Start by marking “Developing the Leader Within You” as Want to Read:

Developing the Leader
Within You
is Dr. Maxwell’s first and most enduring leadership book, having
sold more than one million copies. In this Christian Leaders Series edition of
this Maxwell classic, you will discover the biblical foundation for leadership
that John Maxwell has used as a pastor and business leader for more than forty
years. These same principles and practices ar
Published October 2nd 2005 by Thomas Nelson (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Developing the Leader Within You, please sign up.

Sarah Van Der Weerd there are lots of free pdf. files, this is how i read al of those books

Christina Saldivia
Sep 16, 2011 Christina Saldivia rated it liked it
Position
a. The only influence you have comes with Title. People follow you because they have to.
i. The boss drives his workers; the leader coaches them
ii. The boss depends on authority; the leader on goodwill
iii. The boss says "I"; the leader "we"
iv. The boss fixes the blame for the breakdown; the leader fixes the breakdown
v. The boss knows how it is done: the leader shows how
vi. The boss says "Go"; the leader says "lets go"
2. Permission
a. This is the Relationship Level. Lead by interrel
Omar Halabieh
Sep 08, 2013 Omar Halabieh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Below are key excerpts from the book that I found particularly insightful:

1- "Leadership is developed, not discovered. The truly "born leader" will always emerge; but, to stay on top, natural leadership characteristics must be developed. In working with thousands of people desirous of becoming leaders, I have discovered they all fit in one of four categories or levels of leadership: The Leading Leader...The Learned Leader...The Latent Leader..The Limited Leader."

2- "Management is the process of
Mary Bellus
Oct 17, 2010 Mary Bellus rated it did not like it
I was asked to read this book for work, so I trudged through it, otherwise I would have tossed it by about the halfway point.

I feel like this book could be condensed into one chapter of simple tips and advice. The rest of it reads like a compilation of quotes, excerpts, and illustrations (especially from the Peanuts comic strip, which seems to be John Maxwell’s favorite). There’s very little of the author’s own experiences in leading people, and when he does relate a story from his experiences w
Philip Meinel
Apr 10, 2013 Philip Meinel rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
"20 percent of your priorities will give you 80 percent of your production"

"Efficiency is the foundation for survival. Effectiveness is the foundation of success."

“Integrity binds our person together and fosters a spirit of contentment within us. It will not allow our lips to violate our hearts.”

“I believe that every right implies a responsibility; every opportunity, an obligation; every possession, a duty.” –John D. Rockefeller, Jr.

“Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really
Naomi
Sep 07, 2012 Naomi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of great information on leadership. This book was recommended to me in a job interview in a school district. The interviewer said they were planning on implementing some of the information in this book to the school setting to bring about personal growth in their teachers and in the student body as a whole. There are some excellent guidelines for teachers to follow and on of those is to remember that our students are human, with basic needs and desires. Educators need to focus on the whole ...more
John
Jun 12, 2014 John rated it it was ok
I feel great ambivalence towards this book. I was swept up by the first third of it. By the middle I was harboring some nagging doubts. By the end I was seriously irked.

Let me start out by saying that there is, in fact, a great deal of valuable content within these pages, and I don't want to throw out the baby with the bath water. But it's a small baby in a big bath. The problem is not that Maxwell doesn't offer useful, pragmatic insights into leadership; he does. It's not that he doesn't suppor
Tamcamry
Mar 03, 2010 Tamcamry rated it it was amazing
• This is actually the third time that I’ve read this particular book, and I’m sure that I will read it again in the future. This book is a must read for anyone who is in a position to influence people in any way. In my current job, my focus is to get people to see the value of the product my company sells and to effectively sell it for us. This book has reminded me of some of the most basic principles of influence that I may have forgotten. Because of the new context I bring to this reading of ...more
Deborah
Feb 12, 2008 Deborah rated it did not like it
I thought I would follow my first addition to goodreads (Poisonwood Bible) with a review of the book that is currently making me roll my eyes and scribble snarky comments in the margins. Might as well hit both ends of the spectrum, for there is little to recommend this book. Maxwell has a great command of Reader's Digest-type anecdotes. Unfortunately, and no matter how witty, they rarely support his argument. In fact, *he* rarely supports his argument and, as one person I know put it, seems inca ...more
Elizabeth
Aug 17, 2015 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Shelves: work
This was a tough one for me to get through. It's essentially 200 pages of business clichés, parables and anecdotes, peppered with helpful and useful information and heavy doses of straight-up common sense.

