Start by marking “Breeding Ground” as Want to Read:
Breeding Ground

Breeding Ground

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  308 ratings  ·  45 reviews

Life was good for Matt and Chloe. They were in love and looking forward to their new baby. But what Chloe gave birth to isn t a baby. It isn t even human. It s an entirely new species that uses humans only for food and as hosts for their young.

As Matt soon learns, though, he is not alone in his terror. Women all over town have begun to give birth to these hideous creature

Mass Market Paperback, 339 pages
Published August 29th 2006 by Leisure Books

To ask other readers questions about Breeding Ground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breeding Ground

The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerPet Sematary by Stephen King
Best Horror Novels
208th out of 1,174 books — 3,692 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingThe Stand by Stephen KingIt by Stephen KingDracula by Bram Stoker'Salem's Lot by Stephen King
The Definitive Horror Book List
270th out of 771 books — 1,085 voters

More lists with this book...

Chris
Apocalyptic creature feature involving very nasty spiders taking over the planet. This book is quite a bit of fun--I started it one evening and stayed up the next evening to finish it which means I read it just a little over 24 hours. I have already purchased the sequel and plan on reading that one too.

However, it does struggle under the common weaknesses of stories of this type (creature features specifically).

First, the good. Well written. Plot just hums along with no lags in pace. Ms. Pinbor
Bandit
This was actually quite excellent. Very creepy post-apocalyptic tale with nicely fleshed out characters and eerie atmosphere.The only thing that bothered me and I wanted to mention this to maybe get some opinions from those who've read this book (view spoiler) ...more
Randolph Carter
Okay, let's just get this out of the way up front: this was the worst book I have read in a long time, which was really disappointing since I like Pinborough's The Hidden. Really bad.

There are so many problems with this it's hard to know where to start and it isn't worth your or my time to go into it in depth. I guess to get started it is a post-apocalyptic novel. The women have mostly turned into giant "widow" spiders (how anyone knows this is beyond me). The science behind this is so ludicrous
Dylan
I love this book! The best horror novel about the apocalypse ever. It's a little adult, but still very good. It's kinda like the Alien movies only the aliens are spiders. Don't let that put you off though the author writes it very well. Look this up online for a complete summery. I highly recomend this book! :D
Brian
During the past several years, apocalyptic horror novels have been filled with zombies, zombies, and more zombies. There have, however, been some exceptions -- Brian Keene's The Conqueror Worms is one, and this book, Breeding Ground, is another.

It's the end of the world, and the planet is teeming with...well...take a look at the cover, and you'll figure it out pretty quickly. While the leading theory as to how this particularly nasty infestation came about is a bit far-fetched, Pinborough's ent
Justin Holley
Oh, yeah, this is the good stuff! This is horror fiction at its finest, in my opinion. Sarah writes with a fierce, yet tight, prose that are both riveting and terrifying. Like holding onto an electric fence and not wanting to let go. I will definitely be ordering more of her work.
You don’t find a lot of books about giant killer spiders. Anyway, obviously, you have to suspend your disbelief pretty seriously to enjoy this book. It’s a leisure harbor, which means you can expect lots of blood and gore and also a lot of fast-paced excitement. Overall, I really enjoyed this – it’s hardly Shakespeare, but it’s a fast-paced story and it’s easy to put yourself in the lead character’s position as he tries to survive themonsters as well as the other humans that survived the initial ...more
Kat
Breeding Ground has been on my TBR since October 2011 and was on my wishlist for several months before that. And yes, this is a horror book about spiders - arachnophobes beware.

The story begins with a young couple, Matt and Chloe who discover that, although unplanned, Chloe is expecting their first child. Their lives are typical of a couple in their early thirties, and although unexpected, both are excited about the prospect of their new arrival. It's only as Chloe's pregnancy progresses that th
Jay Massiet
Rich
Apr 06, 2008 Rich rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: horror
In this day and age, Zombie madness has swept through horror, and while that may be a good thing, Breeding Ground struck me as a breath of fresh air. Giant spiders have taken over the world, especially in UK, and the survivalists are not the gun-toting types one normally sees in American post-apocalyptic fiction.
Trevor
Feb 27, 2009 Trevor rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Horror Aficionados
Recommended to Trevor by: Dylan
Shelves: horror
This book has all the feel of a suspenseful zombie novel...without the zombies! This is a gripping work of survival horror fans of apocalyptic literature should thoroughly enjoy.
Kimberly
Great descriptive moments! I'm looking forward to following up with the sequel.
Kylie
I like the occasional creature horror, and as a typical gory monster-taking-over-the-world book, it is perfectly fine. Enough gore to tick that box, spidery monsters are always a win. But there is so much that goes from the ridiculous to the groanworthy, that any of what is gained by decent monsters, is lost through poor writing.

The hero of the story (that is indeed a loose term), is Matt. He narrates the story and sometimes attempts to apologise for his actions, such as moving on from one woman
Daniel Russell
Drum roll please...

AS followers of my reviews will know (and without being sexist), I'm constantly on the look out for a female writer who can stand shoulder to shoulder with the big boys, a writer who is not afraid of violence or gore or plain out shocking terror!

