Start by marking “Developing the Leader Within You” as Want to Read:

Developing the Leader
Within You
is Dr. Maxwell’s first and most enduring leadership book, having
sold more than one million copies. In this Christian Leaders Series edition of
this Maxwell classic, you will discover the biblical foundation for leadership
that John Maxwell has used as a pastor and business leader for more than forty
years. These same principles and practices ar
Published October 2nd 2005 by Thomas Nelson (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Developing the Leader Within You, please sign up.

Ahinch Im not sure about online but I got it at the library easily
Developing the Leader Within You by John C. MaxwellHow Successful People Think by John C. MaxwellToday Matters by John C. MaxwellBecoming a Person of Influence by John C. MaxwellThe Difference Maker by John C. Maxwell
Best of John Maxwell
1st out of 31 books — 51 voters
Good to Great by James C. CollinsThe Art of Startup Fundraising by Alejandro CremadesHow to be Successful in Present Day World by Pradeep ChaswalGetting Things Done by David AllenDeveloping the Leader Within You by John C. Maxwell
Career Success
5th out of 136 books — 207 voters

More lists with this book...

Christina Saldivia
Sep 16, 2011 Christina Saldivia rated it liked it
Position
a. The only influence you have comes with Title. People follow you because they have to.
i. The boss drives his workers; the leader coaches them
ii. The boss depends on authority; the leader on goodwill
iii. The boss says "I"; the leader "we"
iv. The boss fixes the blame for the breakdown; the leader fixes the breakdown
v. The boss knows how it is done: the leader shows how
vi. The boss says "Go"; the leader says "lets go"
2. Permission
a. This is the Relationship Level. Lead by interrel
Omar Halabieh
Nov 03, 2013 Omar Halabieh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Below are key excerpts from the book that I found particularly insightful:

1- "Leadership is developed, not discovered. The truly "born leader" will always emerge; but, to stay on top, natural leadership characteristics must be developed. In working with thousands of people desirous of becoming leaders, I have discovered they all fit in one of four categories or levels of leadership: The Leading Leader...The Learned Leader...The Latent Leader..The Limited Leader."

2- "Management is the process of
Mary Bellus
Oct 24, 2010 Mary Bellus rated it did not like it
I was asked to read this book for work, so I trudged through it, otherwise I would have tossed it by about the halfway point.

I feel like this book could be condensed into one chapter of simple tips and advice. The rest of it reads like a compilation of quotes, excerpts, and illustrations (especially from the Peanuts comic strip, which seems to be John Maxwell’s favorite). There’s very little of the author’s own experiences in leading people, and when he does relate a story from his experiences w
Philip Meinel
Apr 10, 2013 Philip Meinel rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
"20 percent of your priorities will give you 80 percent of your production"

"Efficiency is the foundation for survival. Effectiveness is the foundation of success."

“Integrity binds our person together and fosters a spirit of contentment within us. It will not allow our lips to violate our hearts.”

“I believe that every right implies a responsibility; every opportunity, an obligation; every possession, a duty.” –John D. Rockefeller, Jr.

“Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really
Naomi
Sep 12, 2012 Naomi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of great information on leadership. This book was recommended to me in a job interview in a school district. The interviewer said they were planning on implementing some of the information in this book to the school setting to bring about personal growth in their teachers and in the student body as a whole. There are some excellent guidelines for teachers to follow and on of those is to remember that our students are human, with basic needs and desires. Educators need to focus on the whole ...more
John
Jun 20, 2014 John rated it it was ok
I feel great ambivalence towards this book. I was swept up by the first third of it. By the middle I was harboring some nagging doubts. By the end I was seriously irked.

Let me start out by saying that there is, in fact, a great deal of valuable content within these pages, and I don't want to throw out the baby with the bath water. But it's a small baby in a big bath. The problem is not that Maxwell doesn't offer useful, pragmatic insights into leadership; he does. It's not that he doesn't suppor
Deborah
Feb 12, 2008 Deborah rated it did not like it
I thought I would follow my first addition to goodreads (Poisonwood Bible) with a review of the book that is currently making me roll my eyes and scribble snarky comments in the margins. Might as well hit both ends of the spectrum, for there is little to recommend this book. Maxwell has a great command of Reader's Digest-type anecdotes. Unfortunately, and no matter how witty, they rarely support his argument. In fact, *he* rarely supports his argument and, as one person I know put it, seems inca ...more
Tamcamry
Mar 03, 2010 Tamcamry rated it it was amazing
• This is actually the third time that I’ve read this particular book, and I’m sure that I will read it again in the future. This book is a must read for anyone who is in a position to influence people in any way. In my current job, my focus is to get people to see the value of the product my company sells and to effectively sell it for us. This book has reminded me of some of the most basic principles of influence that I may have forgotten. Because of the new context I bring to this reading of ...more
Elizabeth
Aug 17, 2015 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Shelves: work
This was a tough one for me to get through. It's essentially 200 pages of business clichés, parables and anecdotes, peppered with helpful and useful information and heavy doses of straight-up common sense.

