Start by marking “The Serpents Shadow (The Kane Chronicles Book 3)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Serpents Shadow
Rick Riordan

The Serpents Shadow (Kane Chronicles #3)

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  66,447 ratings  ·  3,471 reviews
He's b-a-a-ack! Despite their best efforts, Carter and Sadie Kane can't seem to keep Apophis, the chaos snake, down. Now Apophis is threatening to plunge the world into eternal darkness, and the Kanes are faced with the impossible task of having to destroy him once and for all. Unfortunately, the magicians of the House of Life are on the brink of civil war, the gods are di ...more
Paperback, Exclusive Short Story Edition, 452 pages
Published May 2013 by Scholastic Inc. (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Serpents Shadow, please sign up.

Tanae I believe Rick Riordan is making a third book and its going to be something about how Percy, Annabeth, and Grover meet Sadie and Carter. I think this…more I believe Rick Riordan is making a third book and its going to be something about how Percy, Annabeth, and Grover meet Sadie and Carter. I think this will be an amazing book, so just wait on it. (less)
Serena You buy it from a online business as ebook, hardcover, or a softcover book.

*edit, a few years later* Please excuse the unrestrained, hysterical ranting below. It was late and I was twelve.

AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! WHY DOES THIS HAVE TO BE ONLY A TRILOGY?!?!?!?!? DARN DARN DARN DARN DARN!!!!!!!!!!! 5 OR AT LEAST 4 BOOKS PLEEEAAAAAAAAAZEEEEEE RICK RIORDAN!!!!!!!!!!!!! MORE MORE MORE!!!!!!! S&A S&A S&AS&AS&AS&AS&AS&AS&A ARGH ARGH ARGH ARGH ARGH ARGH!!!!!!!! "The Kane Chronicles is currently set to be a trilogy, making this the final ins
Ninzy Flores
can't believe this is the last !
*puts an Imperius curse on Riordan*
*Imperio! don't end the Kane Chronicles series!*

--> hahaha =) well that sounded really lame .
Tabi Card
Ok, now I have to wait for this too!?! Still waiting till the The Son of Neptune comes out!
Well, not that too many months away I guess. I wonder if there will be anymore hints about the Manhattan side of the river.....
My brother thinks it would be pretty cool if the Kanes met Percy....

WOW!!!! Just saw the COVER!!!! BEST. ONE. YET. CANNOT WAIT!!!!!

AWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOME!!!!! Rick Riordan has done it again. Really wraps up this trilgoy...with hints to a possible follow-up.
As much as this pained me—which was a a lot, since I’m a big fan of Rick Riordan—I rated The Serpent's Shadow with a very HIGH 3.5 stars. :(

Why? What went wrong?

Allow me to start off with an obvious fact about my regards to The Kane Chronicles in general: Like many other people, I preferred the Percy Jackson and the Olympians over The Kane Chronicles. With that said, I also have to admit I consist of more knowledge on Greek mythology than Egyptian mythology. However, I loved studying both types
Daelyn Bentley-Gottel
AMAZING!!!!! as usual. Not as much split-your-side humor in this one, but the chapter titles are still hilarious and there are some awesome one-liners in here. Oh, and don't even forget the Sadie-Walt-Anubis triangle. Can you say PLOT TWIST? Definitely didn't see that coming, but I loved it. There are several twists that will make you devour the book, and it's totally worth it.5 stars, no doubt.
Nels Paulson
The one and only issue with the book is that we know from the very beginning that we win. It basically starts saying sorry, but at least we stopped doomsday. Even that, because of the tone of the books, really isn't that big of a deal. The series is fun and entertaining. It is chalked with brother sister relationship fun.

