Start by marking “Ultra Violence” as Want to Read:
Ultra Violence

Ultra Violence

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  14 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
This is the second edition of Ultra Violence: Re-released to coincide with the release of the sequel, Violent Disorder. It is new and improved. Minor re-editing has taken place, as well as a new cover (in symmetry with the sequel, featuring some of the characters featured in both books). Otherwise it is the same book. Keep the original in good nick - it might already be a ...more
Published August 19th 2013 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published July 4th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Ultra Violence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultra Violence

Terry Tyler
Apr 08, 2015 Terry Tyler rated it really liked it
I know nothing about and have zero interest in football, and the culture of football hooliganism fascinates me only in a horrified sort of way, but having recently read Mark Barry's fabulous Once Upon A Time In The City of Criminals I wanted to know more, so chose to read this, his most successful book to date.

Something I've noticed after reading a book that's really worked for me is that I can't always remember if it was written in the first or third person, so alive were the characters. Ultra
Brenda Perlin
Jul 26, 2013 Brenda Perlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The beer is chilled and refreshing, and though you haven't had more than ten pints in the past year, you find yourself halfway through the pint as if it was iced water on a hot day."

The first thing you notice when reading this book is the writing. I say it is brilliant for lack of a better word. You are taken into the realities of life in the most unpredictable way. You can't help jotting down phrases because they are so darn clever that you wish you wrote them yourself.

The story is filled with
Mary Ann
Nov 14, 2012 Mary Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Barry delves the reader into the bygone days of British football where team followers of Notts County clash with the myriad of opposing fans, resulting in violent clashes on game day.

The story revolves around a middle-aged man whose life is in turmoil - a failed marriage, a disinterested son and a career on the line. He suddenly finds himself reunited with friends from his youthful past, and while nostalgic memories are forefront, replicating events from an earlier era becomes a reality.

I en
E.L. Lindley
Jun 18, 2015 E.L. Lindley rated it it was amazing
Ultra Violence, a book ostensibly about football hooliganism, might seem like an incongruous choice for a middle aged woman. However, this is a book that is about so much more than football and it resonated with me on so many levels.

Mark Barry’s book is set, as is his want, in Nottingham and so vivid are his descriptions of the city, it becomes almost a central character within the story. Anyone who grew up in a northern city in the late 70s and 80s will recognise a way of life that is basicall
Georgia Rose
Jan 04, 2015 Georgia Rose rated it it was amazing
I don’t think I’ve read a novel written in the second person before but I really liked it and thought it suited this storyline perfectly adding a direct, in the moment feel to the whole book. Barry’s attention to detail and his clever turn of phrase is, as always, impeccable and it didn’t matter that I don’t know Nottingham nor do I know anything about football hooliganism. I still enjoyed reading this immensely.

As well as being sometimes humourous, sometimes dark I found this to be a very movin
Mary Ann

Miss Dizzy Read
Miss Dizzy Read rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
ianlawrence
ianlawrence rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2016
Potwash
Potwash rated it it was ok
Dec 01, 2014
Jodie Melbourne
Jodie Melbourne rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2014
John Edward
John Edward rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2014
Paul Owen
Paul Owen rated it it was ok
Feb 03, 2015
David Ross
David Ross rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Shavauna
Shavauna marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2012
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2013
Mary Quallo
Mary Quallo marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2013
Bianx
Bianx marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2013
Task925
Task925 marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2015
Leslie Smith
Leslie Smith marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2016
Mark Barry, author of Hollywood Shakedown, the highly acclaimed Carla and the top selling Ultra-Violence, is a writer and publisher based in Nottingham and Southwell. He writes extensively on a variety of topics including, horseracing, football, personality disorders and human relationships, but most recently, he writes about life in Nottingham and monitors closely its ever changing face.

Mark has