Start by marking “Nearer the Moon: From A Journal of Love - The Unexpurgated Diary of Anaïs Nin (1937-1939)” as Want to Read:

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Anais Nin's diary was her "ultimate confidante," and to it she revealed her private self, her doubts and weaknesses, and the uncensored details about her physical relationships. This discipline of daily writing also helped Nin develop the skills to write her edited diaries and best-selling volumes of erotica. The fourth volume of "A Journal of Love," Nearer the Moon covers ...more
Published November 1st 1996 by Houghton Mifflin

To ask other readers questions about Nearer the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nearer the Moon

Joan Colby
Years ago, I admired the expurgated diaries for the oblique and mysterious tone and the poetic description, though even then, I felt the language was frequently overblown. It was also possible to perceive Nin as an adventurous independent woman, since she had deleted the role of her husband from the diaries. Nearer the Moon is the second (though in actuality the fourth of the unexpurgated versions published after Nin’s death)
of these that I’ve read, the first being “Henry and June.’ What comes t
Jess
Whenever I read her diaries, I always find myself diarizing my thoughts in my head as I go through the day. She has such a perceptive, wonderful understanding of thoughts and emotions and it soothes and clears my mind to read her. More than any other author, I stumble upon paragraphs of hers where she exactly describes what I am thinking and feeling about situations that I had never consciously understood before. I admire her perhaps more than any other woman for her constant exploration of the ...more
Bridgett
I like her writing style and could relate to some aspects of her experience (like feeling more in the eternal instead of the temporal, unlike most people). Though the way I would describe certain experiences is different. I also love people very passionately, so I liked hearing about her emotions and devotions though I've never had a love life like hers. I don't know much about Nin yet, but she is interesting.
Cherie
Oct 10, 2007 Cherie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anais nin fans
A Another fantastic diary of Anais Nin; I got super annoyed at Gonzalo and how the men in her life suck so much from her (money, time, love), but this book is terrific. I love Anais; you easily fall in love with her reading it. Quite erotic at times (no surprise there) but absolutely fascinating, especially in the days leading up to WW2.
Angela Vs
Unlike the revelations, epiphanies, and great peaks of her earlier diaries, Nearer the Moon seems a bit trite. Nin has found her routine, bouncing between and lying to lovers, keeping a home, keeping her personal writing and grappling with the publishing world, being bled of money and emotion, and occasionally stirring up a new heart here and there.

It's good to see how the writing industry worked at the time though.

The language, is as always, sensitive and poetic. But the story that is told is
Peggy
Dec 21, 2014 Peggy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: diary
"What a curious, extraordinary woman," said legendary editor Maxwell Perkins after reading Anais Nin's diaries. And that is the case--she is one of a kind. She's a literary temple whore, a married demi-monde, a polyamorous modernist writer. She's been castigated for valuing sexual pleasure highly, for breaking taboos, and for the lies and deceit that facilitated her love life. She formed intense relationships with men, juggling three of them in this diary, and developed long-lasting, mutually be ...more
bookcasewalls
I think my main problem with these diaries is that I decided, before I was half-way through, that I don't much like Anais Nin. I don't know how to explain why this matters so much, given that characters I don't like can be present in books I love, and can even be excellent characters. Maybe because in fiction there's a nominal space between what the narrative endorses and what the character endorses. No such luck in a diary. Nin comes across as extremely pleased with herself all the time, and be ...more
Bruce
How did the young Nin--articulate, passionate, inquisitive, and reflective--become this irritating sexual Olympian (albeit still articulate and passionate), pretty well oblivious to significant things going on around her? Reading the "unexpurgated" diaries alongside those that were published in her lifetime reveals some interesting editing decisions.
Venessa
Finally finished the third volume of Nin's unexpurgated diary: are there any more? Of course there are, but I want the erotic ones!! I will resume my reading of her expurgated diaries in the summer, between possibly studying for the LSATs and hopefully interning, but Nin is an amazing writer. Cherie has described her words as delicious, and I honestly haven't thought of a better way to describe her: her words are delicious and I devour them as if they were the last thing on earth to eat. This vo ...more
Holly Goguen
I remember being bored, and convinced that the talent of this book lay more in the notion that a woman would be so bold as to have three lovers and write candidly about it at this time....than in the actual writing. Diaries have never held much interest for me I guess because they are usually so utterly banal by principle. Anyone who's diary is too fabulous, is either a fiction writer, or a freak accident. =)
Michelle Fields
Purty good stuff.
M.
M. marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Dinz
Dinz marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Kl Baudelaire
Kl Baudelaire marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Ara
Ara marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Miruna Andreea
Miruna Andreea marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Jennes
Jennes marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
valkyrie
valkyrie is currently reading it
Nov 30, 2014
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Eleni
Eleni is currently reading it
Nov 24, 2014
Annika
Annika marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Soonha
Soonha marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Jennifer Sarah
Jennifer Sarah is currently reading it
Nov 11, 2014
Maureen Collier
Maureen Collier marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
  • The Complete Letters of Oscar Wilde
  • Anaïs Nin: A Biography
  • Truly Wilde: The Unsettling Story Of Dolly Wilde, Oscar's Unusual Niece
  • Imperfect Spirituality: Extraordinary Enlightenment for Ordinary People
  • Art and Madness: A Memoir of Lust Without Reason
  • Elizabeth: Virgin Queen?
  • Love
  • Memoir: A History
  • Not Much Fun: The Lost Poems of Dorothy Parker
  • Pleasure Bound: Victorian Sex Rebels and the New Eroticism
  • Sade: A Biography
  • Women's Life in Greece and Rome: A Source Book in Translation
  • Creative Thursday: Everyday Inspiration to Grow Your Creative Practice
  • Bodies Under Siege: Self-mutilation and Body Modification in Culture and Psychiatry
  • Mirror, Mirror on the Wall: Women Writers Explore Their Favorite Fairy Tales
  • Fearless Confessions: A Writer's Guide to Memoir
  • Down Among the Dead Men: A Year in the Life of a Mortuary Technician
  • Frida by Frida
French-born novelist, passionate eroticist and short story writer, who gained international fame with her journals. Spanning the years from 1931 to 1974, they give an account of one woman's voyage of self-discovery. "It's all right for a woman to be, above all, human. I am a woman first of all." (from The Diary of Anaïs Nin, vol. I, 1966)

Anaïs Nin was largely ignored until the 1960s. Today she is
More about Anaïs Nin...
Delta of Venus Henry and June: From "A Journal of Love"--The Unexpurgated Diary of Anaïs Nin (1931-1932) Little Birds The Diary of Anaïs Nin, Vol. 1: 1931-1934 A Spy in the House of Love (Cities of the Interior #4)