Start by marking “New Consensus for Old: Cultural Studies from Left to Right” as Want to Read:
New Consensus for Old: Cultural Studies from Left to Right

New Consensus for Old: Cultural Studies from Left to Right

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  7 ratings  ·  2 reviews
Thomas Frank has been sending wake-up calls to just about everyone within reach over the past decade, in venues from The Village Voice to Harper's. His takes on labor politics, advertising, the virtues of the Midwest, and how un-cool you really are have won him a wide audience, and in this piece, Frank gives us a reading of cultural studies—viewed by some as an important n ...more
Published August 1st 2002 by Prickly Paradigm Press

To ask other readers questions about New Consensus for Old, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Consensus for Old

Peter N.
Good fun! Articulates in a more interesting way much of what bugs me about Cultural Studies - especially its combination of half-baked class analysis (whatever 'the people' buy must be validated at all costs) with utterly vapid sneering contests (anyone who criticises the structures of artistic production must obviously be blinded by their own class interests). The book shows the homology between many cult studs and business gurus, i.e. both talk a lot of shit.
Lisamarie
Sep 05, 2007 Lisamarie marked it as to-read
The other day I told someone I'd majored in American Studies (back before you were born, junior!) and he smirked at me. I smirked as well. Then I felt bad. Maybe reading this book will help. It looks short and fun.
S
S added it
Oct 19, 2014
Monique
Monique marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2013
Maxy.kai
Maxy.kai marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
Mariam
Mariam marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2013
Keith
Keith marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2010
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2008
Thomas Frank is the author of What’s the Matter with Kansas? and One Market Under God. The founding editor of The Baffler and a contributing editor at Harper’s, he is also a Wall Street Journal weekly columnist. He has received a Lannan award and been a guest columnist for The New York Times. Frank lives in Washington, D.C.
More about Thomas Frank...
What's the Matter with Kansas? How Conservatives Won the Heart of America The Wrecking Crew: How Conservatives Rule Pity the Billionaire: The Hard-Times Swindle and the Unlikely Comeback of the Right The Conquest of Cool: Business Culture, Counterculture, and the Rise of Hip Consumerism Commodify Your Dissent: Salvos from The Baffler