The Twilight Zone Companion

The Twilight Zone Companion

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  447 ratings  ·  45 reviews
The Twilight Zone has captivated, teased and haunted the imaginations of countless millions of viewers from its 1959 debut through its 156 subsequent episodes and many years of steady rebroadcast.

The Twilight Zone Conpanion, a 1983 American Book Award nominee, is the complete show-by-show guide to one of television's all-time greatest series. Zicree's account of the series

Paperback, Second edition, 466 pages
Published December 1st 1992 by Silman-James Press (first published 1982)

Lauren Prye
"Consider this, the next time you pick up a book for mere 'casual reading', This cautionary tale of one lone reviewer named Lauren.

Lauren is an average human being, an arbitrary book reader and sometimes blogger of fiction. Though overly eager on the topic of books, she treats grammar as something more of a whim than a hard and fast rule.

She is situated at a library just like any other. Bored of the usual fantasy fare, she took a turn off the beaten path into the shadowy unknown of black and w
Brenda
Nov 09, 2008 Brenda rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No One
This book has tons of errors. For years I thought this to be the Bible of all things Twilight Zone, but recently I acquired a book titled "Thw Twilight Zone: Unlocking the Door to a Television Classic" by Martin Grams and WOW! Someone finally gave the TV series justice.

Don't get me wrong. Zicree's book is a nice read, but no facts. "Four O'Clock" and "Mr. Garrity and the Graves" is left to one paragraph of commentary and opinion. Information regarding "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" is so w...more
Tom Harold
This book is pretty fantastic, far better than I had predicted. I thought it would amount to no more than a recounting of episodes, but there is a great deal of background concerning the show, Serling himself, and the other writers involved. Numerous episodes feature particular notes related to the writing, music, or filmography involved. This is a great resource for any fan of the show.

I began this review before I finished the book, and now that I am done my opinion has not changed. The amount...more
Conal Cochran
The Twilight Zone was one of my gateway drugs into appreciation of the horror genre, and back when I was getting into it, I read this book dozens of times. The only problem with the book is that the quality sort of oscillates depending on the author's interests, and not necessarily with the importance of the episode--thus something seminal like "Occurrence at Owl Creek" gets the shaft.

Still, it's an engaging and well-illustrated resource, and is especially good when talking about the early days...more
Trisha Drape
This is the most worn-out book I own; it is referred to often throughout the years, and I actually have read it cover to cover. Most importantly, it was essential in my quest for finding and watching every single Twilight Zone episode every aired. It took a few years, but I accomplished the goal a year ago (a strange and misunderstood goal, I know). But the various writers who contributed to The Twilight Zone and, of course, Rod Serling, are among the most creative storytellers ever.
CaliGirlRae
Jul 04, 2009 CaliGirlRae rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Twilight Zone fans
One of my favorite reference guide for one of my fave spec antho shows of all time. I love that this shows and describes all the episodes including the opening and closing narration by Serling. I wish there was more objective commentary and behind the scenes as the author tends to give his opinion a bit too much (which shifts it away from a true companion guide). But all in all a good resource that every T-Zone fan should have on their shelf.
Evan
My grandfather gave me this book, too. I used to watch The Twilight Zone when i would visit him and drink coke and eat toast and bread & butter sandwiches. I didn't read it for a few years (seems to be a running theme), but not for as long. Now i own the entire DVD collection and it's one of my favorite TV shows, ever. Thanks grandpa!
Dottie
Who was that in the episode when...? When was that episode on? Where does that episode fit into the whole? What was that episode called? These answers and the answers to most questions on this landmark series will be found here.
Lou Salvaggio
Good to just rifle through. Just saw and episode and what to know if that dashing young buck was a youthful Robert Duvall? Just whip out this book...that's what I did. Best part is I found this in the trash by my job.
John
"You're travelling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind; a journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead -- your next stop, the Twilight Zone!"
Rod Serling.

It was fun to revisit "The Twilight Zone" and learn about the characters and background that went into each of the 156 episodes. "The Twilight Zone" was Rod Serling's brilliant creation which persuasively played on human fears, prejudices and dream...more
R.
Read around the same time as Something Wicked This Way Comes. At the time, Twilight Zone wasn't available on VHS...the only knowledge I had of it was from parents, grandparents talking about how old episodes related to present situations...or comic book adaptations found in flea market bins (4/$1 was the usual asking price). I cozied up (I believe I was struck with a bad cold, thus the book-gorging) and read this from cover to cover between servings of graham crackers and bowls of chicken soup....more
Eric
May 01, 2008 Eric rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: novels
"twilight zone dissected...but sometimes out of order"

like many of the things i like today, my love of twilight zone ressurrected from my childhood fear of some key episodes. fear turned into interest and then into fanaticism. this provides any twilight zone fan more than enough reading material, although the a number of the author's episodic verdicts i do not agree with. however, thats what made much of the book a great read, seeing as how many people my age do not/have not watched an episode....more
carl  theaker

A good overview for the Zone fan. In the late 80s before
cable was omnipresent we'd watch the reruns after the news
at 10:30pm. This book was key to figuring out what season
the episode was from, if we had seen them all, who was
that actor, etc.

