Start by marking “Faust 2.0 (Morton & Mitchell #1)” as Want to Read:
Faust 2.0 (Morton & Mitchell #1)

Faust 2.0 (Morton & Mitchell #1)

A new entity is born into the internet.

Is it the rebirth of an ancient evil in a new realm? Or something much worse?

A sexy looking avatar grants wishes for people across the web, but nothing is truly free, and for those who accept, what price must be paid?

Sarah Mitchell must discover the truth of this creature and stop it while it can still be stopped, but why is a mysteri
Published August 15th 2013 (first published May 16th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Faust 2.0, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faust 2.0

Bob Milne
Sep 25, 2014 Bob Milne rated it liked it
Next, perhaps, to Dickens' Scrooge, Goethe's Faust is arguably the most influential character in English literature. Often imitated, re-imagined, parodied, and refuted, he appears as both a character and as a theme in countless works. In fact, many readers are far more familiar with the contemporary retellings than either Goethe's original work or Christopher Marlowe's more well-known play, Dr. Faustus.

Given that long history, readers can be excused for wondering if there's really anything new t
Lit Bug
Impeccable.

It has become one of my favorite cyber-mystery novels. A far cry from the stock-thrillers which unabashedly trail behind clichéd plots and characters and situations, Brookes has penned a very different kind of work that is reminiscent of Philip K. Dick’s themes with astounding clarity of thought and a lucid, impeccable, swift and precise narration. This work is worth more than it costs.

The plot conception is fantastic, as well as challenging – that of a virtual entity born into the In
Saffron Bryant
Oct 29, 2013 Saffron Bryant rated it really liked it
I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I have to say, this book was pretty incredible. Considering the actual ‘science fiction’ element was pretty light I still really like this one and got completely sucked in.

The main focus of the story is on a few different characters, their motivations, and the choices they make. The author has done a tremendous job of getting inside the heads of these characters, some of whom are not the nicest people around.

The basic premise is th
Jessica
Aug 20, 2013 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series-to-finish
This is the first book in a while which has really got me hooked. I mean, I love reading, and I get into books easily, but this was something else. Morning, noon and night I was reading this book even if I only had time to read a page at a time. This sci-fi novel doesn't constrain itself to the protagonists and shadowy side characters. The introduction of characters to the novel who then self destruct with the help of Misty, the powerful A.I. whose hate for humanity knows no bounds, is a welcome ...more
Gabriel Boutros
Aug 27, 2013 Gabriel Boutros rated it really liked it
Michael Brookes' Faust 2.0 tells of an entity that comes to life inside the giant web that connects all of humanity's computers. Is it a newly-born Artificial Intelligence, or is it an even more ancient, malevolent entity? Either way, among it's first conscious thoughts is a realization that it hates humans, although the reasons for this hatred are not as clearly explained as they could be. The idea of intelligent computers turning against their human creators is certainly not new in fiction, ...more
Justin
Jul 07, 2013 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I went into this book not really knowing what to expect. I don’t read much science fiction type books so this was a delightful change for me. First off let me get out the one thing I didn’t like about the book, the computer jargon. While I am slightly familiar with computers even I found myself confused with all the talk. I very much enjoyed this book. The book tells of an entity which we find out is a very sneaky computer virus who is looking to prey on humans. The entity then searches out five ...more
Kath Middleton
Sep 02, 2013 Kath Middleton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A being, an entity, springs painfully into self-awareness. It inhabits, infests, the internet. It detests humanity and seeks to influence people to greed, murder and acts of total selfishness. It takes the form of an attractive female avatar and promises its victims their deepest desires. There will be a pay-back, but this will be something within their power to give. Some people are on to it, and a group of internet security specialists (and one sad hacker) manage to slow its progress. Why is ...more
Kath Middleton
Sep 02, 2013 Kath Middleton rated it it was amazing
L.F. Falconer
Sep 14, 2013 L.F. Falconer rated it really liked it
An interesting, modern take on an ancient tale. I often imagine that the computer equipment I deal with on a daily basis is possessed by a woman with a bad case of PMS, so I, personally, found the fact that the internet demon within these pages had adopted a female persona to be quite satisfying. And for those of us already leery of advanced technology, the premise behind this story is absolutely frightening.

Brookes proves his talent by weaving a multifarious web of mystery, suspense, and terror
Monica
Sep 13, 2013 Monica rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
An A.I. creates itself and becomes alive. As it becomes aware, it determines itself to be a determine; humans are its enemy; and it is determined to destroy humankind.

Aside from the spacing and spelling errors which are probably due to the fact I was reading an Advanced Reading Copy, the plot is well written and easy to follow allowing for suspension of disbelief for the narrative details.

The characters and dialogue are authentic and helpful for both character and story development.

Action is pre
Cate
This is the first book in the Morton and Mitchell series, and if you are overly sensitive or find reading about real news issues translated into fiction, you may want to give this novel a pass. . Also if you are a firm believer that all the ills of the world are committed by people who play video/online games and read ‘the wrong kind of book’ you may want to consider not picking this up.

