Start by marking “The Princess Tales, Volume I (The Fairy's Mistake, The Princess Test, Princess Sonora and the Long Sleep)” as Want to Read:

The Princess Tales, Volume I (The Princess Tales #1-3)

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  1,657 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
Once upon a time...A kind sister and a cruel one. A charming prince. A spiteful fairy. A hundred-year snooze. A pea under a pile of mattresses. A kiss.

All the familiar ingredients, but why is the punished sister happy? Where did that extra prince come from, and what does a flock of balding sheep or a fleck of tuna in a chocolate cake have to do with anything?

Gail Carson Le
Published December 1st 2003 by HarperTrophy (first published December 31st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Princess Tales, Volume I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Princess Tales, Volume I

Karly *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)*
My Musings on The Princess Tales, Volume I.

I should really know better by now than to read a second book by a different writer within a genre in succession. I should. This compilation is cute, don't get me wrong, but after reading Kontis' Enchanted it was a bit like having a scoop of vanilla ice cream after a scoop of strawberry lemonade sorbet.... still tasty but no comparison, really.

Also, if you haven't tried it, Strawberry Lemonade sorbet is delectable!!

In this collection Levine takes tradi
Hannah
Jan 02, 2017 Hannah rated it really liked it
I think "The Princess Tales" is so nice! Three stories in one book. Fairies making mistakes, Princesses that want to marry boys who aren't princes, people who fall asleep. It's a good book. If you like princess books, you should read this. I enjoyed these stories. It's a cute book. I don't have a favorite story. They're all my favorite. I like that the king makes challenges for people to pass. I liked the book so I got volume 2. It's really good. I loved all the stories.
Victoria Budkey
Feb 06, 2017 Victoria Budkey rated it it was amazing
I am convinced that GCL couldn't write poorly if she TRIED.
Lesley
Sep 18, 2016 Lesley rated it liked it
Yes, these are stories for children, but I still enjoyed them. These three stories are cute, clever, and humorous retellings of classic fairy tales. They aren't as intricate or compelling as Levine's novels (it's impossible to beat The Two Princesses of Bamarre in my opinion), but they are fun and quick to read.
R.G.
Feb 24, 2014 R.G. rated it it was amazing
There are actually 2 volumes, 3 short stories each, and then there’s the option where you can buy each tale individually… either way they’re wonderful and everyone should have these books… some are a retelling of just one fairy tale… while others have several all swirled into one… but each of them takes the most peculiar look at these fairy tales we thought we knew so well and after reading you’ll never be able to think of them the same way again… and yes these are just young readers books… they ...more
Leah
Dec 13, 2011 Leah rated it really liked it
My love affair with fairy tales isn't something new, but it was pretty much comatose for a good 10 years. Then, in 2007, I selected "Myth and Fairy Tales" as one of my electives in college and the affair was transformed into a bona fide relationship. That class, its textbooks, and the papers I had to write were lightning bolts of inspiration. And they helped me hear my muse for the first time in years.

So I selected Princess Tales purely on the fairy tale aspect, not knowing its author, while bro
Leslie Lamb
Feb 09, 2014 Leslie Lamb rated it really liked it
They all are just fun, quick reads. One is about princess Sonora and how she sleeps for 100 years. I like that when the prince finds her, she was not all pretty and taken care of, but she was covered in dust and spider webs.
Another one is the Princess and the pea. She is picky because she is delicate and gets sick easily. So when the king makes a difficult test to see which Princess should marry his son, it's easy for her.
Then there is a story of how one twin is good and kind and is rewarded by
Rae
Jul 13, 2011 Rae rated it liked it
This book has the first three of 6 Princess Tales (you can read them in single books about 100 pages each or in volumes I and II). It took me the first one to get used to the style--they weren't what I expected. (I didn't like the first two as well.) But, I decided to see how the rest turned out.