I've read another book from Pinborough, The Reckoning, and while it was an enjoyable ride with some great moments (and I'll never look at an ant the same way again) I felt there was still another horror gear that Sarah could slip into.
Patrick
This book started out a bit slow in movement, then rapidly gained in horror content and gave you the hopes of a great ride. But after taking the sometimes painstakingly slow trek, with occasional thrills, while the writer made us know and care about her characters,we were led down the yellow brick road, only to find the Wizard was not home. She failed to pull her rabbit out of the hat. Although the thing that killed the creature , was interesting in concept, a new breed that we had little unders ...more
Carl Alves
The Breeding Ground is an absolutely chilling horror novel. It starts off innocuously enough with Matt and Chloe, a happy couple, who are going to have a baby. Things start getting bad in a hurry when Chloe develops a nasty streak that is completely unlike her personality. On top of that, she begins to develop strange lumps on her body. This isn't only happening to Chloe, but is happening to many women. Matt comes to the realization that it's not a baby who is growing inside of Chloe. These biza ...more
Querus Abuttu
Robert Beveridge
Sarah Pinborough, Breeding Ground (Leisure, 2006)

I can be stubborn at times. My local library has a selection of Sarah Pinborough's more recent novels, but since Breeding Ground was the first one I heard about, I wanted to start there. So I've held off on reading Pinborough until I could get my hands on a copy of this one, which has been out of print since about five past forever (despite a sequel having been released last year). That finally happened, and as with most genre horror, once I sat d
Daniel
A fun take on standard apocalyptic horror. Instead of the usual zombies, though, Pinborough uses (view spoiler)

So much of the story is logically inconsistent, and the plot holes are gaping - but the fun factor makes up
Melissa Helwig
Matt and Chloe are expecting a baby, but instead Chloe gives birth to a creature which looks like a giant spider. The spiders (later named "Widows") use women as hosts, killing all females in England. After the death of his beloved Chloe, Matt goes in search of other survivors. He finds a few men and, surprisingly, a few women. Together they seek a safe haven, away from the Widows.

The story moves along quickly, gripping you from page one (as I've already mentioned) and keeps you wanting to read
John
This is a great premise for a horror book: One day all women on Earth become pregnant with giant malignant psychic spiders. The gestation period is not long, and when the new spider creatures are born....

The rest of the book is standard survivor fiction, very by-the-numbers. You can easily write almost every character's story arc just a few pages after being introduced. Curiosity and a fast flowing narrative carry you forward. You know there are several more big secrets to reveal. Unfortunately,
James
this was a decently written, fast-paced monster book, and i can't really find anything wrong with that, especially when the monsters are essentially giant spiders.

the characters were all a bit of cliche (if you've ever read a stephen king book, you basically know them all already), but the horror felt interesting and if not entirely unique then at least different from most of what's out there right now (not being largely based on "man's inhumanity to man," and random acts of violence).

there was
Mii
This book was a great read!

MK (Food actvist)
Sep 19, 2008 MK (Food actvist) rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: survival horror, creature horror
While I did not quit halfway thru this book was not the page turner I was looking for. I am not sure if it's the author's characterzation or the plot that left me scratching my head. I understand that Pinborough was going for shock value but where there wasn't anything weird and strange happening or about to happen the story lagged horribly. I was not looking forward to the other book I purchased (The Taken). What I liked was the strange environment she created in which the characters had to sur ...more
Kathy
This book is silmlar to "The Feeding Ground", and A FANTASTIC READ. I also read "Feeding Ground" and it's difficult to say which one is the better book. The writer is very descriptive and you feel like you're right there with the characters, and the suspense is kept up throughout.LOVED both of them!
Mark
Oct 14, 2009 Mark rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: horror
This apocalyptic tale starts briskly - and manages to maintain the pace - and is filled with believable, clearly defined characters (apart from a few introduced later in the tale, who are little more than names), wonderful monsters and a pervasive atmosphere of dread. Well written, with several shocks in store (both in terms of story and character-life-expectancy), this is an excellent novel and I hope we get to see a sequel. Very much recommended.
carolyn
In this book, all the women are giving birth to these giant spider looking creatures who feed off humans to stay alive. Granted the women die after giving birth, so the women are few to none. People trying to survive run in to eachother and try to create a safe haven from the outside world of these creatures they have named Widows. This was an ok story, but for me personally, I think it was too long of a book that drug on in many places.
Michael
Recently, several people have asked me to suggest a book about human women giving birth to giant, carnivorous spiders. I am pleased to say that now I can! In the tradition of John Wyndham (whom the author acknowledges in her story), Breeding Ground is about the end of the world as brought about by...well, let's just say What To Expect When You Are Expecting doesn't cover this one. Light horror fun.
Joe Stamber
Women start giving birth to nasty alien spider creatures in this apocalyptic horror thriller. SP's writing style is perfect for the genre, and she keeps the reader gripped as the survivors struggle to stay alive. It's more of a 7/10 than a 4 star if you know what I mean, but any story that rattles along like this is too good for 3 stars.
Chris Williams
Read this one first and its a pretty much stand alone from the second one (Feeding Ground)....again, this would make a pretty good movie. Would love to read the third installment but if I could suggest anything to the author...give details on where these beast are really from and why they surfaced. Again a great read.
Contemporary Brit...: Breeding Ground 1 1 Feb 24, 2013 12:08AM
  • The Conqueror Worms
  • Benjamin's Parasite
  • The Pines
  • Midnight's Lair
  • House Infernal (City Infernal, #3)
  • The Loveliest Dead
  • Naomi
  • The Last Canadian
  • Slob
  • Crota: A Novel
Sarah Pinborough is the British author of five horror novels and her sixth, Feeding Ground, is due out from Leisure books in October 2009. Her short stories have appeared in several anthologies and she has also written aTorchwood novel Into the Silence for BBC Books (May 09). She is currently working on A Matter of Blood, the first of a supernatural thriller trilogy for Gollancz, which will be in ...more
More about Sarah Pinborough...
Mayhem (Mayhem, #1) Poison (Tales from the Kingdoms, #1) Into The Silence (Torchwood, #10) Charm (Tales from the Kingdoms, #2) A Matter of Blood (The Dog-Faced Gods, #1)