Start by marking “The Fairy's Return and Other Princess Tales” as Want to Read:
The Fairy's Return and Other Princess Tales

The Fairy's Return and Other Princess Tales (The Princess Tales #1-6)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  3,325 ratings  ·  161 reviews
Ever since Newbery Honor author Gail Carson Levine introduced the magical village of Snettering-on-Snoakes in the faraway Kingdom of Biddle, young readers have been laughing their way through her hilarious retellings of famous and not-so-famous fairy tales.

Now, for the first time, the six beloved Princess Tales are together in one magnificent volume:

The high jinks begin in
Published September 19th 2006 by HarperCollins (first published October 8th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Fairy's Return and Other Princess Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fairy's Return and Other Princess Tales

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineThe Goose Girl by Shannon HaleBeauty by Robin McKinleyThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanFairest by Gail Carson Levine
The Best Fairytales and Retellings
379th out of 1,509 books — 6,698 voters
Cinder by Marissa MeyerElla Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineScarlet by Marissa MeyerFairest by Gail Carson LevineBeastly by Alex Flinn
Fairy Tales Retold
64th out of 257 books — 302 voters

More lists with this book...

Joy
Mar 26, 2010 Joy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
Gail Carson Levine is in the same vein of writing as Robin McKinley. She does takes on fairy tales. This book is a collection of short stories based on fairy tales or folk tales. These stories take place in the land of Biddle and you will find it amusing that the kings and queens generally have the same name...with corresponding roman numerals at the end.

"The Fairy's Mistake": One girl is rewarded for doing good, the other punished by a fairy but the reward seems to be a punishment and the punis
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Andie Z. for TeensReadToo.com

Gail Carson Levine is well-known for taking familiar fairy tales and weaving them with her own magic. THE FAIRY'S REUTRN AND OTHER PRINCESS TALES is no exception. In this collection of the six popular Princess Tales, Levine has rewritten six familiar (and some not-so-familiar) stories until they are virtually unrecognizable.

Candi
Alright I really liked this book in all it's silliness. I didn't like the Princess Test when I first read it, I was put off by it's shortness and silliness, but I have come to appreciate it. In a world of self-absorbed, self-important young adult literature, this is just fantastic. I especially like the first story with the girl who speaks with bugs and lizards-great. One caveat is that I got a little tired of the three stories about youngest sons where the oldest two sons were only friends with ...more
Nina
Warning: This review may contain spoilers.

After reading a few fairy tale re-tellings of other authors, I can't help but go back and compare them to Gail Carson Levine. No matter what anyone says, Levine is incomparable. She is really great (the best, maybe?) when it comes to weaving quick, fun and enjoyable fantasy stories.

This book contains 6 short stories by Levine: "The Fairy's Mistake", "The Princess Test", "Princess Sonora and the Long Sleep", "Cinderellis and the Glass Hill", "For Biddle's
mary Ethington
darling for young girls. It has several (6)short princess stories that can be read fairly quickly. My nine year old and I read these stories together the first time and now she is reading them again on her own. I also love the hard cover copy, it looks nice.
Autumn
This is a really fun book.
I just quick flipped through my favorite stories.
Love the Princess Tales. ;)
Tara
Lots of humorous, fairy tale shorts. I enjoy Levine's writing style and humor.
Andie Z
Aug 09, 2011 Andie Z marked it as to-read
Shelves: own, own-and-unread
Reviewed for TeensReadToo

In THE FAIRY'S MISTAKE, which is based on the fairy tale "Toads and Diamonds," two very different sisters are each granted a gift by the fairy Etheli
Nash Nordin
The Fairy’s Return and Other Princess Tales is a collection of fairy tales that are retold by Gail Carson Levine. The book contained six princesses’ short stories — The Fairy Mistake (Toads and Princesses), The Princess Test (The Princess and The Pea), Princess Sonora and The Long Sleep (Sleeping Beauty), Cinderellis and The Glass Hills (The Princess and The Glass Hills), For Biddle’s Sake (Puddocky) and The Fairy’s Return (The Golden Goose).