Levine takes regular fairy tales, but the retellings are not regular at all! They're funny, unpredictable, and a delightful read. My favorite was #3, Princess Sonora and the Long Sleep. I think I'll rea
Jul 20, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
This is just a cute little fairytale book. This book wasn't written nearly as well as I thought it would be, but that might be because it's a book for younger kids, so written easier so they can understand it. The story lines are of course very cheesy, but I feel like the events that happen inside each story aren't completely connected so that they are smoothly read in your mind. At the end of each story, there is much more explaining, stuff that wasn't explained in the middle of the story while ...more
Aubreyy
Oct 04, 2015 Aubreyy rated it it was amazing
I think this mixture of fairy tale stories were amazing and this book was impossible to put down. As a three story novel its like reading three different books. The first story is very funny and odd. The next two stories are very familiar sounding if you have ever heard of princess and the pea or Sleeping Beauty. Levine does a great job in creating distinctive characters. These stories are not just funny the are also very exciting. I recommend this book for anyone ages 8 to adult, if you like fa ...more
Jen
Mar 20, 2013 Jen rated it really liked it
Loved the first tale, The Fairy's Mistake. It's a cute version of the Diamonds and Toads fairy tale.

The second tale, The Princess Test, is based on The Princess and the Pea. This was a good version. I did't love that Lorelei is so accident-prone or that her guardian wanted to kill her, but I found the creativity of the princess tests enjoyable.

Princess Sonora and the Long Sleep is a fun tale that gives both the prince and princess some much-needed character and quirks as compared to some other S
Annika
Mar 14, 2012 Annika rated it it was ok
Shelves: physically-owned
a total waste of $7.5. I remember I used my own money to buy this, way back when I was just a small child. I got ripped off, I tell ya. the edition I got was a crappy one therefore ruining my reading experience. one minute, it was telling a story about a sleeping princess then the next about a frog something something. ugh.

but I bet reading this would've been sweet (if I were still 9 but I'm not anymore so...)
Heidi
Nov 09, 2011 Heidi rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This was a very fast read. I finished it in about two hours. It had three short stories in it, all classic fairy tales with Levine's personal twist. I didn't recognize the story the first was based on but the second was the Princess and the Pea and the last was Sleeping Beauty. It was pretty cute but was a one-time read only for me. Probably because it is written for a child. :) I'd say third to fifth grade would love it. If you like fairy tales I'd say this is one to check out.
Hermione Daguin
Jun 20, 2015 Hermione Daguin rated it it was amazing
This is so adorable. I love Levine's sense of humor. I just love the way she turned those classic fairy tales into lovable, comical stories. Her retelling of the sleeping beauty is just everything. It makes much more sense than the original (if fairy tales actually made sense). I don't even feel guilty to be reading children's book at eighteen years of age. It's like a break from all the grown-up books I've been stuck to lately, easier words and less thoughts as to what's happening here.
Carson
All incredibly lovely. Reread some of the series this year and they hold up to the memories I have of them from my mother reading them to me, using all different voices for each character as I know have imprinted in my brain and replay when even flipping through the books in this series.
I can still remember my mother singing the song found in The Fairy's Mistake, which is a song that is about the month a bride will marry.
Lindsay
J398.2 LEVINE - mixed up fairy tales, princesses, humor
3 of Levine's classic fairy tales turned on their ear. Includes the Fairy's Mistake (Diamonds and Toads), The Princess Test (The Princess and the Pea), and Princess Sonora and the Long Sleep (Sleeping Beauty). Easy enough to read. 9+
Jeanette
Feb 26, 2011 Jeanette rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
Wonderful children's fairy tale book. It has three cute stories inside. The Fairy's Mistake, The Princess Test, and Princess Sonora and the Long Sleep. The last two were rewrites of Princess and the Pea and Sleeping Beauty. The first was more unique (to me). Really cute stories for a read aloud.
Crystal Spearing
Dec 07, 2010 Crystal Spearing rated it really liked it
This was a quick read for me but it took me back to my childhood. This was a fun read and sometimes we all need that so I chose this book because I went through my clost and found it laying around. The theme of flashback, and hope came up a couple of times. This is a nice story and I could read it all the time just for fun.
Bridget
Sep 07, 2015 Bridget rated it really liked it
I think the part of these books that I like the most is the way the moral of the story is shifted. Instead of "good will be rewarded" for a re-telling of the good sister that had diamonds fall out of her mouth and the bad sister that had bugs and snakes fall out of her mouth, the moral of the story is that sometimes actions have unintended consequences.
Shauna
Mar 28, 2011 Shauna rated it liked it
Three fairy tales (The Fairy's Mistake, The Princess Test, and Princess Sonora and the Long Sleep) that were cute and silly twists of traditional fairy tale stories (sometimes a bit mixed together, and always with Levine's quirky touch). I found them a bit simplistic and underwhelming here, but nice nonetheless.
Kara
Feb 09, 2008 Kara rated it really liked it
I really like Gail Carson Levine's retelling of some familiar fairy tales. She has such a great sense of humor. These stories are easy reads. If you just want to spend an hour with a book, these are perfect. Plus I think they are fun way to introduce a new generation to fairy tales.
Meghan
Sep 11, 2008 Meghan rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, pre-teen
These were short, funny, and entertaining. I would't call them great works, but they were definitely enjoyable. They were no where near as good as Ella Enchanted and Fairest, but I think these were written for a younger age group. But if you are looking for a short, humorous read, these are great.
Debbie
Mar 20, 2014 Debbie rated it really liked it
This was an interesting collection of princess tales. There are fairies and princesses in each story, but some of the princesses and even the princes aren't what would be thought of as such. These tales have twists to them, and the stories are very entertaining. I really liked this collection.
Mar 14, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
2.5 - Nothing amazing, but nothing wrong with it either. The three stories are like novella or longer short stories. It's always fun to have new twists on fairytales, and Levine's goal here was definitely fun, and she accomplished it.
John Kubalak
Mar 04, 2010 John Kubalak rated it liked it
My seven year old daughter, who has moved beyond princesses to fairies at this point, still loved these stories. Levine fills these stories with wonderful humor, imagination, and a fresh perspective. If you have a little girl in your life you can't go wrong with anything by Levine.
Shae
Jan 01, 2015 Shae rated it liked it
The retelling of three classic fairytales with charming twists. Case in point -- the third story is "Princess Sonora and the Long Sleep" and Princess Sonora is the smartest person in the land with the longest answers to anyone's questions.
Heather
Jun 04, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
I'm a big fan of this author. Her books are well-written, fun, interesting and clean.

