Start by marking “How To Choose A Sweetheart” as Want to Read:
How To Choose A Sweetheart

How To Choose A Sweetheart

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  46 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
“She came into the bookshop. That was it. That was the beginning.”

This isn’t the first romantic story to feature a balcony, nor is it likely to be the last. Even so, what takes place in ‘How To Choose A Sweetheart’ is a modern, fresh take on an old-fashioned tale.

Max is a bookseller. Since his relationship with Jazz ended, he’s struggling to find purpose in life. That all
Paperback, first, 222 pages
Published August 15th 2013 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published August 13th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about How To Choose A Sweetheart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How To Choose A Sweetheart

Aditi
Nov 05, 2014 Aditi rated it really liked it
Now here's a book that will teach you to move on and fall in love again, but in a funny and hilarious way. How to Choose a Sweetheart by Nigel Bird is a sweet and funny love story filled with sarcasm and a piano!

Thanks to the author, Nigel Bird, for sending me over a copy of his book, in return for an honest and unbiased review.

Max, who works in a book-store, is finding hard to move on over his ex-girlfriend, Jazz. But Jazz has already found her special someone, Alan. Every time, Max and Jazz m
Jess Mountifield
I was given a copy of this ebook in return for a review.

This has got to be one of the most aptly titled books out there. It's a very sweet gorgeous story about Max and his journey to get over his ex girlfriend and charm the woman of his dreams.

The whole way through the book was a very real, normal look at life for the average 20-30 ish age adult whose just trying to get through life and find someone to live the highs and lows with. The characters are easy going and quirky without being larger th
Katie W
Sep 08, 2013 Katie W rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
It's love at first sight for Max, when Cath walks into the bookstore where he works to post an ad. Desperate to meet her, he comes up with a brilliant plan--he'll teach her daughter piano lessons. The only problem is, he doesn't know how to play the piano.

Max is a very goofy, silly guy with a dry sense of humor. He often comes up with the craziest ideas, yet things work for him. I sometimes wanted to tell him to wake up because he kept weaving this web of lies and/or half truths in order to por
Elaine
Oct 07, 2014 Elaine rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny-haha
I have tried to read a Nigel Bird book before but found it “not quite me” but this story is one that I thoroughly enjoyed. First thing, I absolutely love the cover which really grabbed me.

This is a light hearted romantic comedy which is typically British and has that “Notting Hill” feel to it. However, when Cath walks into the bookshop Max works in he is immediately attracted to her and has to find a way to get to know her. He does this by getting himself a second job as a piano teacher to Cath’
Kath Middleton
Sep 05, 2013 Kath Middleton rated it it was amazing
I have read a number of books by Nigel Bird and this is a complete departure from his usual dark and gritty style. I love it! Max, the young man who is trying to find a girlfriend after a break up with his previous lady, goes to great lengths and some subterfuge, to become a part of her life and that of her 6 year old daughter. Will he dare come out with the truth? Can he base the relationship on a lie? We also follow the fortunes of his old flame as she finds happiness with another man. One of ...more
Abra
Nov 06, 2015 Abra rated it it was ok
After a lot of effort, I made it to 45% of this book before it just became too much work to continue. While the story seemed fine, the writing style was really difficult and I wasn't able to get into the story or characters enough to overlook that. I've read books written in present tense before and really liked them so that wasn't the problem. Maybe it was the choppiness of the sentences, IDK, but I really didn't enjoy the process of reading this book.
Karen (Kew)
Aug 31, 2013 Karen (Kew) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. The author, Nigel Bird, usually writes much darker fiction (which I haven't read as I find that sort of reading difficult), but this is very different. This is a "rom com". I've read quite a few rom coms in the past but all written by women, so it's nice to read the genre from a male's point of view. It is light, witty and very well-written, but with enough of an edge to it to raise it above the ordinary.

There are some memorable characters in this too. I really
Pippa
Sep 22, 2015 Pippa rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book....would you offer yourself as a piano teacher when you have no idea how to play just to get close to the mother of the daughter who you are going to teach?
I liked the storylines within the book - an enjoyable read!
Aunty Janet
Sep 20, 2013 Aunty Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this light hearted modern love story.
Max works in a bookshop and is recovering from a broken relationship. He is smitten by a customer who leaves a card on the notice board and thus he gets himself involved in a complex lie in order to meet her. His life then gets very complicated.
I loved the characters. Max has some great friends and meets a wonderful elderly character who becomes part of his life.
Although the subterfuge shouldn't work, it did for me and I found the ending abso
InD'tale Magazine
A contemporary romantic comedy any romance lover will enjoy!

