Start by marking “Thinking for a Change: 11 Ways Highly Successful People Approach Life and Work” as Want to Read:
Thinking for a Change: 11 Ways Highly Successful People Approach Life and Work

Thinking for a Change: 11 Ways Highly Successful People Approach Life and Work

4.15  ·  Rating Details ·  1,861 Ratings  ·  109 Reviews
Now in paperback, New York Times bestselling author and expert on leadership John C. Maxwell explores the concept that success is really just a frame of mind. Good thinking. It's the one thing all
Published July 1st 2005 by Center Street (first published January 1st 2003)

Aronkai
Skill 6 – Feel the energy of p
Chad Warner
Jun 05, 2016 Chad Warner rated it liked it
Recommended to Chad by: Kelly Warner
This was more motivational than actionable. It's full of good reminders, but I didn't create any to-dos (as I usually do for actionable non-fiction). By the end of the book, I was asking myself, "Am I living the life I've been called to?"

To be fair, I do a lot of reading and listening about mindset. In addition, I was in a community leadership development program last year, went through a "boot camp" for web agency owners earlier this year, and am currently in a mastermind for web agency owners.
photogrl2020
May 25, 2013 photogrl2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wwdb-book-list
Gotta be at least my 2nd-3rd time reading this book, and it's still good. Definitely gets you thinking! So yes, it does exactly what the title says! Lol. Worth the read-all John Maxwell's books are good and easy reads. Simple to understand, always have little outlines for application/further thought. Highly recommended author. Everyone could learn something from him. Or lots of things. He even speaks at our organization once a yr and we love having him! (the love goes both ways, btw
Ravi Kumar Dandapani
Bruceschneider21
Very good book. All people should read this, but especially young people in the working world that want to know what to do to get ahead. Many lessons in this book with a great reflection and questions at the end of each chapter. Real life stories to make the points.
Gordon Diver
Feb 03, 2015 Gordon Diver rated it it was amazing
If you're looking for ways to develop your critical thinking and abilities to adapt to an ever changing workplace and indeed world, this is an essential read.
Jeremy
Aug 02, 2007 Jeremy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all humans
Shelves: life
My favorite Maxwell book. Great for expanding your thinking on...well...thinking.
Bianda
Aug 10, 2013 Bianda rated it liked it
Change your thinking, change your life. I think that really sums it up.
Olawoore Lawrence
Oct 12, 2016 Olawoore Lawrence rated it really liked it
C.
Dec 30, 2012 C. rated it really liked it
This is a helpful book in that it provides many insights and stories into how the way we think affects what we do, but this is also one of the first books for which I write a critical review. This is not a criticism of the man or the content, but it is, I think, a criticism of the "American Way" and the results that come from it.

I had similar reactions to reading other books of a similar genre, Steven Covey's Seven Habits and Gordon MacDonalds, Ordering Your Private World. These are all fine peo
Loy Machedo
May 07, 2012 Loy Machedo rated it really liked it

Loy Machedo’s Book Review – Thinking for a Change by John C. Maxwell.

I looked at this script with pessimism as I assumed this was another book white-washed with old recycled ideas. However, it didn’t turn out to be so. John Maxwell brought forth his ideas with sincerity and honesty – yes, there were a few old ideas but the manner in which he presented those ideas and the method he used to make his readers understand his concepts, made this book a worthwhile investment.

Maxwell divides the most i
Charmin
Jul 24, 2016 Charmin rated it really liked it
Shelves: growth
Highlights:
2. 95% of achieving is knowing what you want and paying the price to get it.

3. THINKING: Unsuccessful people focused and thinking on survival. Average people focus their thinking on maintenance. Successful people focus there getting on progress.

4. Many educators would have us believe that good grade lead to a better life and that more formal education you have the more successful you'll be. Yet education often can't deliver on such promises.

5. Creative thinking – adds value to eve
Leslie ellis
Mar 01, 2008 Leslie ellis rated it really liked it
-- the power of influence and smart thinking.

This is a new not so new way of directing thought progression. For me, it is a 'go to' when faced with business verses humanity or reversed. It's heavily sprinkled with quotes from influential authors and leaders. Quotes like "The uncreative mind can spot wrong answers, but it takes a creative mind to spot wrong questions-- Anthony Jay." one of my faves.

