Start by marking “The Two Princesses of Bamarre” as Want to Read:
The Two Princesses of Bamarre

The Two Princesses of Bamarre (The Two Princesses of Bamarre #1)

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  53,613 Ratings  ·  1,989 Reviews
Twelve-year-old Addie admires her older sister Meryl, who aspires to rid the kingdom of Bamarre of gryphons, specters, and ogres. Addie, on the other hand, is fearful even of spiders and depends on Meryl for courage and protection. Waving her sword Bloodbiter, the older girl declaims in the garden from the heroic epic of Drualt to a thrilled audience of Addie, their ...more
Published March 1st 2004 by Eos (first published March 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Two Princesses of Bamarre, please sign up.

Lilah I would say middle school and up. There is a love interest, but it is not what the book is about.

Lola  Reviewer

Follow Princess Addie as she is overcoming her fears in order to find a cure for her sister who had the mischance to fall into the claws of the Gray Death. This is a charming adventure brimming with princesses, dragons, elves, fairies, ogres, sorcerers and magic! Over and above that, it explores the themes of sisterly love and courage. Even a coward can be transformed into a knight. It can absolutely make a beautiful storytelling for children.
Emilyn
Jun 11, 2008 Emilyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Madie
Aug 07, 2013 Madie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: some-of-the-best
I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE THAT BOOK!!!!!!
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Feb 16, 2008 Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves Ella Enchanted
I love this book!!! Even though Ella Enchanted is Gail Carson Levine's most well-known book, I think that The Two Princesses of Bamarre is her best book. It's really exciting, but also well-written. If you love Ella Enchanted, this is the book for you.
HeavyReader
Dec 03, 2013 HeavyReader rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: girls who are into those wimpy Disney princesses and anyone who wants to read a good adventure
Shelves: young-adult
This book is so good!

It did take me a while to get into it. The first half or so of the book is kind of slow going. Two sisters. One is bold. One is shy. Yawn.

But then in the middle, when the shy sister has to leave the castle to save her beloved sister's life, it gets REALLY exciting. Specters. Gryphons. Dragons. Battles. WOW! I could hardly put it down at that point.

There's also a story within a story, a legend of the kingdom, and it is as well done as the main story.

The almost end had me bawl
Sabrina Stoutamyer
Jul 22, 2012 Sabrina Stoutamyer rated it it was amazing
This book is one of the first fantasy novels I ever read. It's one I loved from beginning to end, and it's one that I never tire of reading over and over again. It's the only book I've read more times than I can count on my one hand and several more on the other. This is an awesome read with great morals about finding courage in a world that is against you doing so. It's about family and the beauty of being there for each other, even if you're not quiet the same. It's got poetry, dragons, ...more
Naomi Brist
Sep 13, 2015 Naomi Brist rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I've grown up with this story. To say that it has had an impact on my life is an incredible and unforgivable understatement. Everyone knows this author because of Ella Enchanted, but I believe that this book is much, much greater. It has romance, monsters, action, magic, and adventure; all things that people look for and enjoy in a good book. But what really makes this story great is not any of those things. What makes it great is how a young woman who is afraid of everything ventures out into a ...more
Katie
I THINK I read this before, but I can't say for sure.

Anyway, this was good, but I don't think it entirely holds up for an adult reader. I needed the relationships to be fleshed out more, both the romance and the sibling relationship.

But I did like the bare bones of the story a lot.

Re-read February 2016

Hahaha, well, this time I KNOW I read it before, but I couldn't remember much at all about it until I started reading. Then I remembered more.

I do think it's not quite subtle enough for my adult ta
Shantelle
An adventurous, fun story, The Two Princesses of Bamarre was... making me smile knowingly at some parts, then sitting in surprise at another. Sweet fairytale of a love that makes cowards brave. Complete with wily monsters, fearsome dragons, and courageous legends.

It was a quick but good read for me, and I know my younger sisters also loved it.
Megan
Jan 31, 2009 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book was really cute! It's written in the first person, which was a change, as few of the books I read are, and the protagonist of the story is Princess Addie, a sweet but cowardly girl who couldn't be more different than her sister, Meryl. Princess Meryl is courageous and longs for adventures where she can kill dragons, gryphons, and ogres. Addie would rather stay safe at home and wishes for peace, not wars like her sister. The two are even opposites in appearance. Addie has dark brown ...more
Gabs
I didn't think that Gail Carson Levine could write anything more spectacular than Ella Enchanted. I'm not going to say that The Two Princesses of Bamarre was better than Ella Enchanted, but it definitely was as good as it.