There's some interesting workbook-style things to do, graphs, charts, and pretty poems. I did appreciate the call-outs on most of the pages to help tie it all back together, as some of the parables can start to ramble and you start to lose the core concept behind the story.

I'd still be likely t
Sharon Joag
Dec 10, 2015 Sharon Joag rated it it was amazing
A great read, especially if you are working in an organizational hierarchy, or a small business.
Motivational & Inspiring.
I took lots of notes while reading.
I love Maxwell's use of quotes throughout this book!
Love this author, and will definitely read more of his books!
Nick
Jun 10, 2016 Nick rated it it was amazing
An excellent guide for self development of leadership and your staff. John C. Maxwell's years of leadership experience have allowed him to distill salient leadership traits and methods for development into this very straight forward and easy to follow manual. A great read for leaders new and old. I really appreciate his focus on the people and the leader as a servant to success. His chapters on self discipline and staff development are the key to becoming a successful leader. In my opinion this ...more
Bade
Feb 22, 2016 Bade rated it it was amazing
Quick read. Audiobook (on Soundcloud) is just 2.5 hours. This is, surprisingly, a fantastic book. Content not as corny as the title sounds. Every word is like an espresso. Useful in all spheres of life. Will be rereading this monthly.
Matthew
Aug 15, 2015 Matthew rated it really liked it
It's been almost 20 years since I read this book, so I figured it was time to revisit this classic. I did, and I was pleased to see that I had incorporated many of the ideas found within, and yet also challenged to continue to work hard at self-leadership.

Some of the quotes that I loved from this book are...

"Leadership is influence"

"He who thinketh he leadeth and hath no one following him is only taking a walk"

"A leader is great, not because of his or her power, but because of his or her abilit
Breanna
Feb 10, 2016 Breanna rated it really liked it
Great! Worked through this as part of a 6 month class. Lots of steadfast basics but also some great unexpected points.
Ahinch
Oct 31, 2015 Ahinch rated it it was amazing
This book is a bestseller for a reason. I suggest reading this book multiple times for someone who wants to be in, understand or is in management and needs a refresher. Also, it may just be a good book to understand how people think and work. Too many people think they know everything but do you really?

The chapters go over influencing others, prioritizing work, having integrity, creating a positive change at work, solving problems, attitude, developing your people, having a vision, maintaining s
Karol Cordero
Aug 02, 2015 Karol Cordero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buen libro para aprender temas de liderazgo. Me gusta de Maxwell toca todos los temas alrededor de lo que se puede encontrar un líder en una organización y propone formas de abordar dichos temas. Sugiere ideas que son prácticas y sus recomendaciones con ejemplos y frases de otras personas, te ayudan a interiorizar las ideas. Me gustó mucho y espero poder ponerlo en práctica.
Sam Belsterling
Mar 22, 2015 Sam Belsterling rated it it was ok
What little original work is in this book, and I assure you it is very little, is elementary at best and naive, feel-good, peddling more of his work at worst. I cannot and would not recommend this to anyone.

The only reason I gave it two stars is because he at least used some valuable quotes from other people.
Kelly Murray
Sep 01, 2009 Kelly Murray rated it really liked it
Though leadership isn't a quality I think I naturally possess, who says it can't be developed? Good stuff. People can't follow someone who doesn't know where they're going, and this book helps clarify what one needs to do in order to manage one's self first before taking on others.
Desiray
Feb 02, 2016 Desiray rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone in leadership
This is a great book it opened my eyes to what leadership looks like. But what made me purchase the book was when I heard him speak for the first time. I attended a seminar where he was and the more he talked the more I was interested in developing the leader within me. When the seminar was over I purchased the book and that night I must of read three chapters in the first night. Something on the inside of me was stirring up that wanted to know more. Glad I attended the seminar other wise I don' ...more
Sambasivam Mani
Jun 07, 2015 Sambasivam Mani rated it it was amazing
Most inspiring book which can be used as handbook/dictionary for people who wants to be a leader. People who think what it takes to become a leader should refer this book again and again. Author says Leadership is Influence. That's it. Nothing More, Nothing Less.

Even though leadership is defined by the word influence it also includes some other qualities like Integrity, Attitude and Self-Discipline.

