The 21 Indispensable Qualities of a Leader: Becoming the Person Others Will Want to Follow

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  1,854 ratings  ·  115 reviews
In the tradition of his CBA bestseller "The 21 Irrefutable laws of Leadership" and his sell-out seminars, author John C. Maxwell now provides a concise, accessible leadership book that helps readers become more effective leaders from the inside out. Daily readings highlight twenty-one essential leadership qualities and include "Reflecting On It" and "Bringing It Home" sect...more
Published June 22nd 1999 by Nelson Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The 21 Indispensable Qualities of a Leader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 21 Indispensable Qualities of a Leader

The Jetstream of Success by Julian PencilliahHow to be Successful in Present Day World by Pradeep ChaswalThe 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveySecret to Startup Failure by Sonia LinWalking the Corporate Beat by Michael Tabman
Leadership & Business Books
33rd out of 112 books — 134 voters
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskySpeak by Laurie Halse AndersonGirl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy ChevalierConfessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire
Best Books of 1999
141st out of 216 books — 106 voters

More lists with this book...

Rebecca
May 31, 2011 Rebecca rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rebecca by: Ilene Mecham
I'm not a great leader: I speak my mind too freely, I'm not good at delegating, and sometimes I have a hard time hiding the fact that certain people irritate me. Believe me, I know my own weaknesses (most people do.) and I'm working on improving them.

While this book was chalk full of good qualities to have, I couldn't help but feel like I was sitting in some motivational seminar where someone was trying to sell me something. (I dislike the disingenuity of motivational speakers. Rather than feeli...more
Estevo Raposo
El ameno estilo de John C.Maxwell hace que el libro se pueda escuchar casi de un tirón, pero el propio autor nos recomienda al principio, con muy buen criterio, no hacerlo: está pensado para entrar en nuestra vida por “sedimentación”, poco a poco. Una cualidad al día es un buen ritmo. Aunque fue escrito después de The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership, debería ser leído antes, por ser más directo y básico.

Las 21 cualidades que Maxwell disecciona en este libro, con consejos prácticos y directos p...more
Gbello
Jul 18, 2011 Gbello added it
I find the book really helpful...for a busy person this book is a quick read, has great stories of people that are inspiring, it is to the point with the advise on what each quality is and what you need to know on how to improve for each if you need to improve on them, and you can always go back and reflect on this information. Being a leader is constant improvement and maintaining leadership is just constant.
Tihomir
It was one of the most interesting book on leadership I read. It contains a lot of useful and practical lessons which will help me to develop my leadership habits. Thanks Mr. Maxwell!
A r a k Mc
إهداء المدربة نورة الفليج. مُلهِم ويذكر ببعض اللفتات والمواقف المهمّة. تُعجبني الأمثلة الواقعية.
John
Yet another openly ghost-written John Maxwell business book. The writing is simplistic, the examples dated and naive, frequent references are made to other books available from the author, and most annoying of all are the references to jargony names of the "Laws" he's defined in other books.

That said, even with all its stylistic flaws the book's content seems remarkably useful to developing leadership. The 21 chapters each describe a character trait successful leaders must possess. "Maxwell" enc...more
David J. Scott
I'm not even done with it and I've been amazed by what it has been teaching me. Although the book is simplistic in style and open to many types of leadership, it poses many good points on how to be a leader in good and bad times.

What I've learned most is when he tells a story about a leader that achieved great things because of their intuition, drive, passion, listening, and so on and so forth. It allowed me to see deeper into the process of Sam Walton of Wal-Mart and Oprah Winfrey and how they...more
Kim Tong Lim
It has provided me guidance as I lead a team in my job. It contains several gems of ideas and qualities which we should adopt.

Of the 21 indispensable qualities, Character was in the first chapter of the book. Character comes with it Integrity and strong moral values. Several major corporate scandals invariably boil down to leaders who were of dubious or unethical characters. Character also refers to a strong will to stand up for your values and to take courage to defend the weak or right the unj...more
Brandy Boyd
“People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care”,a quote by John C. Maxwell. This book was hard to stay interested in, but overall it was very helpful in changing my attitude toward myself and others in a positive way. This book includes graphs and charts that are easy to understand and work with. I recommend this book to anyone who feels less respected than they would like. It is like getting advice from your grandpa, it's useful but hard to hear and follow.
Quincy
Solid principles, Great book!