Addie and Meryl had such a great relationship. I loved reading about them, and how Addie was willing to risk her life to save her sister from the Gray Death.

Rhys...sigh. Oh, Rhys. He's a very attractive sorceror, and I loved him! Gail Carson Levine created a romance that wasn
Audrey
Aug 24, 2013 Audrey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favortie-books
At first, I thought that since this book was going to be too princess-y, and medieval time-ish, I asked myself, "Why bother?"

My conscious had told me, "Suck it up and read it fool. You'll like it. You always like princesses, now."

And I did. Like it, I mean. This wonderful, original story has been on of my favorites. I loved it! I don't remember much, but I do remember about the princess thinking she was frail, weak, not strong at all like the older one, going on a bunch of journeys. She had
Jessica
Sep 19, 2007 Jessica rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 12 And Up
Shelves: fantasy
Cute and funny (like all of Gail Carson Levine's books! :D)!!

Gail Carson Levine here creates a fairy tale of her own and gives it a characteristic grrrl-power twist. Twelve-year-old Addie admires her older sister Meryl, who aspires to rid the kingdom of Bamarre of gryphons, specters, and ogres. Addie, on the other hand, is fearful even of spiders and depends on Meryl for courage and protection. Waving her sword Bloodbiter, the older girl declaims in the garden from the heroic epic of Drualt to a
Lizzy
Dec 02, 2008 Lizzy rated it it was amazing
dragons, ogers ,fairies this book is evrything!
Tara Higgins
Apr 27, 2016 Tara Higgins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book so many times! I love it!
Kaytlin Gomez
Oct 12, 2016 Kaytlin Gomez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story was mainly about a girl (Addie) that overcomes her fears and becomes brave just to save her sister but later on she finds out she was brave all along, plot twist! Can't wait for the next one after this :D
Jami
Feb 12, 2012 Jami rated it liked it
Recommended to Jami by: Shandi
I liked this book. It was a fairly fast-paced, fun adventure. Two sisters, the princesses of the kingdom of Bamarre, at first glance appear to be very different. Meryl is brave and desperate for adventure. Addie, on the other hand, is fearful of everything, particularly of losing her sister.

What transpires is that Addie must embark on an adventure to save her sister. She discovers her own courage, and in the end works with a small group of brave Bamarrians to save the day.

I liked the descriptio
Hayley Larson
Dec 12, 2013 Hayley Larson rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-favorites
Gail Carson Levine captivated me once again with her tale, "the Two Princesses of Bamarre." This was also one of my favorite books in middle school and I read it more than once. I could really connect with the story because I also have a sister who I would do anything for and even though we are different, we get along and really help each other out. As you may have guessed the story tells about two sisters whose father rules over the kingdom of Bamarre which for some time has been plagued with ...more
Stephanie Jobe
Dec 12, 2013 Stephanie Jobe rated it it was amazing
I did exactly what my mother told me not to do last night, stay up late and read a book all the way through. I have been in a reading slump for a while having drowned in children’s books this semester and my adult book well I started it in the summer and am about halfway through. I thought a quick something I’ve really wanted to read would get me back in the groove. Addie is afraid of everything. Her sister Meryl is the brave one who protects her. Then the tables are turned and Addie must take ...more
Trini
Jun 18, 2011 Trini rated it really liked it
I read this book first when I was a little kid, sometime between fourth and fifth grade, I think. It was one of the most influential books of my childhood, so it only made sense that I reread all grown up as I am.

It wasn't as stunning as I remember it being when I was a kid, but it was still really amazing. The story-telling and the feeling in the book was something that you don't find in some of the 'finer' books of this time. And maybe it was more because of my nostalgia than because of the po
Molly Murphy
Ok, the whole book, the whole great book, was RUINED by the horrible ending.
First of all, I like that Meryl, the daring, adventurous, passionate one, was small. I love it when the small people are like that. Also, I love that Meryl was the oldest 'cause a lot of people protray the oldest as some wimpy, over-mature person who never gets into any adventures. Finally, the firstborn is the spitfire!
And then I liked the twists, that Addie had to go and conquer all of her fears and learn to be stron
Sharon
Jul 10, 2016 Sharon rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Princess Addie lets fear rule her life, wishing for nothing more than a safe and happy life. Her sister, Princess Meryl, is very brave and would love nothing more than to seize adventure, in whatever the form. When the illness that has stricken the kingdom hits close to home, will Princess Addie find the courage to go on her own adventure for the benefit of them all?