I was a bit skeptical after reading the first story, T
CekMoNSter
Another book from GCL..
*dreamy*..I love her..For writing such awesome fairytales retelling..
To be honest, this one book compiles six stories..Which are all awesome...GCL had putten me on edge through my read because of the way she tweaked and twisted each stories..
Each one has different twist..The Fairy`s mistake was a story about 2 different girl who had been cursed. One with a reward for her kindness, and another with punishment for her rudeness..Sounds tacky? Not really cause there`s somethi
Lacey Louwagie
Mar 21, 2007 Lacey Louwagie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for a fun read-aloud book
Things that would have made me like this book better:
1. If I would have been reading it aloud to a 10-year-old. It would have been fun to giggle with a kid over some of the dialogue, and the sentences were short and well-constructed, making it a perfect read-aloud book.
2. If I had known all the fairy tales Gail Carson Levine was parodying. I was only familiar with a couple of them -- and I like retellings when I can appreciate them as retellings. As plain ol' stories, they're just a little weird
Lauren
Aug 28, 2013 Lauren rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who needs a light fantasy read.
Ever since I started my research for my fairy tale essay, I've wanted to reread these stories. They are told in a traditional removed perspective fairy tale style, but are still totally adorable. I just love them so much, they are soso cute and really, just cute. I always read them in a random order. I laugh out loud reading these in class, especially "The Firy's Return" for some reason the combination of King Harrumphry and jake making up couplets that don't rhyme just get to me.
...............
Karin
I liked these stories. I liked how both the prince/ princess and their love are smart, kind people. My fav was Cinderellis.

The only thing I didn't like was that these stories were about generations of the same family. That means that Cinderellis becomes King Harrumphry IV, a twat who uses harrumph instead of words and confuses his court. Not how I (or the epilogues of the stories themselves) pictured 'happily ever after'.

But if you're not noticing these details- a child might not- they are very
Denise
Everything lovable about the traditional fairy tales with delightful new twists. Each of these short tales remains true to the core of the original story, but changes the tale enough to make the plots unexpected and exciting. Interestingly, Levine chose to set all these tales at different times in the same world and they regularly refer to each other.
Dallin
This seems from the outside like a girl's book but I really enjoyed it. The reason I even picked it up, though, was because I read the back, laughed, and had no other book to read. This was a really funny book that I really enjoyed.
Olivia X
An amazing group of interesting and alluring stories. I really enjoyed reading this and I suggest everyone who hasn't read them to read them!
Olivia  bieber
Nov 25, 2010 Olivia bieber rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Olivia by: HALEY WILLIAMS
THE HIGH JINKS BEGIN IN THE FAIRYS MISTAKE WHICH POKES FUN AT A MEDDLESOME FAIRY WHOSE PLANS 4 GOOD GO TERRIBLY AWRY.

IN THE PRINCESS TESTTHE AUTHOR SPOOFS THE NATION THAT A PEA CAN PROOVE A PERSONS PEDIGREE.

PRINCESS SONORA AND THE LONG SLEEP FEATURES A GENIOUS OF A PRINCESS A HUNDRES YEARS OF SNOOZE TWO PRINCES AND A FLOCK OF BADLINFG SHEEP!

CINDERELLA IS A BOY IN CINDERELLAS AND THE GLASS HILL.

IN FOR BIDDLES SNAKE PARLSELY TRIES TO FORGET HE BELOVED PRINCE AND GET AND GET USED TO LIFE AS A BIDDL
Janus Vielle (The Blair Book Project)
Being a girl who grew up reading fairy tales, I’m always open to read more of it; so there’s no question why I grabbed a copy of this book.

I love it! It may be childish and all but I’ve always been completely drawn to these types of tales. Levine’s tales were enjoyable and although I saw some significance to the classics from the Grimm brothers and Hans Christian Andersen, I still adored them.

For more of my reviews, please visit my blog:
The Blair Book Project @ www.theblairbookproject.blogspot
Beth
Amazing! I can't seem to pick my favourite story. I do like how the fairy from the first story comes back!
Michelle
This a collection of fairy tales that are new versions of some classic stories including Sleeping Beauty, the Princess and the Frog, the Princess and the Pea, and the Golden Goose. Several are based on some less well known stories. I found it interesting to compare the classic versions to those included in the book. It is nice to see the protagonists all use their intelligence and wits to reach their goals. There is some clever wordplay to amuse adults and older children and the tales are all we ...more
Robin
The book that made my sister read from the start till the end (in English!) and said 'is there more books like this Along?' and ask me to borrow/buy for her. That's a first.