One who possess all these qualities can become a leader, however it requires additional values su
Steve Grotheer
Apr 21, 2014 Steve Grotheer rated it really liked it
great, easy read touching on all the key fundamentals of successful leadership. Includes lots of great anecdotes and stories to support the recommendations.
Amy
Sep 11, 2016 Amy rated it it was ok
I read this as part of a staff summer reading book club at my office and enjoyed the conversations that it inspired. It had a few good tips for developing leadership, but not enough substance to be worth a book. The chapters are filled with platitudes and corny jokes and "one-liners" without a lot of depth, statistics, or evidence. I was turned-off by the fact the fact that he is a preacher and further turned-off when he worked religion and stories about his congregation into the book. I would n ...more
Tibyan
Mar 13, 2012 Tibyan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book of Maxwell is worth reading, i like his style in combination of christian series or wisdom words come from the Bible and collected poems, also the experiences from great leaders.
Traits is raw material of leadership linked up with desire, nothing can stop u. The meaning of leadership is influence, nothing more.

"This world needs leaders...

who use their influence at the right times for the right reasons;
who take a little greater share of the blame and a little smaller share
of the cred
Jace
Mar 08, 2013 Jace rated it it was amazing
John Maxwell is a super-genius. One of the great things about this book is that through reading it, Maxwell lends you his experienced perspective, which is no small thing.

My biggest critique is that like many leadership books, there are places where it feels a bit "fluffy" at times. These are places where the pure actionable points are surrounded by personal stories, quotes, and poems that lend a (necessary) narrative flow to the chapters, but also boggs down your reading progress.

That aside, t
Fermin Quant
Jan 02, 2015 Fermin Quant rated it it was ok
Good insights for leadership in the enterprise environment, not aimed for real world leadership. The worst part is that it is sooooo boring after the first 1/4 of the book. It felt like a drag to read the rest, even though you know that the information is useful, it is just written in such a way that it makes you want to stop reading, in spite of the useful content.
Meowmeow
Mar 04, 2016 Meowmeow rated it it was amazing
I checked out this book from the library for my leadership class. I love it so much that I'm gonna buy a copy for myself! The ideas are so easy to follow and each chapter ends with exercises you can try to develop leadership qualities. I highly recommend this book to novice and seasoned leaders. Even if you're not a leader now, this book will show you how!
Greg
Jan 08, 2015 Greg rated it liked it
Shelves: business
This book is full of great wisdom on what one has to do to develop his/her leadership skills. I like the idea that John Maxwell started by defining leadership as influence. This is a basic principles which I think will endure the test of time. The rest of the idea are really useful especially for those who are starting their leadership journey, which by the way means when you start influencing other people in your own way.

What made me give this book a low rating is the high amount of typographic
Alton
Mar 08, 2014 Alton rated it it was amazing
Good book! Chapter six refers to attitude. You're attitude will have some affect upon what you actually gain from this book. Developing as a leader was a plus in my book. More importantly, John Maxwell explains developing as an individual. I highly recommend reading this book more than once.
Jaimie Cole
I like to read books on leadership. This book was recommended by a respected colleague. It covers a lot of leadership principles. One particular chapter on staff development caught my attention the most. It made me think about the people on my team and how much I appreciate them.
  • Visioneering: God's Blueprint for Developing and Maintaining Personal Vision
  • Flipping the Switch...: Unleash the Power of Personal Accountability Using the QBQ!
  • The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)
  • Leadership and Liberty
  • Bringing Out the Best in People: How to Enjoy Helping Others Excel
  • The Legend of the Monk and the Merchant: Principles for Successful Living
  • Courageous Leadership
  • No More Mondays: Fire Yourself -- and Other Revolutionary Ways to Discover Your True Calling at Work
  • Lincoln on Leadership: Executive Strategies for Tough Times
  • You Don't Need a Title to Be a Leader: How Anyone, Anywhere, Can Make a Positive Difference
  • The Choice
  • How to Have Confidence and Power in Dealing with People
  • See You at the Top
  • Principle-Centered Leadership
  • The Power of Who: You Already Know Everyone You Need to Know
  • Voyage of a Viking
  • Wooden on Leadership: How to Create a Winning Organizaion
  • The Serving Leader: Five Powerful Actions That Will Transform Your Team, Your Business, and Your Community
John C. Maxwell is an internationally recognized leadership expert, speaker, and author who has sold over 16 million books. His organizations have trained more than 2 million leaders worldwide. Dr. Maxwell is the founder of EQUIP and INJOY Stewardship Services. Every year he speaks to Fortune 500 companies, international government leaders, and audiences as diverse as the United States Military Ac ...more
More about John C. Maxwell...

“Poem by Howard A. Walter (Character)

I would be true, for there are those who trust me;
I would be pure, for there are those who care;
I would be strong, for there are those who suffer;
I would be brave, for there is much to dare.
I would be friend of all--- the foe, the friendless;
I would be giving, and forget the gift;
I would be humble, for I know my weakness;
I would look up, and laugh, and love, and lift.”
193 likes
“There was a very cautious man
Who never laughed or played
He never risked, he never tried,
He never sang or prayed.
And when he on day passed away,
His insurance was denied,
For since he never really lived,
They claimed he never really died.

(Anonymous poem)”