Expressing the Inner Wild: Tattoos, Piercings, Jewelry, and Other Body Art

Expressing the Inner Wild: Tattoos, Piercings, Jewelry, and Other Body Art

2.82 of 5 stars 2.82  ·  rating details  ·  11 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Maybe you've noticed Kanye West's grill of gold and diamonds on his bottom teeth or admired Nicki Minaj's crazy wigs. But have you checked out Chris "The Duchess" Walton, a singer from Las Vegas, who has fingernails that are 20 feet (6 meters) long? Or Julia Gnuse, who is called the Illustrated Lady because her entire body is covered with tattoos? What about baseball playe...more
Published January 1st 2014 by Twenty-First Century Books (CT)

To ask other readers questions about Expressing the Inner Wild, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Expressing the Inner Wild

Jillyn
I saw the striking cover of this book, and then I read the name, and I knew this was a book that I'd have to read. I'm no stranger to piercings, having had eight over the course of my 21 years so far. And, though I haven't gotten any tattoos, I adore them (and my girlfriend has a few too). I wasn't sure exactly what to expect, but I know that I was left wanting a more thorough book.

This book aims to teach a history of sorts of how certain "modern" fashions started, and to illustrate that they're...more
Lucie Fuentes
A beautiful book that mixes old time and modernity to show and let the reader experiences the diversity of Body Art.

This book examines trends, stars' extravagances with their hairstyles, their nails and how they spend money on jewelry and make a parallel with the stars of ancient Egypt.

A parallel between ancient practices of body modification and the current way in which it is translated.
For example, you learn that Shakespeare was wearing earings, that Nefertiti has established our nowadays smok...more
Rebecca Honeycutt
Though it's by no means comprehensive, and the celebrity references will date it quickly, the colorful and ample photos of body art make this one perfect for browsing or for engaging reluctant teen readers.
PWRL
May 27, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2014-new
E
Ryan
A great book for teens and tweens about various body modifications. I just wish it could have more information on the negative of body modification.
Nenia Campbell
You can read more of my reviews, faster, at my blog, The Armchair Librarian.

I was hoping for a photo album-style coffee table book that featured weird and wacky candids, kind of like the Poorly Dressed subdivision of FailBlog, mixed with a bit of Look at This Fucking Hipster. Expressing the Inner Wild is more of a textbook-style analysis of body modifications and enhancements across cultures - written in a style accessible for kids.

I'm not quite sure what the target audience for this book is, ho...more
Fallon
Fallon added it
Jun 18, 2014
Awjtf
Awjtf marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Shawna
Shawna added it
Apr 19, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Mrs. Murfee
Mrs. Murfee marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
SCPL Teens
SCPL Teens marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Dena
Dena added it
Mar 04, 2014
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2013