John Maxwell does a great job writing a book that connects with readers on multiple levels. He provides historical references of successful leaders who have embodied the traits and characteristics mentioned in each chapter. He further aligns each section with take aways that help the reader gain knowledge on how to incorporate proven methods and techniques to become a better leader.
Mohammad  El-Bishry‎‏
أصدار مكتبة جرير بعنوان 21 صفة لا غنى عنها في القائد تأليف جون سي ماكسويل
كتاب خفيف بخفة كتب عربية مثل "بيكاسو وستار بوكس" و "كخة يا بابا" ولكن تخرج منه بفائدة عملية على سبيل المثال قرأت فيه عن الكارزما أحدى الصفات الــ21 وتذكرت ضابطاً بدوياً جمعتني الصدف به قبل نحو 15 سنة أثناء دورة عسكرية وكان ينظر الي مبتسماً ويسألني عن أحوالي وكان يعرف إسمي دون أعلم كيف عرف أسمي وكان هذا هو سلوكه مع البقية , و ما كان يفعله هو ما وصفه مؤلف الكتاب بالكارزما. أيضاً صديقي الآن الشيخ عبدالله الذي يسافر و يهديني كت...more
Jason
Sep 17, 2008 Jason rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Execs., managers, etc
Recommended to Jason by: Fomer GM
I know, I know. A book about leadership and how great can that actually be. Well, pretty damn great in this case. The book is small (155 pgs) and the synopsis of the "qualities" are short, but what makes the book great is the common sense approach to a subject that some of us really use in everyday life. Whether you're a seasoned pro or a new manager this book will offer a great refresher course or a foundation for what great leadership really is: Developing effective communication.

I have been r...more
Donald McKinnon
I place this in a lower star only cause some of it is a no brained, but Maxwell dies share throughout history the qualities good leaders have.
Laura-Jane Barber
I enjoyed the real life stories of people imbedded in the lessons. Good stuff!
Matthew Berkshire
Every book says the same thing, and I hate that he quotes himself in the begining of chapters next to such amazing people.
William
I found some of this book to be contradictory,and I didn't really care for many of the examples. However, some of the book was good and thought provoking. I think it just seemed too much like Maxwell had been told he had to have 21 characteristics, and he was really stretching to get them. I also don't think you should quote yourself in a book about leadership... I mean, who is John Maxwell? I had never heard of him before I read this book, and I haven't heard of him since. Perhaps I just don't...more
Clackamas
Mar 17, 2008 Clackamas rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Clackamas by: Work reading list
I've had to read so many of these books for work and absolutely hate them. That said, this one was better than most. It posed pretty much the same ideas as the others, but it didn't try to compare workers to mice, fish, or any other animals. In other words, the reason I gave it four stars wasn't so much because it was great, but because it didn't talk down to the reader as much as most of the others of the genre. It also reinforced my belief that there are way too many people in leadership posit...more
Philip Prem
awwesome
Melinda
Excellent book. This is a good read, not only for leaders of organizations, but also for those leading families.

Colin
Decent advice for leading in the business world, with short biographies from the lives of famous entrepreneurs and business folks. The qualities are well-worth developing, and Maxwell makes a good case for why they are needed and how they work. However, beware of the guarantee of "becoming the person others will want to follow." The qualities in and of themsevles are not a cure-all for every situation or challenge. Call them "necessary but not sufficient."
Carl Rivera
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Very quick read, but great resource when reevaluating one's self. Highly recommend to read through once and keep aside for future reference!
Ernesto Osorno
John Maxwell en este libro da una serie de tips para el desarrollo de aptitudes que ayudarán a las personas a ser un mejor líder, aunque no necesariamente se encuentran relacionadas a líderes, también ayudan a tener un mejor desenvolvimiento y empatía con las personas que nos rodean.