I apply this book personally and professionally. These tools conceptually provide answers to 'what
Leslie Shreve
Who should read this book? Anyone who wants to reach new heights of success that they 19ve never reached before and is willing to think in new and different ways to get there.

Here 19s what you can learn from this book (and these are only 5 out of the 11 types of thinking):

1. Big Picture Thinking: seeing the world beyond your own needs and how that leads to great ideas

2. Focused Thinking: removing mental clutter and distraction to realize your full potential

3. Creative Thinking: thinking outside
Ayodeji Majekodunmi
Sep 10, 2011 Ayodeji Majekodunmi rated it really liked it
One of the best books I have read in a while. Though I am not completely sold on the style, the content makes this one a winner.

Thinking for a Change concisely presents the "Thinking Skills" required for successful living. It also draws richly on experiences and stories to buttress the importance of skilled thinking.

I find this book practical, readable and relevant for daily activities and special project tasks. The take-homes from this book are numerous, but if I must summarize them, I would h
Fit4life218
Sep 09, 2016 Fit4life218 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book to making thinking an active process! Happy reading friends! Cheers! :-)
Edward Arrington
Jun 13, 2015 Edward Arrington rated it it was amazing
This is a book that needs to be read and absorbed. John C. Maxwell shares some excellent information about the importance of thinking continuously. Many of us act and then think (o maybe skip thinking altogether). He teaches that we need to think things through before acting and offers great explanations and advice on various types of thinking. His lesson is that we don't all think the same way so we need to learn the methods that works best for us and use them rather than jumping from one ...more
Justin
May 25, 2011 Justin rated it really liked it
This book talks about the different mindsets that you should have and the ones that you shouldn't have to succeed in life.It talks about the power of good thinking, which means thinking possitively all the time and thinking outside the box. It teaches you how to not be happy with the minimum and strive for the best. It talks about multiple peoples ecounters with changing their thinking proscess. This is a very motivational book.

This self-help book taught me not to be okay with the minimum and to
Roger
This book will change your life for the better. Maxwell has challenged me to alter my approach to living and it has unsettled me in the positive sort of way. Once I accepted the reality that I was not utilizing my thinking abilities in the most effective manner and got over myself by letting go of the two weeks of self-pitying funk this realization put me through, I have never felt more progressive in my life. My days are more purposeful now. I highly suggest this as a must-read for anyone. ...more
Jeff Mitchell
Oct 09, 2009 Jeff Mitchell rated it it was ok
This was my first John Maxwell book and I was not impressed. It may be my built-in prejudice against the so called self-help genre of books. The advice offered was not very insightful or inspiring. Basically, felt he was stating the obvious. I also could not help to think he was a bit egocentric. In the end I felt like by buying this book I was conned out of my money by one of those quick talking get rich (smart) quick talking salesman. Oh well...something to THINK about.
Cristobal
Sep 27, 2011 Cristobal rated it really liked it
This is a book that gets you to do just what the title says. It includes a detailed explanation of the different types of thinking out there and how each one is important to good thinking. I liked how it challenges you and would recommend it to anyone interested in improving their thinking. The only reason why I don't give it five stars is that at times the pastor and religious mentions distracted me and the book would be, in my opinion, more approachable without these.
Adam Hinckley
Aug 29, 2013 Adam Hinckley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
So, I had to laugh when one of my coworkers, who I consider extremely intellectual, was given this book by our EVP about 6 years ago. She was slightly offended by the gift given the title, but the principles in this book are wonderful. A lot of the book seems like common sense, but I did pick up a weak spot or two in my own preparation and thinking that I will pay closer attention to thanks to John Maxwell.
Jamia
Jul 26, 2007 Jamia rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: corporate types and those who want a new framework for thinking... that has its limitations.
I didn't love the book which I thought was really lacking in terms of my needs for a social justice framework and addressing systems of inequality...I also hated his idea that only unsuccessful people make decisions motivated by survival. Obviously a high-income straight white male would say that because he hasn't been forced to struggle in a system formed to oppress him... Obviously survival wouldn't occur to those this society deifies...
Thoi
Aug 11, 2010 Thoi rated it it was amazing
This book was just a shelve book until recently rediscovered it. This was a Great Read, it has helped me changed the way I think about things. I found it very helpful and useful in my daily life...I mean our mind is full of potential, we just need to excerscise and broaden our thinking to the next level. I like this book so much that I'm going to buy next book from the same author, John Maxwell.
Steph
Feb 08, 2016 Steph rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, business
I listened to the audiobook of this one, right after reading "How Successful People Think."