There's some interesting workbook-style things to do, graphs, charts, and pretty poems. I did appreciate the call-outs on most of the pages to help tie it all back together, as some of the parables can start to ramble and you start to lose the core concept behind the story.

I'd still be likely t
Nick
Oct 26, 2013 Nick rated it it was amazing
An excellent guide for self development of leadership and your staff. John C. Maxwell's years of leadership experience have allowed him to distill salient leadership traits and methods for development into this very straight forward and easy to follow manual. A great read for leaders new and old. I really appreciate his focus on the people and the leader as a servant to success. His chapters on self discipline and staff development are the key to becoming a successful leader. In my opinion this ...more
Matthew
Jan 05, 2010 Matthew rated it really liked it
It's been almost 20 years since I read this book, so I figured it was time to revisit this classic. I did, and I was pleased to see that I had incorporated many of the ideas found within, and yet also challenged to continue to work hard at self-leadership.

Some of the quotes that I loved from this book are...

"Leadership is influence"

"He who thinketh he leadeth and hath no one following him is only taking a walk"

"A leader is great, not because of his or her power, but because of his or her abilit
Karol Cordero
May 06, 2015 Karol Cordero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buen libro para aprender temas de liderazgo. Me gusta de Maxwell toca todos los temas alrededor de lo que se puede encontrar un líder en una organización y propone formas de abordar dichos temas. Sugiere ideas que son prácticas y sus recomendaciones con ejemplos y frases de otras personas, te ayudan a interiorizar las ideas. Me gustó mucho y espero poder ponerlo en práctica.
Sam B
Mar 17, 2015 Sam B rated it it was ok
What little original work is in this book, and I assure you it is very little, is elementary at best and naive, feel-good, peddling more of his work at worst. I cannot and would not recommend this to anyone.

The only reason I gave it two stars is because he at least used some valuable quotes from other people.
Kelly Murray
Jul 29, 2009 Kelly Murray rated it really liked it
Though leadership isn't a quality I think I naturally possess, who says it can't be developed? Good stuff. People can't follow someone who doesn't know where they're going, and this book helps clarify what one needs to do in order to manage one's self first before taking on others.
Sharon Joag
Dec 10, 2015 Sharon Joag rated it it was amazing
A great read, especially if you are working in an organizational hierarchy, or a small business.
Motivational & Inspiring.
I took lots of notes while reading.
I love Maxwell's use of quotes throughout this book!
Love this author, and will definitely read more of his books!
Nick
Oct 05, 2010 Nick rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Pastors, managers, buisness owners
Shelves: leadership, own
Great book. Loads of practical material worth rereading and writing down. It is easy to read, and, while I know that some people complain that he uses a lot of illustrations and cites comics quite a bit, I think that these provide tangible material to remember and hold on to.
Bade
Feb 22, 2016 Bade rated it it was amazing
Quick read. Audiobook (on Soundcloud) is just 2.5 hours. This is, surprisingly, a fantastic book. Content not as corny as the title sounds. Every word is like an espresso. Useful in all spheres of life. Will be rereading this monthly.
Chris Goyzueta
Dec 18, 2016 Chris Goyzueta rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book! Great book on leadership. I might get this as an audiobook for annual inspiration.
Steve Grotheer
Apr 21, 2014 Steve Grotheer rated it really liked it
great, easy read touching on all the key fundamentals of successful leadership. Includes lots of great anecdotes and stories to support the recommendations.
Breanna
Feb 10, 2016 Breanna rated it really liked it
Great! Worked through this as part of a 6 month class. Lots of steadfast basics but also some great unexpected points.
Daniel Osborne
Jan 24, 2017 Daniel Osborne rated it really liked it
Developing the Leader Within You by John C. Maxwell

To the point, direct, with questions that probe, inspire introspection, and cause personal identification of strengths, weaknesses, and character. I found myself highlighting good material throughout.

The style is inviting, while deceptively hard-hitting. Not necessarily a page turner in the beginning, but it picked up a solid head of steam towards the end.