The character developments in this novel are phenomenal; starting with the ‘birth’ of the entity mentioned in
Theresa Cutts
Nov 06, 2013 Theresa Cutts rated it really liked it
I was lucky enough to win a copy of this book in a Goodreads Giveaway. I have read Michael Brookes' other books and really enjoyed them.

Being aware that this was a slightly different topic to The Cult of Me and Conversations in the Abyss I was not sure if it would appeal. I shouldn't have worried, initially wary of all the computer programming speak, I very quickly got into the story. I am sure if you understand the jargon, it makes it an even more enjoyable read, but in no way did it detract fr
Rebecca
Nov 19, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review and here it is. This book was brilliant. Ok, ok, so sure, I may not have understood half the technical jargon used but it sounded plausible to the point where I had little trouble believing that the damage caused could really happen. That was enough for me.

In Faust 2.0, an intelligence (I won't say what) is wielding the internet like a claymore and no one is safe! You can't hide from technology. It's everywhere, everyone uses i
Paul Martin
Jul 22, 2014 Paul Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
This is the first book in the series Mitchell & Morton by Michael Brookes. The story is based on a really interesting premise, that is realistically portrayed by the author.
The characters are interesting and well defined. Maybe the main character, Sarah, in a few instances falls in Hollywood stereotypes; however they don't stand out breaking the flow of the book. It is the first book, so hopefully we will get to know Sarah better on the next installment and the mysterious Morton.
The secondar
Kshitij
Aug 27, 2014 Kshitij rated it really liked it
Faust 2.0 is an interesting horror and Sci-fi thriller about a lady granting wishes on internet, and asking for deadly favours in return. The plot is well developed, so are the characters. Starting the book, we’re introduced to several people all flawed and in desperate need/desire of something, and that’s when they get hooked to this technical entity, Misty Felice. At times the story is too technical to follow, but the author did well make it as lucid as it can be. Anyway, software buffs and ...more
Kristen
May 25, 2013 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mr Brookes certainly knows how to write a book that is a bit different.
Someone said that it is a horror story, but I don't feel it belongs to that genre. Certainly there are some gruesome things in it but I didn't find it scary. This is a story about cyber space, but it is not entirely science fiction. There is investigation and detection but it is not simply a thriller.
There should be a genre for CRACKING GOOD READ. This book would surely fit in here.
Looking forward to the next!
Sheri
Aug 15, 2013 Sheri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Faust 2.0 (Morton & Mitchell #1) by Michael Brookes

A beautiful avatar grants wishes for people through the internet, but what is her intent? What happens if your wish will come true ? Sarah Mitchell is set on uncovering the truth and to stop the avatar before it is too late.

A fast paced nail biter that kept me up late into the night. I would love to read more in this series.
Phillip Berrie
Sep 20, 2013 Phillip Berrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting take on emergent intelligence with an AI with decidedly antisocial (demonic in fact) tendencies being spawned on the internet. And with the limitations of current technology forcing the AI to have to resort to bargaining with the people to reach its goals the connection to the name 'Faust' in the title is well deserved.

Pro: The computing references used in the story and the way the technology was used by both sides equally gave the story a strong air of authority, especia
Frenchie
Dec 29, 2013 Frenchie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy, techno thriller, suspense lovers
Recommended to Frenchie by: I read good reviews.
Faust 2.0 is the first book in the series called Morton and Mitchell. Which is good because I have really enjoyed it and I wanted to read more. Except, it ended too soon. So now I will have to wait ofr book 2 to come out. I would say it is a techno action thriller.
But you do not have to be a tech savvy to read it. I am not, there might be a few things I did not understand along the way, but they do not take anything from the story. It is so well written that you just get the meaning by carrying
SantaFlash
Aug 13, 2015 SantaFlash rated it really liked it
My first Brookes' book was The Cult of Me, which is another good read written by Michael Brookes.

Once again, I wasn't disappointed. His writing and story telling is entertaining.

Faust 2.0 is the story of a malevolent entity working behind an avatar/A.I. Misty is a well endowed female who targets specific individuals, tempting each with promises, encouraging them to make pacts. A man desperate for something more than empty sex. A boy who is tired of being bullied daily. Though equally tempted and
books are love
I was graciously given this book by the author for a honest review via the goodreads making connections group. I would give it a 3.5 only because of one area that made me uncomfortable.

Pushing the ideas of technology to show the perils of going to far with the internet and what may happen is what the book reveals. It is a interesting read. The thriller is one that will keep you on your toes wondering how it all fits together and where it will go from there.

Sarah Mitchell is a nice heroine who in
Marko
Jun 26, 2013 Marko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very nice sci-fi thriller with great central characters. For a male author, Michael Brookes makes the female hero, Sarah Mitchell, very believable (but since I'm also a male, I'll refrain from saying more than that ;) ). Dan Emmet is another character that we spend a lot of time with and he is also described in a way that makes you really know him as a person, with all his hopes and weaknesses.

