Start by marking “Finding Home” as Want to Read:
Finding Home

Finding Home

3.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  178 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
Moody, atmospheric, and just a little bit punk, Finding Home takes contemporary YA to a new level of grit...

Published October 1st 2013 by Escape Publishing

Lynxie
This book follows a very common formula. New girl in town falls for hot 'jock', ignores other love interest, does stupid stuff, drama, sex, hurt, betrayal, finally realises that she was stupid, happy ending.

If you have read one New/Young Adult school-aged story, you've read them all. And I say New/Young because while this book has been tagged as YA, I think a lot of the themes are a little older, especially since the protagonist it on the verge of being 18. Young adult tends to have slightly you
Sabrina
Oct 02, 2013 Sabrina rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Ele
Shelves: arcs, standalone
Before reading
Just got this from Netgalley, and I'm so happy!
Aren't you excited when you get to read something written by a debut author? Well, I am! And I'm madly curious about this one.

After reading
There are YA books that are actually written with young adults in mind, and this is one of those. That's not to say that it lacks depth or is not "mature" enough, but that it clearly has an educational mission, and some messages to deliver.

Amy, the MC, is a teenager troubled by what she perceives as
Suzanne Rooyen
Sep 14, 2013 Suzanne Rooyen rated it it was amazing

*Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for letting me read the ARC.

I read this book in a handful of hours and loved it despite contemporary romance not being my usual cup of tea.

Books dealing with music are an instant draw for me, but they also raise my expectations. A pet peeve of mine is reading books about music and finding them riddled with theoretical errors, proof that the author doesn't really know much about music. Finding Home is absolutely musical-error free and that impres
Vanya D.
NOTE: I received an eARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

It's tough reviewing one of those novels, the ones that barely keep your interest, isn't it? Well, that's exactly what I'm going through right now, as I'm trying to figure out what to write that would justify the existence of Finding Home.

Harsh. I know. But in my opinion, it's the truth.

I had a hard time going forward with this one. Why? It was unrealistic, to say the least. It was a compilation of oxymorons that just didn't
Alexia Purdy
Dianne
Dec 12, 2013 Dianne rated it liked it
*Also posted at Oops! I Read A Book Again*

Thank you to Milly of Home of a Book Lover, Escape Publishing and NetGalley for the review copy. This in no way affected my views of the novel. There will be minor spoilers as it wouldn't be much of a review if I can't discuss the themes in this book.

So, I will admit this: I love to drink. Yes, drink as in drink alcohol. I don't think I'm an alcoholic because I don't rely on alcohol. I'm a social drinker. A heavy social drinker at that. I'm known to have
Stacey
Sep 03, 2015 Stacey rated it it was amazing

Finding Home is a beautiful story of surviving loss, family relationships and first love. Amy is a real teen facing real teen issues; struggling to ‘find her home’. Her journey is one any teen or ex-teen can really relate to. To deal with her mother’s death and her father’s distractions, she finds solace in the bottle. That is until her rock star Dad decides it’s a problem and ships her off to live with her Aunt.

Amy is one of those characters who really jump off the page. McKellar weaves the un
Andrea
Oct 04, 2013 Andrea rated it it was ok
This isn't a horrible book. The language is good and the writing and insight are great. However, Amy was just too dumb for me. I stopped actually reading a little after the halfway mark because of her dumbness. I can't think of another word to describe it but she was far too gullible and trusting, especially for someone who has never been in a high school before. I skimmed through the rest of the book to the end and while she learned some important things, I just could not handle her reactions. ...more
julieta
I'm gonna try reviw it properly this time.
So we got this girl whose dad is famous, her mother is dead and moves with her aunt, with whom she barely talks to through the book, goes to a new school and falls for the first guy she sees and who is indeed a dick but she doesn't realise and then, well everything goes wrong.

So it started fine and then she met Luke and I was like "UGH NO" because: 1) He's a soccer player, I hate them (on fiction obviously, At my school there isn't even a soccer team, so
Cassandra Page
I devoured this in a day. I don't usually read contemporary but Finding Home sucked me in. Amy's experiences with teenage parties and high school life were so authentic, despite her pop star father. She sometimes acts like a brat, but although I wanted to shake her at times, I never felt her actions were unrealistic. And after she hits rock bottom she comes out the other side, a better person who has learned from her experience and does the right thing.

Love it!
Amanda Peake
I have mixed feelings on this book by Lauren K. McKellar "Finding Home". Our MC Amy finds herself in a "new life" one that on a tour bus with a mother who pefers drinking to caring for her daughter. Amy is struggling living with her aunt and seems very unsure of herself at 17. She doesn't know about a lot of things and blames others for her issues.
The story line is well written in the sense that the progression that takes place is nicely done.
HOWEVER, I do not for the life of me understand
Haloangel Reads
Jun 12, 2014 Haloangel Reads rated it it was amazing
BOOK HANGOVER WARNING!!!

