Start by marking “The Dolphin Way: A Parent's Guide to Raising Healthy, Happy, and Motivated Kids, Without Turning Into a Tiger” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  25 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews

Dr. Shimi Kang is like the rest of us: A busy parent raising three children in anuncertain world, worried about her kids’ place in a future marked by globalization,technological change, and fierce competition.But there are also differences. Dr. Kang entered medical school at the age of nineteenand completed her research fellowship at Harvard, despite the fact that her moth
Published April 15th 2014 by Viking (first published April 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Dolphin Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dolphin Way

Apr 11, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing
In her book, Kang offers sound research and examples from her own life or practice as medical director for Child and Youth Mental Health for Vancouver to support her idea that parents need to be more like dolphins.

Kang says, “The dolphin parenting model is about guiding rather than directing, encouraging rather than instructing and teaching by example.” Further, she says that the “dolphin way of life is about emphasizing the importance of play, exploration, social bonds, altruism, contribution
Jordana
Full review to come...Not your typical parenting book by any means– The Dolphin Way reads more like a study in psychology with tips and tricks than your every-day-run-of-the-mill “self-help book”. While some of her advice and focus is more applicable to different age groups than where I am as a parent at the moment (a toddler and one in-utero vs. school-aged kids), much of Kang’s insight and guidance is fascinating and really “clicks” for every day behaviours and habits.

Kang reminds us that we a
Chris
Jul 21, 2014 Chris rated it it was amazing
As I read, I found myself saying to myself (in my head) that's me or that's what I want to do.

The book is full of great stories to make you think about how you parent and had me thinking of ways I want to change. Throughout I was reminded of both my childhood and how I parent. The beauty of this book is Dr. Kang provides prescriptions on what you can do.

A couple of my favorites included:
Playing with Lego
Change the Speaking/Listening Ratio
Ask Permission Before Giving Advice
A major learning for m
Crystal
A great book. Lots of interesting information.

As a whole, it reminded me of a response paper to the Tiger parenting approach. The first part is about why tiger parenting is not a good approach, and the second half is about how to be a dolphin parent and why is is a good approach.

I really liked the fact that there was a significant portion dedicated to parenting teens, which I find is often lacking in parenting books (unless they are targeting teens).
Kandace Brown
Oct 09, 2015 Kandace Brown rated it really liked it
Found this book very interesting & enjoyable to read. It helped me realize its ok that I don't have to put my kids into programs or events like other parents do. I have 3 kids & was trying to balance working full time as well as putting the kids in activities like all of our peers. After learning to listen to what they really want to do, I found they were just as happy going for a walk or hike at the end of the day opposed to being rushed off to soccer or gymnastics. A lot of points in ...more
Kate
Jun 17, 2015 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-books
I really liked this book. Not pushy or preachy at all, it guides you towards a more open and intuitive idea of parenting. I love the emphasis on promoting and developing your child's CQ (creativity, critical thinking, collaboration, and communication), and really enjoyed the simple prescriptions to help move you towards the dolphin parenting style. Definitely one to keep on the shelf as a reference as my little one grows.
Jack
Dec 19, 2014 Jack rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
The first few chapters were good, but the remainder of book was repetitive and failed to cite much new research. The dolphin analogy started to grate on me after a while. Most animals "raise" their children to be independent, and successful, not just dolphins.
Jolene
Apr 24, 2015 Jolene rated it it was amazing
I loved it! It was pretty intuitive. Let kids play. Allow them to make mistakes. Don't hover. Don't over schedule activities. Eat as a family. They need this to grow into self-motivated, creative, self-sufficient, happy adults.
Nicole
Nov 18, 2014 Nicole rated it really liked it
Interesting perspective on raising children. Lots of books like this out there, but this one is good to add to the mix, especially following all the publicity about 'tiger moms'!
Chris W
Jul 05, 2014 Chris W is currently reading it
Firstreads

This book looks like a great new perspective on parenting. From the introduction it seems like Dr Kang is really qualified and understands what she's talking about.
Erna
Aug 22, 2014 Erna rated it really liked it
Great read but repetitive in parts.
Keltieduggan Duggan
Keltieduggan Duggan rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2015
Erika
Erika rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2016
Trisha
Trisha rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2015
Jennifer Barolet
Jennifer Barolet rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2015
Shannon Fleming
Shannon Fleming rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2015
Colleen
Colleen rated it liked it
May 20, 2014
Katherine
Katherine rated it it was ok
Aug 02, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was ok
May 30, 2015
Keeratsidhu
Keeratsidhu rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2016
Jordan
Jordan rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2015
Kristin
Kristin rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2014
Siena
Siena rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2015
Kathie
Kathie rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2015
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2015
Stephanie Gioia
Apr 20, 2015 Stephanie Gioia rated it really liked it
Great read...agree that it gets repetitive, but good nonetheless.
Garth Bishop
Garth Bishop marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2013
Bluestockingir♐
Bluestockingir♐ marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Adriana
Adriana marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Margbar11
Margbar11 marked it as to-read
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Karen Bainbridge
Karen Bainbridge marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Daryl Moad
Daryl Moad marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Alisha
Alisha marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Brandi Conedera
Brandi Conedera marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Jazz
Jazz marked it as to-read
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Siufong
Siufong marked it as to-read
Sylvie
Sylvie marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Elise
Elise is currently reading it
May 25, 2014
Namira
Namira marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Melitta Cross
Melitta Cross marked it as to-read
Meaghan Maguire
Meaghan Maguire marked it as to-read
Terri Davidson
Terri Davidson marked it as to-read
Mary M
Mary M marked it as to-read
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Nicole Thompson
Nicole Thompson marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
BONNIE Squires
BONNIE Squires marked it as to-read
Tasha Hart
Tasha Hart marked it as to-read
Ngaio
Ngaio marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Michelle Mason
Michelle Mason marked it as to-read
Silvia Demmy
Silvia Demmy marked it as to-read
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014