And best of all they hint at the End that there are other gods out there that they might encounter. As in the series, they already hinted that this is the same exact world Percy
Mar 15, 2015 Hayden marked it as how-bout-no  ·  review of another edition
I'm so glad he's making this a trilogy and he's not going to continue the series for ages and ages and never end it. If that was the case, you can kiss THE THRONE OF FIRE off my reading list.
อานจบทังสามเลมแลวในหัวเรามีแตภาพหุน Transformer พระเอกเขาไปฟิวชันกับบัมเบิลบีไรงี คือระหวางเคนกับเพอรซียจะมีจุดทีคอนขางตางกันชัดเจนคือเคนจะใหเทพเจามาสิงราง ถาไมใชพลังจากเทพเจา จะใหอารมณการวาดรูนเหมือนตัวละครใน The Mortal Instruments เลย สวนเพอรซียจะไดรับพลังมาจากเทพเจา สิงทีเราแอบขัดใจเลกๆคือความบังเอิญในเนือเรืองทีดูเหมือนวาจะบังเอิญเกินไปหลายครังจนนาหมันไส 555 แบบกำลังเขาตาจน ความชวยเหลือจะมาพอดี พยายามคิดอยูเสมอวานีเปนหนังสือ Middle Grade อานแลวเหมือนดูการตูร ทีอะไรกเปนไปไดทังนัน ขนาดออโรรา(S ...more
Charissa Sophia de la Rosa
EDIT: 01/13/13 Just saw how wrong some of my grammar were in this review and how I did not properly explained why I only gave this book 2 stars. So, I guess I shall rewrite it. Anyway, as of now, I shall warn you about this review I wrote. 1st: It is angsty. 2nd: there are a lot of wrong grammars. 3rd: I failed to explain my side logically. 4th: I think I misunderstood the ending (but that still didn't change my perspective to this whole trilogy). 5th: If you LOVE the ending of this book, I re ...more
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
OH BOY. The third Kane Chronicles book! (And the last one too, I think ... AAAAH.) Pretty cover. It has a giant phallus in the background. I mean, the Washington Monument.
Um well frigging amazing!! Any fans of rick? Well have you read the lost hero and remember the awesome aphrodite kids that helped piper and then there was drew well... Just like the first line on the back of the book THEY ARE BACK!!!! And apperently Sadie is all buddy buddy with Lucy and hates drew... Just one more reason I wish Sadie Kane was real so I could hug her! And OMG!!!! Zia and Carter!!! Now we need a awesome name like percabeth(Percy Annabeth) or Jipper( Jason piper) or even Peo(piper ...more
The third (and hopefully not final) instalment in the series, The Serpent's Shadow brings to light the upcoming apocalypse. Except, it isn't upcoming. It's here. The showdown we've all been waiting for - Apophis vs Ra, The Way of the Gods vs the House of Life, Good vs Evil and Protein Bars vs Macho Nachos. But, as usual, nothing goes to plan.

The Kanes face a dilemma. Apophis, using the power of Chaos, is slowly destroying the artefacts that could lead to his destruction. When the Book of Overcom
Aj the Ravenous Reader
An amazing finale to a series I've come to love. Although I will miss Sadie and Carter so bad, I know they belong to characters I certainly will not forget. I wouldn't mind reading the series all over again to be reminded. :)
1- This five star rating I gave this book, is not the same 5-star that I gave The Lord of Rings or Blindness or many other books. So this doesn't necessarily mean that this book can be compared to them. It's just means that the book was as good as I expected it to be.

2- I - MOSTLY - like the romances and the relationships in Riordan's books. They're cute and not much unbearable. Stories of Sadie with Anubis/Walt and Carter with Zia was good and understandable, even when (view spoiler)

Well that was a fun ride! Having started off sluggishly, the (supposed) trilogy didn't exactly end with a bang, but there were quite some fireworks in there nonetheless.

I say "supposed" because the very last paragraph in the book hints at a Heroes Of Olympus/Kane Chronicles crossover (I have a feeling we're going to run into Setne and the Book of Thoth pretty soon - say, September 2012?)! That should be interesting :)
This book:

And the whole series:

Actual Rating: 4,5 all about Ancient Egypt Stars...

~Few things about this book and the whole series that i liked.:
*It's all about Ancient Egypt (myths,spells,gods,monsters etc. etc. etc.),(It's true that i learned many more things now about ancient Egypt than i did before. Thank you, Mr. Rick Riordan!)
* The dual POV'S! (Carter's and Sadie's. But if you ask me which POV i have liked i will say to you that i can't choose because both POVS were great,but ok,confiden
Madeleine - Tei
I really want this now... unfortunately the wait will be looong, we don't even know when it will come out. Ayah, for now we must wait, and read other books, preferably other Rick Riordan books and perhaps some of Brandon Mull and Henry Neff.

Erm. Not really worth the wait. While I waited I started reading more classics, some fantasy, some biographies. Now this feels like junk. For some reason I've started to look at the mechanical parts of books as well as fan service.

Mechanically, this book d
Just read this with the kids. I still love Carter & Sadie, the plot was well done, interesting and fun, writing funny, etc. Sometimes it had me in stitches (and I loved hearing my 10yo giggle her head off reading it). Riordan creates the funniest chapter headings since I don't know who.

However, I still DON'T love the very early teen romance. Riordan seemed to do better with Carter & Zia in this one, it was light and puppy-ish and more about friendship. Sadie and her two lovers were a di
Maddie (Heart Full Of Books)
And finally the series is finished! This was probably my least favourite of the lot, just because it was a little repetitive, and lacking the same intensity as the other books! Still, The Kane Chronicles is definitely a worthy brother to Percy Jackson and the Olympians!
At this point, I wasn't surprised that I found the third book in the Kane Chronicles to be little more than passable. I still appreciate Riordan's take on Egyptian mythology and magic, and that both are very distinct from the way he treats Greek and Roman myths. He always has a knack for setting a scene, and he writes action really well.

Those are the positives. I still don't particularly care for either Carter or Sadie, which is a huge drawback in a series that entirely revolves around the two o

The Serpent's Shadow is a solid, fun conclusion to Rick Riordan's Egyptian version of mythology brought into the modern world. It also hints that possibly in the future there could be some Demigods and Magicians meeting up (and possibly could we see the Norse demigods featuring also?). I will admit that when it comes to children's fiction I love Rick Riordan's work. It's entertaining, features ideas and elements I love in fantasy and generally does what strong children's fiction should - be appl
I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS LAST BOOK FOR AGES! Actually, just a year, but that's still a lot of waiting.