Where to start with this book???? i loved it and it has given me a book hangover something that i have not had in a long time, once starting i could not put it down i just had to see what happened and if everything was going to work out.

The main Female character Amy was going through so much after the death of her mother and her father trying to make it big as a rock star being on tour, she was drinking trying to i guess numb everything so not having to deal with it.

Amy
Caitlin Bauer
Jul 03, 2014 Caitlin Bauer rated it really liked it
Received a copy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

3.5 stars. Quick and easy read. Felt like junk food--a quick snack!

Want to commend Ms. McKellar for being an engaging storyteller. "Finding Home" is a compelling read from start to finish. She doesn't give it all away too soon, which is why I stayed involved. I pretty much wanted to smack Amy every 5 pages or so. But then I remembered she was an adolescent. I felt myself getting upset frequently because Amy makes ridiculously stupid
Jillian Lopez
I received a copy of this book from the publisher through Netgalley. Thank you Escape Publishing!

This book didn't meet my expectations, and part of it was just utter disappointment! It lacked detail, character development, and the writing failed to reach into me and grab me into the story. I felt like I was listening to Amy whining about how her "stupid" father and aunt dumped her into the "stupid" little town with her aunt. Amy just irritated me! Everything was always stupid to her, like she
Nina (The Bookish Confections)
I received an e-copy of this from Harlequin Enterprises Australia: Escape Publishing through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This however did not influence my opinion of the book or of the author in any way.

Music plus drunkard female character? Sounds fun. I said before in my review for The Spectacular Now that I couldn't get Sutter's drinking habits. But it's different with Amy. I kinda get it because she was problematic. More of a negative thinker actually. She seemed to weigh do
Ella Preuss
Dec 14, 2013 Ella Preuss rated it it was ok
I'm gonna have to call this one a DNF for me. I couldn't, just couldn't, feel anything for the MC. And whenever I thought she'd make a smarter choice, she went and did the opposite.

Too bad, I wanted to like this one!
Adrienne
I had high expectations for this book after reading its blurb and, well, look at where those got me. (AGAIN.) I expected so much from this book and after I got approved for it on Netgalley, I started it with a degree of enthusiasm even higher than what a shopaholic would feel with a new credit card in a classy boutique. My good mood only made it as far as chapter ten though. Hey-ho the mighty-o, let the rant begin below!

So. What was the problem with this one? Among many things, it was unrealisti
Sammi
Jul 31, 2014 Sammi rated it it was ok
couldn't stand the main character much. she's so self-involved until the very end of the book where she finally snaps out of it & suddenly knows better. get real.
Ashley
Jul 28, 2014 Ashley rated it it was amazing
I received this book from NetGalley. I read this title in a few hours - I didn't expect to read it in one day but I couldn't put it down! I loved the main character, Amy, and the growth that readers see in her throughout the story. The way the author uses the supporting characters to help shape her story and help her come to terms with her mother's death/ current life is wonderful. Everyone plays a very specific role in Amy's life and you can tell the author had an ultimate plan for her main cha ...more
Feli
Apr 12, 2015 Feli rated it liked it
It was a nice read. Amy was a relatable character - yes, some of her actions and thoughts are obviously misdirected, but she's an angry teenager, who just had to deal with a big loss... so this can be forgiven. The side characters - Lily, Nick, Lou, Stevie B and even Luke and Coral - were interesting and well thought out too. Most characters had a backstory and there were reasons for the way they acted. Well, Luke didn't really get a backstory. I guess he was just a douche.
What I didn't like wa
Fiction_TheNewReality
Jan 02, 2014 Fiction_TheNewReality rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, arcs
Review: So I started off this book with high hopes. I love contemporaries, and Finding Home sounded like a really good book. But I ended up kind of disappointed. I think my main problem with this book was that there were too many "blurred lines." The people in this novel didn't seem to know the difference between two contrasting points, and that really bothered me.

Characters: Alas, I did not like the characters. Our main character Amy, I found her really shallow and vain. She seemed really obli
Abbie
Jul 13, 2014 Abbie rated it it was ok
Luke was an obvious asshole. This just wasn't for me.
Paris Carter
Nov 27, 2015 Paris Carter rated it really liked it
After her mother dies, Amy is sent to live with her father on his tour bus as he travels the country as a rock star. But when her average daily drink turns into an habit, her father forces her off his tour and makes her live with her aunt Lou.

