This deficiency is not help ...more
Shawn
Oct 26, 2011 Shawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before the internet and Wikipedia, one had to rely on actual books for information on a particular topic (and in the age of the Internet and Wikipedia, one still - usually - has to rely on actual books for facts as opposed to opinion). This amazingly entertaining book was the be-all and end-all on everything ZONE and I read it cover to cover many, many times. If you like Serling's masterpiece, you should really scare up a copy.
Lori
Jul 18, 2009 Lori rated it liked it
Summaries of each episode, complete with casting stats and critiques of each episode. Nice light reading. I have to say that the critiques are very short and not really that interesting. Not unpleasant, either. I should say, nothing spectacular. Perhaps, this book is good as a bathroom reader?
Daniel Kukwa
Jan 04, 2011 Daniel Kukwa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: other-sf-fantasy
I don't agree with all the reviews...then again, that IS the point of literary and TV/film criticism! One of the most thorough, brilliant, and groundbreaking guides ever published. In other words, it's an emminently suitable companion for such a brilliant and groundbreaking series.
Cormacjosh
May 17, 2015 Cormacjosh rated it it was amazing
A fine companion piece to the TV Show, I read this book as I got through each consecutive episode of the program. Started September 5th, 2011, and completed on May 16th, 2015.

It is an invaluable resource for fans of The Twilight Zone, loaded down with dates, facts, and anecdotes about each episode. Zicree's opinion about each show is honest; if there's a clunker in there ( by his opinion ) he'll let you know. The only misfortune is that my copy, through a printing error is missing page 42, wh
Daisy
Jul 06, 2014 Daisy rated it it was amazing
I have been a fan of the show for many years. It's truly remarkable that a show that premiered more than half a century ago will remain relevant in this generation (and I'm confident today that it will always be). The show is about ordinary individuals in extraordinary situations.

The book is a must have for the fans. It features everything a fan would want to know about the show including the background of the show's creation and its' creator. The book includes synopses of each episodes and some
Clay
May 25, 2016 Clay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I watched the 30-minute episodes on Netflix and then read the episode description and background in the book. Great complement to the viewing odyssey.

Text is organized around the production schedule (with broadcast dates noted) within each season, so there was some page flipping to find the last-watched episode (or bookmark the next to-be-watched episode). Season 4 had hour-long episodes, so I just read the episode descriptions before starting Season 5. (I think those hour-long episodes are ava
Ted
Feb 26, 2008 Ted rated it it was amazing
Almost as freaky as the show.
D.M.
Oct 28, 2012 D.M. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been a Twilight Zone fan for longer than I can remember. When I was in junior high, I used a stack of letter stickers my granddad gave me to spell out the famous intro on my bedroom door, and painted the logo to wrap it up. So, it was a natural that I'd nab this book soon as it came out...some thirty years ago. I don't know that I'd ever read it cover-to-cover until now, and I certainly hadn't seen the entire series (repeatedly) until now (I'd have had to have tried awfully hard to accompli ...more
Jonathan
Jun 08, 2013 Jonathan rated it really liked it
In my opinion, the greatest television show of them all. Rod Serling's Twilight Zone will live on for many future generations to discover. What Zicree has accomplished with this exacting reference book is break down every TZ episode in order with casts, plots, reviews, facts, interviews etc. the BIBLE for any TZ fan. You may think you have seen every episode because they play the marathons on tv from time to time, but believe me you probably haven't! Along with episode reviews, Zicree adds notes ...more
whit
Dec 30, 2014 whit rated it really liked it
The companion by which all other companions are measured, but there are better. This is still a good reference, but some of the episode reviews are painfully brief.
F
Sep 03, 2014 F rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The basic information is good- the author's opinion and conclusions on some matters- not so much. An example of the latter is his comment on "The Whole Truth" which ends with Khrushchev in possession of a car that makes it's owner incapable of lying. Zicree declares rather snobbishly, "And the subject matter reveals that even Serling was not immune to some of the more persuasive prejudices of the day." That Khrushchev was a liar is a historical fact- unfortunately, that may have been one of his ...more
Keith Slade
Good overview of all the episodes of this TV series.
Jim
Aug 02, 2011 Jim rated it it was amazing
The beginning of the book is an excellent read of the beginnings of early screenplay writing for television and it's politics which drove Serling to use Sci-Fi (the Twilight Zone) as a safe vehicle for social, cultural and political commentary that would not pass the commercial sponsors approval. Many of these issues we still see today.
  • Doctor Who: A Celebration; Two Decades Through Time and Space
  • A Baroque Fable
  • Brave New Words: The Oxford Dictionary of Science Fiction
  • A Postillion Struck by Lightning
  • Men, Women, and Chain Saws: Gender in the Modern Horror Film
  • The Lavalite World (World of Tiers #5)
  • Twilight Zone: 19 Original Stories on the 50th Anniversary
  • Garbo
  • The Making Of Star Trek
  • The Rosicrucian Enlightenment (Routledge Classics)
  • Film Noir: An Encyclopedic Reference to the American Style