With this I was able to figure out I probably saw the
original airing of 'Nightmare at 20000 feet' with the
long before Star Trek Shatner. My folks woke me up
to see it cause I liked monsters. I viewed the
terrifying gremlin behind the curtain on the
wing, and th...more
Shawn
Before the internet and Wikipedia, one had to rely on actual books for information on a particular topic (and in the age of the Internet and Wikipedia, one still - usually - has to rely on actual books for facts as opposed to opinion). This amazingly entertaining book was the be-all and end-all on everything ZONE and I read it cover to cover many, many times. If you like Serling's masterpiece, you should really scare up a copy.
Aaron
Back in the early 80s I lived in a house with some friends and we enjoyed many late evenings watching “The Zone.” One of my roomies had this book and it became a fixture during those hazy beer & pizza nights. A great reference on individual episodes, it also contains a lot of background information on the actors. I recently found the audiobook version and so I decided to give it another “read.”

Each episodic chapter begins with Rod Serling’s opening narration, a brief synopsis of that episode...more
Lori
Summaries of each episode, complete with casting stats and critiques of each episode. Nice light reading. I have to say that the critiques are very short and not really that interesting. Not unpleasant, either. I should say, nothing spectacular. Perhaps, this book is good as a bathroom reader?
Daniel Kukwa
I don't agree with all the reviews...then again, that IS the point of literary and TV/film criticism! One of the most thorough, brilliant, and groundbreaking guides ever published. In other words, it's an emminently suitable companion for such a brilliant and groundbreaking series.
Daisy
I have been a fan of the show for many years. It's truly remarkable that a show that premiered more than half a century ago will remain relevant in this generation (and I'm confident today that it will always be). The show is about ordinary individuals in extraordinary situations.

The book is a must have for the fans. It features everything a fan would want to know about the show including the background of the show's creation and its' creator. The book includes synopses of each episodes and some...more
Ted
Almost as freaky as the show.
D.M.
I've been a Twilight Zone fan for longer than I can remember. When I was in junior high, I used a stack of letter stickers my granddad gave me to spell out the famous intro on my bedroom door, and painted the logo to wrap it up. So, it was a natural that I'd nab this book soon as it came out...some thirty years ago. I don't know that I'd ever read it cover-to-cover until now, and I certainly hadn't seen the entire series (repeatedly) until now (I'd have had to have tried awfully hard to accompli...more
Jonathan
In my opinion, the greatest television show of them all. Rod Serling's Twilight Zone will live on for many future generations to discover. What Zicree has accomplished with this exacting reference book is break down every TZ episode in order with casts, plots, reviews, facts, interviews etc. the BIBLE for any TZ fan. You may think you have seen every episode because they play the marathons on tv from time to time, but believe me you probably haven't! Along with episode reviews, Zicree adds notes...more
Jacksoncompound
The basic information is good- the author's opinion and conclusions on some matters- not so much. An example of the latter is his comment on "The Whole Truth" which ends with Khrushchev in possession of a car that makes it's owner incapable of lying. Zicree declares rather snobbishly, "And the subject matter reveals that even Serling was not immune to some of the more persuasive prejudices of the day." That Khrushchev was a liar is a historical fact- unfortunately, that may have been one of his...more
Jim
The beginning of the book is an excellent read of the beginnings of early screenplay writing for television and it's politics which drove Serling to use Sci-Fi (the Twilight Zone) as a safe vehicle for social, cultural and political commentary that would not pass the commercial sponsors approval. Many of these issues we still see today.
Emilie
Amazing book. Have been a TZ fan for so long. My brother lent me his copy of this & I'm astounded what a comprehensive review this is of all TZ episodes. If you like Twilight Zone, you must have this book. (I'm keeping my brother's....he can get another...)
AmblingBooks
Aug 17, 2012 AmblingBooks marked it as to-read
"�a book that practically reads like a short story collection�"�Washington Post

Listen to The Twilight Zone Companion on your iPhone, desktop, or smartphone.
Brent
This was fun. Unfortunatly I have to return it to the library before I finished, because I can read only about the shows I have seen. I hate spoilers. I have, been watching the shows on Netflix lately, so I'm sure I'll have to finish this some day.
Hannah
Anything about the Twilight Zone, and I'm there. I love getting the details behind every episode and how they were written and filmed, and of course all of Rod's impeccable introductions. Recommended to any Twilight Zone fanatic!
Joey Cruz
THE book for any fan of The Twilight Zone or television history. Every single episode of the original series is explored in detail, as well as the projects that gave Rod Serling the clout to make the series.
Allin KHG
intresting for the information on the individual episode and production. however some seem really lacking. the pieces at the beginning and end of the book seem more like padding than actual content.
Rob
Indispensable for any TZ fan. If even for the printed versions of Rod's opening and closings alone. I still get chills, hearing his voice in my head, when I read some of them.
  • Documentary: A History of the Non-Fiction Film
  • Stephen King: The Art of Darkness
  • Stories from the Twilight Zone
  • Garbo
  • The New York Public Library Desk Reference
  • The Rosicrucian Enlightenment (Routledge Classics)
  • The Making Of Star Trek
  • The Lavalite World (World of Tiers #5)
  • Alfred Hitchcock: A Life in Darkness and Light
  • The Bradbury Report
  • The Portable Twentieth-Century Russian Reader
  • The Ecstasy of Communication (Semiotext(e) / Foreign Agents)
  • The Wiz Biz (Wiz, #1-2)
Magic Time (Magic Time #1) Angelfire (Magic Time #2) Ghostlands (Magic Time #3) Magic Time: Ghostlands Cabinet of Curiosities: My Notebooks, Collections, and Other Obsessions