If you need the abridged version of the book, read "How..." - if you want a slightly meatier version - because I compared "How..." to a glorified powerpoint in written form - read or listen to the book. It was worth my time.
Jacob
Jan 02, 2011 Jacob rated it liked it
I'm starting to work my way down the stack of John C Maxwell books and this one was insightful. Its a book that after I'm not blown away by any one single new idea or thought. Nothing revolutionary but the content was good and I like a book that reminds me of all the good things I should be doing, or thinking in this case. Thanks for another good one!
Kelli Koehler
May 06, 2014 Kelli Koehler rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
“Your life today is a result of your thinking yesterday. Your life tomorrow will be determined by what you think today.”

I strongly believe that you are as good as your thoughts, and this is a whole book on that very notion. I've re-read the first half of this book several times because I think the lessons there are so powerful no matter where you are in life.
Ty
Sep 23, 2009 Ty rated it it was amazing
this book from John Maxwell focuses (as the title suggests :)) on thinking...he identifies 11 different levels or types of thinking and describes good or better thinking in each area. i found the sections on Creative and Shared thinking particularly interesting and useful. this is a quick read and very useful for folks who work in or lead creative teams.
Jolene Church
Apr 30, 2015 Jolene Church rated it it was amazing
John Maxwell consistently delivers high value. I cannot tell you how many ideas he spawned as I read. I became a better thinker just by reading this book. I cannot tell you how many pages are dogeared and highlighted. Full of so many wonderful, enlightening quotes. A very thorough book on critical thinking and productive thought.
Roxanne Christensen
I´m actually listening to it via my i pod, but It´s the second time in the past month! I for one am constantly repeating and thinking about the same stupid unimportant stuff every day and would really like to improve my thinking to benefit me and others so I will be more porductive and grow more as a person!!
  • Am I Making Myself Clear?: Secrets of the World's Greatest Communicators
  • A Better Way to Live
  • Ten Powerful Phrases for Positive People
  • The Mentor Leader: Secrets to Building People and Teams That Win Consistently
  • Life Is Tremendous
  • You Don't Need a Title to Be a Leader: How Anyone, Anywhere, Can Make a Positive Difference
  • Win: The Key Principles to Take Your Business from Ordinary to Extraordinary
  • An Enemy Called Average
  • OPM: Other People's Money: How to Attract Other People's Money for Your Investments -- The Ultimate Leverage
  • Integrity: The Courage to Meet the Demands of Reality
  • Four Pillars of a Man's Heart: Bringing Strength into Balance
  • Little Green Book of Getting Your Way: How to Speak, Write, Present, Persuade, Influence, and Sell Your Point of View to Others
  • Reinvention: How to Make the Rest of Your Life the Best of Your Life
  • Flipping the Switch: Unleash the Power of Personal Accountability Using the QBQ!
  • The Greatness Guide: 101 Lessons for Making What's Good at Work and in Life Even Better
  • Jesus, Life Coach: Learn from the Best
  • The Aladdin Factor
  • Visioneering: God's Blueprint for Developing and Maintaining Personal Vision
John C. Maxwell is an internationally recognized leadership expert, speaker, and author who has sold over 16 million books. His organizations have trained more than 2 million leaders worldwide. Dr. Maxwell is the founder of EQUIP and INJOY Stewardship Services. Every year he speaks to Fortune 500 companies, international government leaders, and audiences as diverse as the United States Military ...more
More about John C. Maxwell...

“Dont ever be impressed with goal setting; be impressed with goal getting. Reaching new goals and moving to a higher level of performance always requires change, and change feels awkward. But take comfort in the knowledge that if a change doesn't feel uncomfortable, then it's propably not really a change.” 57 likes
“Ideas have a short shelf life. You must act on them before the expiration date.” 9 likes