The book feels open-ended, and expectedly so, considering the breadth of literature penned
Tricia
Feb 25, 2017 Tricia rated it it was amazing
This book is so full of fabulous nuggets for growth! Unfortunately, I chose to listen to this book on audio. Audio would be a great option AFTER you have read its pages, used as a refresher. You will want to read this book first because there is so much information that needs to be seen and highlighted to begin to comprehend it all. Read this book with multiple pens in hand and possibly a journal if you keep track of useful tips. As Maxwell goes through the book, he offers up point after point t ...more
Katy English
May 14, 2017 Katy English rated it it was amazing
I think this is an important book for almost anyone to read. Whether you are in a position of leadership, working your way towards one, or want nothing to do with being a leader - this book is great to understand what a leader must do and ehat qualities to possess. Also good insight on whether you are helping or hurting your leader. I really enjoyed this book and will be coming back to it again.
Wally
Mar 19, 2017 Wally rated it did not like it
Ugh.

If you think reading a 200 page Successories poster sounds good, this is the book for you. If you appreciate thoughtful, well-researched, and evidence-based material, look elsewhere.

I appreciate Maxwell's effort to convince people that leadership can be taught and cultivated, but he never takes that idea beyond cute stories and clichés.
Jacob
May 26, 2017 Jacob rated it it was amazing
Good read!
Darrin Niday
May 15, 2017 Darrin Niday rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, leadership
Love his leadership advise, it is great and teaches how to lead, communicate, and how to treat others, even the older book still prevalent today. Great advice for leaders at all levels.
Lane Halterman
Quotable

Lots of good quotes about leadership. Nothing revolutionary, but good for group discussion. I used this for a grad class on leadership.
Marissa Kasang
Mar 20, 2017 Marissa Kasang rated it it was amazing
This book is really an eye-opening to me. Those who intend to make a difference and to be an inspiration to others, then this book is for you! I bet you will want to read this book more than once to make sure that the principles in this book are engraved in your mind.
Sut Mai
Mar 14, 2017 Sut Mai is currently reading it
Shelves: a
within from myself, talent
growth to develop
Joseph McKnight
Mar 02, 2017 Joseph McKnight rated it really liked it
A short read with a lot of tried and true nuggets of wisdom. Well worth the small effort to read.
  • Visioneering: God's Blueprint for Developing and Maintaining Personal Vision
  • Flipping the Switch...: Unleash the Power of Personal Accountability Using the QBQ!
  • The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)
  • Leadership and Liberty
  • Bringing Out the Best in People: How to Enjoy Helping Others Excel
  • The Legend of the Monk and the Merchant: Principles for Successful Living
  • Courageous Leadership
  • No More Mondays: Fire Yourself -- and Other Revolutionary Ways to Discover Your True Calling at Work
  • Lincoln on Leadership: Executive Strategies for Tough Times by Donald T. Phillips, Phillips
  • You Don't Need a Title to Be a Leader: How Anyone, Anywhere, Can Make a Positive Difference
  • The Choice
  • How to Have Confidence and Power in Dealing with People
  • See You at the Top
  • Principle-Centered Leadership
  • The Power of Who: You Already Know Everyone You Need to Know
  • Voyage of a Viking: How a Man of Action Can Become a Man of Grace
  • Wooden on Leadership: How to Create a Winning Organizaion
  • The Serving Leader: Five Powerful Actions That Will Transform Your Team, Your Business, and Your Community
John C. Maxwell is an internationally recognized leadership expert, speaker, and author who has sold over 16 million books. His organizations have trained more than 2 million leaders worldwide. Dr. Maxwell is the founder of EQUIP and INJOY Stewardship Services. Every year he speaks to Fortune 500 companies, international government leaders, and audiences as diverse as the United States Military Ac ...more
More about John C. Maxwell...

“Poem by Howard A. Walter (Character)

I would be true, for there are those who trust me;
I would be pure, for there are those who care;
I would be strong, for there are those who suffer;
I would be brave, for there is much to dare.
I would be friend of all--- the foe, the friendless;
I would be giving, and forget the gift;
I would be humble, for I know my weakness;
I would look up, and laugh, and love, and lift.”
199 likes
“There was a very cautious man
Who never laughed or played
He never risked, he never tried,
He never sang or prayed.
And when he on day passed away,
His insurance was denied,
For since he never really lived,
They claimed he never really died.

(Anonymous poem)”