Well, I am off to find more fairytales book for my sis and preferably by the same author. She already read Ella Enchanted and like the book as well. Me, I prefer Ella Enchanted (a favourite of mine) than this book, and I think I already had read enough re-telling of fairytales, but well, anything that could make her read more
Heidi
My book only had the fairy's return. it was cute. The characters were not developed at all throughout the story, which I didn't like. You have this girl and this guy and they met once and all of a sudden they're madly in love with each other and then they don't see each other for like 2 years, but they pine away for each other. I don't know, since there wasn't really the character development, I didn't love the characters and have this burning desire to see them together...but it was a cute litt ...more
Lara
This is a fun collection of fairy tales redux. The twists are clever, the characters are sweet, the females aren't stripped of power as is traditional fairy tales, and they all lived happily ever after. The only reason that I gave this 4 instead of 5 stars was the fact that I found some of the word play to be irritating rather than endearing (for example, one of the kings in the stories always speaks in synonyms, and another one always 'harrumphs' instead of speaking clearly), but that's just me ...more
Tracy
The first three stories (The Fairy's Mistake, The Princess Test, and Princess Sonora and the Long Sleep) in this book are delightful, and I enjoyed them as much as my 8-year-old. However, the last three (Cinderellis and the Glass Hill, For Biddle's Sake, and The Fairy's Return) were full of insipid characters, belabored plots, and misplaced fairytale fragments. They still garnered a few laughs and she was eager to hear them to the end, but she was also groaning and rolling her eyes.
Annette
Feb 03, 2011 Annette rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: little girls who like to read pure fluff
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
This is a collection of six fairy tales retold by, Gail Carson Levine author of Ella Enchanted. I actually didn't read all of them, I read four which I think is enough to give a fair and accurate rating. I read them to my two little girls (ages 9 and 7). They really seemed to enjoy the first two or three, but after that even they were getting tired of them. I didn't particular enjoy them from the start. The writing is really flat and well, boring. Not at all like Ella Enchanted.
Chrissy
awesome :)
Odile
I read this book when I was going into my early pre-teen years. This book is composed of several variations of classic fairy tales. I found this book to be really entertaining especially when I was reading it as an easy summer read. I remember I really liked reading the book and thinking, "oh yeah this story is like ____, but better!". They aren't all variations of fairy tales, but Levine adds some of her own flavors of stories which just has the icing on the cake.
Brook
Bronwyn's "Readergirls" Book Club for September(My daughter's 8 yr. old book group). Bronwyn cannot put this one down. I have found her with her book light on late last night. I thought she was sleeping in this morning--but she was in bed reading. She is still in her pajamas curled up in the living room. I read this one when I was pregnant with her and loved it. I look forward to all the great books I can share with her.
Mayra
A great light read. One of those laugh-out-loud books to bring your spirits up. These were several different fairytale's with a unique spin, but still true to the fairytale format. I especially enjoyed the takes on Sleeping Beauty and The Princess and the Pea. I read it when I was about eleven or twelve--I wouldn't recommend it to anyone past twelve. Do not be fooled by the book's thickness (which I was.)
Gayle
3.5 stars. Hannah (age 8) read this first and insisted that I read it too. It is a collection of 6 short stories -- retellings of fairy tales (some of which I wasn't familiar with). She loved it and has already gone back to re-read some of it. I thought they were cute stories with some fun twists -- definitely aimed at a younger audience. They would be fun to read aloud to girls.
  • The Rumpelstiltskin Problem
  • The Thirteenth Princess
  • Thornspell
  • Dragon Kiss (The Tales of the Frog Princess, #7)
  • The World Above
  • The Prince of the Pond: Otherwise Known as De Fawg Pin
  • If the Shoe Fits (The Princess School, #1)
  • Out of the Wild (Into the Wild, #2)
  • Straw Into Gold
  • The Swan Maiden
  • Of Giants and Ice
  • Violet Eyes (Once Upon a Time Fairytales)
  • The Crimson Thread: A Retelling of "Rumpelstiltskin" (Once Upon a Time Fairytales)
Just letting you all know: I'm only going to review books I love. There's enough negative criticism without me piling on. A book is too hard to write.

Gail Carson Levine grew up in New York City and began writing seriously in 1987. Her first book for children, Ella Enchanted, was a 1998 Newbery Honor Book. Levine's other books include Fairest; Dave at Night, an ALA Notable Book and Best Book for Yo
More about Gail Carson Levine...
Ella Enchanted The Two Princesses of Bamarre Fairest Ever The Fairy's Mistake