Finding Home by Lauren K. McKellar is an outstanding story focusing on Amy who is struggling with her mother’s death and constantly drinks alcohol to make herself feel better. This stuns her relationship with her father, a popular rock idol, and he sends h
Hooked On Books
May 08, 2014 Hooked On Books rated it really liked it
Shelves:
This book definitely got me hooked from the beginning. Love the way how Sarah and Colt met to how they started their relationship. This book is fast paced and it kept me on the edge of my seat. Sarah was homeschooled and she's worked at the same place since she's 16, now almost 11 years of the same thing every day every since her so called parents died she's been living day in and day out. Finally taking a chance to go out on a dinner date from Colt whom saw her across the room while having lunc ...more
Kari Anderson
Jan 25, 2014 Kari Anderson rated it really liked it
From Goodreads:
When Amy’s mum dies, the last thing she expects is to be kicked off her dad’s music tour all the way to her Aunt Lou in a depressing hole of a seaside town. But it’s okay — Amy learned how to cope with the best, and soon finds a hard-drinking, party-loving crowd to help ease the pain.

The only solace is her music class, but even there she can’t seem to keep it together, sabotaging her grade and her one chance at a meaningful relationship. It takes a hard truth from her only friend
Lauredhel
I always love reading a new Aussie YA debut! Finding Home is a straightforward little tale, barely longer than a novella - not that there's anything wrong with that. If that's how long your story takes to tell, tell it that way. I love me some shortish fiction.

Amy is the daughter of a famous musician and a dead mother. Homeschooled on the road in her Dad's tour bus for the past three years, 17-year-old Amy has her world rocked: her father sends her away to her aunt's house and to a small-town sc
Sheree

Finding Home is a story of self discovery with tough issues front and centre ... grief, alcohol abuse, unprotected sex, acceptance and relationship difficulties.

It should have been easy to dislike Amy, she's a train wreck, spiteful, obnoxious, immature and self destructive but she actually felt real. I cut her some slack as she's grieving not only the loss of her mother but what she feels is abandonment by her father.

And in truth, the significant 'parents' in the story are pretty much
Lola
Oct 11, 2013 Lola rated it really liked it
I got a copy in exchange for an honest review

I read Finding Home in one sitting, which is realy uncommon these days. I really enjoyed Finding Home, it is the story of s truggling teenager looking for a place to belong and having someone care about her and she makes quite her share of really stupid chooses on the way, but at the end she grows stronger.

Finding Home had that keep-reading-feel, the beginning felt a bit slow, but after that it really picked up pace. There where some flashbacks, but i
Rochelle
Nov 17, 2013 Rochelle rated it really liked it
Well, what a ride that was! It definitely had a gritty, darker side and was unafraid to highlight the realities of life. It dealt with a lot of issues including pain and death, alcoholism, teenage drinking and even had an unglorified first sexual experience, which was nice to see for a change even if it was a little uncomfortable to read. Music played a big role in this book, too, which I loved.

I really enjoyed this book and read most of it in one sitting, unable to put it down. Our main charact
Hazel (Stay Bookish)
Dec 15, 2013 Hazel (Stay Bookish) rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Originally posted at Stay Bookish

Being on the road with a rockstar dad is hard. But having him send you away is even harder. Amy surely wasn’t a fan of her dad’s decision to let her stay at her aunt’s. Branded as the ‘new girl’ at her new school, she meets some friends- friends who know how to party. Parties are fun but they also get out of control. A book about bad influences, bad decisions and bad experiences, Finding Home is the epitome of what a mess a teenager’s life can be.

Finding Home foc
Aussie Readers: Giveaway: eBook YA Bundle (INT ends 19th Nov) 11 16 Nov 20, 2013 12:06AM
  • When I’m With You (The Jane Austen Academy Series, #3)
  • Mutilate My Heart (Mutilated, #1)
  • Ciao (Stories About Melissa, #3)
  • Endless
  • The Recruit (MTG Agencies #1)
  • A Date of Godlike Proportions (The Blooming Goddess Trilogy, #2.5)
  • Unbreakable (Diamond Girls, #2)
  • Secrets Of Whitewater Creek
  • Before (Betwixt, #0.5)
  • True Fate (True Fate #1)
  • The Guardians Crown Parts One and Two (The Sacred Guardians #4)
  • Remember Me (Collective, #2)
  • Somewhere Only We Know
  • A Safe Space (Someone Else's Fairytale, #3.5)
  • Sun Poisoned (Sunshine #2)
  • Unbound (All Good Things #1)
  • Anywhere
  • Clancy of the Undertow
Lauren K. McKellar is the writer of contemporary romance reads that make you feel. With a passion for all things fiction, she is a hybrid-published best-selling Australian author of young and new adult books.
In addition to her fiction work, Lauren edits manuscripts for both publishing houses and a host of successful independent authors, working on both structural and line elements. She loves work
More about Lauren K. McKellar...