Rick Riordan's always been among my favorite authors so it's not surprising this one nailed it. Like, REALLY nailed! I loved it! :D The plot was great, the characters were awesome, and can I just say I think Anubis is the embodiment (well, as close to embodiment gods go) of uber hotness?

The microscopic downside (because the book was still mind-blowing despite this) of this book was that it s
What an awesome ending to the series. By now Rick Riordan has a certain formula for these books which is quite noticeable, but I have to say this one's his best so far. And is it just me, or has The Kane Chronicles really grown up since the first book? The kiddie humor's still here, I was actually laughing more than usual, but there's a not really mature but older feel to this book that I really didn't get from the previous installments. Excellent all around.

Like in every single damn book since
APOPHIS : the mighty red snake/ the Lord of Chaos/ the swallower of the Sun/ the architect of doomsday/ the initiator of the Apocalypse/ the writhing, fuming, hissing gargantuan reptile that makes dear ol’Nagini look like an earthworm that wriggled out on a rainy day....yep, ol’Apophis has risen.

And the only people who have a fighting chance against him are the young brother-sister duo of Carter and Sadie Kane. The twosome are strong Egyptian magicians, who follow the paths of Horusand Isis resp
Karla Martínez
Los libros de Rick Riordan me hacen muy feliz. Me encanto.
3.5 stars.

This took me way too long.
I really hate how little credit is given to this series. Clearly it's not the same as Percy Jackson but bruh it was still hella awesome especially the character development on this one. And that PLOT TWIST, oh my god, that was impressive and I really love the overriding feels and the action-packed adventures in this book. Thanks Uncle Rick!
Oct 23, 2011 Daria marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
A trilogy, now? Well, I expect Riordan would want to buy an island and spend the rest of his days lounging on the beach, after writing a book every six months.

Either that, or Egyptian gods are much less exploitable than the Greek/Roman ones.

I'd be interested to see what Rick would do with a children's stand-alone, however.
The Serpents Shadow (book #3) is the finale of the Kane Chronicles series. The beginning was slow as usual, but the middle to end made up for that. Definitely preferred the Percy Jackson series, but the Kane Chronicles was still pretty good.
Kathy Davie
Third in the Kane Chronicles urban fantasy series for young adults and revolving around a troupe of young magicians using Egyptian magic and hoping to save the world from Chaos.

My Take
What a load of rubbish! Oh, the central storyline is good; it's Riordan's execution that had me gagging my way through. Was he in a hurry or something? Had a sudden fit of dumb?

The kids show up at a Tut exhibit party in Texas and tell Grissom that Apophis is about to attack and destroy the one remaining scroll and
The end… and Carter 11 40 Aug 20, 2015 05:15PM
Book Ramblings: The Serpents Shadow 53 9 Jul 20, 2015 02:18PM
Walt and Anubis (SPOILERS) 18 105 Mar 27, 2015 09:06AM
Which series did you like better: Kane, Heroes of Olympus, or Percy Jackson? 52 122 Jan 02, 2015 06:54PM
Kane Chronicles versus Harry Potter. Which has a better idea of magic? 10 48 Dec 11, 2014 06:49AM
Fabulous 4 Life : The Serpents Shadow 9 5 Dec 01, 2014 05:17PM
  • The Council of Mirrors (The Sisters Grimm, #9)
  • The Enchantress (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #6)
  • Seeds of Rebellion (Beyonders, #2)
  • Shell Game (Kingdom Keepers, #5)
  • The Invaders (Brotherband Chronicles, #2)
  • Odin's Ravens (The Blackwell Pages, #2)
  • Sweet Shadows (Medusa Girls, #2)
  • You Have to Stop This (Secret, #5)
  • The Black Book of Buried Secrets
  • The Fire Chronicle (The Books of Beginning, #2)
  • The Medusa Plot (39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #1)
  • The Sorcerer's Secret (Gods of Manhattan, #3)
  • Tensy Farlow and the Home for Mislaid Children
  • The Second Siege (The Tapestry, #2)
  • The Dead of Night (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #3)
  • The Last Guardian (Artemis Fowl, #8)

More about Rick Riordan...

Kane Chronicles (3 books)
  • The Red Pyramid (Kane Chronicles, #1)
  • The Throne of Fire (Kane Chronicles, #2)
The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4) The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2) The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5) The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3)

“There’s my baby!” I cried, quite carried away. “There’s my Poochiekins!”
Ammit ran at me and leaped into my arms, nuzzling me with his rough snout.
“My lord Osiris!” Disturber lost the bottom of his scroll again, which unraveled around his legs. “This is an outrage!”
“Sadie,” Dad said firmly, “please do not refer to the Devourer of Souls as Poochiekins.”
“Met them. Killed them. Got the T-shirt.” 161 likes