The Two Princesses of Bamarre is a well imagined fantasy for middle grade students, although it can be enjoyed by all. Well paced w
Kate
Jun 15, 2015 Kate rated it really liked it
This is a kids' book, so I'm going to excuse the simplistic writing style and clunky plot. It also could have done without the insta-romance, but what I loved about the story was that the protagonist was afraid of everything. I'm tired of heroes who kick ass and do amazing things without batting an eyelash. It's like every hero has to be some kind of adrenaline junkie with a death wish. Addie is a homebody who prefers embroidery to slaying dragons. Yet, when called upon, she doesn't let her ...more
Rosie Shephard
May 04, 2015 Rosie Shephard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very fun and fantastic book!

Princess Addie and her sister Meryl live in the kingdom of Bamarre. Meryl is strong, bold and brave while Addie is even scared at the sight of a spider. However, when Meryl catches the grey death, a sickness with no cure, Addie must set off on an exciting adventure across the land.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys adventure, fantasy, and just the right amount of romance!
Melanti
Why, oh why, do heroes with seven league boots never know trigonometry? It would save so much time when you only need to go five leagues...

Still, a very fun story. I forgive her for writing Fairest. In the afterword, Levine mentions that this story was originally envisioned as a re-telling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses tale. It's hard to imagine something more different than that story!
♥Tiffany♥
Jul 28, 2012 ♥Tiffany♥ rated it it was amazing
Okay I absolutely love Gail Carson Levine! I get so hooked into her books and I can't put them down. I love fairy tales and she doesn't disappoint me ever! I loved the characters and felt emotion for them. This is another great one.
Danielle
May 30, 2016 Danielle rated it it was amazing
I can't remember much about this book, but I can only remember how much I ADORED this when I was 11 or so. I read this book so many times I had the entire thing memorized. Definitely something I want to re-read soon.
Sabrina Rutter
Sep 30, 2012 Sabrina Rutter rated it did not like it
A person needs to be very familiar with mystical creatures to enjoy this book. I started to read this with my kids and since my children and I are new at these fantasy books we don't like the ones that throw all sorts of creatures out there without giving a description of the beast.
Kazia
Mar 21, 2016 Kazia rated it it was amazing
This would be 4 stars if I were reading it for the first time, but my childhood love for this book and the ways in which it hits so close to home make it stick at a 5.
Mononoke
Jan 23, 2014 Mononoke rated it it was amazing
Probably one of my favorite books ever! I cried a lot at the end... but it was really good...
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 5 Feb 11, 2015 04:13PM
  • No Place for Magic (The Tales of the Frog Princess, #4)
  • Palace of Mirrors (The Palace Chronicles, #2)
  • Heir Apparent (Rasmussem Corporation, #2)
  • River Secrets (The Books of Bayern, #3)
  • The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf (The Squire's Tales, #3)
  • Princess Ben
  • Before Midnight: A Retelling of Cinderella (Once Upon a Time, #11)
  • Once Upon a Marigold (Upon a Marigold, #1)
  • Close Kin (The Hollow Kingdom Trilogy, #2)
  • The Great Good Thing (The Sylvie Cycle, #1)
  • Wolf Star (Claidi Journals #2)
  • Goose Chase
  • Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4)
  • Dragon Slippers (Dragon Slippers, #1)
Just letting you all know: I'm only going to review books I love. There's enough negative criticism without me piling on. A book is too hard to write.

Gail Carson Levine grew up in New York City and began writing seriously in 1987. Her first book for children, Ella Enchanted, was a 1998 Newbery Honor Book. Levine's other books include Fairest; Dave at Night, an ALA Notable Book and Best Book for Yo
More about Gail Carson Levine...

The Two Princesses of Bamarre (2 books)
  • The Lost Kingdom of Bamarre

“Step follows step,
Hope follows Courage,
Set your face towards danger,
Set your heart on victory.”
535 likes
“Drualt took Freya's warm hand,
Her strong hand,
Her sword hand,
And pressed it to his lips,
Pressed it to his heart.
Come with me,' he said.
Come with me to battle,
My love. Tarry at my side.
Stay with me