This book contains several shorter stories, all very good. I grab this one every now and then for a quick read.

Kirstie
Feb 01, 2011 Kirstie rated it really liked it
Super cute and fun stories. I really think that Levine is a great story teller! Even my 4 year old loved the story of The Fairy's Mistake. I love her creative twists on all of the classic fairy tales because they are so funny and also refreshing to read.
Margene Furnell
Feb 12, 2009 Margene Furnell rated it liked it
This is a collection of fairy tales with a totally different spin. They were creative and short. I think though by the 6th short I was a little burned out with fairy tales, even tough they were good.
Juzefa
Jul 30, 2016 Juzefa rated it liked it
Shelves: children-books
It's like reading the classical fairy tales, only with feeling a tinge of modern ideas, like ''a quest souvenir museum" for example. And I really liked the characters in those tales, they were quite unique and easy to remember.
  • Thorn in Her Side (The Princess School, #7)
  • The Diamond Princess and the Magic Ball (The Jewel Kingdom, #8)
  • The Rumpelstiltskin Problem
  • The Time Travelers: Volume One
  • The Adventures of Sir Givret the Short (Knights' Tales, #2)
  • The Early Years Collection (Little House, #1, 3-6)
  • Sleeping Ugly
  • The Extra-Ordinary Princess
  • A Glory of Unicorns
  • Where's the Dragon?
Just letting you all know: I'm only going to review books I love. There's enough negative criticism without me piling on. A book is too hard to write.

Gail Carson Levine grew up in New York City and began writing seriously in 1987. Her first book for children, Ella Enchanted, was a 1998 Newbery Honor Book. Levine's other books include Fairest; Dave at Night, an ALA Notable Book and Best Book for Yo
More about Gail Carson Levine...

The Princess Tales (6 books)
  • The Fairy's Mistake (The Princess Tales, #1)
  • The Princess Test (The Princess Tales, #2)
  • Princess Sonora and the Long Sleep (The Princess Tales, #3)
  • Cinderellis and the Glass Hill (The Princess Tales, #4)
  • For Biddle's Sake (The Princess Tales, #5)
  • The Fairy's Return (The Princess Tales, #6)