Read full review in the 2014 February issue of InD’tale Magazine.
Rory Costello
Oct 09, 2013 Rory Costello rated it really liked it
This charming romantic comedy shows the breadth of Nigel Bird's range. It's the kind of story that made Hugh Grant a star, although I would not at all cast Grant as Bird's hero, Max. It's gentle, warmhearted, and funny, with a nice cast of non-clichéd characters. After reading loads of crime fiction, I found this was a wonderful palate-cleanser.
Louise
Sep 15, 2013 Louise rated it liked it
Easy read, killed a few hours on train...nice set of characters,I especially liked Evans.
My only gripe, would have liked to have known age of our characters....maybe I just missed it, but I think I had them a good five years older in my head, which made a difference to storyline.
Lynne - The Book Squirrel
Sep 20, 2013 Lynne - The Book Squirrel rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
A funny romance, not usually my genre but it made a change to read something different.
Champongramen
Aug 29, 2013 Champongramen rated it liked it
Goofy and sweet. Pretty nice
Melanie
Jan 29, 2014 Melanie rated it it was amazing
It’s been a while since Max and Jazz split up, and Max is finding it hard to move on, even though Jazz has found a new chap and has zero intention of rekindling any romance with Max. Each time they meet up for lunch, as friends, Max hopes this is the time she realises she wants him back.

Then Cath walks into the bookshop where Max works and he realises there are other fish in the sea. When Cath pins up a WANTED ad for a piano teacher for her daughter, Max thinks up a genius plan in which he will
Zili
Nov 19, 2013 Zili rated it liked it

3 - 3.5 Stars in my Sky!

How To Choose A Sweetheart is funny, sarcastic, sorta awkward and charming.

Max is a somewhat bumbling guy who works in a bookshop. He's still trying to win back his ex Jazz when he catches sight of Cath. Max is instantly determined to date her. Max's master plan is to teach her young daughter piano the huge flaw being he can't play the piano! I think I found this so endearing because Max reminded me of a friend of mine who pretended to speak French to charm a girl.

The sto
Eugenia
Nov 09, 2014 Eugenia rated it it was ok
This was ok. It's not a book I would go out of my way to recommend, but I didn't hate it either.
Sacha
Nov 21, 2013 Sacha rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I normally don't go for this genre of book but the title really jumped out at me. It wasn't necessarily a bad book, it just wasn't my favorite. It definitely reinforced my opinion on this sort of book. I find it hard to read books like these without finding myself thinking "this would never happen" and "no one is really like this". Overall I think you need to always like this kind of book to enjoy it more than I did. I did think it was cute and quirky, but I don't think I'll find myself reading ...more
Beth Allison
Beth Allison marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Zahrah
Zahrah marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Thomas Pluck
Thomas Pluck rated it really liked it
May 12, 2016
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Taylor Beyle
Taylor Beyle marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Tracy Dickson
Tracy Dickson marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Mafalda
Mafalda marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Gretchen
Gretchen rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Lucy
Lucy marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Jimzzz
Jimzzz marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
  • Pulse (Club Grit Trilogy, #1)
  • Type N (Type N, #1)
  • Red Planet Pioneer: Modulus of Resilience
  • Leah and the Jackhammer
  • My Life Untold
  • The Perfect Guy
  • My Mother's Wedding
  • Broken City (Broken City, #1)
  • Zen and Sex
  • Forever Mine
  • LEGACY RISING
  • Powerless Consent
  • Beautiful Whispers
  • Sea of Secrets
  • Bidding on the Billionaire (Bad Boys Billionaire Bachelors Club)
  • Maybe Fate
  • Kiss Me
  • Ardor (Ardor, #1)
Over the years, I've been fortunate enough to have work published alongside some of the biggest names in crime fiction as well as in a host of wonderful places.

My most recent work involves a series called Southsiders, published by Blasted Heath. It's set in Scotland's capital city, Edinburgh, and follows the adventures of the protagonist and Elvis fanatic Jesse Garon Spalding as tries to survive
More about Nigel Bird...