Considero que es una lectura amena y recomendada para cualquier persona que busque desarrollar aptitudes para una mejor convivencia con las personas de su entorno.
Alcqueline
I actually enjoyed reading this book. It helped me focus on the less attractive qualities of my leadership abilities. Immediately, I started working on my negative aspects, a moment of personal growth. People couldn’t believe the results…they keep asking me is this the real you? Yes, I have always been this way. And, now I know how to let all of my positive characteristics shine through all the time. What an uplifting eye-opener!
Mohamad Dahrouj
العبقرية تسعة وتسعون بالمائة جهدا وواحد بالمائة إلهام.
إن استطعنا فعل كل ما باستطاعتها فعله فسوف تذهل العالم .
الكثير من حالات الفشل حدثت لأن الناس لم يدركوا حين قرروا الاستسلام كم كانوا قريبين من النجاح.
ان لم تستطع ان تجد شخصا يساعدك بصورة شخصية ابدأ بقراءة الكتب.
استمع للهمسات ولن تضطر لسماع الصرخات.
ان معيار القائد الحقيقي ليس عدد الاشخاص الذين يخدمونه بل عدد الاشخاص الذين يخدمهم .
Dianne Sykora
This is one of the few books on leadership that I use on a regular basis as a guide when mentoring leaders, as well as when I need to "go to the well" for encouragement or a refresher for myself. John Maxwell is my favorite author/expert on the topic of leadership. He approaches the issues from both a Christian and a practical, common sense perspective.
Rebekah Rooker
Jan 12, 2008 Rebekah Rooker rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: leaders; those inspiring to be leaders; followers...everyone
Recommended to Rebekah by: Greg James/ Kirk Pankratz
I have this on audio book...I would listen as I took my walks...great inspirational tool. As I was listening to Maxwell I felt myself enlarge...become stronger inside. It was not long after listening to this series that I got promoted in a volunteer position and then was over several tens instead of the few I was under before. Great book!!
Dayla
A little light for my tastes, but some people swear by this book. But the book's information soon wears thin. But J Maxwell does have other books that are good. Including one that sounds to make Maxwell's case even more scientific. Something like, "21 Irrefutable Truths for Leaders."
Brenda L Roberts
If you are leading, and noone is following, you are just taking a walk! John Maxwell is definitely the "guru" (in my opinion)of the leadership arena! Becoming a leader is no easy task; it takes work, patience, and much prayer! Excellent source for anyone who wants to become a leader!
Elayna Fernandez
What a treat! Like all John C. Maxwell books, this is a gem. I loved the easy action steps to improve the practice of core principles to succeed and be fulfilled that are universal to all humankind and essential to success at work, at home, and in any setting. 5 stars!
Carrie
Quick, easy read. Good advice, though mostly reminders if you've ever had any leadership courses/training before. I don't care for his advice about God; I think leadership is about your actions and thoughts, and doing things for the right reasons, not because God tells you to.
  • Wooden on Leadership: How to Create a Winning Organizaion
  • Courageous Leadership
  • You Don't Need a Title to Be a Leader: How Anyone, Anywhere, Can Make a Positive Difference
  • Bringing Out the Best in People: How to Enjoy Helping Others Excel
  • Visioneering: God's Blueprint for Developing and Maintaining Personal Vision
  • The Five Temptations of a CEO: A Leadership Fable
  • The Mentor Leader: Secrets to Building People and Teams That Win Consistently
  • Little Green Book of Getting Your Way: How to Speak, Write, Present, Persuade, Influence, and Sell Your Point of View to Others
  • Integrity: The Courage to Meet the Demands of Reality
  • A Sense of Urgency
  • The Leadership Challenge
  • Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Leadership
  • Lincoln on Leadership: Executive Strategies for Tough Times
  • The Top Ten Mistakes Leaders Make
  • Go for No! Yes is the Destination, No is How You Get There
  • Monday Morning Leadership: 8 Mentoring Sessions You Can't Afford to Miss
  • The Making of a Leader: Recognizing the Lessons and Stages of Leadership Development
  • The One Thing You Need to Know: ... About Great Managing, Great Leading, and Sustained Individual Success
John C. Maxwell is an internationally recognized leadership expert, speaker, and author who has sold over 16 million books. His organizations have trained more than 2 million leaders worldwide. Dr. Maxwell is the founder of EQUIP and INJOY Stewardship Services. Every year he speaks to Fortune 500 companies, international government leaders, and audiences as diverse as the United States Military Ac...more
More about John C. Maxwell...
The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership Developing the Leader Within You Winning with People Failing Forward: How to Make the Most of Your Mistakes The 360 Degree Leader: Developing Your Influence from Anywhere in the Organization

“If we did all the things we were capable of doing,” he once said, “we would literally astound ourselves.” 1 likes
“The future belongs to those who see possibilities before they become obvious. —John Sculley Former CEO of Pepsi and Apple Computer” 0 likes