These characters - and many others - are put through an ordeal as a new entity is born in the Interne
Nav Logan
Sep 20, 2014 Nav Logan rated it it was amazing
Faust 2.0 - An Unexpected Delight

Faust 2.0 was indeed an unexpected delight. Having read a good few of the authors drabbles, I had anticipated enjoying the book, but the actual story still came as a surprise. From looking at the book cover and reading the blurb, I had anticipated something more science fiction. Instead, what I found was a really excellent modern day thriller.
The book has excellent characters, a great plot and a steady pace that always leaves you hungry for more. Despite my busy
Trev Twinem
Dec 14, 2013 Trev Twinem rated it did not like it
This was poorly written rubbish...think I'm being unfair?...well a book that has the audacity to compare itself to Needful Things by Stephen King stands to be ridiculed if it does not live up to its bold assertions!! here is a short example..."Speech became too much for her, she only moaned and shook her head. Dave put his arm around her. "I'm afraid D.I.Reynolds didn't make it. I'm very sorry." That to me is rather like a scene from a soap opera and I do wonder at all those top star reviews! ...more
Cathy
Nov 19, 2014 Cathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading Faust 2.0. It's set in a high-tech world far outside my personal experience but it's been written about so well that it's comprehensible and plausible.
What Michael Brookes does so well is give you a proposition in the opening of the book which is off the scale of fantastical in such a way that you totally believe it.
I read Faust 2.0 more-or-less straight through in one go. The plot moves forward strongly and the reader is rapidly page-turning to find out what's coming ne
A.K. Michaels
Mar 13, 2014 A.K. Michaels rated it it was amazing
This book was quite creepy and scary as it makes you think just about what MAY be possible with technology. The characters were a mix mash of good, sleazy, greedy and downright evil. I would've liked to give it a 4.5 as in places I found it hard to follow the tech jargon, but anyone who knows me knows I'm useless in that department so that's just me. I liked the female lead, mainly as she's flawed - like the rest of us - and can go and drink far too much and do things she maybe shouldn't - again ...more
Anthony Brown
Feb 04, 2014 Anthony Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michael Brookes' Faust 2.0 is a well-crafted, highly entertaining Science Fiction story which very informatively and creatively portrays an extremely powerful and destructive living computer. Mr. Brookes appears to possess great expertise in information technology, a contribution lending credibility to the aforementioned premise.

It stirred excitement as various interesting characters became embroiled in the A.I.'s intricate machinations, which made for a suspenseful, compelling read. Also notewo
Lexie Conyngham
Mar 23, 2015 Lexie Conyngham rated it it was amazing
A modern day multiple Faust, for after all demons have access to the Internet, too. Conspiracy theorists and paranoid readers will have lots to frighten them here! The ending is tantalising and I hope we're going to see more of the poor heroine, even though that will likely mean she will have to suffer even more.

I particularly enjoyed the pace of this book, for the suspense seemed to come in waves rather than constantly increasing.
Deb
Jun 09, 2013 Deb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I happened upon this book as I was exploring goodreads forums. What a great find!

Imagine artificial intelligence with emotion. The horror of this story is the hatred the AI entity had for humans and the damage it was able to inflict through technology.

I enjoyed Mr. Brookes writing style - action, suspense and an unexpected twist at the end. Looking forward to future stories of Morton & Mitchell.
Brandon Luffman
Dec 26, 2014 Brandon Luffman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now this was a fun little book! As a hobbyist programmer and general geek, I found the premise of Faust 2.0 interesting from the outset. The story didn't disappoint. It was amusing to see the many ways our modern connected world could be used against the protagonists. Well written and with a good pace, I really enjoyed this book. Looking forward to more in the series.
Horror Aficionados : Faust 2.0 109 294 Feb 20, 2016 03:58AM
Sci-fi and Heroic...: Faust 2.0 48 121 Jun 30, 2015 05:18AM
Goodreads Authors...: Faust 2.0 71 299 Jun 30, 2015 05:17AM
Contemporary Brit...: Faust 2.0 11 12 Feb 14, 2014 05:50AM
Kindle Deals: Faust 2.0 99c Sale 1 2 Jul 02, 2013 02:21AM
Making Connections: 1310. - FAUST 2.0 by Michael Brookes 12 29 Jun 23, 2013 06:12AM
Modern Good Reads: R4R: Faust 2.0 2 18 Jun 11, 2013 07:36AM
  • Point Apocalypse
  • Blood Coins, Vol. 1 (The Judas Chronicles, #1-3)
  • The Guardians of Karma
  • Poisoned Waters
  • Houston, Houston, Do You Read?
  • The Bohr Maker
  • Exsanguinate (World of Blood, #1)
  • A Land without Jasmine
  • Farewell Horizontal
  • Hamfist Over The Trail
  • The Death Trip
  • Infoquake (Jump 225 , #1)
  • Virtual Girl
  • The Legend of Shark Island (The Book of the Delmar #1)
  • Joe After Maya
  • The Web
  • Clone Hunter (Clone Rebellion Chronicles)
  • Canis Major
Michael Brookes is an Executive Producer with a leading UK games developer. Working in games and writing are two of his life passions and he considers himself fortunate to be able to indulge them both. He lives in the east of England, enjoying starry skies in the flattest part of the country. When not working or writing he can sometimes be found sleeping. Which is good as that is where many good ...more
More about Michael Brookes...